Everton | Roberto Martínez

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Not too difficult when you've a player of Lukaku's quality up front and not having to rely on Brian McBride, Tomas Radzinski, Victor Anichebe, etc. for goals, which Moyes had to do for years there.

Credit to Martinez, but Moyes left him a hell of a squad to work with.
Martinez has also done this without there best player from the pervious few seasons. Fellaini.

Varun

Staff
Not too difficult when you've a player of Lukaku's quality up front and not having to rely on Brian McBride, Tomas Radzinski, Victor Anichebe, etc. for goals, which Moyes had to do for years there.

Hell of a squad? Really? And yes, Lukaku has been a big plus but surely you see how Martinez's style of play is what's got them to this stage rather than simply a case of a better striker upfront?

gasmanc

Banned

:lol:
The nightmare continues, your the gift that keeps on giving recently.

Blasphemy

He's using a totally different midfield three, a different winger and a different striker to Moyes. Not to mention a totally different playstyle. He's transformed the team.

starman

Much like when Arse took over Asre, both were left with a very solid back 4. Moyes is a defensive manager, Everton arguably have 3 of the best defenders in league in Coleman, Banies and Jagielka. Martinez has benefited from this, allowing him to strengthen in attacking areas and safe in the knowledge he can mold the philosophy he had at Wigan, safe in the knowledge he as a very solid base to build on. Martinez has benefited, but he deserves a lot of credit for the football they have adopted.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Much like when Arse took over Asre, both were left with a very solid back 4. Moyes is a defensive manager, Everton arguably have 3 of the best defenders in league in Coleman, Banies and Jagielka. Martinez has benefited from this, allowing him to strengthen in attacking areas and safe in the knowledge he can mold the philosophy he had at Wigan, safe in the knowledge he as a very solid base to build on. Martinez has benefited, but he deserves a lot of credit for the football they have adopted.
So we've basically got the equivalent of George Graham. Glorious.

MJJ

Not too difficult when you've a player of Lukaku's quality up front and not having to rely on Brian McBride, Tomas Radzinski, Victo'r Anichebe, etc. for goals, which Moyes had to do for years there.

Poor moyes, being forced to sign all those shit strikers against his will. Wonder who scouted them given moyes obsession with every knowledge about his targets.

And shame moyes couldn't achieve as much as Martinez with a much better squad. Oh well, guess that Ferguson fella wasnt all that, leaving a shit squad and everything.

ecantona7

Whatever happens, there are always things you coul

Like how Fergie left Moyes with a wayyyyyyyyyyy better squad and look where we are now? I hope Moyes succeeds here, I really do, but you'd have to be a numbskull or united fan to pick Moyes over Martinez. Ask fans of any other club other than united and everton and most if not all would pick martinez over moyes all day.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Poor moyes, being forced to sign all those shit strikers against his will. Wonder who scouted them given moyes obsession with every knowledge about his targets.

And shame moyes couldn't achieve as much as Martinez with a much better squad. Oh well, guess that Ferguson fella wasnt all that, leaving a shit squad and everything.
I know Moyes having to make do with Van Persie and Rooney. It's actually shocking we are 7th with firepower like that...

Smores

I actually wanted Martinez here but he'll need to maintain Evertons results next year before he deserves the praise bestowed upon him, at least in terms of results he deserves nothing but praise for style.
I'll be surprised if they manage to actually qualify for Europe and don't drop back down to 6th/7th after they lose their loan players.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
What does this say?
Basically that while Moyes wasn't a bad manager, in the reporter's opinion, Martinez is more committed to attacking than Moyes. He says Moyes was more the type to play not to lose rather than play to win. He says Martinez has freshened things up and that he has an easier way with people and the media than Moyes, although he says everyone on Merseyside respected Moyes and still do. He says he's surprised by how badly Moyes has done and would give him time to bring his own players in.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
Basically that while Moyes wasn't a bad manager, in the reporter's opinion, Martinez is more committed to attacking than Moyes. He says Moyes was more the type to play not to lose rather than play to win. He says Martinez has freshened things up and that he has an easier way with people and the media than Moyes, although he says everyone on Merseyside respected Moyes and still do. He says he's surprised by how badly Moyes has done and would give him time to bring his own players in.
Thanks.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
They were saying on the radio yesterday how Martinez has revitalised Naismith's career, whereas it was going nowhere under Moyes.

Having watched pretty much all of Naismith's career I firmly believe Martinez may be God for getting him to look like a decent player.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
:lol: Didn't Moyes just sign him last season?
Appears so, but looks like he has had a much better season this year than last.

Steven Naismith signed a four-year deal for Everton on 4 July 2012,[74] joining his previous striking partner at Rangers, Nikica Jelavić. There was no transfer fee involved as the player had refused to have his contract transferred from the old to the new company controlling Rangers as the club was liquidated.[75] The nature of the move, described by Naismith as "one of the hardest decisions" of his football career,[76] required FIFA to grant provisional international clearance, which allowed him to play in England while arbitration over the movement of assets out of Rangers continued.

He made his debut for the Toffees as an 89th minute substitute during Everton's first match of the season, a 1–0 league victory over Manchester United.[77] and scored his first competitive goal for Everton on 28 October in a derby against Liverpool.[78] He scored the final goal of David Moyes 11-year reign in Everton's 2–1 defeat to Chelsea on the final day of the season. Afterwards, Naismith stated that he had not shown his best form during the year.[79] In his debut season, Naismith was the most used substitute at the club with 20 appearances from the bench.[80]

Naismith made a rare league start in September 2013 and made the most of the opportunity as he scored the game's only goal as Everton defeated Chelsea 1–0 at home.[81] Late in the 2013-14 season, Naismith embarked on a good run of form that coincided with Everton winning seven league matches in a row, culminating with a pair of man-of-the-match performances against both Fulham F.C and Arsenal F.C. [82]

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
I must have imagined that home defeat to Crystal Palace; obviously, it didn't happen.

MarcRed96

Naismith has been on great form in recent weeks, definitely had a better season than last year. At least this season (well, in the last couple of weeks) he looks like a player who should be playing in the Premier League. Martinez probably does deserve some credit for that.

I saw Naismith when he was a young player at Kilmarnock and he definitely had the potential to become a good player. He was doing well with Rangers until he suffered a serious injury that kept him out for ages, if I remember correctly. Hasn't really seemed the same since. He's a hard worker but seems very limited in comparison to Everton's other players.

MarcRed96

I must have imagined that home defeat to Crystal Palace; obviously, it didn't happen.
It'll probably cost them a top four place. Looking at their upcoming fixtures (and comparing them to Arsenal's) that was the one game they really couldn't afford to drop points in.

Regardless, they've had a very good season and Martinez has done a great job with them.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Why? It's just one game that would get brushed under the carpet if they beat us this weekend. Getting fifth at the end of the day is a great season for Everton considering they had a new manager and lost their best player in the summer.

What I wish we were imagining is the fact that Pulis has almost as many points as Moyes has had with United since he joined Palace.

LR7

It'll probably cost them a top four place. Looking at their upcoming fixtures (and comparing them to Arsenal's) that was the one game they really couldn't afford to drop points in.

Regardless, they've had a very good season and Martinez has done a great job with them.
Exactly. It's not like he's dragged them down six places or has them playing awful football or anything.

Aboutreika18

Moyes used Naismith in a wide, functional role where his lack of pace and skill on the ball were pretty exposed, whereas Martinez has used him more often in a central role where his goal poaching and good football brain can be better exploited.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
Why? It's just one game that would get brushed under the carpet if they beat us this weekend. Getting fifth at the end of the day is a great season for Everton considering they had a new manager and lost their best player in the summer.

What I wish we were imagining is the fact that Pulis has almost as many points as Moyes has had with United since he joined Palace.
Best player in a certain system. He wouldn't be their best player this season under Martinez.

I'm sticking to my view that Martinez will struggle when it comes to re building that defence. Also, replacing Lukaku with a player that can score 20 goals a season will be difficult without CL football as well (unless they get Lukaku in on loan again). Good season, but in the long run I think there will be problems. That defence is hardly young, and there isn't much money to replace them plus Lukaku and Deulofeu.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
:lol:

There, in one, succinct sentence, the whole scenario is summed up.

Some clowns here want to pin the blame on Moyes for EVERYTHING. It's beyond tiresome now.
There should be balance between people blaming moyes for everything and then people like you who refuse to credit Martinez for anything.

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Best player in a certain system. He wouldn't be their best player this season under Martinez.

I'm sticking to my view that Martinez will struggle when it comes to re building that defence. Also, replacing Lukaku with a player that can score 20 goals a season will be difficult without CL football as well (unless they get Lukaku in on loan again). Good season, but in the long run I think there will be problems. That defence is hardly young, and there isn't much money to replace them plus Lukaku and Deulofeu.
Coleman, Baines and Stones looks a decent future defence.They've been linked with Lukaku on a permanent transfer so that'll sort his striker out.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
There should be balance between people blaming moyes for everything and then people like you who refuse to credit Martinez for anything.
Martinez's job at Everton is as tough if not tougher than Moyes' at United and he has done remarkably well there. I think he'll actually improve next season (Martinez not Moyes obviously).

Barney

Supports
Liverpool
Martinez's job at Everton is as tough if not tougher than Moyes' at United and he has done remarkably well there. I think he'll actually improve next season (Martinez not Moyes obviously).
I expect both to. I also expect City, us and Chelsea to as well.

LR7

Spot on.
It's funny because people on both sides of the Moyes debate refuse to see that he's being both criticised excessively AND defended excessively.