Everton - What next?

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Let’s see. I’m not going to make judgements on 3 or 4 games.
Don't think it's rash judgements though. Are players overperforming to a weird extent, or is it just a quality group of players? Ancelotti we always knew was a quality manager, he's shown it his whole career and got the trust this summer.
  • Coleman and Digne have always been quality fullbacks
  • Allan was a top class holding midfielder at Napoli, is still in his prime
  • James Rodriguez has been a star since the 2014 world cup, and performs when he plays but just wasn't wanted by Zidane (not the first time Real Madrid sells a player who is still quality)
  • Richarlison a very good wide forward/striker with huge potential, shows it every season
Calvert Lewin is the one who "might" be overperforming. But with him it just seems like Ancelotti brought a new level out of him and he just looks a very good striker now. It has been going on for all of 2020 pretty much with him. I just don't see anything "fluke" like about their start. They have a quality starting 11 (one that I definitely can't say is any worse than any of the other top 4 challengers, especially in those key 6 positions), with the clear best manager and most proven out of all the other sides after Liverpool and City. On top of that, fixture congestion will be huge for every team in a European competition. Everton doesn't have that strain.

If they sort out the goalkeeper position, then definites in there for me. If not, then who knows, Pickford really is shite so it can kill a quality team.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
Don't think it's rash judgements though. Are players overperforming to a weird extent, or is it just a quality group of players? Ancelotti we always knew was a quality manager, he's shown it his whole career and got the trust this summer.
  • James Rodriguez has been a star since the 2014 world cup, and performs when he plays but just wasn't wanted by Zidane (not the first time Real Madrid sells a player who is still quality)
  • Richarlison a very good wide forward/striker with huge potential, shows it every season
Calvert Lewin is the one who "might" be overperforming. But with him it just seems like Ancelotti brought a new level out of him and he just looks a very good striker now. It has been going on for all of 2020 pretty much with him. I just don't see anything "fluke" like about their start. They have a quality starting 11 (one that I definitely can't say is any worse than any of the other top 4 challengers, especially in those key 6 positions), with the clear best manager and most proven out of all the other sides after Liverpool and City. On top of that, fixture congestion will be huge for every team in a European competition. Everton doesn't have that strain.

If they sort out the goalkeeper position, then definites in there for me. If not, then who knows, Pickford really is shite so it can kill a quality team.
Robben comes to mind.

Skills

Snitch
Allan, Doucoure & James have cost slightly more than what we paid for VDB (a back up CM), less than what we paid for AWB & half as much we paid for Harry Maguire.

Insert some bollocks about us not backing managers.

Paul_Scholes18

They could win it or fight for the title. Better team then Leicester when they won it.
If they can finally win over Liverpool it will give them momentum.
Not having Europe is a big plus this season over all other top clubs.
It allow them to keep playing the same starters for most games without being burned out by too many games.
I think they will probably drop down when the pressure is on, but Anchelotti might be able to change the mentality. Pickford is a problem too.

Suv666

I remember advocating taking a punt on James when he was moving to Bayern, when everyone was writing him off. Always felt like there was a decent player in him. Just needed the right manager to get the best out of him.

Tbf did not anticipate he would shine this much in the PL and doubt Mourinho would have gotten the best out of him. Lets see how he does over the course of the season.
Everton look like a top 4 challenger right now. Great to watch too.

Suv666

They could win it or fight for the title. Better team then Leicester when they won it.
It allow them to keep playing the same starters for most games without being burned out by too many games.
I think they will probably drop down when the pressure is on, but Anchelotti might be able to change the mentality. Pickford is a problem too.
Doubt they can win it. The league was very weak when LCFC won it (not taking anything away from them, a historic win) Liverpool and City have got much much stronger squads than anything kicking about in those days.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
How exactly? Leicester was the best team over 38 games, Everton have played 4 games.

So much knee-jerking going on.

TheLiverBird

How exactly? Leicester was the best team over 38 games, Everton have played 4 games.

So much knee-jerking going on.
I don’t think it’s knee Jerk to state this Everton side is better than the title winning Leicester side of 2016 player for player.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Even if they keep up this form they’ll still lose.both derbies because they’re Liverpool’s bitch.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
No point him being manager then. So their tactic is spend no money, watch Ole fail which will give a good excuse to sack him.
They've given Ole more than £200 million to spend. Maybe they're expecting that to be enough to get where they want to be*.

*where they want to be might be different from where the fans what the club to be.

G4stars

They've given Ole more than £200 million to spend. Maybe they're expecting that to be enough to get where they want to be*.

*where they want to be might be different from where the fans what the club to be.
Depends on the squad you inherited, look how much was spent before him on complete dross. Having to shift out a load of deadwood no one wants.

Paul_Scholes18

Doubt they can win it. The league was very weak when LCFC won it (not taking anything away from them, a historic win) Liverpool and City have got much much stronger squads than anything kicking about in those days.
I don't think they will win it. Think Liverpool again, but if they get some luck and can avoid injuries who knows. They got a very good manager and have some top players in the squad now.

Che Guevara

Supports
Celtic
On the basis of early showings so far, Everton are really looking very good and quite balanced. Their only weakness is the keeper who is utter crap. How he is England's number 1 is beyond me. If Carlo gets Romero or another decent keeper he is a dead cert for top 4. Leicester had a similar start and were laughed off by everybody until it was too late.

Last edited:

Cloud7

After today I'm all in the Everton to win the league camp

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Their kit is blue... Ageing Italian former Chelsea manager... Unfancied English striker who started in the lower leagues banging in goals... The parallels are there

Could they?

If they sign a decent keeper tomorrow I’ll start to truly believe.

Paul_Scholes18

Their kit is blue... Ageing Italian former Chelsea manager... Unfancied English striker who started on the lower leagues banging in goals... The parallels are there

Could they?

If they sign a decent keeper tomorrow I’ll start to truly believe.
Yeah Pickford is the biggest reason for them not to win it. If they could get Henderson they would be a serious force.
Having no Europe is going to help them out a lot I think too.

Enigma_87

You know who

He scored 13 goals last year in Prem. He's a solid striker that looks like can bang them in. Probably a good 15 goals per season striker at this level.

They have a good team, but most importantly a quality manager.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
After seeing the comparisons to the 15-16 Leicester team I’ve decided to compare them & see which one I think is stronger. They play different formations, so liberties will be taken, lets just pretend they both play 4-4-2 & Andre Gomes plays left wing, just to make it easier

GK- Schmeichel > Pickford
RB- Coleman > Simpson
CB- Keane > Morgan
CB- Huth > Mina
LB- Digne > Fuchs
RM- Mahrez=James
CM- Kante > Doucoure
CM- Allan > Drinkwater
LM- Gomes > Albrighton
CF- Richarlison > Okazaki
CF- Vardy > Calvert-Lewin

Everton have a much stronger bench than the Leicester champions had too.

It’ll be much harder for them to win it than Leicester. Liverpool & Chelsea were in absolute free fall that season. Us & City had dinosaurs in charge & their challengers were Spurs & Arsenal. I can’t see the cards falling as perfectly for Everton.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018
Shows what possible with a suitable manager in charge.
Ah early days. Carlo's a good guy and a good manager but there wasn't much going on last season there. His new arrivals have been on fire so far but not sure how long that can last. We'll see where we ar at Christmas.

Paul_Scholes18

Ah early days. Carlo's a good guy and a good manager but there wasn't much going on last season there. His new arrivals have been on fire so far but not sure how long that can last. We'll see where we ar at Christmas.
He improved them when he came too. I think they struggled after the Covid break when they had little motivation in the league.

Skills

Snitch
After seeing the comparisons to the 15-16 Leicester team I’ve decided to compare them & see which one I think is stronger. They play different formations, so liberties will be taken, lets just pretend they both play 4-4-2 & Andre Gomes plays left wing, just to make it easier

GK- Schmeichel > Pickford
RB- Coleman > Simpson
CB- Keane > Morgan
CB- Huth > Mina
LB- Digne > Fuchs
RM- Mahrez=James
CM- Kante > Doucoure
CM- Allan > Drinkwater
LM- Gomes > Albrighton
CF- Richarlison > Okazaki
CF- Vardy > Calvert-Lewin

Everton have a much stronger bench than the Leicester champions had too.

It’ll be much harder for them to win it than Leicester. Liverpool & Chelsea were in absolute free fall that season. Us & City had dinosaurs in charge & their challengers were Spurs & Arsenal. I can’t see the cards falling as perfectly for Everton.
Keane's not better than Morgan.

SambaBoy

Bit of a knee-jerk talking about them winning the league. A team like Everton win 4 games consecutively every season. It's just its came at the start of the season for them. They'll start to pick up some bad results soon.

Main challenge for them is trying to break into the top 6, which will depend on DCL's maintaining form and not getting injuries to key players.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Even if his finishing is very hit and miss they badly miss Richarlison in final third. DCL been feeding off scraps today.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Even if his finishing is very hit and miss they badly miss Richarlison in final third. DCL been feeding off scraps today.
It’s not just having him as someone to run off DCL but his work rate defensively is crucial for us too. He’s our best player by far and we would have probably beaten Newcastle and nabbed a draw here today with him.

We have been well and truly hit by karma in the last few games.

Wilson had a few decisions in the Newcaslt game that could have added up to a red and Maguire was lucky in the challenge on Digne too. Making up for the Pickford - VVD incident.

I am still not worried about us when we have our starting 11 all fit and available though, it’s a great side. Just struggles when we have 1 or 2 missing.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
That's the Everton we know and have no strong feelings for either way.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
Ancelotti summed up in a nutshell so far this season.

When it's good it's amazing but when things hit the skids he doesn't react and change things quick enough and it festers into a really poor run, it's why his league record is so bad (considering the club's he's managed) and it's why I wasn't too upset when he left us despite the memories of the double.