Everton - What next?

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I'm curious too. Important players injured? Too much rotation? Change in formation?
Yeah Digne and Coleman are big misses, hardly have any back up at full back.

Defensively they're still not great, even in their four match winning start they conceded two goals v West Brom and Brighton.

Statue of Limitations

With Everton, I think it's that they have a very strong first XI but the depth let's them down a bit.

I wouldn't discount them from the top 6, maybe higher if they do good business in Jan.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
1 win in their last 7 league games. Freefall.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In your first 9 games last season you only won 2 of them and still ended up top 4 because the latter end of the season saw you with Fernandes and a much more solid contingent than at the start. In the last 7 games we have dealt with injuries and suspensions to key players - at least 2 of them in each of those games which for a club like ours is dramatic on the way the team plays and performs because our quality disparity between the first team and the bench is big. Like @BigDunc9 says, with a bit of luck we should still be in contention for top 7.

Changing from a 4 at the back to a 5 suddenly with Delph and Iwobi or Iwobi and Davies as wingbacks is way different to having Digne and Coleman.

Chipper

Adulterer.
What's happened to Richarlison's goal output?

It's obviously good for them that Calvert-Lewin is doing his thing and while he does they have a chance in games. Got to get some help at some point though either from others scoring or the defence keeping a clean sheet.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

It's obviously good for them that Calvert-Lewin is doing his thing and while he does they have a chance in games. Got to get some help at some point though either from others scoring or the defence keeping a clean sheet.
He’s not playing in a 4-4-2 anymore with DCL laying off to him as much/running in behind. We are playing more with a purpose to treat DCL as a focal point. He will chip in here and there and get 10+ I think at the end of the season but I expect DCL to be on 20+ in this one rather than them being even.

Chipper

Adulterer.

Meant to bump this the other day when Richarlison scored and they kept a clean sheet. That's the winning formula.

2 clean sheets in a row = 2 wins, hopefully I haven't cursed them ahead of the Arsenal match as I like laughing at Arsenal. Mind you, an Arsenal win is better for United.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
DCL's last league goal was on Dec 5th, 7 league games without a goal.

Richarlison scored only 2 league goals this season.

James - Last 10 games, just 2 goal contributions.

Looks like their biggest attacking threats have had poor months now.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
DCL's last league goal was on Dec 5th, 7 league games without a goal.

Richarlison scored only 2 league goals this season.

James - Last 10 games, just 2 goal contributions.

Looks like their biggest attacking threats have had poor months now.
personally not worried about DCL and Rodriguez. You can see that they still have quality and are playing well, luck has just gone against those two in recent weeks and they’ve been dealing with injuries.

Richarlison is definitely in terrible form though and I’m not sure why. He’s still doing the leg work but on the ball he’s been dreadful.

hopefully King will give us a boost in terms of egging on other players.

Pep's Suit

They lack goals from midfield when their front three don't perform.

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
They looked really good at the start of the season but don't really have a plan b it seems that comes anywhere near to supplementing their plan a if that's off.

What's happened to Gomes by the way? I know he had that horror injury, but he was honestly the best player on the pitch when we played them away last season, and he always seems to be up there when I watch them (granted, not too often).

Can any toffee on here fill me in on this? Always thought he was destined for bigger things.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Ben Godfrey is one to keep an eye on over the next few years. I’m genuinely shocked at how good he has been this season.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
personally not worried about DCL and Rodriguez. You can see that they still have quality and are playing well, luck has just gone against those two in recent weeks and they’ve been dealing with injuries.

Richarlison is definitely in terrible form though and I’m not sure why. He’s still doing the leg work but on the ball he’s been dreadful.

hopefully King will give us a boost in terms of egging on other players.
You are welcome @SilentWitness

IrishBlue1

Supports
Everton
Ben Godfrey is a beast, fantastic signing.
Signing of the season for me, more so than James Rodriguez on a free transfer.

Has to start every game now.
Richarlison’s form has dropped off a cliff too. The effort is still there but end product has disappeared.

Ludens the Red

Strange team. Very similar to us actually. I watch them play and I can’t work out what their style of play is. They seem to start games really badly too.
Find them very dull and unconvincing. They’re a team who sometimes score goals and sometimes concede goals. But they’ve got a few really good/efficient players, namely DCL, James and Digne who bail them out.
That’s three home games in a row I’ve watched 90minutes of and they were complete and utterly useless in all three games. Maybe created about four decent chances across the three game(Yet scored three from three shots at Old Trafford :rolleyes:)
Somehow still 7th and with a shout for Top 4. Maybe that says more about the league...

el3mel

Obviously Carlo is a great manager but the notion that he plays great football or something is a big myth.

SqualorVictoria

Supports
City
Obviously Carlo is a great manager but the notion that he plays great football or something is a big myth.
You gotta admire how he tries to adapt to the perceived footballing culture everywhere he goes though! Yesterday they tried to play some absolutely ineffective and woeful route one football that even Burnley would have been laughed at. To be fair to him, his Chelsea side was pretty decent back in the day, but you get a similar sense of his coaching methods for the modern day as with Mourinho. At least he's a nice guy I guess.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Ben Godfrey is one to keep an eye on over the next few years. I’m genuinely shocked at how good he has been this season.
Not for me, he’s got all the tools. I listed him in one of my transfer wish lists as a punt worth taking. He’s going to have a very good career

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
We played great football at the start of the season when we had a fully fit and ready team available. Since our winning start though we have been plagued by injuries and suspensions to our first team players and I really haven't seen a side that becomes as disrupted and poor as us when we have to use some of our squad players - still working out if that is down to poor coaching or that the players need to take some responsibility.

He's still fairly tactically astute and he's much better than Silva which is seen through his ability to drag us away from relegation last year and that we are still in the fight for Europe despite playing like dogshit on multiple occasions this year but he's not a top top manager anymore. Would still have him over pretty much anyone else that we would be able to get.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Just watching this video that Sky put out today... some of these Everton reds are an absolute joke :lol:

Some fond memories for you i'm sure @SilentWitness ... That Pienaar one takes the biscuit!

Last edited:

The Corinthian

I will not take Mad Winger's name in vain
Supports
A Free Palestine
The Jack Rodwell one, wow. Just shows you what a snivelling, cheating little cretin Suarez really is.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Just watching this video that Sky put out today... some of these Everton reds are an absolute joke :lol:

Some fond memories for you i'm sure @SilentWitness ... That Pienaar one takes the biscuit!
Didn't even realise it was the derby this weekend. Should be a fiesty one if Everton's aggression in the reverse fixture is anything to go by.

If United were the recipients of some of those red cards I'd be seething, the Rodwell one is an absolute joke.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Can't believe it's been 22 years since they last won at Anfield.

They finally got it done, this is on par with Ancelotti winning the Champion's League

Cloud7

Well done to Ancelloti and his boys. In years gone by, no matter how much Liverpool were reeling, you knew they were still going to win this fixture. Good on Everton for finally breaking that curse.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
This season has addressed a lot of issues in the side despite how well we have done so far.

GK - Pickford is performing well recently but is still too unreliable to be no.1 for a European side
LB - fine.
CB - fine, Keane, Holgate, Mina and Godfrey are all good options.
RB - Need. Coleman is not good enough and Holgate isn't expressive enough going forward.
CM - Allan and Doucoure are good enough, Davies is performing well recently too. Need extra backup / young talent for the future.
Wingers - Desperately needed. Iwobi / Bernard etc. are not good enough as first team options.
CAM - Need. Rodriguez is great but a sick note. Siggy has performed well recently but age / not consistent enough.
ST/CF - DCL still needs to improve on his finishing but he's an excellent all round ST now. Richarlison absolutely must be played as a CF from now on, it was evident last season that it was his best position and it is no surprise now that his form has picked up since being moved there from the wing.

So that's basically RB, CM and RW/LW that should be priorities this summer. GK an area to look at too.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Fading a bit now. Terrible result at home. Would really like to see them finish above Liverpool.

What's the injury keeping James out?

el3mel

Fading a bit now. Terrible result at home. Would really like to see them finish above Liverpool.

I swear James has spent most of this season injured. I don't know if this is actually true or it belongs to the "weird feelings of football" thread. :lol:

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I swear James has spent most of this season injured. I don't know if this is actually true or it belongs to the "weird feelings of football" thread. :lol:
Yeah, I almost feel like he doesn't play for them.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

dogshit at home all season. He has muscle injuries.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Iwobi is one of the worst signings in PL history. Offered absolutely nothing today and couldn’t even pick a pass. Really bad and stayed on.

I think that is the single biggest issue

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
dogshit at home all season. He has muscle injuries.
Damn. Yeah, I felt a marked difference when you were allowed a few people in. Such a shame you're not capitalising on beating Liverpool.

Injuries are affecting almost everyone now (well, not City).

edit: and it's a shame Burnley are getting their act together.

Pep's Suit

Iwobi's terrible and I don't rate Davies at all but the rest should be good enough to beat Burnley at home. However, maybe Everton simply overperformed for some time. James was good in first few weeks but you can say he should move to Miami or LA rather sooner than later and DLC scored only 3 goals in last 14 games. Both Everton and Villa lacked a reliable goalscorer in last 2 months a lot and without that anyone can beat almost anyone in PL.