Duncan Ferguson 7/2
Roberto Martinez 4/1
Frank Lampard 13/2
Paulo Fonseca 10/1
Graham Potter 12/1
Nuno Espirito Santo 16/1
Michael Carrick 16/1
Lucien Favre 20/1

Not very inspiring is it. I'd get Dunc in as caretaker and try everything to get Potter. Aside from that it's really difficult to say who i'd want from that list as I wouldn't want any. Lampard and Rooney have both had their moments but their naivety in a PL relegation battle would be too risky.
Yeah you're struggling here. There are plenty of other promising managers who could do a job, but with the mess behind the scenes their chances of success are slim. I don't think Potter takes it either for the same reason.

Telsim

Maybe they interim and go for Pochettino in the summer? Everyone wins. :smirk:

Mr.Plow

What a joke if they appoint Martinez. Achieving nothing with arguably the best squad of international players suddenly makes him good enough when he wasn't before? How he even got the Belgium job to begin with is extremely questionably, guy's made a career out of falling up.

Frank Rizzo

Supports
Yankees
With football matters being so convoluted at the moment, I'm seeing Benitez back to Newcastle and Howe ending up at Everton with Ferguson in charge in the meantime.

I don't think Everton fans will accept Martinez returning. I like Martinez. Although he's not a 'top of the range' manager he seems a decent man.

Don't know how likely or plausible this is, just a hunch.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Not surprising. Hopefully he gives us a morale boost like last time.

luke511

No love for Sean Dyche, bizarre seeing so many names suggested before him. His new contract could have something to do with it mind.

DavidDeSchmikes

From the Athletic today

Everton are now working with a skeleton staff across all footballing areas, from the managerial position to recruitment, development and medical.

But the search for a new manager, led by Moshiri, continues apace. They cannot afford to get it wrong but have an outmoded system susceptible to interference.

The decisions to shortlist Vitor Pereira — a man spurned already on multiple separate occasions by Everton and most recently sacked after six months by Fenerbahce — and speak to Fabio Cannavaro have done nothing to assuage fears the hierarchy can be easily led by high-profile agents like Kia Joorabchian (he represents them both).

Idxomer

Everton don't want to admit it but Big Sam might be their best option.

NoPace

Everton don't want to admit it but Big Sam might be their best option.
Wouldn't be crazy. 4 points up and one game in hand on Newcastle. They have a 4-4-2 squad because of Benitez and their 2 best players being forwards. Depressing, but they could do worse than Big Sam for 18 games and spend the time evaluating some exciting foreign managers who might actually take the job like the Prague fella or the guy at Bodo and people like that.

Pintu

This doesn’t sound smart. I think Moshiri’s best move now would be to keep Duncan for the rest of the season and give the board the time to sort things out calmly. Do things right throughout the club, not just the manager position.

Bringing in a new manager now would just put the players under unnecessary pressure, and the manager himself would be coming into a mess he doesn’t understand much about. It won’t do him much good.

bond19821982

Last Man Standing champion 2019/20
Shame , I would have loved to see him at Everton. I can understand though. He might just do the impossible at Derby and then he will just be flying .

WButlerMU

Everton have always been notable for their lack of logic when choosing coaches, but Frank Lampard is a very odd choice even for them. Bringing in, after the experienced Benitez and Ancelotti, a coach who could not succeed with Chelsea's more established squad is a bad idea.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
From having zero options previously in the season when we had a lot of injuries, it now feels we have too much.

Allan, Delph, Gomes, Doucoure, Richarlison, Gray, Townsend, Iwobi, Tosun, Gordon, Gbamin, Davies, VdB, Rondon, El Ghazi, Dele and DCL. That's 17 recognised first team squad members that can fill 6 positions.

Foxbatt

From having zero options previously in the season when we had a lot of injuries, it now feels we have too much.

Allan, Delph, Gomes, Doucoure, Richarlison, Gray, Townsend, Iwobi, Tosun, Gordon, Gbamin, Davies, VdB, Rondon, El Ghazi, Dele and DCL. That's 17 recognised first team squad members that can fill 6 positions.
That is some serious quality that there is that needed to be gelled into a team. The top 3 teams plays as a team and it is very rare they get individual players trying to do things on their own. It is a team effort unlike at United so far.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Lampard could make them a relegation candidate.

royalewithcheese2006

Supports
A Director of Football
Why does it feel like most of Everton's recent signings are players who are past it or ones who've failed/lost their place at a club doing better than them at a given point of time?
Can't think of many clubs who have so many misses in the transfer market. Who's done well there recently? Doucoure? Richarlison?

Frank has his job cut out. Here's hoping VdB turns it around though.

DT12

Supports
Everton
Demarai Gray has been our player of the season so far so add him to the list of players whose careers received rejuvenation at Everton. Historically we actually have an excellent record of bringing in players for very little money who were going nowhere and turning them into vital players (think the likes of Cahill, Coleman, Baines, Stones, Pienaar, Jagielka, Lescott, Arteta, Calvert-Lewin, Digne) but you're right that more recently we've been throwing silly money at substandard cast-offs (Bolassie, Iwobi, Walcott, Tosun, Schneiderlin, arguably Gomes and Keane). That's been the difference since Moshiri took over. In the past we were spending a couple of million on these risky purchases. Lately it's been 25 million for this Crystal Palace winger, 30 million for that Arsenal bench-warmer (and 45 million for Sigurdsson for crying out loud!). We have been terribly, terribly run for the last few years, which is why that deal they pulled off last night for Deli Alli (basically a free transfer until next season and then a bunch of impractical bonuses that'll never be triggered) was so competently negotiated that I've been listening out for the four horsemen of the apocalypse all day. I can't remember the last time we made such a sensible purchase.

Lampard now has the tools (i.e the players) needed to get us clear of relegation, which is his only task for this season. Our defence is still awful, and footage from his first training session today suggests he's going for a high press (the Roberto Martinez school of "score more than you concede"), which could be risky, but we'll see how it goes. The next 3 league games are very winnable and we ought to be looking for 7 points minimum from them. Our squad is so much better than 16th in the league.

For the first time in a long time I feel some optimism as an Everton fan. Unite the supporters behind Frank (most are fully on board), get us safely in mid table by the end of March, hope for a decent cup run, and then put all focus in the summer on rebuilding the centre of defence.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cheimoon

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Adore Frank and hope he does well tbh. Not sure if the job again may just be slightly too big.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
So after a shocking season at all ends of the club and hearing nothing from the board for months, Moshiri made a statement to the fans yesterday which was a positive move. Finally some communication from the board that they want to make the right steps moving forward.

Today we announced our new sponsor Stake.com - a gambling site which uses crypto.

Good move lads, good move. :rolleyes:

Aside from that disappointment we seem to be bringing in Tarkowski which will be a nice addition to the defence. We have had a terrible record with injuries in our CBs so he will provide a consistent leader in the back 4 + he’s very solid. It’s a start.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Are they really not going to sack Lampard?
I don’t see why we would at this stage. The team improved since he was appointed and that’s without him having a transfer window to address any of the issues and a full pre-season.