Everton - What next?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Can't be arsed starting a new thread for this season so changed the title and will update here.

We are an absolute mess. Our DOF Marcel Brands has just left the club and a lot of things are coming out which dictates the owner is a dodgy cnut who is trying to influence the squad and team.

A few things that have come out. 1. Brands was shocked by the Zaha rumours/enquiries as we had nowhere near the funds to afford him. 2. Iwobi was apparently a Moshiri signing (Dodgy Arsenal link?) 3. Moshiri is basically backing these Ancelotti/Benitez style management appointments while Brands wanted to go down a Potter type route. 4. Moshiri basically wants Benitez to have full control of the club.

Pep's Suit

Full control makes sense if your manager is a proven winner but Rafa's been in decline for 3-4 years at least. Just like Ancelotti. Now he lost 6 out of 8, last win was 2.5 month ago... I think there's zero chance he can turn this around and Everton under Moshiri sounds more and more like Lim's Valencia 'project'.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Lose tonight with a whimper and I'd have thought he'd be sacked. Depends how much Moshiri likes him and rates his chances of pulling through.

Jacko21

Can't be arsed starting a new thread for this season so changed the title and will update here.

We are an absolute mess. Our DOF Marcel Brands has just left the club and a lot of things are coming out which dictates the owner is a dodgy cnut who is trying to influence the squad and team.

A few things that have come out. 1. Brands was shocked by the Zaha rumours/enquiries as we had nowhere near the funds to afford him. 2. Iwobi was apparently a Moshiri signing (Dodgy Arsenal link?) 3. Moshiri is basically backing these Ancelotti/Benitez style management appointments while Brands wanted to go down a Potter type route. 4. Moshiri basically wants Benitez to have full control of the club.
I must've missed this at the time (or just forgot), but I didn't realise Moshiri and Usmanov were long-standing business partners. Sanctioning £30m for Iwobi always seemed bizarre - bet Arsenal couldn't believe their luck.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular

Huh! I saw Brands had left and I thought it was because the results aren't where they should be, so after replacing several coaches, it was time to replace the DoF that hired them. But if I understand this correctly, Brands was actually on to something in the way he would have liked to get things done (or at least, I really like the 'Potter type' idea), but Moshiri messed things up for him and the club. Or how are you interpreting all this?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Huh! I saw Brands had left and I thought it was because the results aren't where they should be, so after replacing several coaches, it was time to replace the DoF that hired them. But if I understand this correctly, Brands was actually on to something in the way he would have liked to get things done (or at least, I really like the 'Potter type' idea), but Moshiri messed things up for him and the club. Or how are you interpreting all this?
Personally I think it's a mix. It's hard to say what is true and what isn't but when I've seen Brands speaking he appeared to be a fella that had the right thinking when it came to football and how to play it. Potter fits the 'Dutch style' of football far more than someone like Benitez too. I reckon Brands is a bit of a scapegoat in this scenario we are in now.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
Personally I think it's a mix. It's hard to say what is true and what isn't but when I've seen Brands speaking he appeared to be a fella that had the right thinking when it came to football and how to play it. Potter fits the 'Dutch style' of football far more than someone like Benitez too. I reckon Brands is a bit of a scapegoat in this scenario we are in now.
Does any of it benefit Everton? I feel like it's a bit of a shitshow - a weird succession of managers and despite the investments and big names you're nowhere near the Top 4 (or 6 - although it's all quite close so far this season).

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Does any of it benefit Everton? I feel like it's a bit of a shitshow - a weird succession of managers and despite the investments and big names you're nowhere near the Top 4 (or 6 - although it's all quite close so far this season).
It is a shitshow and I think it goes back to what I said in the other thread about the owner. I think he doesn't care about the style of football at all, he wants to win a trophy at any cost which is why he keeps splurging cash and bringing in the big name managers who aren't really the type of people to transform and build a squad for present day football. I reckon if he listened to Brands we would be in a much better place.

Cheimoon

Made of cheese
Scout
Supports
no-one in particular
It is a shitshow and I think it goes back to what I said in the other thread about the owner. I think he doesn't care about the style of football at all, he wants to win a trophy at any cost which is why he keeps splurging cash and bringing in the big name managers who aren't really the type of people to transform and build a squad for present day football. I reckon if he listened to Brands we would be in a much better place.
Sounds like Woodward previously. ;)

Anyway, sucks. Anyone asking for him to get out of the club yet? Or what's the situation around that?

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
According to the Athletic, Brands wanted Livramento or Dumfries and Rafa was against the signings. :drool: My manager.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
According to the Athletic, Brands wanted Livramento or Dumfries and Rafa was against the signings. :drool: My manager.
He binned James(which ok) and now Digne too apparently(which WTF?!?!?)

Honestly, one of the most overrated managers i've ever seen. Was at most a very good/great coach in the '00s. Never should have been made manager, all that power ruined what coaching ability he had. Sacked at Liverpool. Sacked at Inter. Failed at Napoli and somehow got the Madrid job - sacked(his successor won 3 CL on the bounce!). Did decent at newcastle where he was massively overrated again just for being Benitez. Then went to fecking China, because he's as finished as Mourinho, without ever having been as good in the first place

Sorry for your club :(

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
We have as many points in the CL group stage as Everton do in the Premier league.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
He binned James(which ok) and now Digne too apparently(which WTF?!?!?)

Honestly, one of the most overrated managers i've ever seen. Was at most a very good/great coach in the '00s. Never should have been made manager, all that power ruined what coaching ability he had. Sacked at Liverpool. Sacked at Inter. Failed at Napoli and somehow got the Madrid job - sacked(his successor won 3 CL on the bounce!). Did decent at newcastle where he was massively overrated again just for being Benitez. Then went to fecking China, because he's as finished as Mourinho, without ever having been as good in the first place

Sorry for your club :(
That's a rather disingenuous summary of the job he did at Liverpool.

Mourinho was also sacked at Chelsea. Hardly tells the story.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Benitez was a great manager. People seem to be dying to go back and rewrite history at the moment. His Valencia team was fantastic and were great to watch too. His achievements there were phenomenal.

His CL win with Liverpool was a massive achievement too. Obviously Klopp’s team and achievements have surpassed that, but he is probably the best coach in the world, not a measuring stick.

It has been going wrong at Everton for a long time. When you look at how much money they have spent, they’re just not anywhere near where they should be. They have wasted millions and millions.

The owner there is a massive problem and it will take a really special coach to change the culture and the psychology at the club, but if this owner is open to the idea of a coach having full control, as has been stated, maybe someone like Potter and his ideas on team bonding and psychology could help shape the identity of the team and give them confidence they haven’t had for a long time.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton

Don't you just love dodgy owners and cnuty agents? :drool:

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I assume Digne set up a good number of goals for Calvert Lewin in last two seasons.

Hope so as fed up to death of Matt Targett hitting the first defender when attempting to cross ten times a match.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I assume Digne set up a good number of goals for Calvert Lewin in last two seasons.

Hope so as fed up to death of Matt Targett hitting the first defender when attempting to cross ten times a match.

Also - " Since the start of last season only Liverpool pair Trent Alexander-Arnold and Andy Robertson have created more clear-cut chances among Premier League defenders."

Enjoy. :(

Wonder Pigeon

'Shelbourne FC Supporter'
Supports
Shelbourne
yes that is very real.

Incidentally, I am the wallet inspector. Need you to DM me urgently about an important matter concerning your wallet.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wayne Rooney 6/5
Duncan Ferguson 7/2
Roberto Martinez 4/1
Frank Lampard 13/2
Paulo Fonseca 10/1
Graham Potter 12/1
Nuno Espirito Santo 16/1
Michael Carrick 16/1
Lucien Favre 20/1

Not very inspiring is it. I'd get Dunc in as caretaker and try everything to get Potter. Aside from that it's really difficult to say who i'd want from that list as I wouldn't want any. Lampard and Rooney have both had their moments but their naivety in a PL relegation battle would be too risky.

dinostar77

That godawful agent Kia Joorabchian, will probably be calling moshiri recommending his clients. Iwobi transfer has him all over it. Parasite of an agent. Got booted from arsenal for his awful recommendations of his own crap clients.

Give the job to big dunc till end of season, he did a good job when he was caretaker.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Didn't Duncan Ferguson do reasonably well last time. Pretty sure he beat Chelsea and also got 1-1 at Man. United although everyone was more bothered he took off Moise Kean after 5 minutes.

I think they'll give him another 5 games and if he gets 2 wins and a draw just extend it to end of the season as Everton would be basically safe by then and can just play out finale.

Just like Newcastle they'd probably give the job to Big Sam....if he hadn't already done it.

Maybe Fonseca or Nuno aswell will come into the mix given they're free agents.

DavidDeSchmikes

Wayne Rooney 6/5
Duncan Ferguson 7/2
Roberto Martinez 4/1
Frank Lampard 13/2
Paulo Fonseca 10/1
Graham Potter 12/1
Nuno Espirito Santo 16/1
Michael Carrick 16/1
Lucien Favre 20/1

Not very inspiring is it. I'd get Dunc in as caretaker and try everything to get Potter. Aside from that it's really difficult to say who i'd want from that list as I wouldn't want any. Lampard and Rooney have both had their moments but their naivety in a PL relegation battle would be too risky.
Seen a few fans suggesting Kovac and Gaithier

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
I always thought Martinez did a decent job at Everton but when you look at it was more of a very good first season, finishing 5th on 72 points with Barkley and Lukaku having excellent seasons and then underachievement in next two, finishing 11th in 14/15 and same position the next season.

Would be typical Everton appointment making no sense given he wouldn't be short term appointment and long term building was unconvincing last time. Certainly Moshiri didn't deem it good enough given one of his first acts was to sack Martinez.

Perhaps they feel he's better now having worked with Belgium but can see Goodison faithful wondering what the hell is going on with decision making and how this could be presented as logical appointment.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I always thought Martinez did a decent job at Everton but when you look at it was more of a very good first season, finishing 5th on 72 points with Barkley and Lukaku having excellent seasons and then underachievement in next two, finishing 11th in 14/15 and same position the next season.

Would be typical Everton appointment making no sense given he wouldn't be short term appointment and long term building was unconvincing last time. Certainly Moshiri didn't deem it good enough given one of his first acts was to sack Martinez.

Perhaps they feel he's better now having worked with Belgium but can see Goodison faithful wondering what the hell is going on with decision making and how this could be presented as logical appointment.
Martinez with our current defence would be fecking lunacy. He's one of the nicest blokes around but he's not a good manager overall. He's one of the most defensively poor managers I've ever seen at the club and he definitely underachieved with the squad he had. I don't even think he's been that good with Belgium.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Martinez would be another poor appointment