Evra criticised over applauding Aluko

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
There’s nothing in it to get worked up about but it does seem strange behaviour for one pundit to applaud the other. I’ve never seen it before.

Neither are the best at punditry, too often stating the obvious rather than anything too incisive or thought provoking. As for the poster who said Aluko is the best pundit by a mile, really ?
To be fair Evra might have been shocked that she knew more than most and/ or that she's in the woman's game and knows more about the mens game than he probably does.

TambourineMan

Supports
Arsenal
It has nothing to do with the left or right or PC culture. The fact is he was being patronising, there is absolutely no way he does that if a male colleague says the same thing.

Imagine if a white person applauded Evra for talking about Physics in the same way. He would be roundly condemned as a patronising racist git. Don’t let the fact that he is a United legend cloud your judgement here.

The feminist movement has many flaws and it has led to actual issues being classed together with numerous non-issues because the movement has become so toxic. It is important we think for ourselves and not jump on the bandwagon of feminist or anti-feminist. There is a grey area short of hitting a woman square in the face and this is one of them.

RedTillI'mDead

A Key Tool
After he did it the second time...

I have little doubt he meant well, bless him, but he's being a patronising git and deserves to be called out.
There is some truth to this, but there is a certain irony that the game itself is segregationist/ sexist, thus it's entirely reasonable to applause a woman for her knowledge of a man's game when her expertise would be expected to be the woman's game and thus she is there for her interpretation of the beautiful game, not necessarily to be the font of all knowledge about trends and history of everyone playing.

So actually even the patronising element could be forgiven.

Bottom line is the problem is with those interpreting the act, not the act itself.

As someone else said...if you go looking for trouble you'll find it and the world seems to be set up for everyone to fail which is not cool.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
There is some truth to this, but there is a certain irony that the game itself is segregationist/ sexist, thus it's entirely reasonable to applause a woman for her knowledge of a man's game when her expertise would be expected to be the woman's game and thus she is there for her interpretation of the beautiful game, not necessarily to be the font of all knowledge about trends and history of everyone playing.

So actually even the patronising element could be forgiven.

Bottom line is the problem is with those interpreting the act, not the act itself.

As someone else said...if you go looking for trouble you'll find it and the world seems to be set up for everyone to fail which is not cool.
Well, of course the patronising can be forgiven. I doubt many want him strung up - just don't think he should do it again.

T_Model101

I love how the article says "he's unlikely to clap again" as if they've had some detailed boardroom debate about it :lol:
Would he have done that to Keane though?

MUFC OK

These days there should be a degree in PC'ness. I say this because it's theory, if you can construe sexism/inequality/unfairness in what would previously be considered a harmless situation, you have pioneered in the field of PC. Finding new ways to be offended and backing these up with rationale that falls down at the slightest scrutiny. This appears to be the greater 'good' that Twitter has been used as a vehicle to drive..

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
People really do want to see issues with sexism/racism/inequality everywhere. Recognizing people for being above average at something that is not usually expected of them is not really wrong IMO and it's not offensive at all. A woman having vast knowledge of man football is not often.

I wonder what the reaction would be if it was a man in a studio ahead of women football and the women in the studio applauded him. Doubt there'd by any outrage.

TambourineMan

Supports
Arsenal
She's not just a woman. She is a footballer who has played over 100 games for her country. It's things like this that allow people to say that men and women aren't treated the same in the workplace. In what you said, you only acknowledge her as a woman instead of a multi-capped international footballer. Do you consider the women you work with as just women or professionals who aren't expected to know less than you? If it's the latter, why would you expect less from Evra?

klsv

Truly hilarious. One article and 4 pages on here with people working themselves up, acting as if there's some sort of an outrage and manhunt on Evra. You're the ones who want to see something in this, not the "left-liberal-pc-police".

RORY65

Truly hilarious. One article and 4 pages on here with people working themselves up, acting as if there's some sort of an outrage and manhunt on Evra. You're the ones who want to see something in this, not the "left-liberal-pc-police".
Exactly, it was a bit cringeworthy and awkward because it came across as patronising but he's not been sacked and there's no huge outcry about it (and rightly so) but as usual it's actually the ones crying "bloody lefty PC snowflakes" who are making it a big deal.

Akshay

Staff
She's not just a woman. She is a footballer who has played over 100 games for her country. It's things like this that allow people to say that men and women aren't treated the same in the workplace. In what you said, you only acknowledge her as a woman instead of a multi-capped international footballer. Do you consider the women you work with as just women or professionals who aren't expected to know less than you? If it's the latter, why would you expect less from Evra?
What about this suggests expecting less from Evra? If a colleague says something insightful you can praise them, man or woman.

TambourineMan

Supports
Arsenal
You praise them yes, not patronise them. He would not have done the same for a male pundit. If you think he would then fair enough but I'd argue that you're being disingenuous.

POF

What I find funny is how many people found that good punditry. It sounded completely unnatural and pre-rehearsed.

AkaAkuma

By the same standards the female presenter was equally patronising 'she knows her stuff, doesn't she'

For me Aluko looked nervous, may well have spoken about it beforehand and both Oakley and Evra were trying to be encouraging.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Sorry, but it was patronising - acknowledge that her insight was useful & she did her homework, but clap?

Has any other pundit clapped their male colleague?

SER19

It’s this extreme leftist filth that has resulted in mass protest votes of huge issues all over the world.

What an absolute joke to even mention it.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
What I find funny is how many people found that good punditry. It sounded completely unnatural and pre-rehearsed.
It did remind me a bit of John Motson, where he always had a cluster of speeches lined up for use at opportune moments. Still, I prefer that to them sounding like they've got no idea about who they're watching.

hobbers

as usual it's actually the ones crying "bloody lefty PC snowflakes" who are making it a big deal.
Exactly what about the reactions in this thread is making it into a big deal?

Twitter indignation leads to small scale guardian article leads to small scale mockery on a 4 page forum thread.

siw2007

It did sound patronising and Evra probably shouldn’t have done it. But I highly doubt he meant to be sexist in any way, he probably was taken a back by her comments (nothing wrong here), wanted to acknowledge it and came out badly.

He shouldnt do it again, but shouldn’t be hounded over it at the same time. If he continues to do it then that’s a different issue but at the moment it’s something people should quickly move on from.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
I don't think it's true of all male pundits, some of them provide insightful analysis now and again.

Indeed, to be honest i'd just settle for less Merson.
Of course they do, but none of them have clapped the other when they have provided something insightful.
At most they'll probably say quietly "oh yeah that's true, that's a good point", or just nod in agreement.

I can't imagine Lampard clapping Rio Ferdinand after he made a point.

But I think we can all agree, less Merson for everybody.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Whilst I do think it's trivial I can see why it can be seen to be patronising. He only clapped because she's a woman and that's where the issue lies.

arthurka

He literally said "that's very good" and applauded. How hard do you have to look at this to derive anything from it other than him giving his colleague credit for clearly having done her homework on a team that most people would likely know very little about?

Also, isn't it more sexist or misogynistic for someone to look at this and think he means it was good "for a woman" than the alleged sexism itself? (though he never actually said anything sexist or misogynistic)

I was always taught that people who go looking for trouble usually find it.
Thats exactly what it is . This had nothing to do with her being a woman it just was a very good analysis .

We truly live in troubled times ..

Last edited:

SER19

Anyone watching a game tonight, choose a pundit, pretend he’s a woman, and watch and listen to interactions with an easily offended mindset. You will be outraged at every disagreement, correction or perceived patronising tone, god forbid when they slag each other.

It’s a non issue and recognising it is the biggest blockade to equality. Keep making victims, you’ll always be victims.

stevoc

Of course they do, but none of them have clapped the other when they have provided something insightful.
At most they'll probably say quietly "oh yeah that's true, that's a good point", or just nod in agreement.
No i can't say i've ever seen that happen, but one day if Phil Neville ever says anything insightful i hope everyone present claps. Maybe even throw in a few pats on the back and high fives while they're at it.

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Shit like this makes me understand why people hate the left. Embarrassing fuss over nothing.
100% this. But but as a right-wing you're backward, fascist, sexist and probably racist don't you know?

Believe it or not but some ultra leftist woman (hope it's not too sexist)MP and activist from Sweden wants to ban fecking urinals!

Her explanation is that they are... sexist. Happy to be governed by reasonable people here in PL.

Oldyella

I can't imagine Lampard clapping Rio Ferdinand after he made a point.

But I think we can all agree, less Merson for everybody.
They are all part of one big boys club though, the same as Evra. I imagine if Joe bloggs off the street was sat there and gave the same analysis he would have clapped in the same way. Patronising? Yes, but i don't think sexism came into it.

Imagine lots of people watching said something along the lines of "good bit of analysis that, wasn't expecting that" simply as she wasn't a familiar face, not because she's female.

Sad that these click bait over reaction articles rise up all the time and muddy waters to the point where claiming someone is an sjw can be an insult when ideally everyone should fight for true social justice.

klsv

100% this. But but as a right-wing you're backward, fascist, sexist and probably racist don't you know?

Believe it or not but some ultra leftist woman (hope it's not too sexist)MP and activist from Sweden wants to ban fecking urinals!

Her explanation is that they are... sexist. Happy to be governed by reasonable people here in PL.
Yes! Enough is enough! First they take our Evra, then they take our urinals! The world has gone mad! Europe awake for the white man's sake! This has gone too far!

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
Yes! Enough is enough! First they take our Evra, then they take our urinals! The world has gone mad! Europe awake for the white man's sake! This has gone too far!
Please stop, my oblique muscles won't take this much of laughter! Seriously, you should think about a comedian role somewhere.

POF

It did remind me a bit of John Motson, where he always had a cluster of speeches lined up for use at opportune moments. Still, I prefer that to them sounding like they've got no idea about who they're watching.
Unfortunately, it came across so scripted that it still sounded like she didn't really know what she was talking about.

To me, Evra's applause seemed like encouragement for someone on the panel who seemed very nervous and uncomfortable being there.

klsv

Please stop, my oblique muscles won't take this much of laughter! Seriously, you should think about a comedian role somewhere.
Sarcasm is the art of the Queers!

Are you really bringing the urinal thing into this? Like really? One member of the marginal leftist party with 21 seats in the parliament proposed this and suddenly the world has gone wrong, Sweden is ruled by looneys, we're all fecking doomed. Meanwhile your far-right party, the last bastion of hope for reasonable Sweden, are climate change deniers and that's just fine!

marktan

You praise them yes, not patronise them. He would not have done the same for a male pundit. If you think he would then fair enough but I'd argue that you're being disingenuous.
The thing is it's Evra, you only have to look at his IG to know that he's a madman. Very animated. Never seen him before doing punditry so how would you know how he'd react to male pundits?

I can see why it'd be patronising if say Alan Shearer did it with no history of applauding his male colleagues, but Evras not a pundit.

Easy way to put this to bed - invite Evra again and just have him applaud a guy. End of story.

SteveTheRed

Seems a pretty innocent thing to do, but as it's 2018 i'm sure it's an attack on women, feminism and a microcosm of the whole feminist movement.

Shame on Evra.