Expectations for season 2023/2024

Salfordlad70

Arsenal will push city very close and could even pip them. Liverpool and Chelsea will be challenging too. We need an elite striker and a good young back up and right now we have neither. Should we not strengthen in the forward department, I’m gonna predict

1. Arsenal
2. City
3. Liverpool
4. Newcastle
5. Chelsea
6. United

If we buy Rasmus and pull off a Kane level striker then maybe…..

1. Arsenal
2. City
3. United
4. Liverpool

I think 3rd is the best we can achieve, but with new owners in place and CL qualification again, we’ll be in a title race within 3 years. It’s all gonna be ok

Sparky Rhiwabon

Arsenal obviously finished second last season, running out of steam towards the end of the season due to a lack of depth but they're having a great window so far with Timber, Havertz and Rice coming in, so top two looks to be between City and Arsenal. Third looks our realistic target but that won’t be easy with Liverpool and Chelsea unlikely to be as bad again.

krazyrobus

4th/5th place, if we don't sign a halfway competent striker, 6th. We ground out too many wins last season.

Rashford the only reliable scorer we have. Unless Bruno, Mount, Garnacho, Antony chip in with significant goals and maybe another striker adds 10 can we say we should be higher. Can Rashford do another 30 goal campaign, I'm not convinced.

Liverpool addressed their midfield issues, Arsenal added strength in depth, can't see Chelsea having another catastrophic season. City are City.

Last edited:

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
5th place, if we don't sign a hallway competent striker, 6th. We ground out too many wins last season.
You’re on to something there. I think we should lobby for a hallway striker ;-)

groovyalbert

it's a mute point
I don't see how we can improve on last season under the current owners. Other than getting to the early knockout stages of the CL, I think we've hit our ceiling with the Glazers.

Denis79

I'm hoping for top 4 but I think that we'll end up 6th or thereabouts.

Salfordlad70

We have to challenge for the title.
Before the cup final with Newcastle I honestly thought we were in with a shout, but sadly we ran out of steam and our paper thin squad was exposed. I agree with an earlier poster. We hit our ceiling with the current owners last season, but a couple of strikers who know where the net is and we can grab a CL spot and with new owners in place we can kick on.

I don’t think we have to challenge for the title this year. We need to improve and stay in the top four and looking at the business our rivals are doing, it’s gonna hard enough achieving that. We have to be patient and we have to back ETH. Things will look a whole lot different in 2 to 3 years time.

RedStarUnited

Before the cup final with Newcastle I honestly thought we were in with a shout, but sadly we ran out of steam and our paper thin squad was exposed. I agree with an earlier poster. We hit our ceiling with the current owners last season, but a couple of strikers who know where the net is and we can grab a CL spot and with new owners in place we can kick on.

I don’t think we have to challenge for the title this year. We need to improve and stay in the top four and looking at the business our rivals are doing, it’s gonna hard enough achieving that. We have to be patient and we have to back ETH. Things will look a whole lot different in 2 to 3 years time.
What business our rivals are doing that is causing concern? City lost Gundogan and replaced him with a lesser player. No one in May thought “If Arsenal had Rice they would be walking this league”, I honestly don't get all the hype for that transfer.

We need a striker and for Antony to kick on. We can challenge for the league if that happens.

Denis79

I also agree that we need to manage our expectations. I find it difficult to envision Liverpool and Chelsea achieving similary poor results in the upcoming season. There will likely be intense competitions for the top four spots.

Dembeza

Damn we probably have the most scarred fan base in the EPL.

People comfortable putting us as 5th or 6th.

Who needs ABU when we have fans like ours.

Rampant Red Rodriguez

Scared of women, so hates them.
Consistency to win every game and stay with the leading pack. To not get turned over in midfield again and not drop 6 points in the first 2 games ffs. I expect us to adapt well to any Casemiro absence. And I expect us to play better build up with our imaginary new Gk and Mason Mount.

I think we will be seeing an improvement on last season and this should help us with the top 2 positions.

Smores

Damn we probably have the most scarred fan base in the EPL.

People comfortable putting us as 5th or 6th.

Who needs ABU when we have fans like ours.
We could go out and buy Kane and they'd still be people putting us 5th or 6th.

When ETH took charge it was a top 4 squad underperforming. We've spent a lot on signings which have actually worked out for once.

It's mental people think 5th or 6th is the placing for a squad containing Onana, Shaw, Varane, Martinez, Casemiro, Bruno, Mount, Rashford. That's a top core of players supported by decent players elsewhere.

No one could demand a title challenge but it's where we should be at with those players.

pascell

A more comfortable top 4 finish, a cup and proof that some players and ten Hag learn from mistakes made last season.

If we see them downing tools again like against Liverpool then there's major cause for concern.

Salfordlad70

I also agree that we need to manage our expectations. I find it difficult to envision Liverpool and Chelsea achieving similary poor results in the upcoming season. There will likely be intense competitions for the top four spots.
That’s where I’m at. Liverpool’s midfield has had major surgery quite likely solved their striker issue and both will spend further. Arsenal and City will be the two dominant clubs and so a fight for the top four is on.

That said, we surprised everyone last year and Mount will improve us, but we have not one decent forward who we can reply upon. Even if we somehow manage Kane to sign on, it’s all about a CL spot and for now that’s ok. Something to build on. After the Brentford and Brighton results less a than year ago the club looked on its knees.

The goal for everyone is to win the league and we have a chance of course, but I’m just being realistic. This season is gonna be a lot of fun and who knows, we might just bag a few gems and do what Arsenal did last year.

Denis79

That’s where I’m at. Liverpool’s midfield has had major surgery quite likely solved their striker issue and both will spend further. Arsenal and City will be the two dominant clubs and so a fight for the top four is on.

That said, we surprised everyone last year and Mount will improve us, but we have not one decent forward who we can reply upon. Even if we somehow manage Kane to sign on, it’s all about a CL spot and for now that’s ok. Something to build on. After the Brentford and Brighton results less a than year ago the club looked on its knees.

The goal for everyone is to win the league and we have a chance of course, but I’m just being realistic. This season is gonna be a lot of fun and who knows, we might just bag a few gems and do what Arsenal did last year.
As long as the positive vibes continue at and around the club I'll be satisfied. I do however expect us to perform a tad better against the stronger teams in the league.

Salfordlad70

As long as the positive vibes continue at and around the club I'll be satisfied. I do however expect us to perform a tad better against the stronger teams in the league.
I’m with ya. We have to stop those occasional spankings because it badly affects moral. I’m sure that will change next season. I really do feel positive

Someone

Something
I trust ETH but I don't think we're spending like a club that wants to close the gap. I think a comfortable top 5 spot is realistic but I still don't know if we'll do better or not.

Redstain

6th place on the premise of this summers activity including the potential purchase of Hojlund. Mount, Hojland and Onana not enough improvement on last season considering the weakness was the attack. It's smug of the club because it's basically saying Rashford's form will need to carry the team again which I don't see happening.

Man-United

Top 4.
We must get Champions League football again, can't go on like being in it one year and out of it the next year.

King Eric 7

I'd be happy with a season similar to the last one, just without the knack of falling apart in some games. I would expect at least one more summer transfer window before we're ready to even mention mounting a title challenge.

glasgow 21

Top 4.
We must get Champions League football again, can't go on like being in it one year and out of it the next year.
March 2023 "We must get Champions League football as we wont get the Tier One signings !!!" Not exactly working in our favour at the moment.

Kag

Some of you must think you support a mid table team.

If Arsenal are thinking about challenging then so should we.
We don’t have a striker and we have zero cover for the only decent genuine central midfielder at the club (Casemiro).

Bring in those boys and then we might be able to reassess.

Todd

I think everyone agrees that the top two spots are City's and Arsenal's to lose.

I can understand why everyone believes Liverpool will be in the mix, based on how they finished last season.

I don't see Chelsea as being back, yet, though. They were absolutely hapless last season and they've lost more than they've gained this summer. And I think Newcastle might be in for a rude awakening with the addition of CL.

I'm still of the opinion that it'll come down to us and Liverpool battling for 3rd and 4th, assuming we sign a second-rate striker. If we pull off a shock signing of a first-rate striker we might be able to put some pressure on City and Arsenal.

Orange Tree

Another top 3 finish with a better GD, a good run in CL and cups. That's my expectation.

My hope is, that we will play brilliant football, end up battling City for the title and winning it.

RedStarUnited

We don’t have a striker and we have zero cover for the only decent genuine central midfielder at the club (Casemiro).

Bring in those boys and then we might be able to reassess.
We have cover we just dont like them. And Arsenal might have Jesus at striker but in total he only scored 2 more goals than Martial last season.

Stop just looking at the negatives.

Kag

We have cover we just dont like them. And Arsenal might have Jesus at striker but in total he only scored 2 more goals than Martial last season.

Stop just looking at the negatives.
McTominay is woeful and the team is markedly worse when Casemiro is out.

I don’t give a monkeys about Jesus. I care about the fact that Martial is entering what must be his eighth season at the club and still can’t be relied upon.

I’m not being negative; I’m calling it as it is. Our squad is not good enough to seriously compete for the title as it stands. It madness to think otherwise. And if you do think otherwise, you’re in for an incredibly frustrating season.

McTerminator

Title challenge and quarter finals in the CL. Trophy as a bonus.

has to be said though the leeches are hindering yet another manager in the transfer window after a top 4 finish.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
First place
Is the bare minimum, that’s the difference between Celtic and the rest we expect and demand to win, if we don’t it’s a disgrace and here Man Utd fans expecting 2nd 3rd 4th….. tinpot, everybody should be expecting to win, nothing else is acceptable or it should be

RedStarUnited

McTominay is woeful and the team is markedly worse when Casemiro is out.

I don’t give a monkeys about Jesus. I care about the fact that Martial is entering what must be his eighth season at the club and still can’t be relied upon.

I’m not being negative; I’m calling it as it is. Our squad is not good enough to seriously compete for the title as it stands. It madness to think otherwise. And if you do think otherwise, you’re in for an incredibly frustrating season.
I mention Jesus because I assumed you think Arsenal will challenge City again. Or are you saying City have no challengers?

red.knight

No other club has the expectations that United have. Ten Hag was being written off after two games, Martinez was written off before he'd even signed, even Rashford has had his critics even though he's scored 30 goals from the wing this season. Ten Hag has done so well in his first season. I said at the start that top four and a trophy would be a great first season and he's achieved that. We'll see what new players he brings in to keep moulding the team to his image.

More will be expected next season. I expect improvement in a number of areas, including our away form, scoring more goals, consistency in our performance, etc. Another top 4 finish in the league, FA-cup or League cup and CL semifinal would be great.

Green Army

Supports
Plymouth Argyle
Unless you are successful in bringing in a ST to provide support to Rashford, then I don’t think that you have strengthened sufficiently yo cement a Top 4 Spot, especially when I look at other clubs who have.

1st. Arsenal. Improved massively with the capture of Rice, Havertz and Timber which has provided more quality to an already strong But limited in terms of numbers squad.

2nd. Man City. Not strengthened but potentially weakened by the loss of Gundogan. Still think that they have a few transfers to come in.

3rd. Chelsea / Man Utd or Liverpool. I just cannot separate these 3 teams at the moment. Chelsea have changed a lot of personnel including the Manager and with no European football, can not see them delivering another season like last year. Liverpool have lost 4 midfielders in the close season; however, of those 4 (Arthur, Keite and Oxlade-Chamberlain) never really played and therefore with Mac Allister and Szoboszlai you could argue that they are a stronger unit this year than last. They may need to find a Number 6 especially if Fabhino leaves.

Big disappointment for me in the close season has been Newcastle’s lack of activity.

Melville Red

If we get a decent striker then I expect top three again and hopefully go one stage better in the FA Cup. If not then I think we will struggle to get top 4 owing to the fact that Liverpool have improved the very area they needed to, ie midfield so they will be a threat again next season. Will Arsenal regret spending all that money on Rice? Is he that good? I’d be horrified if he joined us for £70million, have Arsenal peaked?
I think challenging for the PL is a step to far my top five is(with us getting a striker)
City
Utd
Liverpool
Arsenal
Newcastle.

Cant see Newcastle finishing top four again, Howe has taken them as far as he can.
If we don’t get a striker of proven ability then I think we will finish in a battle for fourth with Newcastle again.

johannes_fd

I'd be very disappointed if we ended up outside of top 4. I find it hard to predict a position, feels like a close race at this point, anything between 2nd-4th finish. I do not think we can challenge for the title.