Explosion in Creeslough, Donegal

Zebs

Clare Baldings Daughter plays too much Wordscapes
It looks like the gas explosion was inside the building. Fuel tanks are buried deep underground these days to try and avoid major explosions so I'd say that's what has saved the place going up in flames.

Still looks awful and would be very surprised not to hear of fatalities.

cyberman

4 dead so far. Apparently a gas leak from an apartment.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
4 dead so far. Apparently a gas leak from an apartment.
I’d heard 4 too. You can tell from the photos that it looks like a gas explosion. In that shop many times as we like the camping across the road. It was always staffed by young people :(
We looked at buying one of those apartments as a bolt hole about 5 years ago. Didn’t in the end

Brophs

The One and Only
Disgraceful post, really tasteful that, when people have been seriously injured. People in the community are awaiting news to see if there love ones have been killed. Insensitive or idiotic post, possibly both. Living close to Creeslough, with news that there will be likely fatalities. I hope you think before posting a stupid joke like that next time. Better still, take down you're post and have a bit of fcking respect.
Hadn’t clicked the original link and just made a daft joke about the gas ad on the telly. Obviously, in the circumstances, I’ll delete it. Apologies.

golden_blunder

Staff
3 confirmed dead by guards so far

still people remain trapped

3:15pm, probably had school kids and the likes in. Just heartbreaking

golden_blunder

Staff
They’re saying the explosion was in one of the apartments above the petrol station. Which collapsed the apartment complex on top of the petrol station/shops below. Horrifying to think that a domestic gas leak could cause so much devastation.
Which if it was, it may have been an empty flat as a few of them are holiday homes.

I can t get my head around it, it’s truly awful

Deery

Dreary
What the feck are you on about?

Massive explosions that kill multiple people happen all the time round where you live eh?
There’s a danger with gas I don’t know why’d you think Ireland would be exempt from it.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
There’s a danger with gas I don’t know why’d you think Ireland would be exempt from it.
A domestic gas leak would very rarely cause this sort of damage, so I really don't know what you're on about or trying to say. It's incredibly rare to see something like this happen in Ireland and your comment about a terror attack is pure ignorance. Go away.

Massive Spanner

The Football Grinch
I’m struggling to think of any other accident in Ireland with so many serious casualties in my lifetime. Stardust fire? (which obviously had much higher death toll) And that’s it?
Certainly none that I can recall anyway. Closed I can think of would be some of the worst car accidents but they're not really comparable. It's crazy, in such a small town too.

Deery

Dreary
There was recently a gas explosion in England were the guy was cutting the copper pipes to sell as he was intoxicated, killed a small girl next door..

Rest in peace to the people and prayers to the families..

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
This fecking bellend :rolleyes:

Literally an hour and a half after it happened. Since deleted.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
I’m struggling to think of any other accident in Ireland with so many serious casualties in my lifetime. Stardust fire? (which obviously had much higher death toll) And that’s it?
I'm relative terms it's up there. The village I live in is of similar scale and would take a very very long time to get over this. The smallest of things cause waves where in towns they wouldn't even be ripples. It'll define them for a while. Awful.

Abizzz

Not being flippant but I hope it was as suddenly as possible.
Yeah I agree with that but still the inability to do anything, react in anyway to help oneself kind of scares me too. It could happen to anyone at anytime. Rest in peace.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
FFS. Minister of State for Special Education and Inclusion no less. From planet Rathdown apparently.
Some of her other highlights

"We all know that even for normal children remote teaching is difficult"

Madigan issued a leaflet in 2014 claiming that providing accommodation for Travellers in her constituency would be "a waste of valuable resources".

And remember "Swingate" - the Maria Bailey thing? Well it was Josepha who advised Bailey to run with that case.

An all round good egg, I think we'll agree.

Anyway, sorry, I'm getting off topic.

Terrible tragedy for that community, I live in a small village myself so can only imagine the impact this will have there.

Pirlo'sBeard

Horrible tragedy. I've been to that station before and it's unimaginable that this could happen.

At least 9 people confirmed dead.

golden_blunder

Staff
Ten people, including a young child and two teenagers, are confirmed to have died following yesterday's explosion in Creeslough, Co Donegal.