Explosions at Boston Marathon

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
Federal state and Boston police at 364 Ocean Ave in Revere. Searching apartment on 5th floor. Not clear what if any connection there is to marathon bombings from Amalia Barreda/Staff via mobile on WCVB.
The apartment complex they are at appears to be a dump and has a number of bad reviews. It's in a working class suburb of Boston.

As an aside: Eboue, you're golden in the bra thread. Get stuck in!

Say Goodbye

I had a friend who was offered VIP tickets from someone he works with right at the finish line about 20 minutes before the explosions, he declined to use them for some reason. I can't imagine being in Boston right now.
Bloody hell. One of the luckiest decisions he'll make that's for sure.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The reporters will be asking the neighbours about the home owner soon enough.
Someone on reddit posted a link to a facebook profile of the only Saudi guy living on the fifth floor of that building. The internet is a creepy place...

The Don

Metrosexual Candy Shagger
Dayman, ahhhahhhahh, fighter of the nightman
Yes, and I'm from the city that suffered the Peterloo massacre, but society has gotten way out of order. Teenagers should know their fecking place and the consequences of acting like total wankers. There is no respect in a fecking society when everything is fed to these twats on a plate.
Well this is hardly the thread for it, but my final say on the matter is that every single tax payer in the UK has the right to protest at the obscene amount of money being wasted on the funeral of the devils whore, without being shot at by armed grenadiers :)

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
Someone on reddit posted a link to a facebook profile of the only Saudi guy living on the fifth floor of that building. The internet is a creepy place...
Indeed. Although for a complete stranger to have found that out is commendable googling, or something more devious.

Saliph

Only one thing will stop bad guys with bombs and that's good guys with bombs.

As in, in Detroit?
Except that argument kinda works when we're talking about guns. That is after all why you call the police.

roseguy64

Indeed. Although for a complete stranger to have found that out is commendable googling, or something more devious.
The internet is famous for that. A little bit of info and they can find out your whole life. People have been trolled relentlessly because of a mistake and they upset someone. Either live with it or delete your entire online presence.

Quinton Fortune

Its really upsetting that this was at a charity event too, to see the look in a persons eye when they realise they've lost their legs is horrible! I really hope they find whoever orchastrated this very quickly

Laphroaig

At least the world has learnt something from 22/7, there's been a lot less media speculation about the perpetrators this time around.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Having a 'discussion' on fb with someone who thinks the government did it. I've basically managed to persuade him round to realising how stupid he is and he's now admitted it's probably something politically motivated. He used 9/11 in his argument and said there's no proof terrorists did it so it must be the government. :boring:

Quinton Fortune

Never understand how people try and rationalise things incidents like these which are irrational by their very nature, leave it to the authorities to sort it out.

Neutral

BTV
What's there to say that hasn't already been said...such a senseless act and so tragic, though it looks like, it is going to be relatively minor in terms of the death toll

small mercies...

Kaos

Could have happened in any city and any place. "There but for the grace of God go I" and all that. RIP to the victims.
30 dead and 200 injured in a wave of bomb attacks in Iraq today. Close to zero media coverage unsurprisingly.

Nevertheless RIP to the dead, no one should have to endure that horror in a family outing.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
To be fair, so was W in the midst of 9/11.
sorry, but I can't let that one go.

he was in hiding for 3 days then came out and said we should all go back to shopping and whatnot as the economy was taking a beating.

that was followed up with advice of covering your windows with plastic & duct tape and storing bottled water in case of a chemical or dirty nuke attack.

yeah, that was brilliant alright.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
they'll find whoever did this I think.
I hope it's sooner rather than later.
the fact that it's on Patriots Day makes me suspicious that it's a crazy Yank but as mentioned it's waaay too early to know.

Fox news later on yesterday seemed to be trying to assign blame to muslim terrorists but even they know they can't be sure so they stooped short of a full rant on that.

I suppose it's natural for us to speculate but that's all it is right now.

RIP the victims and their families.

Neutral

BTV
You can't blame people unfortunately for looking at muslim terrorists but it is a bit odd that no one has yet jumped in to claim credit for it or at the very least set off celebratory gunshots in the air.

Then again - they saw what happened to Osama and might think keeping a low profile is the smart option.

sparky

30 dead and 200 injured in a wave of bomb attacks in Iraq today. Close to zero media coverage unsurprisingly.

Nevertheless RIP to the dead, no one should have to endure that horror in a family outing.
Pretty sure that was an earthquake not bombs?
Actually the news says the earthquake was in Iran. Any links for the bombs in Iraq?

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
"No unexploded bombs" were found after #Boston Marathon, despite earlier reports, authorities say.
I'm not sure that the entire cast needed to be there but that is at least something new. An example of chaotic nature and frenzy of information gathering after such an event in the world of 24/7 news and social media.

In what would e defined as locations of greater risk, cities like New York and Washington, what is the situation in regard to rubbish bins? Have they been removed, installed bomb proof ones, or continue with the conventional type?

I was just reading an article about the bomb proof variety, several years ago they were £18,000 each by the looks of it.

utdalltheway

Sexy Beast
They've not learned the lessons in Washington DC as they still have the old fashioned rubbish bins.
I noticed on my recent trip to London that for the most part London has learned to deal with that.

Neutral

BTV
Not been installed all over the city - but some subways have had their normal trash cans replaced by blast resistant trash cans - Israeli design - $2000-$2500 a piece.

They supposedly force the blast radius to move upwards rather than side to side, so limiting damage.

As utd says - sadly they refuse to do it in DC for whatever reason.

forevrared

Do they have suspects already then?
CNN earlier reported they were searching the home of a Saudi national in the US on a student visa in relation with the bombings, but also that they had no suspects. Seems like they don't want to jump the gun.