Ezequiel Garay

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Is he any good, Arruda?
I think he looks excellent, their defence seemed to become a lot more solid after replacing Luiz with him, on top of the money they got. That said I don't think I'm very attentive at gauging CB's qualities.

Not sure how he didn't make it at Real, but they probably rated him a lot, insisting on keeping 50% of future profits to allow him to sign for Benfica.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Gonçalo Lopes ‏@_GoncaloLopes
For now #mufc only offered 18m€ but Benfica expects a little more. But the deal will be done, for sure.

Gonçalo Lopes ‏@_GoncaloLopes
#mufc close to get an agreement with #Benfica about Garay. The defender will only go to England next season.
IF this is done, then Rio's going I reckon.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Don't know that guy, but the newspaper he works for is a relatively well reputed one. They tend to make up a little less shit than the three sports-only newspapers we have.

Brwned

Have you ever been in love before?
If this were to happen it'd push Evans into a squad role and perhaps Jones into a midfield role. Not sure I'd like either to happen.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Who is Goncalo Lopes? Reliable?
He's a sports journalist for Diário de Notícias, a well reputed and 150 year old daily newspaper here.

Don't know how reliable he personally is, I don't follow twitter.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Even if Rio leaves we'll still have Vidic, Evans, Smalling and Jones, all of whom need games. I'd prefer us to sign some very young centre half that would take Vidic's place when he goes, then again Jones might be that man and in the meantime we'll give him games on the right and in midfield.

prateik

It only makes sense if Rio goes... and I dont want Rio to go.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
I think another reason might me is that the United staff is worried about Vida's knees.

Anduin

I think it's a mix of all the reasons already listed... Rio will/may sign a one-year contract extension, but he will be 35 by the end of the year. We need to manage him even more carefully with every year passing by (he's still excellent mind). Vidic's knee will be a big concern too and he's 32 this year, while Jones plays pretty much everywhere across the back line including CM. IMO a new centre-back definitely makes sense, in the end it's a squad game.

With question marks over Vidic and Rio's fitness (and age) a centre-back quartett of Evans, Smalling, Jones & Garay would look quite good to me. If we indeed intend to sign Garay immediately, we could be in for deeper going problems though: Maybe Vidic's knee injury has recurred?!

Arruda

Supports
Porto
No way are we going to sign a Real Madrid reject.
To be fair, from what I've seen of him, he's only a reject because they want to prioritize their Spanish and hallmark players, somewhat understandably. I don't think he's inferior to Ramos in any way. Benfica paid 5.5m for him, but Real Madrid keeps 50% of any profit that Benfica makes. For them to impose that clause, they surely knew he would be worth something significant very soon.

Anduin, from what I read, the deal being discussed, if true, is only for the end of the season, not for this transfer window.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
It'll be interesting to see what happens with him but there are better options for the money, IMO.

If it works out, great for Los Albicelestes too

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Wouldn't Varane add more of the same though? A young CB with potential which is probably nowhere near ready to be a week in week out first XI choice at one of the top clubs in Europe.

Not sure if Garay will adapt well, but looking for an established and competent CB for the short/mid run, ready to put a regular first team effort seems a more logical choice than yet another "potential". Squads need to balance competent, even if not amazing, experience with potential for greatness.

Commadus

So we signed rvp, possibly zaha and garay. Yet leave a massive hole in midfield. I think fergie doesn't think much of midfielders role.

The Neviller

So we signed rvp, possibly zaha and garay. Yet leave a massive hole in midfield. I think fergie doesn't think much of midfielders role.
Or else he thinks the midfield options he has, that are a part of the club sitting currently 5 points clear at the top of the table, are better than some spackers on the internet do.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
He is good player, and he was underrated while he was at Madrid, but IMO we already have better players in Evans and Rio(and Vidic in top form of course), and Smalling definitely looks like better potential.

I don't trust this rumour at all, it doesn't make any sense to me, but who knows.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
On recent performances Evans is our No1 CB, so there is a question mark over Rio and possibly Vidic.

Also, i expect Smalling/Jones to progress further next season and to get more games.

The Neviller

Even if we sign this fella we'll probably still start next season with one fit defender and Carrick at centreback.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
If this were to happen it'd push Evans into a squad role and perhaps Jones into a midfield role. Not sure I'd like either to happen.
Agree. Haven't seen this guy play really for 18 months or so except the odd match and before that he wasn't that great.
This is a guy that struggles with injuries. He's played 2 league games this season. Hasn't played a proper season since he was with Santander about 4 years ago. It's not a rumor I'm a fan of.

The Neviller

Agree. Haven't seen this guy play really for 18 months or so except the odd match and before that he wasn't that great.
This is a guy that struggles with injuries. He's played 2 league games this season. Hasn't played a proper season since he was with Santander about 4 years ago. It's not a rumor I'm a fan of.
He's played 14. Out of a possible 15.

Has only not completed 90 minutes in one of those.

Brophs

The One and Only
From what I've seen of him he's not great. But having said that I can't say I've seen him a massive amount, so I may be wrong.

Skywarden

He's played 14. Out of a possible 15.

Has only not completed 90 minutes in one of those.
So...Which one is it?

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
This seems so odd.

If it happens it will mean more dicking around with Smalling and Jones' position. Which especially in Smalling's case means we are wasting a fantastic CB. Not to mention Rafael and Evans won't be regular starters.

Really weird signing if it happens. Even if Rio does end up leaving.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Your source is wrong, he's been a starter for Benfica since he arrived. Missed the occasional game here and there, but nothing serious.

41 official matches last season (our league only has 30 games) and 22 this one so far.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
You sure he had 41 last season though and 22 this season? Wiki has him at 54 games in total and their source is the official Benfica home page.

Cevno

Rio hasn't signed a contract yet right ?

Will be a strange one this if it happens.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
You sure he had 41 last season though and 22 this season? Wiki has him at 54 games in total and their source is the official Benfica home page.
Wiki rarely has the number of games correct and updated.

zerozero has a decent database (made in wikipedia like fashion, by the users, so even though not rock-hard solid it's usually very accurate in prominent players and teams).

It says in 2011/2012
24 league
3 cup
3 league cup
7 champions league
4 champions league qualifying phase

In 2012/2013
14 league
1 cup
1 league cup
6 champions league

Castia

Even if Ferdinand leaves though we still have Jones, Smalling, Vidic and Evans. I don't see why we need to pay nearly 20m for another centre back at the moment. One thing we need to do is get Jones playing at centre back, it's his natural position that we need to develop he seems to play anywhere but centre back for us.