Ezequiel Garay

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Wiki rarely has the number of games correct and updated.

zerozero has a decent database (made in wikipedia like fashion, by the users, so even though not rock-hard solid it's usually very accurate in prominent players and teams).

It says in 2011/2012
24 league
3 cup
3 league cup
7 champions league
4 champions league qualifying phase

In 2012/2013
14 league
1 cup
1 league cup
6 champions league
As to why I went by the source that wiki gave.

http://www.slbenfica.pt/Futebol/PlantelPrincipal/Jogador/tabid/1066/PID/16/SeID/4/Ezequiel%20Garay.aspx

I can only go by google translate though.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
As to why I went by the source that wiki gave.

http://www.slbenfica.pt/Futebol/PlantelPrincipal/Jogador/tabid/1066/PID/16/SeID/4/Ezequiel%20Garay.aspx

I can only go by google translate though.
EDIT: A messed up response by me.

Probably some mistake somewhere. zerozero has every game of him individually listed, with goals, substitutions, cards, etc. Being more complete information, I'd trust it a bit more.

Also don't remember him being injured for a long period of time since he got here.

Not questioning his injury record overall of course, but in the past 18 months he has seen regular first team football for the vast majority of the time.

Even if Benfica's site is correct, 50 games in one and a half season is not entirely bad if you consider our league is only 30 games and that he doesn't play most league cup games and early cup rounds.

gza the genius

If we buy a cb it should be Hummels, otherwise we're well stocked. Rio can still do a job, Vidic probably can too assuming he's over his injuries, Smalling and Evans are both very good already, and Jones has huge potential. Not to mention Michael Keane who seems destined to be very good.

If we buy a CB it should only be for someone world class.

manusteve

If we buy a cb it should be Hummels, otherwise we're well stocked. Rio can still do a job, Vidic probably can too assuming he's over his injuries, Smalling and Evans are both very good already, and Jones has huge potential. Not to mention Michael Keane who seems destined to be very good.

If we buy a CB it should only be for someone world class.
"World class" is highly debateable when it comes to defenders. What was your feeling when we signed Vidic? I didn't know anything about him, and yet he has been superb for us.
From what I know, Garay will offer more bite than the likes of Smalling and Jones but again it's all conjecture.
Hummels, along with the Germany defence in the past year, has been disappointing (at international level I mean), so again, who knows?

Cevno

Gonçalo Lopes ‏@_GoncaloLopes

About Garay to #mufc. Only next season. For now the offer is short. Benfica want at least 25m€.

They can feck off.

coolredwine

lameredboots

About Garay to #mufc. Only next season. For now the offer is short. Benfica want at least 25m€.

They can feck off.
Heh! It's not going to happen. Not right now, not in the summer or afterwards.

Revan

Assumptionman
Didn't impressed me at all when he was at Madrid, though that could be Madrid's syndrome cause he looked much better when he was to that other Spanish club before Madrid (forgot it's name).

Cevno

Real is not the best place to be judging players tbh.

Ekeke

He looked a fairly good defender, but a great goal threat at set pieces pre-Madrid. Dont know how hes done at Benfica, but I'd be surprised if we signed him now rather than before Madrid got him when he was young.

Comsmit

garay is bit lacking in pace no?
He's slower than hell. From the little I saw of him in La Liga he is good on the ball and decent in the air.

I think Ferguson is just concerned about the fitness record of a number of our defenders.....makes sense to bring someone in. Hummels would be a dream signing but everyone needs to be realistic and understand it isn't going to happen.

Arruda

Supports
Porto

They can feck off.
Considering Benfica will only be making 40% of whatever someone pays them for Garay, it's natural he's not a selling priority for them. With 25m€ they'll be profiting 4.5 (they paid 5.5 for him) which doesn't sound that greedy.

Cevno

So who takes the call on whether to sell him ? Real or them ?

And they paid 5.5 for 40% ?

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Benfica makes the call. They're the effective owners of the player's sportive rights (an expression we use here that I'm not sure if make much sense to you). But they made a deal with Real in which Real will be given 50% of a future transfer, and a private investment fund owns 10% of the player (or used to own it, these things change hands quickly and I'm not sure of the current situation).

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
He looked a fairly good defender, but a great goal threat at set pieces pre-Madrid. Dont know how hes done at Benfica, but I'd be surprised if we signed him now rather than before Madrid got him when he was young.
My understanding is that we were very interested at the time, I think he was at Racing Santander. Then he chose Madrid over us, as you do! I definitely recall us being strongly linked though.

Ekeke

Yes we were linked, but I'm pretty sure there were no quotes or anything to say it was any more than paper talk.

Drifter

American
Benfica defender and Manchester United target Ezequiel Garay has reportedly signed with

Portuguese agent Jorge Mendes in order to facilitate a move to Old Trafford. Mendes was responsible for the transfers of Cristiano Ronaldo, Nani and Anderson to United and enjoys a strong relationship with the Red Devils' chiefs.

Garay ended the deal with his former agent two months ago, according to the Daily Mirror, and has now chosen Mendes to represent him. The report claims the Argentine is keen to seal a switch to United and identifies Mendes as key to realising that goal.

The defender has been a long-time target for United. Recent reports claim Sir Alex Ferguson's brother, Martin Ferguson, scouted the 26-year-old last weekend and the Red Devils have already contacted Benfica regarding the player's availability, as they line up a summer approach.

Garay joined Benfica from Real Madrid in 2011, as part of a player-plus-cash deal that saw Fabio Coentrao moving in the other direction. The Argentina international is valued at approximately £26m and Marca believe Madrid remain eligible for 50 percent of any transfer fee Benfica receive from his sale.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I know he used to be highly rated before his move to Madrid. Any Benfica/Argentinian watches think he's worth £26m? (I know that's not necessarily what he'll go for).

If Rio signs a new contract extension, I think that amount of money is best spent elsewhere.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
How is his injury record? For some reason I'm under the impression that it's a bit dodgy.

Cevno

We have been doing extensive scouting in Portugal for the past month or so if constant reports are to be believed. Guess, having Mendes as agent will make things easier if we are interested in him.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I really don't understand this one. Evans, Ferdinand, Vidic, Jones, Smalling and potentially Keane. Even if Rio doesn't renew a contract, there's enough talent in there to last us the next 10 years in that position. We don't need this guy. I've never seen him play, so I'm not sure how good he is but nevertheless.

I just think that we're scouting someone in Portugal, but the media just don't know who.

Cevno

I really don't understand this one. Evans, Ferdinand, Vidic, Jones, Smalling and potentially Keane. Even if Rio doesn't renew a contract, there's enough talent in there to last us the next 10 years in that position. We don't need this guy. I've never seen him play, so I'm not sure how good he is but nevertheless.

I just think that we're scouting someone in Portugal, but the media just don't know who.
We basically like to have 8 defenders in the squad for the back 4 positions. And Jones can fill in at midfield too.

So, if Rio goes we will bring in a defender. Most probably a Vidic type as Evans can take over from Rio as the sweeper/Ball playing defender.

Traub

If this story is true, it may signal Jones moving into midfield.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
The one who was at Chelsea ?
Yes, Nemanja. He has become a hell of a player. Don't know where he'll go but he won't stay in Portugal for too long.

prateik

Wasnt he a part of the Luiz deal?
20m+Matic or something like that.

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans

Ferdinand is nearing the end of his career, Keane still has a long way to go and Jones, Smalling and Vidic are all injury prone. Evans is pretty much our only reliable CB. I can definitely the signing of a new centre back but never seen this guy play.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Wasnt he a part of the Luiz deal?
20m+Matic or something like that.
Yes, something like that. Not sure about the money, but he seems to have been severely undervalued. He's having an amazing season, his style reminds me a bit of Touré. Very imposing defensively (194cm), but with far above average technique and a crack for important goals (watch below):

1:07, a very cool header against Leverkusen.

Varun

Staff
Where does he play Arruda? CM? The technique on the 1st goal is fantastic.

Arruda

Supports
Porto
Where does he play Arruda? CM? The technique on the 1st goal is fantastic.
CM, slightly more defensive. He's playing in Javi García's place but offers so much more offensively and almost the same consistency defensively. He's very good at keeping possession as well and choosing the right, even if simple, pass.

Joemo

whistling in the wind
I hope we're looking looking at Matic as opposed to Garay, the Serbian has been phenomenal in the games I've seen him in this season.

Varun

Staff
CM, slightly more defensive. He's playing in Javi García's place but offers so much more offensively and almost the same consistency defensively. He's very good at keeping possession as well and choosing the right, even if simple, pass.
Exactly the kind of player we need then.

Decotron

Ive always liked Matic as well. The Chelsea move was premature at the time. He just needed games, he looked quite awkward at that time when I saw him. Hes obviously settled into his frame since then and looks a serious player.

Devil may care

Matic has a 45M Euro buyout clause so I doubt that's who we are looking at. I recall the fuss over Garay when he joined Real but it all faded pretty quickly, can't see us spunking the kind of money being reported on him.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Release clauses are mostly irrelevant, if he goes it'll be for much less anyway.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
LOoks a player.. but cannot see why we would need another CB, as stocked as strikers... Any other position of winger, DM, centre mid, wing back would be welcome.. but as good as the player is I would rather we turned elsewhere

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
LOoks a player.. but cannot see why we would need another CB, as stocked as strikers... Any other position of winger, DM, centre mid, wing back would be welcome.. but as good as the player is I would rather we turned elsewhere
The only logic i can see is that Rio might leave, Vidic probably not the same as he was a couple of years ago, and Smalling/Jones are not ready yet.

Plus Garay seems to be in higher bracket than Smalling/Jones.