F1 2024 Season

dinostar77

That makes me wonder - was turning down the engine even a thing back in the day...say in the 90s? I can't recall. It obviously will also help PU longevity but i wonder then it it also explains why cars these days seem so bullet proof comparatively. Though having computers and robots assemble a lot of the parts with a lot more precision probably helps a lot too.
they had qually engines in the 1990s. literally only used for qualfying and nothing else. they also ran at 15,000rpm so werent the most reliable.

engine maps only came when ecu development matured around the 2010s i think.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
they had qually engines in the 1990s. literally only used for qualfying and nothing else. they also ran at 15,000rpm so werent the most reliable.

engine maps only came when ecu development matured around the 2010s i think.
That would be pretty cool actually. Get the V10s back out for qually with a bonkers crank speed and then switch back to the proper engine for the race.

dinostar77

That would be pretty cool actually. Get the V10s back out for qually with a bonkers crank speed and then switch back to the proper engine for the race.
this is bonkers, ferrari once used 17 engines in a race weekend at suzuka. 17! wtf?!?

ps. ive not listened to the podcast with binotto.

"...Continuing discussion on his involvement in engine development, Binotto said that the V12 engine that he only worked on for his first year was one of his favorites, almost exclusively because of the sentimental value of that period of his life and career. Speaking on this regulatory era and the V10 days following it, he discussed the massive number of engines – amounting to 17 for one notable Suzuka race – used in a F1 weekend...."

https://formularapida.net/en/podcast-binotto-on-career-ferrari-time-leclerc-schumacher-more/

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
this is bonkers, ferrari once used 17 engines in a race weekend at suzuka. 17! wtf?!?

"...Continuing discussion on his involvement in engine development, Binotto said that the V12 engine that he only worked on for his first year was one of his favorites, almost exclusively because of the sentimental value of that period of his life and career. Speaking on this regulatory era and the V10 days following it, he discussed the massive number of engines – amounting to 17 for one notable Suzuka race – used in a F1 weekend...."

https://formularapida.net/en/podcast-binotto-on-career-ferrari-time-leclerc-schumacher-more/
:lol: now that would put a hole in your cost cap.

Redplane

( . Y . ) planned for Christmas

Wtf. That is insane. I know they went through a lot of them but not to that degree. Poor Williams would have to sit out the remainder of the season these days.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons

Insane :lol:

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
Last time Ferrari won in Suzuka was in 2004. 20 years ago, madness.

Amar__

Supports
MK Dons
This will be shite.

Red Bull is probably quicker half a second than everyone else after just first S corners.

dinostar77

RedBull 1-2. About 0.5 a second a lap quicker than the other big teams (baring norris banzai lap).

May just watch the highlights again like i did for the last race.

macheda14

RedBull 1-2. About 0.5 a second a lap quicker than the other big teams (baring norris banzai lap).

May just watch the highlights again like i did for the last race.
Think this will be the second season in a row where the majority of races I just watch the highlights. Definitely not going to be making any extra effort for the crazy time zone ones. Although the Aus one was a good race.

Ahmer Baig

Alonso’s Q3 lap was 1.7s faster than his best lap in Suzuka last year, and the biggest improvement of any team.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Possible good news for McLaren around Monaco ?

Redplane

Think this will be the second season in a row where the majority of races I just watch the highlights. Definitely not going to be making any extra effort for the crazy time zone ones. Although the Aus one was a good race.
How was Aus a good race compared to many others? Aside from the Max retirement and Russell crash it was a procession.

Abizzz

That makes me wonder - was turning down the engine even a thing back in the day...say in the 90s? I can't recall. It obviously will also help PU longevity but i wonder then it it also explains why cars these days seem so bullet proof comparatively. Though having computers and robots assemble a lot of the parts with a lot more precision probably helps a lot too.
They used to get 1400+ horsepower out of 1.5L displacement 40 years ago. Now they get 850 from roughly the same displacement.

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
They used to get 1400+ horsepower out of 1.5L displacement 40 years ago. Now they get 850 from roughly the same displacement.
That was with a much higher turbo boost. And the engines were changed after qualifying. Huge fun though.

Abizzz

That was with a much higher turbo boost. And the engines were changed after qualifying. Huge fun though.
Very true. However I don't think F1's increase in reliability is that great an achievement when considering those numbers. In comparison jet engine reliability has also grown extremely in the same time frame while also increasing power and efficiency (well turbofans to be exact but I'm sure you're aware of that development).

Buster15

Go on Didier
Supports
Bristol Rovers
Very true. However I don't think F1's increase in reliability is that great an achievement when considering those numbers. In comparison jet engine reliability has also grown extremely in the same time frame while also increasing power and efficiency (well turbofans to be exact but I'm sure you're aware of that development).
Quite right.
The tools available to designers as well materials and manufacturing technology has been responsible for huge improvement in reliability and durability. Not to mention efficiency.

Redplane

if this was Ricciardo’s fault I swear to god
Yeah I'm a bit surprised by the commentary being so mild this time..had it been some other drivers they probably would have pointed a finger right away. Not intentional obv but it was on Ric that one. Then again, Alex could have placed his car better.