FA Cup Final (slaughter)

Full bodied red

Is it just me looking in the wrong places, but I've seen hardly anything in the papers or online about today's match.

There was a time not so long ago when the week before the Final, the papers were full of it everyday - player profiles, how-they-reached-the-final, full page spreads on the managers, even pictures of the players' wives or, more interestingly, their cars....

In the 70s, we even had special editions of It's a Knockout, for God's sake, on the Saturday morning, because Cup Final Day was special.

Or is it just that today's match is just going to be a one-sided confirmation that Citeh are the best team we've seen for a generation, the result absolutely not in doubt, so nobody even bothers talking about the match ?

Wigan Athletic, anyone ??

Sterling Archer

I saw a joke piece on ESPN about things Manchester United can do while the finals take place...

...they're using us , not in any of these cups, to get more clicks and interest than the teams playing in them :lol:

And likewise didn't realize it was this weekend until I saw that piece, got annoyed and clicked to read it anyway

el3mel

I knew it is today but actually forgot and needed this thread to be remind me.

It's been diminishing in importance for years and is in danger of slipping to the levels of the League Cup. Having two teams nobody is interested in doesn't help.

bdecuc

Didn't realise it was on until yesterday. Says a lot about it. And about City really.

Xaviboy

What's even more funnier is that city can do the domestic treble today if they win but no one really gives a shit. Hardly no media coverage about the cup final and talk of city doing the treble. Crazy, just media coverage of Utd transfer dealings and utd related.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Oh it's today. The magic really has gone out of the domestic cups hasn't it?

M16Red

Doucoure. Played really well against us.

Interested to see how he plays in the final.

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
What's even more funnier is that city can do the domestic treble today if they win but no one really gives a shit. Hardly no media coverage about the cup final and talk of city doing the treble. Crazy, just media coverage of Utd transfer dealings and utd related.
The Domestic treble is something Sky Sports made up to sell tickets. With the diminishing importance of the FA CUP, there's not even a 'treble' anymore. The only thing that truly matters is the double now. Domestic League + Champions League. That being said, City takes the 'domestic treble' quite seriously for some reason and is hyper excited about this FA Cup Final. Will be utterly humiliating if they lose.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bwuk

Hope Watford can win it. Would mean a lot to them - won’t mean f*ck all to city.

Monkey bus

It’s City and Watford. Don’t think anybody cares as the outcome should be pretty straight forward. Not heard if it’s a sell out.
On a side note Manchester City Centre was empty last Sunday after they won the league. Would that have happened if we’d won it?

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
No one seems to give a shit even though the FA Cup carries prestige apparently.

jackwanson

Supports
Man City
Hope Watford can win it. Would mean a lot to them - won’t mean f*ck all to city.
Disagree

Watch how the City players react today when they score. This means a lot to City. FA Cup is still a trophy that's semi worthy in 2019. The league cup is the real farce and shouldn't even count. Hence why the domestic treble is the biggest joke there is. Might as well say the domestic quadruple and include the Charity Shield.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nero

Everyone mentally checks out after the final league game. Cup final gets forgotten about. I forgot until I saw this thread.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
I didn't know it was today. Good, looking forward to this. Well the first 20 minutes at least while it still feels that Watford could win it

devil in me

5 o clock kick off... theyre not even trying ti reignite the magic. More concerned with selling the TV rights across the world.

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
It actually means a lot to City now as part of a treble rather than standalone. Pep needs to cover for the CL disappointment.

Wolves could have done with not messing up against Watford. :rolleyes: This will be Watford's usual end of season 6-0 mauling by a top 6 club.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
I didn't know it was today. Good, looking forward to this. Well the first 20 minutes at least while it still feels that Watford could win it
I thought Utd fans are bringing out their well worn blue scarves again, as a Watford win means earlier EL qualifying for Utd?

christinaa

Gossip Girl
Supports
There's only one United!
The interesting thing is that if City win United don't have to play the qualifying stages of the Europa League but get straight into the Group stages.

In which case our Season will not start very early.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
The interesting thing is that if City win United don't have to play the qualifying stages of the Europa League but get straight into the Group stages.

I’d rather play a qualifier in July than piss off Half way around the world for no footballing reason anyway.

Red00012

If watford win we have to play 6 qualifying games.

Two things you'll see today in the match build-up:
Presenters/Media bemoan clubs lack of respect towards the Fa Cup.
Presenters/Media continue to downplay the achievements of winning the Fa Cup.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Two things you'll see today in the match build-up:
Presenters/Media bemoan clubs lack of respect towards the Fa Cup.
Presenters/Media continue to downplay the achievements of winning the Fa Cup.
Is it not the opposite?
Anytime I watch an fa cup game they never seem to stop mentioning how special it still is and the magic of it etc.

Dumbstar

Supports
Liverpool
It just means an early exit from some Shanghai tournament I think so shouldn't affect pre-season training plans too much hopefully
You have to alter training plans. More players are involved than they were supposed to be and at a different intensity. Putting aside any lucrative trips.