Fa Cup Replays Scrapped

Fr. Todd Unctious

Were the multiple replays part of the fabric of the Cup too ?

That said do think they should have talked to the lower league teams and also said they were going to do what they do in the Pokal and the lower ranked team has home advantage

Chipper

Adulterer.
Dont even know why it was there to begin with. Never liked it... so a good change for me.
Talking rhetorically or no?

Just in case, replays were there to begin with because that's what they came up with as an idea to decide the winner in the early days of football. They stuck around ever since. Penalty shootouts weren't invented until 1970.

Utd heap

Models for Coin.
Were the multiple replays part of the fabric of the Cup too ?

That said do think they should have talked to the lower league teams and also said they were going to do what they do in the Pokal and the lower ranked team has home advantage
The lower ranked teams don't want home advantage - they want the opportunity of playing at OT/Anfield and the memories/gate receipts that come with it.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Yep. There it is, the sort of cnutish entitled bollocks that I expected to see more of in this thread.
There's always a few, I wonder if they know that once upon a time United were a 'small' club

fps

Good news - the FA Cup should be knockout football, the fans should go knowing they will see their team win or lose.

Brophs

The One and Only
The big clubs should absolutely doing way, way more to support the smaller clubs, right the way down the pyramid. That they don't is a massive failing on the part of all involved.

That said, I'm not absolutely sure that FA Cup replays are the way to do that. In some cases it's used to mask some fairly iffy stewardship of clubs. They can't rely on that money as a replicable source of income. Far better to have a genuinely effective redistribution of monies throughout the pyramid, so there isn't this reliance on the long odds shot of getting a money spinning replay.

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
The big clubs should absolutely doing way, way more to support the smaller clubs, right the way down the pyramid. That they don't is a massive failing on the part of all involved.

That said, I'm not absolutely sure that FA Cup replays are the way to do that. In some cases it's used to mask some fairly iffy stewardship of clubs. They can't rely on that money as a replicable source of income. Far better to have a genuinely effective redistribution of monies throughout the pyramid, so there isn't this reliance on the long odds shot of getting a money spinning replay.
This is a fair point.

I would argue that a really easy way for the bigger clubs to support lower league teams would be a commitment for first teams to play a couple of pre season games away against them.

Not a major undertaking but clubs preoccupied with those massive pre season tours now.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur

I certainly agree that the money should find it's way down the pyramid.

I love replays tbh.

black country red

As an old school united fan disappointed about the fa cup replay decision some of the most exciting matches I’ve seen have been fa cup replays

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I don't agree, it's been the fabric of the FA cup for as long as i remember.

However my issue isn't just about small clubs not getting a reward of holding manchester united at their patch and they get a big day out at OT. It's because the ONLY reason why this is happening is to fit in extra games in Europe.

It's not going to give clubs less games to play, they'll just replace the dates held for replays for other games.

Pre-Season for example, if there was an extra 3 weeks in the off season, players wont be rested any more than they currently are, they'll just fill that time with tours of the world to once again cash in on the available times.

Soon we'll see reduced teams in the Premier League, even less rounds or scrappage of League cup. Premier League sides entering at a later stage of the FA than round 3 but the players will end up with no less games to play overall because the champions league will get bigger again with more games, there will be more internationals with the WC and the Euros(and other regions) increasing teams.

What we are seeing is football positioning itself to make as much money as possible by replacing low income games with high income games. If anyone thinks this is for the benefit of the players health and wellbeing or for the betterment of the game, your sorely mistaken.
Spot on

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Just for us, you’ve got the replay v Liverpool at Maine Road in 85 and Arsenal in 99. Loads of other fantastic matches… replays change the dynamic
I'd maintain that the Arsenal semi final replay in 1999 is the greatest domestic football match of the last 50 years.

Imagine if that fairly dull 0-0 that took place in the first match settled things on penalties.

Loftus Road Lad

Supports
QPR
Scrapping replays is absolutely disgusting. It's been done purely to keep the big clubs happy who will instead play more european games and go on more money spinning tours in the extra free time. Makes a mockery of the pyramid and punishes small clubs with real fans. This and FFP shows a desperation to keep the cartel of big clubs happy and they exepect every other club in the country to bed over backwards to do so also. Embarassing that any football fan could think think this is a good idea.

.Phil1968

I think it's a terrible idea, I've got memories of some cracking replays 1979 and Jimmy Greenhoff come to mind, and the fact it is shitting all over lower league clubs leaves a real sour taste in the mouth.

Moriarty

As an old school united fan disappointed about the fa cup replay decision some of the most exciting matches I’ve seen have been fa cup replays
We had some stinkers back in the day (Boro, Stoke, Walsall) but the 6th round replay at Molineux in 1976 stands out for me as one of the greats. Goodison in 1979, Maine Road in 1985 and so on. They've messed about with the FA Cup so much over the years that a lot of modern fans don't really care that much about it. Keep replays, move the semis back to a neutral club ground and save Wembley for the final. They could bring back the magic instead of watering it down even more.

Its all gone Shane Long

They take away the 3pm final kick off, the famous bbc build up with interviews, live feed of teams leaving their hotels, aerial views of route to Wembley etc and now they have taken away replays which only harms lower league clubs. The FA cup was a magical event now it’s just meh

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
What the big clubs want, the big clubs get. Sadly, this is all about what they want. If you don't want replays, get the job done at the first time of asking.

diarm

As a fan of a big club, the constant bitching about fixture congestion absolutely wrecks my head so I can only imagine how annoying it is for fans of smaller sides. Our clubs have academies overflowing with players we've hoovered up from smaller clubs - our squads are far, far bigger than those of lower league outfits and even smaller PL clubs. If player welfare is such a concern, then bloody rotate.

I'm sick of guys like Pep and Klopp whining and moaning about competitions that existed long before they were here and should be here long after they are gone. Their argument is always "player welfare", but it is them and them alone who opt to pick the same 11 players twice in a week.

Malons

Scrapping replays is right call, but home gate recepits for games where a Premier League team is playing a side in League 1 or lower, the lower league side should recieve all of the matchday revenue less costs (if it's an away fixture).

TheGame

Scrapping replays is absolutely disgusting. It's been done purely to keep the big clubs happy who will instead play more european games and go on more money spinning tours in the extra free time. Makes a mockery of the pyramid and punishes small clubs with real fans. This and FFP shows a desperation to keep the cartel of big clubs happy and they exepect every other club in the country to bed over backwards to do so also. Embarassing that any football fan could think think this is a good idea.
Agree with this. How big clubs with big squads are moaning about replays is beyond me. Utter kick in the teeth for lower league clubs whose money recieved from a replay with a larger club can be a huge benefit for them.

Steve Bruce

As a fan of a big club, the constant bitching about fixture congestion absolutely wrecks my head so I can only imagine how annoying it is for fans of smaller sides. Our clubs have academies overflowing with players we've hoovered up from smaller clubs - our squads are far, far bigger than those of lower league outfits and even smaller PL clubs. If player welfare is such a concern, then bloody rotate.

I'm sick of guys like Pep and Klopp whining and moaning about competitions that existed long before they were here and should be here long after they are gone. Their argument is always "player welfare", but it is them and them alone who opt to pick the same 11 players twice in a week.
The player welfare argument annoys me. They complain about fixture congestion and not enough rest, then they take their squad to China or USA for a tour paying every few days.

It's solely about £££ and nothing else

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I don't agree, it's been the fabric of the FA cup for as long as i remember.

However my issue isn't just about small clubs not getting a reward of holding manchester united at their patch and they get a big day out at OT. It's because the ONLY reason why this is happening is to fit in extra games in Europe.
Nail. Head.

alexthelion

We had some stinkers back in the day (Boro, Stoke, Walsall) but the 6th round replay at Molineux in 1976 stands out for me as one of the greats. Goodison in 1979, Maine Road in 1985 and so on. They've messed about with the FA Cup so much over the years that a lot of modern fans don't really care that much about it. Keep replays, move the semis back to a neutral club ground and save Wembley for the final. They could bring back the magic instead of watering it down even more.
This, so much this.

The FA Cup should be a prestigious competition, not the watered down crap the FA/PL are making it.

Danny

Scrapping replays is right call, but home gate recepits for games where a Premier League team is playing a side in League 1 or lower, the lower league side should recieve all of the matchday revenue less costs (if it's an away fixture).
Disagree with this. There should be a more sustainable model rather than lower league teams relying on a bonus of drawing a Premier League team in a pot luck draw, and benefiting from that pot luck.

I'd wager there will be some lower league teams that have rarely been lucky enough to draw one of the big boys, but others might have been lucky on a few occasions.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
99 and 2024 are quite different. There are more games, higher intensity etc.
There are not more games, that's a myth. You played over 60 games in the 1999 season.

There's more games if you do well but that's always been the case.

There are bigger matchday squads and more subs allowed nowadays though. Sports medicine has improved also.

SirAF

Ageist
There are not more games, that's a myth. You played over 60 games in the 1999 season.

There's more games if you do well but that's always been the case.

There are bigger matchday squads and more subs allowed nowadays though. Sports medicine has improved also.
I'd rather avoid replays either way. It's annoying to watch your team go back to play the same side a week later. I want it done on the night.

Last edited:

Chipper

Adulterer.
At the same time, scrapping replays before the 3rd round isn’t something I entirely agree with.
Yes, it depends on how the actual fixtures pan out, but then it always does.

Derby are averaging 27k this season. A non-league club taking them to a replay would have been a nice earner if that's how it worked out. Sheffield Wednesday and Birmingham might be down there next season, and if in the middle of promotion campaign could be pulling big crowds as the feel-good factor would have returned.

In total there are 11 clubs in League One/League Two averaging over 10k. Half of that gate if you're a smaller National League side or below is very nice indeed.

If you're a big National League team like Oldham who pull almost 7k anyway, then going away for a replay at Salford isn't going to do too much financially unless it's televised although every little helps!

siw2007

This has been coming for a long time. It really didn’t matter how badly the lower clubs moaned, this was inevitable. With how demanding modern day football is, it is pretty sensible to have straight knock out games going forwards. I know personally that come the 89th minute I would think long and hard as to whether I really want my team to progress with the expensive of another game.

However, I totally understand the alternate argument. I remember back in 2005, Man Utd drawing at home to Exeter City and forcing a replay. The financial gain for Exeter was enough to keep that club afloat. So I would definitely support a financial package towards the lower clubs to compensate for any potential loss of revenue.

Rolandofgilead

Trigger Happy Priest Killer
Scout
Supports
Weymouth
I thought I might be able to lend a bit of perspective on this issue, and seeing as I haven't been around here for a while, this seems like a good place to jump in.

I am a Weymouth fan. Its painful at times but they're my local team, I can't explain why I love them so much or why I spend thousands following home and away each week and I often get mocked by my mates. But here's the thing. The FA Cup is almost everything to us.

A couple of seasons ago we were in the National League. A guy managed to con our former chairman onto our board as essentially started spending money we didn't have. Up to this point, since we were literally seconds from going bust in 2010, we've been a fan run club and vowed to never exceed our means.

Long story slightly shorter, we got rid of him just in time and previous good people returned and steered the club away from financial difficulty and put us back in the black.

The reason I bring it up is that last season we made the first round of the cup and drew Wimbledon at home. A 1-1 draw at our place saw us travel to Plough Lane for a replay. We lost the game 3-1 but we took nearly 700 fans on a Tuesday night. The club made money which ultimately kept us alive, not only off the pitch, but we escaped a second successive relegation. With 7 days left of the season and 7 points from safety, we amazingly stayed up with 3 wins.

So, the FA Cup is still magic to us, we don't want it messed with and this vhsnge literally only benefits four clubs, whichever 4 qualify for the new champions super league.

Champions super league you say? Well, that's what I'm calling it. The new format, which has caused this is strikingly similar to the ESL, we did tell uou it wasn't going away.

Pep, klopp etc are hypocritical to a fault as well.

I don't mean to be rude lads, but if your fixture congestion is so bad, perhaps flying out on worldwide pre and post season tours isn't the best way to prepare your obviously delicate little flowers for the season ahead.

While I'm here. Why don't you take a second for example to look at Truro City from our divisions figure backlog at the end of our season. Also look at Tauntons schedule they had to play.

Cry me a river, pep.

By the way £33m between around 720 clubs is about 45k each if its split evenly, which it won't be.

Last edited:

IRN-BRUno

I thought I might be able to lend a bit of perspective on this issue, and seeing as I haven't been around here for a while, this seems like a good place to jump in.

I am a Weymouth fan. Its painful at times but they're my local team, I can't explain why I love them so much or why I spend thousands following home and away each week and I often get mocked by my mates. But here's the thing. The FA Cup is almost everything to us.

A couple of seasons ago we were in the National League. A guy managed to con our former chairman onto our board as essentially started spending money we didn't have. Up to this point, since we were literally seconds from going bust in 2010, we've been a fan run club and vowed to never exceed our means.

Long story slightly shorter, we got rid of him just in time and previous good people returned and steered the club away from financial difficulty and put us back in the black.

The reason I bring it up is that last season we made the first round of the cup and drew Wimbledon at home. A 1-1 draw at our place saw us travel to Plough Lane for a replay. We lost the game 3-1 but we took nearly 700 fans on a Tuesday night. The club made money which ultimately kept us alive, not only off the pitch, but we escaped a second successive relegation. With 7 days left of the season and 7 points from safety, we amazingly stayed up with 3 wins.

So, the FA Cup is still magic to us, we don't want it messed with and this vhsnge literally only benefits four clubs, whichever 4 qualify for the new champions super league.

Champions super league you say? Well, that's what I'm calling it. The new format, which has caused this is strikingly similar to the ESL, we did tell uou it wasn't going away.

Pep, klopp etc are hypocritical to a fault as well.

I don't mean to be rude lads, but if your fixture congestion is so bad, perhaps flying out on worldwide pre and post season tours isn't the best way to prepare your obviously delicate little flowers for the season ahead.

While I'm here. Why don't you take a second for example to look at Truro City from our divisions figure backlog at the end of our season. Also look at Tauntons schedule they had to play.

Cry me a river, pep.

By the way £33m between around 720 clubs is about 45k each if its split evenly, which it won't be.
I dread to think how Pep would react to Truro's fixtures :lol: At one point they had 5 games in 7 days and whilst they were all at 'home', it's also worth mentioning they played the majority of those at Gloucester's ground which is just under 200 miles away!

One of the other things that annoys me is that you hear him moaning about the schedule but how often does he use all 5 subs in a game? He has someone like Nunes available every week but rarely starts, if he comes on it's often for barely 10 minutes.

Liverpool were 5-1 up against Sparta Prague last month, for the 2nd leg at home they still start the likes of Robertson, Szoboszlai, Nunez, Salah.

Arsenal have players like Nelson and Smith-Rowe who have 4 starts between them in the PL this season but have been on the bench for the majority of games. If they can't be trusted to play a few matches to give Saka, Odegaard or whoever a game off every now and then, why are they rejecting offers from other PL sides?

These teams very rarely have the need for a replay anyway, it's absurd to change something because a handful of clubs out of 700+ want it.