FA to investigate Edinson Cavani | This thread is taking a break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dion

Another one to add to a long list of shit analogies in this thread. You just compared hard labour and genital mutilation to what is essentially a term of endearment in Cavani’s home country. Well fecking done pal :houllier: This is as bad as the guy in page 10 calling Jews stingy.
" "Cultural differences" can range from choice of primary carbohydrate to whether you believe people of a certain ethnic group have a right to exist. It's not grounds to accept anything on its own. "

Please read the full post before commenting next time. It's exceptionally dull that I have to point out that those were more egregious examples to highlight the underlying fault in your logic.

Let me spell this out as clearly as possible for you; if we decide that something is unacceptable, it's not inherently racist to prevent people from other cultures doing those things while here and holding them to the same standards as everyone else.

Anyway, to address your first point, I do not know why Uruguayans and South Americans in general compliment black friends with the word negrito. Naturally, I do not agree with it due to the history of the word. However, Cavani is one in 432 million people who use this word without repercussions. Most likely, considering he’s just come, he doesn’t even know the word is frowned upon in England. In fact, his perception of England could be that it is a racist country considering one of the few times he’s come over with PSG, a black man got pushed off the metro by Chelsea fans. Because he likely used it a few times in Italy and France without consequences, he could believe that England is a bloody free-for-all. Again, it’s wrong but it’s possible.
Which is why he is likely to get at worst a one game ban.

RashyForPM

" "Cultural differences" can range from choice of primary carbohydrate to whether you believe people of a certain ethnic group have a right to exist. It's not grounds to accept anything on its own. "

Please read the full post before commenting next time. It's exceptionally dull that I have to point out that those were more egregious examples to highlight the underlying fault in your logic.

Let me spell this out as clearly as possible for you; if we decide that something is unacceptable, it's not inherently racist to prevent people from other cultures doing those things while here and holding them to the same standards as everyone else.

Which is why he is likely to get at worst a one game ban.
What I said was that the FA are more racist than Cavani should they ban him, not racist. Imo, if Uruguayans come here and use that word how they want to, as long as it has good intentions unlike Suarez, we shouldn’t embrace it, but we shouldn’t punish them either. When it comes to a topic as sensitive as racism, clearly we have to agree to disagree as we’re not changing each other’s minds, but for me, the English should stick to not being racist their way, and the Uruguayans should do likewise. It’s good for peace as well if we don’t impose each other’s beliefs on the right way to behave on the other party.

UmbroDays

What I said was that the FA are more racist than Cavani should they ban him, not racist. Imo, if Uruguayans come here and use that word how they want to, as long as it has good intentions unlike Suarez, we shouldn’t embrace it, but we shouldn’t punish them either. When it comes to a topic as sensitive as racism, clearly we have to agree to disagree as we’re not changing each other’s minds, but for me, the English should stick to not being racist their way, and the Uruguayans should do likewise. It’s good for peace as well if we don’t impose each other’s beliefs on the right way to behave on the other party.
Do you know what the word racist means? You are using it as if you know.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Not sure why I triggered such a response but thanks for the education on things I didn't know. With that being said, I do find it hard to believe that he didn't know that the English come down hard on that word. Not one ounce of me thinks he was being racist. But I'm also pretty sure that he would have known about his country man who got in trouble for using that word before. Mind you, I'm pretty sure Suarez probably said "f*cking" before the N Bomb and that takes it into a whole different territory
Suarez didn't get in trouble for saying that word. Suarez answered the question "why did you kick me" with
Mr Suárez replied "Porque tu eres negro". Mr Evra said that at the time Mr Suárez made that comment, he (Mr Evra) understood it to mean "Because you are a nigger". He now says that he believes the words used by Mr Suárez mean "Because you are black"
And then
Mr Evra said that he followed up Mr Suárez's reply "Because you are black" by saying "Habla otra vez asi, te voy a dar una porrada", which means "Say it to me again, I'm going to punch you". Mr Suárez replied by saying "No hablo con los negros". Mr Evra said that, at the time, he understood this to mean "I don't speak to niggers", although he now says it means "I don't speak to blacks".
At the time Suarez denies this (lied) and said that he used the word negrito and not negro which contextuallly doesn't make sense. Later he admitted that he said negro but "only once" but only in a friendly manner. Evra said he used it five times and considering his surprised reaction by the word usage, having been kicked by Suarez eralier and the proceeded to be pinched during the altercation, Suarez was not being friendly. United's statement after the match was consistent and corraborated by 5 different players. Suarez statement after that match was that nothing happened and the only thing he said to Evra was that he was sorry about kicking him.

The way the media has since talked about this has historically distorted it and played it down despite there being transcripts of the court records available to all.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Suarez called Evra that because of Evra’s skin colour.

What about Pablofer2222 ? Did Cavani use it referring to the guy’s skin colour?

edcunited1878

He said it to a friend on his IG Stories?! Oh feck off FA just like United did to Southampton today.

One match ban and public apology at max, if anything. There's nothing wrong with what he said to his friend. Context is everything. But the FA, a bunch of white old men who think they are holier than thou are going to suspend him because of some bullshit reasoning to make themselves above everyone else. They are one of the most racist, sexist, insecure, and inconsistent governing bodies of sport in the world.

The FA is going to tell someone from another country and language how and what to say to their friend as a term of endearment from a social post....meanwhile, players up and down the country on TV are always telling refs to feck off.

Dion

Do you know what the word racist means? You are using it as if you know.
I'm honestly baffled by his last post, I was willing to write a reply initially but after reading it I have written off the exchange.

UmbroDays

I don't think you do at all, as that is not the right word to be using. If you wanted to indicate your point more accurately, you could have said the FA are "culturally ignorant" or "lacking in knowledge of international differences"

But no, that is not the definition of racism, and it's quite deplorable that you are weakening the word by using it that way.

I'm honestly baffled by his last post, I was willing to write a reply initially but after reading it I have written off the exchange.
I've only got 4 posts in this forum left today and won't be wasting it on this topic, it can only go one way from here.

Anyay you made good points man, I'm actually glad you've been in here as this is a typical thing that happens with race discussions: "oh it doesn't mean that" or "'I'm sure he didn't mean this". I had to put an educational smack down on my girl when a white person made a "oh it meant no harm" joke about me with her group of friends. So I been on the end of this crap and can speak on it from experience. It gets so frustrating when it just brushed off due to "cultural differences" or perceived "malice".

Again I say that this is may not have been a negatively spoken turn of phrase by Cavani, but the phrase has race based connotations which in 2020 and in a more racially aware Premiership should be spoken about.

I believe education is the best form of response in this case. Getting outta this thread ASAP!

Last edited:

edcunited1878

Suarez called Evra that because of Evra’s skin colour.

What about Pablofer2222 ? Did Cavani use it referring to the guy’s skin colour?
Suarez kicked an opposing player because he is black/negro/dark skinned. Doing something to somebody because of the color of their skin.

Cavani called (apparently) his friend an endearing nickname.

And by the way, the word negro in Spanish means black, which is in no way racist because contextually it's fine and accepted.

FA should have a chat with the person Cavani called negrito and ask him/her if they found it insulting, racist, or derogatory. If the person didn't find it insulting, racist, or derogatory....then case closed. No harm done.

Web of Bissaka

1. Consider contexts.
Thrown out of the window? "Thanks buddy" is... racist?

2. Person addressed to?
Thing is, in this case, he is saying that expression to pablofer2222.

Is Cavani being racist to that guy?
No.

My god, this is such a joke if the FA fined and suspend him.

3. Matters of Intention?
This is in no way the same to Suarez -> Evra. Surely he is no way a buddy to Evra, and he said that (knowingly how offensive it is especially to certain people) to hurts and disturb Evra's sensitivity in the game. Doesn't matter how Suarez defenders spin it, the intention is to harm.

Totally different case.

4. Background of Players?
Previously, is Cavani known to be a good player with good behaviors or not?
Does he ever made racist remarks before or being racist to anyone?
Doesn't seem like it.

Suarez on the other hand before the Evra incident is widely known to harm people, mostly for his biting players behaviors. Won't surprise me if he and his mates like to once in a while being racist. It's possible this happened before (haven't checked before).

5. Things to consider? Language? Culture?
Cavani never played in England before no?
At least not in the league, so it's high likely he doesn't know how offensive that expression can be.

Surely we should consider that.

Suarez on the other hand have been spending many more years in England, oh he for sure know fully well about the offensive word and yet, he still used it.

6. Solutions?
Just fine Cavani at most. That's it. Also more importantly to inform and educate Cavani about it. Well, from this, definitely Cavani will learned his lesson.

Geez, so many people are so butthurt and sensitive so much so "wanting" to making racism out of everything even the things that are not racist-now-turned-racist.

Won't surprise me people finding this post racist for "not" arguing against Cavani's post, because contexts is not important.
Also using black color fonts will be a racist thing to do in future, turning this two long sentences into white color is whitewashing

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Suarez kicked an opposing player because he is black/negro/dark skinned. Doing something to somebody because of the color of their skin.

And by the way, the word negro in Spanish means black, which is in no way racist because contextually it's fine and accepted.

FA should have a chat with the person Cavani called negrito and ask him/her if they found it insulting, racist, or derogatory. If the person didn't find it insulting, racist, or derogatory....then case closed. No harm done.
I'm afraid this would be beyond their level of reasoning. This is in no way, close to the Suarez situation

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Basically yes, because once it's on Instagram he's not just saying it to his mates, he's shouting it out in front of his 7.8 million followers and it's not an English standard, it's an international standard.

To compare this to the Suarez/Evra incident, as some have is ridiculous, Suarez's comments were found to have been purposefully derogatory, Cavani's clearly are not. But Instagram is an international public platform and if people find it offensive, which I understand, then I'm afraid it needs to be called out and dealt with as publicly as it was posted. Cavani is not an idiot, if he had thought for just a moment about what he was writing he probably could and would have said something else.
So if I work in German and My indonesian somehow had a racist equivalent in german I have to erase it?

If a british national working in Cambodia says something they deemed racist would you stop using that harmless word?

UmbroDays

Geez, so many people are so butthurt and sensitive so much so "wanting" to making racism out of everything even the things that are not racist-now-turned-racist.

Won't surprise me people finding this post racist for "not" arguing against Cavani's post, because contexts is not important.
Also using black color fonts will be a racist thing to do in future, turning this two long sentences into white color is whitewashing
This is probably taken the lead for the most pathetic post in this thread now.

Congrats

So if I work in German and My indonesian somehow had a racist equivalent in german I have to erase it?

If a british national working in Cambodia says something they deemed racist would you stop using that harmless word?
Of course. You would go to another country and use a word that is deemed offensive, and just continue to use it just because you're not from there?

Is that your point?

Anyway, this thread is an indication that a lot of people need to read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Longer-Talking-White-People-about/dp/1635572959

We can never have race discussions with people who just dismiss it as being "butt hurt" or similar terms. Feck it, thread is a dumpster fire...

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Benardo Silva got one match ban with his case to Mendy (his friend). Like I said before, I would like to know Cavani's friend skin colour, I think he can get away with nothing if that guy's skin colour is not black.

Dion

I'm afraid this would be beyond their level of reasoning. This is in no way, close to the Suarez situation
It's also a terrible suggestion as well, right? Because there are a whole host of reasons why someone might say they weren't offended by something even if they were, or they weren't offended by something because they've been exposed to a system that has desensitised them to it.

It's 2020, whether it was meant well or ill, received well or ill, there's no reason to be using terms of affection based on someone's skin colour. I'm sure if this is pointed out to Cavani he would likely agree with it because he seems like a decent guy and this could clearly be resolved with them just having a word with him but asking someone "are you offended by this?" is and always will be an absolute cop out and a terrible idea. Not only does it put unnecessary pressure back on the individual but "no harm done" to them doesn't mean "no harm done" to others because of this.

RoyH1

Does this pablofer222 person get asked as part of the FA process?

Zen86

A one match ban and an apology will hopefully suffice. But knowing how the FA are with our players, he’ll probably end up in prison.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is probably taken the lead for the most pathetic post in this thread now.

Congrats

Of course. You would go to another country and use a word that is deemed offensive, and just continue to use it just because you're not from there?

Is that your point?

Anyway, this thread is an indication that a lot of people need to read: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Longer-Talking-White-People-about/dp/1635572959

We can never have race discussions with people who just dismiss it as being "butt hurt" or similar terms. Feck it, thread is a dumpster fire...
Wait? What? So If I work in German I can't reply to my IG buddies in Indonesia? In a daily word everyone use?

UmbroDays

Wait? What? So If I work in German I can't reply to my IG buddies in Indonesia? In a daily word everyone use?
You just said if there's a racist term used, "can I not use it"?

Is that not the question?! It's not exactly clear as your post has grammatical errors.

If so then yes, there is no common place for using a racist word. I really am worried if that's what you're trying to defend here.

edcunited1878

It's also a terrible suggestion as well, right? Because there are a whole host of reasons why someone might say they weren't offended by something even if they were, or they weren't offended by something because they've been exposed to a system that has desensitised them to it.

It's 2020, whether it was meant well or ill, received well or ill, there's no reason to be using terms of affection based on someone's skin colour. I'm sure if this is pointed out to Cavani he would likely agree with it because he seems like a decent guy and this could clearly be resolved with them just having a word with him but asking someone "are you offended by this?" is and always will be an absolute cop out and a terrible idea. Not only does it put unnecessary pressure back on the individual but "no harm done" to them doesn't mean "no harm done" to others because of this.
It shows a complete disregard and intolerance on the part of the FA...which should be zero surprise to nobody with any knowledge of how the FA conduct their business.

In 2020, we all still need context, an open mind, and above all, respect and education of other cultures and backgrounds. Just because men can traditionally marginalize women and their rights in the middle east because it's a cultural norm doesn't mean that can be done in a country such as the United States at the same level. Context is everything. Forcing someone like Cavani to "change" his ways is suppression at its finest. There's nothing malicious about his comment to his friend. Wasn't even being cheeky like Silva was towards Mendy. And Suarez lying to the FA and kicking out at Evra because he is black is an entirely different situation.

Last edited:

RoyH1

He'll likely to be asked if he would like to provide a statement.
What happens then if he says that not only is he not offended, but that the whole being is blown out of proportion?

Dion

This is just dumb though. Something being culturally acceptable in one place doesn't even make it okay for you to do it there let alone anywhere else. Lots of unpleasant things that are culturally acceptable shouldn't be.

The question is, is using racially derived terms of endearment something we should be okay with? The answer is obviously no, they're unnecessary, even when meant well.

The question is how to address it, likely pointing this out to Cavani would be sufficient, but the correct response to the inevitably heavy handed response by the FA isn't to pretend it isn't an issue.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
Calling your friends certain names is acceptable so long as they don't take any offense but surely you cannot do that to strangers you just met. Cavani's mistake here is posting it on IG, which everyone of his followers can see. He did not mean to offend anybody I'm sure. This does not deserve a ban, if the FA does not understand context then they're stupid idiots.

Dion

It shows a complete disregard and intolerance on the part of the FA...which should be zero surprise to nobody with any knowledge of how the FA conduct their business.

In 2020, we all still need context, an open mind, and above all, respect and education of other cultures and backgrounds. Just because men can traditionally marginalize women and their rights in the middle east because it's a cultural norm doesn't mean that can be done in a country such as the United States at the same level. Context is everything. Forcing someone like Cavani to "change" his ways is suppression at its finest. There's nothing malicious about his comment to his friend. Wasn't even being cheeky like Silva was towards Mandy. And Suarez lying to the FA and kicking out at Evra because he is black is an entirely different situation.
Context, but not the context of racial divisions and language used to suppress black people?

We force people to change their ways all the time. It's suppression of the use of terms which have invariably been drawn from a time when their purpose was to draw a line between "us" and "them".

Things don't have to be malicious to be harmful.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
This is just dumb though. Something being culturally acceptable in one place doesn't even make it okay for you to do it there let alone anywhere else. Lots of unpleasant things that are culturally acceptable shouldn't be.

The question is, is using racially derived terms of endearment something we should be okay with? The answer is obviously no, they're unnecessary, even when meant well.

The question is how to address it, likely pointing this out to Cavani would be sufficient, but the correct response to the inevitably heavy handed response by the FA isn't to pretend it isn't an issue.
The problem is that's according to you, to the spanish it isn't

The spanish language exist long before slavery

UmbroDays

I'm defending common sense from absurdity

In your example you just said so-and-so word is racist, so you yourself are even saying it's a derogatory word.

I'm not talking about Cavani here. I'm talking about what you just asked.

I think you should take that analogy and argument back to the drawing board as you're not making any sense here

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
In your example you just said so-and-so word is racist, so you yourself are even saying it's a derogatory word.

I'm not talking about Cavani here. I'm talking about what you just asked.

I think you should take that analogy and argument back to the drawing board as you're not making any sense here

Simply put, 네가 (ni-ga) can be directly translated as “you” and is used with a verb when “you” are either the subject or object of the action being taken. Some examples would be 네가 해 (You do it) or 네가 옳아 (You are right). It is important to understand that this word is differentiated from the “너” (nuh), also meaning “you” but this time as a nominative or objective pronoun. In multiples cases, the two are used interchangeably.

내가 (ne-ga) can be directly translated as “I” and is also used in constructing a basic sentence with verb, for example in phrases such as 내가 샀어 (I bought [it]) or 내가 만난 사람들 (the people I met). Here, the equivalent of “너” is “나” (na), also meaning “I” or “me”.

I hope that this answers your question, but encourage you to check out more professional explanation if you are interested in understanding the complex sentence structures of the Korean language.
Here's an example of recent similar event.

How do you expect a Korean not to use the word so common, just because it resembles the N word?

If it's a very peculiar word you could have a point, but an everyday word? Maybe you should ask the KPOP to stop using the words "you" in their song because that's racist.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline

You're absolutely right tbh. I meant it in a way that the F.A might not bother doing much investigation and just punish him without a little bit of common sense.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion

You don't have to erase anything, you just don't, as a well followed celebrity, say it on platform that will reach millions of people around the world.

Personally, I am not offended by what Cavani has said and am sure he meant it harmlessly, but I am not black and another poster has written very well on here a bout why diminutive terms about colour are clearly offensive to many people. So if you use a massive platform to use that kind of language you have to expect repercussions.

Fridge chutney

Cavani is 34 so a 1-match forced rest might do him some good. He'll be fatigued anyway after putting 3 past his old club midweek.

UmbroDays

Here's an example of recent similar event.

How do you expect a Korean not to use the word so common, just because it resembles the N word?

If it's a very peculiar word you could have a point, but an everyday word? Maybe you should ask the KPOP to stop using the words "you" in their song because that's racist.
Mate your argument is crap, you haven't explained it at all and if that was your point you should have said it from the start.

It's actually based on a Chinese phrase too used when thinking/umming, but that Chinese/Korean phrase translate to a completely different word in native tongue. It has nothing to do with the word "black" in Korean or Chinese (and trust me, I know they have their words for black people).

That is not the point here where "negrita/o" refers to the persons skin in English and in Spanish. The point is not lost in translation - it refers to the persons skin. The discussion is whether a term that is based on the colour of your skin, your religion, sex, etc should be used as a term of endearment on a public stage when there could be offense taken from it

Again, take your argument home, work on it and come back.

Abizzz

I mean we are about 13 months away from a World Cup that will be played in venues slaves built, yet we have the federations responsible for that censoring players as if they had any sort of morals.

I can't speak for how offensive/if at all his post was. Put if it was racism shouldn't it be forwarded to the police, not the incompetence center of the FA?

edcunited1878

Context, but not the context of racial divisions and language used to suppress black people?

We force people to change their ways all the time. It's suppression of the use of terms which have invariably been drawn from a time when their purpose was to draw a line between "us" and "them".

Things don't have to be malicious to be harmful.
The FA are not us. They are going to be the culture police and the bullshit righteous police and probably rule against Cavani. They have zero right to punish Cavani when context is examined. His isolated comment to a friend has zero connection to an us v them discussion of racial divisions.

The FA punishing someone for not adhering to their beliefs (they are a pile of shit, racist, sexist, old white man boys club) is entirely wrong. They blatantly said that Suarez using the word negrito in an endearing way is not racist. He lied in his testimony, it was proven to be true that he did lie and that he kicked out at an opposing player who is not a friend, because that opposing player is black.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
You don't have to erase anything, you just don't, as a well followed celebrity, say it on platform that will reach millions of people around the world.

Personally, I am not offended by what Cavani has said and am sure he meant it harmlessly, but I am not black and another poster has written very well on here a bout why diminutive terms about colour are clearly offensive to many people. So if you use a massive platform to use that kind of language you have to expect repercussions.
Millions of International people, not just English. It's a massive platform but it's not exclusive to English speaking nation, hence your insistence to erase it by applying "English" standard is insulting. You're insinuating Spanish people should stop using their words, their culture and their daily communication word because it sounds offensive in English

Highfather_24

I am Uruguayan, same as Cavani, and probably the other person he is talking too...
Is England the law about how everyone in any country should communicate?
I mean, England will teach the world about not being racist? really?
Word :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.