FA Youth Cup: United vs. Burnley

Drainy

You're insane if you rate Barmby as a better prospect than Januzaj.

He does almost everything Barmby does but better and at a younger age and with better game intelligence, vision and passing/crossing. The only thing Barmby has over him is his long range shooting.

You criticise Januzaj for slowing down the attacks, while giving Barmby a break for breaking them down..

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Missing Perreria and Rothwell. Had some horrible luck with injuries.

Positives for me Pearson- outstanding, future first Team player if he develops physically. It was a mistake taking Barmby off for Rudge. Wilson had an off night. Januzaj showed nice touches but slowed many attacks down.

We have several excellent prospects IMO

Pearson, Daehli, Rothwell, Perreira, Donald Love & Barmby.
Januzaj and Wilson have potential too.
Really?

I thought that Barmby was too greedy last night, his major failing at this point, he needs to learn when to release the ball and when to go alone.

We played some nice stuff, showing again the kind of craft in tight spaces that seems to be lacking in the first team. We were the better team by a distance, we actually had a lot of opportunities to score and two bad individual errors cost us two goals. On another day it would have been 6-2 to us.

I thought that Pearson and Januzaj were superb for us. I think that Januzaj has outgrown that level now and needs to start to transfer performances like that to the reserves, on a regular basis.

Deahli had a very poor game by his standards. He only really came alive in the last 10 minutes, made a poor individual error that led to a goal and missed a great chance at the end.

That is cup football for you though. If you don't take your chances then you get punished and there is no opportunity for redress.

Incidentally, the Burnley striker who bagged a hat trick, was I correct in hearing the commentator state that he is a Manchester United fan who spent 10 years in the Manchester City academy? Whatever the case, he is one to look out for.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Yeah, you're right about Gilchrist. Scoring a hat-trick against United at Old Trafford. I bet that's going on the ol' CV.

MDFC Manager

You're insane if you rate Barmby as a better prospect than Januzaj.

He does almost everything Barmby does but better and at a younger age and with better game intelligence, vision and passing/crossing. The only thing Barmby has over him is his long range shooting.

You criticise Januzaj for slowing down the attacks, while giving Barmby a break for breaking them down..
And tbh, IMO Janujaz wasn't slowing down attacks, he was merely showing his composure which seemed far superior to anyone else.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I think it was a mistake taking Barnby of. It wasn't that long into the second half and people might say he was this and that...but he's capable. Nothing wrong with Rudge when he came on, but for me it was much of the same when he came on. We kept the ball well anyway. We were dictating most of the play.

As for talking about who was better etc - I think the team played well. It was a one in a million result. Their striker being so long as city, being a United fan and scoring a hat-trick? We inspire more then most and we're out but they'll learn.

Forevergiggs

Damn! Couldn't watch the game as I had to attend a wedding.

What happened? This was supposed to be an easy game.

I am more depressed now.:(

Drainy

And tbh, IMO Janujaz wasn't slowing down attacks, he was merely showing his composure which seemed far superior to anyone else.
I agree. I thought he gave a very mature performance- showed off his skills, pace and creativity at times, and rarely wasted possession.

Unfortunately the wide men weren't able to make the most of his link up play. Daehli put in one or two good crosses, but Barmby was disappointing.

I was impressed with the quality of Januzaj's crossing when he moved wide left, it was a really good sign for the future because like most attacking players wanting to break into the first team it's a massive advantage being able to play in the wide positions effectively.

Thisistheone

Gutted we lost last night but hopefully it proves a valuable learning curve for this team. And it was a really enjoyable game of football in fairness.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Januzaj is quality. Pearson is looking the dogs bollocks too in midfield. Loved a tackle he put in at one point when they were about to break through. Not sure about the rest of them though, Daehli is good but no better than Larnell Cole in my opinion.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Januzaj is quality. Pearson is looking the dogs bollocks too in midfield. Loved a tackle he put in at one point when they were about to break through. Not sure about the rest of them though, Daehli is good but no better than Larnell Cole in my opinion.
Daehli has been brilliant this season. Even Morrison or Pogba in their prime weren't this consistent in their best of years. I think he'll be an excellent player in the future.

PS18

Disgraceful - worst EVER performance I have seen from a United U18 side
What a truly bizarre statement. The 'worst ever' part - there have been many many worse, including in recent years. There have even been worse in the limited sample size you get from the Youth Cup (losing at home to Carlisle in 07/08 with Welbeck, Kiko, Amos, Eikrem et al springs to mind). Youth football is always unpredictable - going out to a decent side in pretty unfortunate circumstances is in no way whatsoever a 'disgrace' (even moreso when you consider that results are entirely secondary at this level) and you seriously let yourself down making such a comment.