Fabinho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brophs

The One and Only
Di Marzio and his staff seem pretty confident and considering his info comes from Juve pulling out if the race which is why he broke the story in the first place. Id take Di Marzio and his Serie A nous over the MEN clickbait merchants anyday of the week.
They both seem pretty confident. Which is why I'd wager they're being told completely different things by people they trust. There's no reason for the MEN to back this horse unless they're being told, in no uncertain terms, that it's not a goer. The sheer lack of English journos even acknowledging the Fabinho link, much less saying there's something to it, would suggest that United have made it know they're not in. If they are and are claiming not to be in for him, what's the point, apart from pre-empting the "We never wanted him anyway" routine? Similarly, there's every reason for Monaco and Fabinho to put it about that we've made an offer, which could explain why it's been made known to Di Marzio.

Again, of course, all this could end with the MEN writing an article talking about how United have been after him for years and saw off 50 other clubs to get him, but I just don't think it can be as simple as them taking a punt on this story, of all stories, not being true. There are much easier ways to get clicks and not set yourself up to potentially look stupid and misinformed in the process.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
They both seem pretty confident. Which is why I'd wager they're being told completely different things by people they trust. There's no reason for the MEN to back this horse unless they're being told, in no uncertain terms, that it's not a goer. The sheer lack of English journos even acknowledging the Fabinho link, much less saying there's something to it, would suggest that United have made it know they're not in. If they are and are claiming not to be in for him, what's the point, apart from pre-empting the "We never wanted him anyway" routine? Similarly, there's every reason for Monaco and Fabinho to put it about that we've made an offer, which could explain why it's been made known to Di Marzio.

Again, of course, all this could end with the MEN writing an article talking about how United have been after him for years and saw off 50 other clubs to get him, but I just don't think it can be as simple as them taking a punt on this story, of all stories, not being true. There are much easier ways to get clicks and not set yourself up to potentially look stupid and misinformed in the process.
Pretty much my take on it. It's strange how personal some posters take any negative news that doesn't fit in with what they want to hear. I guarantee at least some of them would be pointing out the times Di Marzio was wrong if the roles were reversed. It's almost become a competition in itself this transfer stuff.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Why are you banning people like that? Genuine question. People either have the common sense to read stuff and instantly disregard it if they think it's nonsense, or they're incapable of that, which doesn't exactly make worrying about their opinion, or how irritated they've become by an article about football, a particularly great idea.

I don't have any dog in this fight, but MEN clearly post some stuff that's of interest. It's the club's local paper. I can't imagine why banning them would even be considered.
When I see some of the accounts that are banned in the twitter thread, it is beyond me why they're banned and not the MEN. Yes, MEN is the club's local paper but apart from the Schneiderlin stuff I can't recall a story they've broken.

Though I said I'd love to ban him (for the sheer amount of bollocks he posts including the fabricated Mourinho/Mata story), it doesn't mean I could. On the whole I get irritated by the number of times I've seen people say in the twitter thread to ban x or y. If we ended up banning all the twitter accounts people wanted to, we'd end up with just the ManUtd twitter and Di Marzio.
Reading that reddit subforum - they've already banned him. It'll stop giving that xenophobic cnut the attention he craves.
Yep they banned anything related to MEN some months ago. I have been commenting on this sub for about a year before leaving them and concentrating on the Caf.

Have to admit they knew they are bullshitter much faster than I knew it.
I knew they were bullshitters years ago. I think reason they haven't been banned before is for the reason Brophs said - they're the local paper.

WPMUFC

Ok after all this MEN stuff. Maybe we should draw a line under it? We've all seen what a bold face liar Luckhurst is, but he claiming inside info.

Di marzio is claiming a bid has gone in and there are talks ongoing.

Also, none of this means we will get Fabinho, or we won't. It's just a serial liar against a very good journo.

Time to move on. :)

RAVred

I honestly think we are more likely to get Matic then Fabinho... The squad is quite inexperienced at moment and Matic would add a cool and calming experience to the side, he's also more physically imposing, which is definitely a plus point for Mourinho (as well as him having worked with him and having premier league experience).

But it probably also depends on prices, if the prices are comparable, I think we'll go for matic nearly guaranteed.

Personally if we are getting a chelsea player this window I'd prefer Willian, but I'm not mourinho.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If that's from memory I'm impressed. Although you might have just made it all up and nobody will ever check!

What about Mata from Chelsea? I remember thinking that was a load of bollocks when the rumours started. Whoever broke that one deserves praise.
It's from memory but I did not make it up.
I'd never heard of some of those players and had to look them up, like Martial, Baily and Darmian. That's why I still remember where I first heard them.
The Mata one was England. I remember reading it in the Telegrapgh and calling it BS.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Regarding Fabinho
Very valid point, by the looks of things Di Marzio only found out last night, we seem to be doing whatever we can to keep our transfers close to the chest. I imagine we could've been put off by the valuation of Dier/Matic and Fabinho was our back up, seems plausible.

Infra-red

Assuming he doesn't arrive, what would people's 2nd and 3rd choice options be? Matic/Dier don't seem altogether popular.

el3mel

Very valid point, by the looks of things Di Marzio only found out last night, we seem to be doing whatever we can to keep our transfers close to the chest. I imagine we could've been put off by the valuation of Dier/Matic and Fabinho was our back up, seems plausible.
Agree. I don't think Fabinho was our first choice, properly Dier but Spurs asking for a massive price led to us moving to other targets : Matic and Fabinho.

el3mel

Assuming he doesn't arrive, what would people's 2nd and 3rd choice options be? Matic/Dier don't seem altogether popular.
Fabinho > Dier > Matic.

But I think any one of the 3 will do the job we'll give them in the team really fine.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Fabinho > Dier > Matic.

But I think any one of the 3 will do the job we'll give them in the team really fine.
This. They are similar kinds of players. As long as we get one of the three, I would be happy.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Weigl is decent but at this point the club need exactly what Mourinho needs so he can punish all the poets of football even more.

NYAS

To put pressure on Monaco to accept a lower price? They may have known that the number of clubs Fabinho could plausibly move to at that time had decreased significantly for one reason or the other, and were in no desperate rush to overpay. And it's not like United haven't done it before. It's just as imaginable as Monaco putting it out to indicate to other clubs that they want a bidding war.

VanGaalEra

Juve been told they've missed out on Fabinho and been told it's to us.

That's where the Italian journos and Di Marzio have got their info from.

Drainy

This. They are similar kinds of players. As long as we get one of the three, I would be happy.
I think this is pretty much correct. Fabinho is definitely the most entertaining of the three, he's also the least disciplined and weakest defensively so I think that the reporting about Matic and Dier being Mourniho's choices may be correct.

Personally, my view is that Fabinho's tenacity and mobility to cover the right side when our full back bombs on will actually be a massive asset when playing 4-3-3 and he would be a better partner in a midfield 2 for Pogba when Herrera isn't selected/available.

sugar_kane

Feels a bit like the Schneiderlin saga this one, that looked like it was certain not to happen at one stage, especially when we signed Basti. Hope it works out similarly (albeit with more success on the pitch...)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
That's a very valid question. The options in DM are just shocking. Where are the Davids, the Rijkaards, the Keanes and the Inces gone?

kirk buttercup

Any news about the Fab?
Well sit down there and let me tell you. An Italian dude with a pretty good rep says he is pretty much nailed on and we all started losing our shit! doing up formations and dreaming of a title until along came Luckhurst or whatever his name is, and he started calling it BS and having fights with people on Twitter it was crazy! ,he even wrote an article and everything (admittedly it reads like a petulant child wrote it) !so it's been split down the middle those who believe the sophisticated Italian or those who think there is a bit of truth in what that Casual racist excuse for a journalist said. But as far as Fabinho goes ? No nothing.

Infra-red

Steven N'Zonzi and Leander Dendoncker.
N'Zonzi is apparently available for 40m euros, which while not cheap, might represent better value than Matic/Dier. He's better than Fabinho in the air and a more expansive passer, but obviously older and definitely not as dynamic.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
The classic "things can change".

The ultimate get out clause.

He'll probably be right on 1 transfer all summer, and then give it the whole "I WAS RIGHT"
Tbf. he amongst others was probably briefed on the no interest in Fabinho thing, I think he has some integrity and tries to keep a certain level of seriousness considering he is BBC and all.

Somewhere along the road something has changed though, or we perhaps used the briefing as a bargaining chip against Monaco, who the feck knows.

Infra-red

That's a very valid question. The options in DM are just shocking. Where are the Davids, the Rijkaards, the Keanes and the Inces gone?
Yes, slim pickings. I think N'Zonzi and Danilo Pereira might fit the bill (although the latter is perhaps a little too limited on the ball). As you say, it's not great.

Saf94

The classic "things can change".

The ultimate get out clause.

He'll probably be right on 1 transfer all summer, and then give it the whole "I WAS RIGHT"
Are people literally doubting Simon Stone? Ffs. He's literally the most reliable there is, if he said we aren't interested in Fabinho it's because he was briefed by the club that that was the case. While the club may have intentionally lied or genuinely changed their stance on Fabinho, Simon Stone certainly isn't bsing, he only reports what the definitive sources tell him. BBC don't post rumours or bs gossip

Owngoalscorer

Are people literally doubting Simon Stone? Ffs. He's literally the most reliable there is, if he said we aren't interested in Fabinho it's because he was briefed by the club that that was the case. While the club may have intentionally lied or genuinely changed their stance on Fabinho, Simon Stone certainly isn't bsing, he only reports what the definitive sources tell him. BBC don't post rumours or bs gossip
Surprised not to find white writing under that last line...

Jerch

The English media are unreliable because they write what they had been briefed by the club and we found out many times that people briefing the media are telling them lies.
In last 2 of 3 tranfer windows we always kept our targets secret and I still can't believe that media is still believing in what we are briefing them.

Maradona10

Woodward’s biggest fan
I really recommend reading this to people who have not seen Fabinho play.

cyberman

The problem with BBC is they wait until the deal is widely known before reporting on it. They're really of no use when breaking stories about transfers etc.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Stone says we were not interested before, and Di Marzio said some months back that he topped our wishlist. Interesting.

Stactix

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/gossip

Sayyyyy what?

On Fabinho, I think he'd be a great addition. I do think there's more of a risk buying him than say Matic who is proven in the premier league & is more likely to hit the ground running. At the same time, he's young coming off the back of a great season & was a key cog to arguably the most exciting side in the world last season.
In a few years, who knows he could be twice the player. While Matic is more experienced you don't see getting any better, although that's not a bad thing as he's a very good player.

I'd be happy with either, I think Fabinho is the more 'exciting player' but I don't think there's much between the two, in terms of quality.
The risky thing with Fab is how good will he be outside of Monaco, Monaco were LCFC on steroids last season.. How many fans wanted half of LCFC's squad when they won the league?

I think if Utd were to get him, I think he'd be an excellent signing so don't jump on me!

Status
Not open for further replies.