[Fabrizio Romano] Manchester United want to discuss a new contract with David De Gea...

The Red Thinker

Quite possible Erik has agreed to this as he doesn't see replacing De Gea in the next few windows
Here’s the thing… Ten Hag’s many styles with different teams have all started at the back. Someone with minimal feet skills will be an impediment. Let ETH watch him for half a season and then let’s talk

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Here’s the thing… Ten Hag’s many styles with different teams have all started at the back. Someone with minimal feet skills will be an impediment. Let ETH watch him for half a season and then let’s talk
Do you honestly believe that Ten Hag doesn’t know how DDG plays?

Andersonson

His last contract was already a huge mistake. New contracts for Bruno and De Gea with Rashford soon to follow will be weights on the ankles of ETH before he has even started his job. The idiots in charge haven't changed at all.
What information do you have on ETH not being involved in this process?

BuzzKillington

He’s basically a walking reflex, given that reflexes are the first thing to go as you start to age, it doesn’t bode well for him. He’ll go from very good keeper to absolute liability very quickly.

Rolling one year contracts on his current salary if we must, and if he isn’t happy replace him with Hendo who is basically a carbon copy with nearly all the same strengths and flaws.

mctrials23

Am I dreaming that Dave's distribution when he first joined us was pretty good?
I think you might be. I think that it just wasn't so glaringly bad because at the time that was how all keepers looked. Its probably only in the last 5 or so years that the sweeper keeper has become vital to the top sides.

Gandalf

So this is the process.

Fabrizio has not posted for 30 minutes
Fabrizio pulls up Transfermarkt
Fabrizio picks any United player with a contract expiring in 2023
Fabrizio spouts generic discussions over new contract nonsense
Fabrizio gets tons of clicks and retweets thus boosting his profile

meanwhile

United fans go into meltdown
Story does not come true
Next week he does it again
United fans go into meltdown
Repeat ad nauseum

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
What information do you have on ETH not being involved in this process?
Well only one out of the three have had new contracts and that was before ETH was official. Hopefully he will give his opinion and it will be listened to. From all we know about his style of football the three players in question probably don't fit into a classic ETH system.

Andersonson

Well only one out of the three have had new contracts and that was before ETH was official. Hopefully he will give his opinion and it will be listened to. From all we know about his style of football the three players in question probably don't fit into a classic ETH system.
So no information, just pure speculation and your opinion on it. Got it

Andersonson

Might as well copy paste that reply for 99.9% of the posts in this forum. No shit it's my opinion weirdo
It's more weird to call someone an idiot without knowing anything about the process. What if the contracts given had green light from ETH? Is he already an idiot then?

Logic is hard for some I guess

therealtboy

Supports
Feyenoord
He’s basically a walking reflex, given that reflexes are the first thing to go as you start to age, it doesn’t bode well for him. He’ll go from very good keeper to absolute liability very quickly.

Rolling one year contracts on his current salary if we must, and if he isn’t happy replace him with Hendo who is basically a carbon copy with nearly all the same strengths and flaws.
I'lll just say this, Van der Sar's reflexs didn't go anywhere so I'm sure De Gea will age just fine. ETH will mold him into what he needs but how on earth people still think a keeper that saves you multiple points a season isn't useful is beyond me. De Gea doesn't need replacing, he will improve his ball playing under ETH, he will be more used to it and will get better no doubt, so will the rest of the backline. He is the least of our problems and has had a very good season.

We need an rvn

It's more weird to call someone an idiot without knowing anything about the process. What if the contracts given had green light from ETH? Is he already an idiot then?

Logic is hard for some I guess
Becker is on £150k PE, ddg on £375k

I’d argue Becker is the better keeper too

De Bruyne £280k and salad £240k, both after contract renewals

the only correct thing in your post is that logic is hard for some, I guess!!! :houllier:

NoPace

I remember it as inconsistent but quite good at times and it's gotten consistently worse, like the overall games of what should be the core of the squad age-wise (Martial, Rashford, Lingard, Pogba, Shaw).

NoPace

I'lll just say this, Van der Sar's reflexs didn't go anywhere so I'm sure De Gea will age just fine. ETH will mold him into what he needs but how on earth people still think a keeper that saves you multiple points a season isn't useful is beyond me. De Gea doesn't need replacing, he will improve his ball playing under ETH, he will be more used to it and will get better no doubt, so will the rest of the backline. He is the least of our problems and has had a very good season.
It's hard to say. His passing has gotten much worse, but take the Villareal-Liverpool game today for example, he would have managed to somehow keep the first goal out and then who knows if they hang on for 0-0 and are 50/50 to go through instead of probably 15/1 or whatever.

Jev

Yeah, he was known for that. It's still pretty decent but people see what they want to see.

The problem is he's not proactive and doesn't come out of his area. People conflate those two things. His abilities with the ball at his feet are pretty good for a goalkeeper, his passing is relatively precise. He's not Allison or Ederson but it's not nearly the problem it's being made out to be.

gajender

If you think De Gea's only issue is ball playing and distribution , then I don't think you have even actually detected the real problem and weaknesses in De Gea's Game and how it adversely impacts the Team .
And If Ten Hag persists with De Gea beyond this season and De Gea gets his contract Extended under his Watch then his judgement is also quite questionable as well.

LoneStar

this place is ridiculous, he's been one of the best keepers in the league this year. and bar last year, he has been for the last decade , and you all want rid for a shiny new toy because you think he doesn't suit the manager.

Ten Hag has said he wants input on transfers and the squad setup. if he was adamant De Gea doesn't suit he'd have said already.
Yeah, this is a weird take. How do we know that Ten Hag himself has not approved this? Maybe he wants DDG to stay? We have a whole list of positions that need upgrading before we come to the GK. So it makes sense if we want to continue with DDG till then. I just hope it‘s a short contract.

Longshanks

The two things that de gea are good at are reflex saves on his line and his handling is pretty top drawer. The problem is everything else is awful, distribution, command, organisation, sweeping and he is a complete wuss when it comes to physicality and aggression.

He has far too many flaws to be classed as a top keeper in any era, but especially now where keepers are expected to be so much more and a vital part of the build up phase at the top level.

Some may believe that he isnt our biggest problem, and that may be true this summer because of the crazy amount of first team outgoings but we should be looking to bin him ASAP, Sanchez from Brighton is someone we could get for probably not a huge outlay and ticks alot of the boxes of a top modern keeper. Thats who I would go for.

saivet

Keeping him is one thing but I think there should be an issue with giving him a new contract.
  1. We're under no pressure of losing him on a free or someone even bidding to unsettle him
  2. He's overpaid and probably would want similar wages, if not more
  3. He's been good this season but we'd be ignoring his shaky form a few seasons before. If it wasn't for Henderson getting Covid at the start of the season, who knows where he'd be
  4. He has some fundamental flaws as a GK in the modern game
  5. The club has a track record of handing out contracts to players and managers prematurely
We don't have to bin him off this summer but giving him a new contract now would be another one of our bizarre decisions.

I could see the logic (even if I don't agree with it) in giving Bruno a new contract as he was being rewarded for his good stats last season but the logic isn't there for DDG.

Andersonson

Becker is on £150k PE, ddg on £375k

I’d argue Becker is the better keeper too

De Bruyne £280k and salad £240k, both after contract renewals

the only correct thing in your post is that logic is hard for some, I guess!!! :houllier:
I didnt say anything about salaries, I was talking about the extension of De Gea and the process behind it. Wether is a management decision or whether the new manager is involved. I didnt call someone out for being an idiot without knowing who is involved.

De Gea is our most reliable player and probably the most important one if you look at the last 5 seasons. Is he earning too much? Probably yes. Should he be paid more than Rashford or Pogba? Probably yes if you look at how important he is.

We need an rvn

I didnt say anything about salaries, I was talking about the extension of De Gea and the process behind it. Wether is a management decision or whether the new manager is involved. I didnt call someone out for being an idiot without knowing who is involved.

De Gea is our most reliable player and probably the most important one if you look at the last 5 seasons. Is he earning too much? Probably yes. Should he be paid more than Rashford or Pogba? Probably yes if you look at how important he is.
First of, he has not been our most reliable player for 5 years. He's been probably one of the few that has been a consistent starting XI over 5 years, that doesn't make him reliable. His form has dropped massively at times and cost us. He has not been worth the £375k p/w over the 4 years that's for sure.

The process of renewing a contract is a combination of a lot of things. One massive part of that is the salary - how does it impact squad morale / salary vs the rest of the best in their position (again Becker on £150k, DDG on £375k). The club are idiots for paying him what his is earning. No way will he accept a £200k reduction in salary to put him in line with other keepers of his ability.

I'd rather he leaves for free and we Dean goes in on £150 in line with Becker and the savings goes to fixing other areas of the team.

Andersonson

First of, he has not been our most reliable player for 5 years. He's been probably one of the few that has been a consistent starting XI over 5 years, that doesn't make him reliable. His form has dropped massively at times and cost us. He has not been worth the £375k p/w over the 4 years that's for sure.

The process of renewing a contract is a combination of a lot of things. One massive part of that is the salary - how does it impact squad morale / salary vs the rest of the best in their position (again Becker on £150k, DDG on £375k). The club are idiots for paying him what his is earning. No way will he accept a £200k reduction in salary to put him in line with other keepers of his ability.

I'd rather he leaves for free and we Dean goes in on £150 in line with Becker and the savings goes to fixing other areas of the team.
I don't agree with his salary either, but he has been one of our most reliable players for 5 seasons. That my opinion at least and it seems like the club agrees, hence the extension. Giving up on De Gea and starting Dean Henderson would be a huge downgrade. No way that's happening. He's a bad Pickford