Facts about football that shouldn't be true - but are

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
This is one that I find really strange even if he didn't retire from playing until he was 42.

Teddy Sheringham is the same age as Romario.

Oranges038

Switzerland were involved in a relatively entertaining match tonight.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Still seems weird to me that a bloke called Matty Cash is playing for Poland. Maybe not weird, but I was surprised.

It shouldn't be in some ways because we obviously have lots of movement of people around the world on a greater basis than we once did. I suppose his Polish connections aren't obvious though. Anglo sounding and looking name and born in England.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Anyone remember this midfield plodder who disappeared in the mid-90s?

Turns out he went to play alongside the guy currently captaining Brazil.
Quite the career overlap that! Made his professional debut in 1986 and played with someone appearing in the World Cup in 2022.
I knew Samways had played for Sevilla at some point, I didn't know or had forgotten he had a long spell with Las Palmas prior. Did well for them apparently, helping them to promotion to the top flight in Spain.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
Still seems weird to me that a bloke called Matty Cash is playing for Poland. Maybe not weird, but I was surprised.

It shouldn't be in some ways because we obviously have lots of movement of people around the world on a greater basis than we once did. I suppose his Polish connections aren't obvious though. Anglo sounding and looking name and born in England.
i think what you mean is that it’s strange that one of us is over their stealing one of their jobs for once.

Ole'sgunnarwin

United never lost 2-0 at home under Ferguson.
United haven't lost a match at home that they were winning at half time since 1984.
Danny Murphy's penalty in 2004 was the first time an away team scored a penalty in the league in 10 years.

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
under ferguson, united only lost they games they didn’t draw or win.

Josh 76

All the World Cup favourites have lost in the group stages of this World Cup.

Brazil
France
Argentina
Spain
Portugal
Germany
Belgium

(Apart from England !)

What odds would you have got on that at the start of the World Cup?

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Messi scoring tonight was the first time either him or Ronaldo has scored in a WC knockout game. Jeez took them long enough.

Arlo

Former Inter Milan defender Giuseppe Bergomi featured in four World Cups for Italy, winning it in 1982, but never featured in a single qualifying match.

JeffFromHK

United never lost 2-0 at home under Ferguson.
United haven't lost a match at home that they were winning at half time since 1984.
Danny Murphy's penalty in 2004 was the first time an away team scored a penalty in the league in 10 years.
Also:
Salah was the first ever opponent player that scored a Premier League hat-trick against ManUtd at Old Trafford

Under Fergie, Brazilian Ronaldo was the only player that scored a hat-trick against ManUtd at Old Trafford

Under Fergie, only 4 players scored Premier League hat-tricks against ManUtd - Bentley, Lukaku, Etoo, Kuyt

Last edited:

FriedClams

Lee trundle finished playing football in 2013 when he was 37… he came back in the welsh leagues 3 years later and finished his career by scoring 167 goals in 142 league games, all in his 40s

Foxbatt

It would have been more weird if he played for The Czech Republic.

Chief123

It was also the 1st 2-2 half-time World Cup match since Argentina and England in 1998.
Now that is surprising considering there’s been around 300 games since then!

I guess it shows how cagey World Cup games are.

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
Sorry. I've just read there's an English manager called Nestor El Maestro in the Saudi Premier League, who has this entry on his Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nestor_El_Maestro said:
Born to Serbian parents who later relocated to West Sussex, England when he was eight years old, he changed his surname to El Maestro at the age of 18, after having it changed once before in his teenage years, due to himself identifying as British and in an attempt to distance himself from his Serbian roots because of his native country's role in the Yugoslav Wars.[1]

Karlos PFC

i think what you mean is that it’s strange that one of us is over their stealing one of their jobs for once.
They took our jobs

Wow. How? How old was he!
He was 18(?) at the time. Also I'm not really sure but he played as right back at OT or maybe I remember a different game but for sure Xavi at his youth played as a right back

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Lineker just said that only 2 WC penalty shoot-outs have gone to sudden death... Which I thought was surprising.

lysglimt

Scout
Mickey Quinn went from being frozen out at Newcastle (in the old League 1) to scoring 17 goals in 6 months for Coventry in the P.L in 1992/93

Andy Ritchie managed Oldham for 3 years (about 180 matches) and Barnsley for 1.5 years (about 90 matches) - and somehow managed to get almost exactly the same win percentage for both clubs (32.95% and 32,96%)

foolsgold

Denmark defeated France in an international match 17-1 at the 1908 Olympics, with one Danish player scoring 10 goals.

SirReginald

Supports
Chelsea

I’m actually surprised we haven’t had any players from Poland and other Eastern European countries feature for England. The only one that comes to mind who may have was Broja but he chose Albania.

tentan

Poor man's poster.
Netherlands haven't lost* a World Cup game since the 2010 WC final.

*Games that end in Penalty shootouts 'counts' as a draw. So their unbeaten record is still ongoing.

In fact they have lost a WC game in 90 minutes since 2006.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Also:
Salah was the first ever opponent player that scored a Premier League hat-trick against ManUtd at Old Trafford

Under Fergie, Brazilian Ronaldo was the only player that scored a hat-trick against ManUtd at Old Trafford

Under Fergie, only 4 players scored Premier League hat-tricks against ManUtd - Bentley, Lukaku, Etoo, Kuyt