Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

gza the genius

It's been 5 games or so and for much of that time 75% of the starting back line has been out. Obviously the first against Bayern was a huge error but it can happen to any keeper. You guys are all crazy. I'm not saying he's definitely going to be a success but to write him off this early is just silly.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
So would Onanas whats your point?
You’ve clearly joined this conversation late and so you’ve missed the context. I’ll help you. The person I was replying to said that DDG would not (not *might* not, would not) have saved that first goal in the Munich match. I was disagreeing.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
You’ve clearly joined this conversation late and so you’ve missed the context. I’ll help you. The person I was replying to said that DDG would not (not *might* not, would not) have saved that first goal in the Munich match. I was disagreeing.
Fair enough my mistake

OrcaFat

It's been 5 games or so and for much of that time 75% of the starting back line has been out. Obviously the first against Bayern was a huge error but it can happen to any keeper. You guys are all crazy. I'm not saying he's definitely going to be a success but to write him off this early is just silly.
Totally agree. He’s been shaky when the balls flying at him but he’s come into a shaky team and is far from being our biggest problem. He might not turn out to be the greatest all round keeper in the world but he can do a good job for us and is great with his feet (!!).

red.knight

My concern in regards to Onana is, his reflexes. He freezes as the ball passes by his chin

JediSith

What would the reaction on here have been if one of the defenders last night had reacted to his mistake in the same way he reacted to Maguire's mistake?
Not the same. No one ever criticises a fellow player after a howler.. yet alone shouts at him.

But it’s perfectly fine to shout at players who are not doing the basic. Eg so if Onana doesn’t come out to claim a cross or doesn’t run out to win a through ball and prevent a 1vs1 etc then the players have every right to have a go at him.

Last edited:

JediSith

One error. People are completely overreacting.
Overreacting yes. But one error no. I posted a few weeks ago that the goals he was conceding were weak. Was mostly a critique about him not coming out to narrow the angles for one of Arsenals goals, same Vs Nottingham Forest. Since then his let in weaker goals that people have realised. The one Vs Bayern is just the glaring one.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
One error. People are completely overreacting.
Not about the errors, though they don’t help. He has conceded 14 goals in 6 games. Last season we had a rubbish goal difference because we couldn’t score enough. Now we are conceding loads too. It’s not good enough to say ‘oh he’ll be fine, just settling in’ when City are already 9pts ahead.
On top of that he isn’t doing the things we bought him in to do. The things he is supposed to be good at.

Last edited:

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Overreacting yes. But one error no. I posted a few weeks ago that the goals he was conceding were weak. Was mostly a critique about him not coming out to narrow the angles for one of Arsenals goals, same Vs Nottingham Forest. Since then his let in weaker goals that people have realised. The one Vs Bayern is just the glaring one.
Are you talking about the 1 v 1 situations, where both players had plenty of time to create good angles due to poor defending?

sebsheep

Not about the errors, though they don’t help. He has conceded 14 goals in 6 games. Last season we had a rubbish goal difference because we couldn’t score enough. Now we are conceding loads too. It’s not good enough to say ‘oh he’ll be fine, just settling in’ when City are already 9pts ahead.
On top of that he isn’t doing the things we bought him in to do. The things he is supposed to be good at.
The team has, not just him. Unless you think he's to blame for every goal.
You also really need to look at the amount of goals we conceded last season, especially at this stage because you're not talking about real things here.

Balljy

He obviously offers us something new, we're at 4th or 5th choice defenders, his attitude is good and he's accepted he's not been at his best so far. For me it's looking good but we'll see.

ROFLUTION

You make it sound like he’s at fault for all of our defence who’s let in 14 goals which is crazy.

What do you mean he isnt doing the things we bought him to do? He’s playing it out really well - levels above De Gea in that aspect. If you just say “yeah but his main job is to not let in 14 goals” maybe have a think of whether all the goals really are on him.

AneRu

Bad start but I think he'll come good.
Agreed, you don't play in a CL final and semi final within a period of three years if you are not good. It's the adjustment period, injuries to key players and the general malaise that's set in this season that's hurting us.

OleGunnar20

Agreed, you don't play in a CL final and semi final within a period of three years if you are not good. It's the adjustment period, injuries to key players and the general malaise that's set in this season that's hurting us.
Ayye, and there's something about his attitude I like and think will carry him through.

GueRed

It's early days. The jury is still out for me.

Of the 14 goals conceded so far you could argue he was unlucky with some (bad defending), could've done better with a few of them etc

Bayern the other night? no excuses. Deserved the criticism for chucking that first one in.

pascell

I don't think it's that he's not very good, just very overrated. He's a bit like Ramsdale, overhyped because of his ball playing abilities but has a calamity in him, which is a defenders nightmare as it'll always be in the back of their mind if they let their attacker go.

He isn't elite or world class, definitely not a £55-60m upgrade on de Gea, for that much we should be getting elite level.

JediSith

Are you talking about the 1 v 1 situations, where both players had plenty of time to create good angles due to poor defending?
Posted this in the post match thread. My only negative surprise with Onana has been the way the he deals with 1v1. Only two examples so a small sample set.

The goal Vs Nottingham Forest when he fell on his backside, I was very surprised that he didn’t run out more to close the distance.

Also for Jesus’ goal I felt like he could have rushed out, narrowed the angle, and put pressure on Jesus.

Im not saying doing so would have prevented either of the two goals but they do make things more difficult. Instead he appeared to be more like DDG in holding the line and just hoping for a bad shot or great save.

That has been a bit of a surprise. Based on his style of play and dealing with crosses I thought he’d be more Big Pete like in those situations.

The Oracle

I still think that Onana is an upgrade on the De Gea that we have seen for the past 5 years (since the 2018 World Cup), however the De Gea prior to the 2018 World Cup was a better keeper than the current version of Onana that we are seeing.
It is still very early days though, so I think it would be best to assess him after he's completed a full season at the club.

My actual preference was for us to sign David Raya for the following reasons:
- Premier League proven
- Available for a lower price than Onana, and would have freed up extra funds for us to use in other areas that needed strengthening

David Raya has had an impressive start to his Arsenal career...
Prior to last weekend's win at Everton, Arsenal had failed to record a win at Goodison Park since October 2017 (4 losses and a draw before they won there 1-0 last week with Raya making his Arsenal debut).
Raya then followed it up with another clean sheet in his very next game in Arsenal's 4-0 Champions League win against PSV.

...very early days when comparing David Raya and Onana, but in my opinion the smart money was Raya.

sebsheep

I still think that Onana is an upgrade on the De Gea that we have seen for the past 5 years (since the 2018 World Cup), however the De Gea prior to the 2018 World Cup was a better keeper than the current version of Onana that we are seeing.
It is still very early days though, so I think it would be best to assess him after he's completed a full season at the club.

My actual preference was for us to sign David Raya for the following reasons:
- Premier League proven
- Available for a lower price than Onana, and would have freed up extra funds for us to use in other areas that needed strengthening

David Raya has had an impressive start to his Arsenal career...
Prior to last weekend's win at Everton, Arsenal had failed to record a win at Goodison Park since October 2017 (4 losses and a draw before they won there 1-0 last week with Raya making his Arsenal debut).
Raya then followed it up with another clean sheet in his very next game in Arsenal's 4-0 Champions League win against PSV.

...very early days when comparing David Raya and Onana, but in my opinion the smart money was Raya.
Did he do something impressive in those games? Haven't watched either of them but he has 1 save in the game Vs Everton.
It makes it seem like you're judging his start on his team's results.

Offside

Euro 2016 sweepstake winner
I still think that Onana is an upgrade on the De Gea that we have seen for the past 5 years
Based on the evidence so far (I’m not saying Onana won’t turn out alright) he’s way behind De Gea of last season, and comparing him with De Gea of 5 years ago is like comparing Van De Beek with Scholes.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Costs us again with a stupid brainless pass into the middle of the field. Just begging for the striker to intercept and giving Casemiro no choice but to tackle.
We replaced DeGea because of his mistakes allegedly, but at least his mistakes were conceding goals not creating them.

Woodzy

Yep I’m out. Tried to defend him but De Gea was a much safer pair of hands.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
What the heck was that for the 3rd goal.
Might as well have just run away and left it open.

He can't save shots. That's a slight flaw even if you're Beckenbauer on the ball.

sebsheep

Costs us again with a stupid brainless pass into the middle of the field. Just begging for the striker to intercept and giving Casemiro no choice but to tackle.
We replaced DeGea because of his mistakes allegedly, but at least his mistakes were conceding goals not creating them.
Technically his mistake didn't lead to a goal :lol:
Didn't have a good game but it's definitely weird that you're back in here having watched a game where we gave up some ridiculous chances.