Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Doesnt work for my area, can you describe the video? I'm open for debate, not saying i know it all.

See if that one works. If not, it's De Gea doing the Onana last season.

Hughie77

I was vocal here in pointing out how dumb it was to spend limited transfer funds to swap out one flawed keeper with another flawed keeper, but here we are and we should all get behind the man.

What’s done is done and it is what it is. But I hope club management learn the lesson that you cannot let every new manager chop and change the squad, especially at a position that didn’t need the chop.
Agree, it's happened like you it wasn't necessary at this time in the Rebuild, DDG would have wanted a longer deal on big wages ? And maybe that has forced there hand... He's a keeper that is just as flawed as DDG was at times.. I just hope he improves..

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
Ok i'll look for something similar as it doesn't work. Yeah DDG made mistakes but i can post a video of countless amazing saves also.
Everyone knows that DDG made some amazing reaction saves (as well as some ridiculous blunders in more recent years) but I think you’ll struggle to post us a video of DDG displaying amazing distribution, pushing himself out into midfield to support a high line or organising a defence & commanding his penalty area.
Onana might not prove the ultimate solution but as the modern game developed and keepers took on greater outfield responsibilities DDG became a sea anchor to progress and Onana at least brings the skills necessary to allow you to move forward as a club.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Everyone knows that DDG made some amazing reaction saves (as well as some ridiculous blunders in more recent years) but I think you’ll struggle to post us a video of DDG displaying amazing distribution, pushing himself out into midfield to support a high line or organising a defence & commanding his penalty area.
Onana might not prove the ultimate solution but as the modern game developed and keepers took on greater outfield responsibilities DDG became a sea anchor to progress and Onana at least brings the skills necessary to allow you to move forward as a club.
The tricky part is, I guess, how you weigh up that trade-off. So much is subjective - how do you assign a value to better ball retention? I couldn't begin to think about the disparate factors involved in that.

Livvie

Executive Manager being kept sane only by her madn
Scout
De Gea wasn't great when he first came. Just saying.

lex talionis

Agree, it's happened like you it wasn't necessary at this time in the Rebuild, DDG would have wanted a longer deal on big wages ? And maybe that has forced there hand... He's a keeper that is just as flawed as DDG was at times.. I just hope he improves..
Too many of us got caught up in the euphoria of the “transformation” of our attack, but my hope is that he’ll be a steady force in goal, not much more than that. Onana will get there, but he’s clearly not there yet.

SalfordRed18

Netflix and avocado, no chill
Supports
Ashwood City FC
Last time I checked Onana isn’t a skinny kid fresh out of the academy. He kind of came with a reputation and expectations that David didn’t.
Eh? Last time I checked, neither was de gea?

And in actual fact, de gea came from a better league to boot...

Hughes35

Textbook? Nothing to do with it. Every Utd keeper has started questionably and I think like said, there is no position scrutinised more. I think its pressure and that comes with making mistakes.
The other issue is the sample size, far to early to say made worse coming into a team thats struggling...
Textbook has everything to do with it when you're not performing.

I don't think it's dead in the water for Onana though. I think he could still turn it around and become very good (hopefully)

BobFromParva

Supports
Whitchurch Alport FC
The tricky part is, I guess, how you weigh up that trade-off. So much is subjective - how do you assign a value to better ball retention? I couldn't begin to think about the disparate factors involved in that.
You’re quite right mate. It’s a complicated topic and I don’t profess to have all the answers but what we all know is that TH coaches progressive high line possession football and you simply can’t play that way with a keeper who can’t leave his line and can’t distribute confidently and accurately.
Keeping DDG last season meant that TH was forced to be pragmatic to get the best out of a team that he couldn’t push forward and, IMO, that avoided the early implementation of a steep learning curve and incidentally gave you better outcomes last season than you’d have got if TH had been gifted a keeper like Onana a year earlier.
Conversely, TH is now trying to coach your squad in a difficult system of play that they’d have already have been used to if Onana had been with you a year. This, I recon, is the main cause of your current clunky results but it’ll click in due course and you’ll be pleased with the outcomes.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Eh? Last time I checked, neither was de gea?

And in actual fact, de gea came from a better league to boot...
David was 21 when he signed here. He was still turning out for the under 21 and under 23 NT for 2 years after that. It’s hardly peak age for a keeper in any case.
Onana is 27, and has been playing first team football for club and country for 7 years. He’s a heck of a lot more experienced than David was when he signed here.

The Irish Connection

His best asset gets wasted time and time again because our out fielders are worse on the ball than he is.

We played out class this one time in the first half, got dalot running up the wing, with pellistri alongside and just the full back in front. Tries a square ball, as usual doesn't reach its target and martinez ended up having to make a last ditch tackle to stop them being though 1 v 1.
100%. Exactly what I thought too during that first 25 minutes or so. He was actually helping our build up a lot but the outfield players let promising moves go to shite.
That Dalot pass annoyed the hell out of me.
Thats why Onanas howler was so disappointing, he had actually been playing well and he played well in the second half too.

yeti

his positioning is a concern for me. the bigger concern is how many shots the opposition is getting inside our box

Varun1

Good keeper, but not levels above DDG other than his footwork. Should have kept DDG on a short term contract (if he had agreed) or Kovar, and spent the money elsewhere. I don't think we should have spent big money on a GK this time around.
Or even go for someone cheaper like Raya.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You’re quite right mate. It’s a complicated topic and I don’t profess to have all the answers but what we all know is that TH coaches progressive high line possession football and you simply can’t play that way with a keeper who can’t leave his line and can’t distribute confidently and accurately.
Keeping DDG last season meant that TH was forced to be pragmatic to get the best out of a team that he couldn’t push forward and, IMO, that avoided the early implementation of a steep learning curve and incidentally gave you better outcomes last season than you’d have got if TH had been gifted a keeper like Onana a year earlier.
Conversely, TH is now trying to coach your squad in a difficult system of play that they’d have already have been used to if Onana had been with you a year. This, I recon, is the main cause of your current clunky results but it’ll click in due course and you’ll be pleased with the outcomes.
Yeah, i'd agree with that, and maybe the answer to my question is.. that you don't need all the answers! You simply need to know that a GK suited only to 'plan A' football is not going to work with a team and manager intent on 'plan B', and once you've concluded that, then the decision is made.

evil_geko

David was 21 when he signed here. He was still turning out for the under 21 and under 23 NT for 2 years after that. It’s hardly peak age for a keeper in any case.
Onana is 27, and has been playing first team football for club and country for 7 years. He’s a heck of a lot more experienced than David was when he signed here.
Years mean almost nothing for Goalkeepers, some GKs reach their peak in early 30s.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
Fine, but it's a bit disingenuous to state de gea was some kid out of an academy when we got him, isn't it?

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I know it's early doors but after 6 games i reckon we've seen what he's about.

0 to Wolves (they are crap)
2 to spurs
2 to forest
3 to Arsenal
3 to brighton
4 to Bayern including a howler

He's not good enough. De Gea was our player of the match/month/season regularly and i imagine we'll be dropping a lot of points because Onana is in goal instead of De Gea.
I'm not saying all these goals are on him but even when i watch his technique it's not very inspiring. Some of the goals nobody was going to stop but still.
I guess De Gea isn't good enough to replace De Gea then because we conceded 2 away to Spurs, 3 away to Arsenal and 2 at home to Brighton last season, so Forest is the only 'big' difference as we didn't play Bayern.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
Wasn't De Gea the first choice gk and a UEFA Cup winner when he joined?
He was 19 at the time. It doesn’t compare to Onana, however you try to frame it. It’s a stupid conversation.
We can’t argue Onana is a big upgrade on De Gea and then when he has a nightmare say ‘but David did that too when he first joined’. Onana is supposed to be better and not making these same mistakes! And a 27 year old keeper should be better than a 21 year old. That’s just natural.

SalfordRed18

Supports
Ashwood City FC
No. It’s exactly what he was. Onana has played a champions league final for goodness sake!
Stop double downing. 84 Appearances for atletico including not only Europe, but Europa League final that he won, means he quite clearly wasnt some kid fresh out of the academy when he was signed.

Verward

Onana always had this issue in his game. One minute he is world class and another minute, he is championship level player. I had seen him when he was at Ajax and I was never convinced. I even held him responsible for Ajax exit from the CL semi at the hands of Spurs. I felt any real good goal keeper would have stopped the last minute goal spurs scored.

I am afraid he is not going to be long term solution for us.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He was 19 at the time. It doesn’t compare to Onana, however you try to frame it. It’s a stupid conversation.
We can’t argue Onana is a big upgrade on De Gea and then when he has a nightmare say ‘but David did that too when he first joined’. Onana is supposed to be better and not making these same mistakes! And a 27 year old keeper should be better than a 21 year old. That’s just natural.
You were the one trying to frame De Gea as really inexperienced. People are just pointing out that's not exactly true. But we all know that, it's why you used his appearances for the national team rather than his club.

This whole thread is a stupid conversation, no idea who would even start it...

mu4c_20le

Onana always had this issue in his game. One minute he is world class and another minute, he is championship level player. I had seen him when he was at Ajax and I was never convinced. I even held him responsible for Ajax exit from the CL semi at the hands of Spurs. I felt any real good goal keeper would have stopped the last minute goal spurs scored.

I am afraid he is not going to be long term solution for us.
I didn't watch all their games but I do remember him making some low level mistakes from time to time. Then he came out with that interview where he suggested people only assume that because of african keepers. He does love to talk, I really hope he can back it up here or the media will eat him up.

Will Singh

I’ve been thinking of a polite way to say this but just can’t find anything apart from he’s crap. A goalkeeper should be good at stopping the ball going into the goal first then secondary should be he’s fancy passing.

Wazzaduke33

Our only saving grace is the Saudis, we may be able to recoup our fee for him when Ten Hag ends up there managing Al Shabab next season

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Can we give our players some time? Is it too much to ask?
The best thing to do for people like you and me would be to stay away from the caf while we're doing this. In fact, I don't even know why I'm here. Force of habit I guess.

Tyrion

Obviously he's not great. We signed him.

De Gea wasn't great when he first came. Just saying.
I remember that he became the biggest story in every game he played. Papers ran stories on his supposedly bad eyesight (apparently there's no opticians in Spain :rolleyes:).

Swordsman

What's so annoying is that Alisson or Ederson have never made any mistakes since joining Liverpool or City respectively. Not a single fecking mistake. They've always been perfect, every single game. Especially crunch games.

How can our rivals get it so right and we get it so wrong? :(
never made mistakes ????? they do but not many... you forgot how Alisson made mistake against real madrid in UCL last season ?