Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He looks fat and out of shape to me. It’s hard to find a goalkeeper with his physique and it’s no surprise he does seem to get down quick enough.

Unfortunately the writing was on the wall with this when it comes to his shot stopping. We all saw his videos of his saves at Inter last season and everyone commented on how poor his handling was and his ability to not keep hold of fairly routine shots. The hope was that we’d transform into a possession team and dominate so that this weakness would be mitigated.
I was thinking the same thing last night! It takes an age for him to get down and make a save, doesnt look very agile

Stadjer

He looks fat and out of shape to me. It’s hard to find a goalkeeper with his physique and it’s no surprise he does seem to get down quick enough.

Unfortunately the writing was on the wall with this when it comes to his shot stopping. We all saw his videos of his saves at Inter last season and everyone commented on how poor his handling was and his ability to not keep hold of fairly routine shots. The hope was that we’d transform into a possession team and dominate so that this weakness would be mitigated.

In reality we’re the same side as last season and under Ole and I cannot think of a worse goalie to have between the sticks playing our current style, especially with how open we are letting teams get chances.

The unfortunate thing is unlike outfield players you can’t have a gk who makes mistakes. If this continues it could be the worst signing of the ten hag era and that’s saying a lot. His mistakes will cost us games.
:lol: :lol: classic Caf, claiming Manchester United are fat and out of shape. According to the caf, current fat players in the squad : Shaw, Casemiro and now Onana has joined that fat squad too.

Real Name

I love threads popping out left, right and center. One mistake and he's the worst signing ever.

Remember we cant have a keeper who makes mistakes. Ever.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
He wasn't my first choice (Martinez was) but top marks for coming out and talking about his start to life at United. It would help if the defence and midfield weren't utter shite right now. Total nonsense to think of buying a new keeper.

And for all those saying DDG this and DDG that: why has not a single club picked him up now he's a free agent? Most people know the answer to that

Born2Lose

Conceded 4 but made 5 saves. The margin would have been higher with De Gea in goal. That's the type of pressure game De Gea always cacked himself in like Sevilla away and the Liverpool 7-0 result, in spite of Liverpool only having 8 shots on target.

acnumber9

Remember De Geas first season? I do. Teams kept lobbing balls in from deep and taking long shots cause of his errors and everybody thought Lindegaard should be number 1 instead.

Good times.
De Gea was 20 when he signed for United.

Kaos

Yeah let's write him off after 5 or so games while the rest of the team have also been playing abysmally. It was exactly the same when De Gea signed all those years ago and we were concerned we signed a bust.

He's clearly a very good keeper and more crucially one that has an excellent attitude on him. How about we adopt the novel approach of getting behind him, because like it or not he's our no.1 for the foreseeable.

Zed 101

Absolute joke... the defence and midfield are a shambles, Onana looks like our best outfield player at times.... as for shot stopping barring the howler last night I do not have any real criticism, and he also made some class saves last night too, the goals that have been conceded in the main would be conceded by most if not all keepers, expose any keeper to the extent that Onana has been and they will concede... as for DDG he would just not bother to try to save making it look unsaveable.... at least now we can hold the ball at the back and playing out from the back is much improved.... not to forget a keeper who actually defends crosses and corners

El Jefe

I’ve seen some comments saying one mistake and the knives are out. Are some of you blind??

I guess he’s only made one mistake if yesterday is the first match you’ve watched this season.

I’m still hoping he comes good but let’s not lie to ourselves.

Cpt Negative

If he saves the Rice shot it's an exceptional save, belongs no where near a list of shots he should've done better with. I don't really think the Awoniyi one should be on their either tbh.
He parried the Rice one into his own net and fell on his arse for Awonyi

Mike Smalling

A bad start from a shot stopping perspective. To be fair, he's also had pretty terrible protection in front of him, but of course he can't let in that Sané shot.

On the other hand, the distribution is quite noticeably better. I no longer have a sense of anxiety when we build from the back. If only he had some competent players to distribute to.

cafecillos

"Unpopular" opinion, right...:lol:

Nah, the mistake in the fist goal was obviously very bad and unfortunately changed the game entirely. It happens and he owned up to it big time in the after-match interview. He also was decent to good the rest of the game. The overreactions , toldyousos and Iknewallalongs are unbearable though.

MegadrivePerson

This is from The Athletic showing that he was the best keeper in last season's champions league when preventing goal scoring opportunities compared to their xG value.

Like the Italians say, it rains on the wet and right now this club is wetter than a One Direction concert.
This was on the back of Inter having an incredibly easy run to the final though. Simon Mignolet is third on that list and nobody would want him!

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
:lol: :lol: classic Caf, claiming Manchester United are fat and out of shape. According to the caf, current fat players in the squad : Shaw, Casemiro and now Onana has joined that fat squad too.
You just know that the fan pointing it out gets out of breath walking 2 yards to their fridge as well.

But essentially it's an idiotic comment, as these guys are in proper mint condition.

Aint gota Kalou

My summary:

He's the best keeper in the world with the ball

Made one shocking mistake, few of other times when he could've done better (Brighton - Pedro goal, Forest goal/penalty shout and arguably Arsenal though it's harsh).

He has made some good saves, including some last night and against Brighton.

Thought he would be more aggressive in coming off his line to sweep but maybe this is instruction.

Proactive at coming for crosses

Looks to have a great mentality.

Once we control games a bit better and become more solid, his positives will be more noticeable and there will be less focus on his weaknesses.

De Gea was basically terrible at most aspects of keeping towards the end of his time here, he's a big improvement anyways

Erictheking7

From the trawler in front of the seagulls.........
De Gea needed replacing due to his decline and high wages, that was obvious. I wasn't convinced when we bought Onana and even less convinced now.
There were other choices which in my opinion were a better fit for us. Costa being the stand out due to being a better all round keeper and shot stopper.
Onana, for me would look excellent in a team like City pretty much the same as Ederson does. Put Ederson in our nets and I think the result would be pretty much the same as Onana is now showing. We can't afford a luxury keeper right now, however good he is with the ball at his feet, we need one who uses his feet and sometimes hands to keep the ball out of the back of the net.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
You didn’t really buy Onnana on his goal keeping abilities you bought him for his abilities on the ball, I think once you have Varane back you will see a very different style of play.
Do you not think that that is somewhat of an error by ten Hag then? Buying a keeper for £50m who needs 30yr old injury prone Varane in front of him in order to play well? Varane might only be available for half of the matches this season.

I think the real answer to that question is that there’s no chance EtH would make that kind of call. He signs a keeper to play well all the time, not just when a certain centre-back is fit.

Dan_F

Everyone who’d watched him before knew that he had mistakes in him and he’s an average shot stopper. There was literally nothing to suggest this would be any different at United.

You have to hope those mistakes don’t happen at 0-0 against Bayern in the Champions League, but it did so the pressure is on now. Pressure is also on to improve the style of play and not face as many high quality shots, if the team can’t do that, Onana won’t succeed here.

Jordi Cruyff 99

He looks fat and out of shape to me. It’s hard to find a goalkeeper with his physique and it’s no surprise he doesn’t s seem to get down quick enough.

In reality we’re the same side as last season and under Ole and I cannot think of a worse goalie to have between the sticks playing our current style, especially with how open we are letting teams get chances.

The unfortunate thing is unlike outfield players you can’t have a gk who makes mistakes. If this continues it could be the worst signing of the ten hag era and that’s saying a lot. His mistakes will cost us games.
Fat and out of shape? No offence, but have you been around sport and exercise in your life? I only ask because anybody who has will be able to tell the difference between a guy who is fat and a guy who has a significant enough degree of muscle to give that impression to certain people. It's like people who have claimed Stanislas Wawrinka (tennis player) is fat, and when he takes his shirt off he has visible abdominals, and not 'flabs' either. Onana will never be David de Gea, but he's not remotely fat.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
Everyone who’d watched him before knew that he had mistakes in him and he’s an average shot stopper. There was literally nothing to suggest this would be any different at United.

You have to hope those mistakes don’t happen at 0-0 against Bayern in the Champions League, but it did so the pressure is on now. Pressure is also on to improve the style of play and not face as many high quality shots, if the team can’t do that, Onana won’t succeed here.
One of the things I find weird is that some who support his purchase rely on the fact that, like Loris Karius, Hugo Lloris etc, he helped get his team to a CL final. Not everyone does this but I always find it such a bizarre metric to use.

Wilt

He seems too theatrical. Nowhere near peak De Gea and also not as good as Romero.

Still early days. It is what it is and hopefully he’ll settle down.

MegadrivePerson

Is this a serious comment? How easy or difficult their run was has zero relevance to stats about how good their keeper was at stopping shots.
It does because it means that he wasn't facing elite attacking players in those fixtures.

I like Onana, and feel he needs to be given a lot more time, but those statistics aren't really a very good indicator of anything.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
It does because it means that he wasn't facing elite attacking players in those fixtures.

I like Onana, and feel he needs to be given a lot more time, but those statistics aren't really a very good indicator of anything.
They were in a group with Barca and Bayern.

I agree that those stats can be taken with a pinch of salt but only because of the small sample size. Whatever, they do show that letting in such a soft goal is out of character. What made the mistake so annoying was that he otherwise had a good game. None of his saves were very special but he dealt with crosses well and his distribution was good. Which is all the stuff we hoped he would do when we signed him. But ho hum, that's life as a keeper. One big mistake in 90 minutes and that's all anyone remembers. Play in midfield and you can make three or four horrible brainfarts and still come away with people saying you played well overall. And yes, I am a goalkeeper!

MegadrivePerson

I agree that those stats can be taken with a pinch of salt but only because of the small sample size. Whatever, they do show that letting in such a soft goal is out of character. What made the mistake so annoying was that he otherwise had a good game. None of his saves were very special but he dealt with crosses well and his distribution was good. Which is all the stuff we hoped he would do when we signed him. But ho hum, that's life as a keeper. One big mistake in 90 minutes and that's all anyone remembers. Play in midfield and you can make three or four horrible brainfarts and still come away with people saying you played well overall. And yes, I am a goalkeeper!
I completely agree.

If you take away the mistake he made yesterday he had a really solid game.

led_scholes

People are mentioning costa but wasn't costa the gk with the biggest blunder in the WC? Yes the first goal was 100% on him. But let's not crucify him yet.

Captmfla

Except for the first goal which is a mistake, the rest of them were pretty much impossible to stop so no questioning of Onana's abilities there.

He did made some superb saves later on!

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
I completely agree.

If you take away the mistake he made yesterday he had a really solid game.
The xGOT from Bayern was 3.48 according to Opta, so only conceded 0.52 goals more than expected based on the shot quality despite the howler.

acnumber9

He isn’t being judged by the same standards De Gea would’ve if people are saying he’d a good game but for one mistake. He was glued to his line for balls he could’ve came for, one terrible example in particular in the first half, came flapping at a couple of crosses, palmed a simple shot straight up in the air. That he got away with them was as much luck as anything else. De Gea would also be getting blamed for the organisation of the defence as well.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I'm not saying it's on but Inter's first CL game last season was a loss to Bayern. (It's On(ana).)

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I like that he's come out and owned his mistake.

IRN-BRUno

I haven't seen enough of him prior to joining but I'm assuming he's a better keeper than he's shown so far. Ajax and Inter aren't small clubs but this is still a step-up in terms of pressure and scrutiny so hopefully he'll settle down soon. On the plus side he does seem to have the character to deal with those mistakes and not let them affect his confidence too much.

norm87cro

I'm sorry but I don't buy the 'he's just joined' angle, I think that's more of an outfield player thing. Yes maybe we won't see the best of his much vaunted ability with his feet and playing out until he's fully settled. But the basics of shotstopping? How to handle a one on one as a goalkeeper? For me that's more instinctual whether you're doing it for a new team or playing a bit of 1 vs 1 down at the park.

The bounce on his arse when 1vs1 was the first sign of what I feared the most about him and the goal last night an obvious howler. That being said a lot of the other goals have gone in haven't exactly been amazing, unstoppable finishes.

When we concede so many clear chances during a match I'm not sure we can get away with having a GK who's so poor at keeping the ball out of net, regardless of what his short pass accuracy is. Even DDG when he joined and was blowing in the wind, his ability as a shot stopper was very clear from early days.

I was never convinced by this signing, particularly at the price point one year after he went there for free. I've seen absolutely nothing from him to suggest my preconceptions were wrong.
Rip on him all you want but surley even you are aware that the back 4 is rubbish?
He isn’t being judged by the same standards De Gea would’ve if people are saying he’d a good game but for one mistake. He was glued to his line for balls he could’ve came for, one terrible example in particular in the first half, came flapping at a couple of crosses, palmed a simple shot straight up in the air. That he got away with them was as much luck as anything else. De Gea would also be getting blamed for the organisation of the defence as well.
Yeah well DDG had numerous chances to improve during his 12 years spell at the club and was actually only world class at shot stopping while this guy hasnt really played that much in what can be considered the worst defence in our recent history.
Im not sayign he is better but at least give him a sample of games to judge him on