Onana has not worked out. We need a new keeper.

KeanoMagicHat

De Gea had a worse start I think I remember one game he was particularly crap that we won 3-2 where he let in two soft goals but we were a top team so we won anyway. That’s not happening with Onana where we’re not very good otherwise. The midfield has been fairly overrun, Varane and Shaw have been injured and Martinez has been fairly poor while Dalot and Lindelof aren’t up to it. Can’t just blame the keeper for that.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Thats a pointless stat without context.
Most stats are pointless without context - but I expect most people on a Manchester United forum will remmeber all 4 goals, and remember that a) they all involved pretty crap defending/team setup and b) Onana was hugely at fault for one, and could possibly have done better on another, though wasn't exactly at fault for it.

Jund

Early game. If, and that's a huge IF the team starts to play better later on in the season and he becomes the stand-out of bad performances, yeah, I'd consider his transfer a bad one.

I couldn't care less about his footwork, it's a nice plus to have, but in all fairness he's playing the only position that requires safe hands.

sebsheep

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
He’s should have done better on about 4 or 5 goals he’s conceded this season. Other top keepers might give you 1-2 a year.

Awonyi goal
Rice goal
Pedro goal
Sane goal
I’m 50/50 about putting Martinez own goal on here too

I think a few of us had reservations about his shot stopping when we signed and I’ve seen no where near enough of him on the ball to offset basic goal keeping ability
If he saves the Rice shot it's an exceptional save, belongs no where near a list of shots he should've done better with. I don't really think the Awoniyi one should be on their either tbh.

Bubba123

We've conceded 14 goals this season already. More than any other PL side

Eric_the_Red99

What would the reaction on here have been if one of the defenders last night had reacted to his mistake in the same way he reacted to Maguire's mistake?
And has he blasted any of his defenders for calamitous mistakes that led to goals (and there have clearly been a few so far this season) like he blasted Maguire for a relatively minor error in a pre-season friendly?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
If he saves the Rice shot it's an exceptional save, belongs no where near a list of shots he should've done better with. I don't really think the Awoniyi one should be on their either tbh.
I think a really elite keeper could potentially save the Rice goal, and actually Brighton's second goal (it wasn't in the corner) - I'm think De Gea when he was the best shot stopper in the world 6 years ago type of keeper - so in a sense you can't blame Onana for them, but then is it unreasonable to expect a Manchester United keeper to pull off those types of saves?

Chumpsbechumps

De Gea had a worse start I think I remember one game he was particularly crap that we won 3-2 where he let in two soft goals but we were a top team so we won anyway. That’s not happening with Onana where we’re not very good otherwise. The midfield has been fairly overrun, Varane and Shaw have been injured and Martinez has been fairly poor while Dalot and Lindelof aren’t up to it. Can’t just blame the keeper for that.
Vidic and Evra had a torrid first 6 months at United and that was a much more settled team.

This is a disjointed United, with injuries and off field issues causing all sorts of problems. We havent lost these games becasue of Onana, its played a role, but the whole team has contributed,

People need to calm the f**k down and show some patience FFS

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What would the reaction on here have been if one of the defenders last night had reacted to his mistake in the same way he reacted to Maguire's mistake?
Don't think giving a player a bollocking after a near-miss is quite the same as giving them a bollocking after they've fecked up and single-handedly caused an actual goal to be scored. Usually in the latter case the instinctive reaction is to encourage them so their head doesn't drop, whereas you don't need to do that to the same extent when they've gotten away with something.

The Urban Goose

The Caf's next scapegoat. One blunder. One. Don't forget it takes time to adapt to the Prem, even for keepers. Besides, where were you all when De Gea was stinking the place up since 2018?

Maybe if we had a midfield that actually tracked runners and didn't give people a free shot from 12-18 yards he'd have a chance.

Rista

I think it's fair enough that he needs to be given more games before being judged but was he ever very good for other teams? It seemed every compilation of him involved passing the ball to defenders rather than what's primary job of a goalkeeper. Surely at this level you need both and having a goalkeeper that isn't a great goalkeeper is the equivalent of having a hard working forward who doesn't score goals?

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Give me an example of a time where an outfield player berated a goalkeeper for conceding a soft goal?

Conversely goalkeepers are supposed to be shouting at defenders, it's part of the job description.

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
Most stats are pointless without context - but I expect most people on a Manchester United forum will remmeber all 4 goals, and remember that a) they all involved pretty crap defending/team setup and b) Onana was hugely at fault for one, and could possibly have done better on another, though wasn't exactly at fault for it.
not conceding goals isnt just on the keeper though?

Annihilate Now!

Scout
not conceding goals isnt just on the keeper though?
I mean I literally just said that? All 4 are a combination of crap defending and keeping - and I just think its mad that literally the first shot on our goal has ended up going in 4 times in a row.

Chairman Steve

DDG didn’t have a great start either. I don’t think his debut season was that great either from memory.

Not every player hits the ground running immediately but doesn’t mean they’re going to be bad long-term and then on the contrary there are players that are initially great but take a turn for the worse long term like Barthez.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel

This is from The Athletic showing that he was the best keeper in last season's champions league when preventing goal scoring opportunities compared to their xG value.

Like the Italians say, it rains on the wet and right now this club is wetter than a One Direction concert.

Hughes35

Its amazing he got to this age, playing for top clubs and significantly contributed to get to a CL final and nobody didnt notice?
Whatever you are doing for a living, if its not goalkeeping coaching, you wasting that talent.
Do you watch Onana and think he has textbook technique when shot stopping?

Also, just to say he looks unusual doesn't mean he still can't be effective. Watch Moneyball, basically the whole premise for what they did was sign players that looked unusual but had good stats...... Unfortunately for Onana, his stats at the moment are also terrible which brings his unusual technique firmly in to question.

KeanoMagicHat

I think it's fair enough that he needs to be given more games before being judged but was he ever very good for other teams? It seemed every compilation of him involved passing the ball to defenders rather than what's primary job of a goalkeeper. Surely at this level you need both and having a goalkeeper that isn't a great goalkeeper is the equivalent of having a hard working forward who doesn't score goals?
He was very good for both Ajax and Inter.

arnie_ni

This is from The Athletic showing that he was the best keeper in last season's champions league when preventing goal scoring opportunities compared to their xG value.

Like the Italians say, it rains on the wet and right now this club is wetter than a One Direction concert.
Would love to know how much of that was from sweeping and dealing with chances before they became chances because he's been clearly told to not sweep. There was at least twice last night I'd have been angry at ddg for not sweeping let alone onana.

Oranges038

The Caf's next scapegoat. One blunder. One. Don't forget it takes time to adapt to the Prem, even for keepers. Besides, where were you all when De Gea was stinking the place up since 2018?

Maybe if we had a midfield that actually tracked runners and didn't give people a free shot from 12-18 yards he'd have a chance.
They were saying he still makes saves no one else can make and kept harping on about stuff he did 5 years ago as justification for keeping him in another 200k per week long term deal.

Bobski

Against Arsenal and last night there have been glimpses of the tactical problems his comfort on the ball can cause, even to top teams. The fragility of the team has dulled the impact but he also needs pick up on his shot stopping.

El Jefe

He looks fat and out of shape to me. It’s hard to find a goalkeeper with his physique and it’s no surprise he doesn’t s seem to get down quick enough.

Unfortunately the writing was on the wall with this when it comes to his shot stopping. We all saw his videos of his saves at Inter last season and everyone commented on how poor his handling was and his ability to not keep hold of fairly routine shots. The hope was that we’d transform into a possession team and dominate so that this weakness would be mitigated.

In reality we’re the same side as last season and under Ole and I cannot think of a worse goalie to have between the sticks playing our current style, especially with how open we are letting teams get chances.

The unfortunate thing is unlike outfield players you can’t have a gk who makes mistakes. If this continues it could be the worst signing of the ten hag era and that’s saying a lot. His mistakes will cost us games.

Last edited:

Hal9000

Remember De Geas first season? I do. Teams kept lobbing balls in from deep and taking long shots cause of his errors and everybody thought Lindegaard should be number 1 instead.

Good times.

Smores

Now do the league which is a better subset of data. If we ring fence only a single competition then Lingard becomes a hell of a player

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
A bit less skilled than Dave between the posts, but much better all around keeper. The problem is we aren't playing a high line where his qualities would shine and we could see less of his small faults on handling skill.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

He finds himself in the unfortunate position where he's taking hits from the De Gea fanboys as well as from the people would grab any single opportunity to pile on ETH because they want him gone. Let's not forget, this is the forum where Martial still has people defending him.

Matt851

I said it last year, the goalkeepers position is a Pandora's box. If you feck it, you'll be in the market every single year until you manage to stop the bleeding.

Don't feck around with it, unless you really have to. And knowing us, we'll take at least 5 attempts to get it right - so that's goodbye to at least £40m of your budget going forward now every summer.
We were right to get rid of de gea but could have gone for raya at a much lower price

Betson

He has not been good , he has admitted that himself. But DeGea had a very shaky start to life here as well before giving us a few great years in his prime.

You would hope Onana will settle as well , but he is coming into the team at a much more unsettled time than Degea did and patience right now is wearing thin with everyone while the club continues to under-perform all round.