Falling out of love with football (warning - miserable moaning post)

el3mel

I watch the football, and that's kind of it. Other than that, I have 0 interest in what happens at United or at any club. The game and our lives have turned into social media whoring and I don't and won't ever like that till the day I die.

Just looking at the Rashford situation, trying to console Elanga on fecking twitter. It's disgusting how people turn to cheap whores for money and social media attention they get from a post.

Other than the above, I'm also kind of baffled on why people(fans, players, media, etc) try to paint football players like some fecking role models/important/special people, when, mostly, other than playing footie and making a shit load of money, they're below average blokes with minimal education and, most likely, dumber than a second coat of paint. To see them as an example for kids, to me, is disgusting.

Football is a business and, like any other, there's gonna be some degree of corruption, especially when you also get governments involved. I don't mind it because I don't care about it in general. Corruption doesn't affect you if you work hard and you achieve your goals.

In short, I don't give a feck about players, clubs, managers, agents, fans, stadiums, Arabs buying clubs, transfer fees and shit like that. I only fell in love with the game played on the field, the actual fecking football. I never gave a shit about shirts, boots, players or any other stuff that comes with football. I don't even like going to games to be honest, or if I go, I go with headphones as I can't fecking bare everyone shouting the whole game "you're fecking shit mate" and many other useless curse words that have no meaning or impact on the actual game. I'm actually amazed how stupid a man can turn into when going to a football match, it's amazing.
Great post that one, especially the point about players becoming role models.

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
What a bunch of whingeing gloryhunting wankers! :D ;)
( Only joking, I don’t think any of you are gloryhunters….. )
I think in this day and age there is a risk of saturation with wall to wall coverage everyday, which can get very boring.
I look for Utd news, I watch every United game I can, but beyond that I don’t pay too much attention because I’m not interested. I guess in that way I distance myself from it.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
Just wondered if its just me that's felt like this over the course of this season and probably the last couple of seasons.

United have been shite for ages but I've usually still enjoyed watching the season overall and title race, etc. regardless of what United were involved in. This year I just can't bring myself to care and haven't really enjoyed the games I have watched. I felt similar last season but put it down to covid and the lack of fans at the time and ended up laregely giving it a miss save most United games. This season if anything I've been even less interested and have stopped really being that fussed even with United games.

I don't think it comes down to one thing as more a general frustration at all the nonsense that seems to surround everything now. The officiating is so bad its damaging the integrity of games and ruins at least half the games I watch on its own. The league just seems like it has no integrity at all in general to me with financial rules applying to some and not others, some teams allowed to just invent covid cases or use injuries as an excuse to cancel games while others are forced to play them. Teams going bust while others spend £100m on players they don't even need. Players in general just seeming less relatable and likeable. Bore offs like Kane just casually refusing to play or train because they don't get their way and then as a direct result being shite nearly all season long, but still referred to as "model professionals"...despite behaving in a way that would get you sacked from working at ASDA. Staggering amounts of whining about covid, fixture schedules etc. On top of that the Greenwood thing which is horrid just to think about, and the thought I can't get away from that clubs probably try to cover stuff like this up and the only reason that isn't what happened is because it was put on social media. I've enjoyed the Champions League still mostly, but then they literally tried to fix the draw for that on live international television so its hard to take it entirely seriously. The super league thing. Trying to furlough staff during covid. Trying to charge people £15 to watch games like Burnley vs Sheffield Utd during a pandemic. Holding a world cup in the middle of a season in a bunch of stadiums built by what are basically terribly treated slaves, because money innit. Listening to idiots like Klopp talk moral shite before willingly taking his team to go play a game in one of said stadiums without a word of objection.

I think its all taken its toll on my ability to invest in any of it. I find it really refreshing watching other sports because they don't seem to be nearly as poisoned by nonsense or weak whining, hypocrit mentalities as football is. The closest comparison I can think of that I've seen over the course of the season was the magically changing race rules in the last Formula 1 race, but if you had Premier League officiating in F1 that would just be standard every week, and you'd have things like the person who finished 5th being awared 1st by VAR, or Hamilton being allowed to just reverse backwards and forwards over the line for each lap instead of actually driving round the track, and then shouting in the face of the race officials when he manages to only finish 3rd after winning 12 races in a row. No other sport is nearly such a fecking mess of dislikeable rubbish.

To be honest this is prompted a bit by still being angry at the ridiculous handball decision yesterday, but that just felt like the last straw even at the time when the game was still going on. I was thinking just after, this is the first time I've been genuinely annoyed or invested in a game in months, and rather than being because of football its because of yet another piece of complete nonsense that has nothing to do with competitive sport, and just would never be allowed to happen in most other sports at that level...and yet probably wouldn't even be in the top 5 biggest nonsense decisions that have ruined games I've watched this season. And this is then followed by the now familiar thought of "why am I wasting my time with this again"?
You’re not alone pal, I feel pretty similar

Yagami

Good post resistant
Nothing against anyone that feels this way, but it seems like there's a thread expressing this feeling fairly often in recent years. I wonder if there was ever a thread like this made before 2013?

DRJosh

Supports
United minus the Glazers
I've started to invest less emotional energy in United. Instead I try and appreciate football for what it is (on the pitch) - admiring the positives of the game and if there are none, I focus on matches that do, like Nottingham Forest's recent FA Cup victory.

Whilst I do get disappointed after we loose, it hurts a lot less.

Detachment (or measured attachment) is the only way to being a United fan these days.

PSV

I think fans will realize as time goes on that they were tunneling the financial aspect of the Super League too hard to realize the potential for change it brought with it.

This was a chance to remedy some of the devolving aspects of football. A breakaway from FIFA/UEFA needs to happen so we can fix both the rules and the officiating.

binary bot
I realised this when Ronaldo signed and I couldn't give a shit.

AFC NimbleThumb

That Zouma video has me pretty close to the edge at this point.

On the larger discussion topic though, I saw a video about the brands people align themselves with & what they believe they say about them, I wear Nike recreationaly for example & they broke down why I likely do so. Now I’m sure that multiple posters have family ties or did just so happen coincidentally turn on their tv & happen upon a match where [at the time] serial winners Manchester United were playing & I don’t know anyone in here personally enough to comment on their reasons but I do believe a certain section of the fanbase have only really know United as winners & their identity as a fan was aligned with that, we all partake in football ‘banter’/discussion & for a time as a United fan that was a totally different experience so I think some of the love people have lost may be due to our success.

I personally, got a job in retail years ago which meant I often worked weekends & going out in the evenings meant I didn’t watch us like I used to. I also lost my link to OT tickets which didn’t help as they’re a ridiculous expense on my then retail wage. Latterly I’ve been to some games & found the experience a bit of a chore. I also joined this forum when lockdown kicked off thinking I’d find likeminded United supporters only to find how divisive things had gotten & how different my views on club matters [& cultural ones] are to fellow supporters. Supporting United was much more fun when I played Championship Manager & signed Kim Kallstrom.

Footballers being outed as overgrown children every week is also boiling my piss with it.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
There’s a lot of people who talk about United being shit prompting stuff like this but in reality surely there’s more to football than your own team and if you enjoyed the sport as a whole you would probably enjoy watching good teams play.
I love the NFL for example and even though my own NFL team is pretty bad but every weekend I manage to enjoy all the games & even consume other content during the week but with football I personally am struggling to do that. I can’t listen to podcasts or watch analysis shows when they are discussing non United stuff. Yeah if two big teams were playing I might have it on if I had nothing else to do but before the weekend starts I am not like looking forward to watch Liverpool play Chelsea. Maybe it’s just me but that just shows me that I have very little love for the sport in itself and the only attachment I have left is with United

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
I reckon a lot of the posters here would enjoy going to the lower leagues (League One and below) or Conference games based on their statements and experiences (or lack thereof)

They need your support and money as well. Worth a shot? The lower you go, the more pure it tends to be.

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
TBH I hate this type of whine posts.

You don't like "modern football", stop watching it. Stop coming to forums like this to complain about it and stop supporting Manchester United - a club that plays in the richest, wealthiest, more prestigious and highest competent league in world football... Stop buying FIFA, stop buying football shirts, stop watching sports media that talk about football.

I don't see you nor any of the supposed lovers of old football supporting small teams from lower leagues. I don't see any of you planning a boycott into the next WC which is 100% corrupt. I don't see anybody making protest against the ticket prices or to request stringent laws into Financial Reports from Clubs. Much to the contrary, the fans of Newcastle were eager to let themselves be bought by a corrupt journalist killer country.

I understand that many things in football are not OK, and I concur, but being romantic about it and not moving a finger is absurd. I know somebody will read this and reply "we can't move a finger because clubs are not our property", well, then you're giving me the reason more than before, because if something's out of your control then what's the point of complaining in the first place? What are you doing whining on something you can't change? Football is a business, stop complicating it.

Even with all the BS surrounding football I still enjoy it and will keep enjoying it because I love it.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
TBH I hate this type of whine posts.

You don't like "modern football", stop watching it. Stop coming to forums like this to complain about it and stop supporting Manchester United - a club that plays in the richest, wealthiest, more prestigious and highest competent league in world football... Stop buying FIFA, stop buying football shirts, stop watching sports media that talk about football.

I don't see you nor any of the supposed lovers of old football supporting small teams from lower leagues. I don't see any of you planning a boycott into the next WC which is 100% corrupt. I don't see anybody making protest against the ticket prices or to request stringent laws into Financial Reports from Clubs. Much to the contrary, the fans of Newcastle were eager to let themselves be bought by a corrupt journalist killer country.

I understand that many things in football are not OK, and I concur, but being romantic about it and not moving a finger is absurd. I know somebody will read this and reply "we can't move a finger because clubs are not our property", well, then you're giving me the reason more than before, because if something's out of your control then what's the point of complaining in the first place? What are you doing whining on something you can't change? Football is a business, stop complicating it.

Even with all the BS surrounding football I still enjoy it and will keep enjoying it because I love it.

But that’s what most people are saying in this thread that they are watching much less football now and they are spending lesser on the stuff related to football. It’s a discussion about football so obviously they are going to do it on a football forum. Strange rant

Charrockero

Supports
Chivas de Guadalajara
But that’s what most people are saying in this thread that they are watching much less football now and they are spending lesser on the stuff related to football. It’s a discussion about football so obviously they are going to do it on a football forum. Strange rant
That's fine but our opinion's do not match the reality of numbers. The people that write and post in this football forum is just a small percentage compared to the whole footballing world.

And yes, probably the majority of football fans feel this way, but they still go to matches and consume everything related to football. That's contradictive. When somebody says something and does otherwise, always bear more importance into actions.

Normandy

Supports
Montreal Impact
That's fine but our opinion's do not match the reality of numbers. The people that write and post in this football forum is just a small percentage compared to the whole footballing world.

And yes, probably the majority of football fans feel this way, but they still go to matches and consume everything related to football. That's contradictive. When somebody says something and does otherwise, always bear more importance into actions.
Think you are comparing anecdotes with stats. I don't think many, if any, in this thread are saying their experiences are the objective truth.

manutddjw

It might just be the Premier League. I love United and watch every game and that hasn’t changed despite our hardships and disappointments. What has changed has been my interest in the league as a whole. I used to watch every game but I’m finding it less enjoyable to watch other teams. I find games to be cagey affairs and nearly every game we’re talking about the refs.

My love of football is still there. I watched a few Serie A games and the Barcelona vs Atletico games at the weekend and it was so much more enjoyable. I also loved the Euros last summer.

It’s ironic because this should be the premier leagues finest hour with so many competitive teams and most teams having quality players but it’s had the opposite effects. I just don’t see the end to end, intense premier league football I grew up on. It’s all about possession and sitting back and it’s not exciting at all.

bringbackbebe

I think what is hurting supporters more is the fact that United either have no long term plan on how we intend to get back to winning ways, or that plan isn't being properly communicated. Bringing in an interim manager didn't help either. I still think there's a lot of room to get worse before things start getting better.

Himannv

It’s strange but I enjoy football (particularly games featuring United) as much as I used to. There were games where we were beyond awful and some days have been pretty dull or difficult to watch, but on the whole the experience resembles a wave with high points and low. I can understand the Boro game being frustrating due to rubbish officiating, but I think we did play well and there are positive signs despite the result.

I agree about the games being less interesting from a neutral standpoint though- there were times I’d happily watch other teams but have no time for them now although I don’t think VAR or corruption have much to do with it.

My main problem is the lack of time due to other commitments and weekday games start too late for me where I’m from. I might just pass out before they start at 2 am or whatever even though I sit up to try and catch them.

Womp

idiot
It comes and goes in waves for me. There's times when I'm really involved, loving every minute, but there are times when I just get burnt out or the issues at the club both internally and externally become too much so I zone out, catch games if I can, employ a more passive approach.

We have been shite for a while now and it seems some of the players at the club seem to be very hard to associate with - I think that's part of the problem too

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I have stopped watching. Didnt even know that we lost to Boro before my friends sent me memes. Hardly felt anything. I couldn't give a feck because it was hardly a surprise. Don't care what top reds on here say really. I watch it for entertainment and when the team I support serve in dreadful performances for 9 consecutive years then its time to move on. Nothing good is gonna happen with this club for a good while now given the incompetent owners and the board members.

I try to watch other teams play and all the time in my head I keep asking questions like "why tf can't utd play like this week in week out?" and that thought doesn't let me enjoy football at all.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
I think what is hurting supporters more is the fact that United either have no long term plan on how we intend to get back to winning ways, or that plan isn't being properly communicated. Bringing in an interim manager didn't help either. I still think there's a lot of room to get worse before things start getting better.
It has been very well communicated through last 9 years that there is no plan. I will give that one to the board.

kthanksbye

Football has changed though, successful teams are mechanical now a days, it's a choreographed performance more than anything else, it has become about making fewer mistakes now more than ever, all well and good if you want to admire the tactical and technical aspect of the game, but very few players and teams make you sit at the edge of the seat now as an average viewer, the stories outside the pitch dominate the news more, who is approving transfers, who is the CEO and who is the technical director, who is the DoF.
Then after sitting through all of that, you don't even get to celebrate a goal ffs, I've stopped celebrating goals, I wait for the other team to KO before I do that, or sit through 6 mins of VAR trying to confirm if it's a goal or not. It really does kill the joy.
Add to that most of us are older now with different priorities, then there's the pandemic, even if the last two years have not been difficult for you personally, the entire thing has taken it's toll on most of us.

The Boy

Supports
Brighton and Hove Albion
I ain't reading all that.

When you're good again you'll feel different.
This basically .... I understand all the gripes in the OP and agree with most, especially some of the decisions, the Qatar World Cup etc.

But and it's a big but, Brighton have never been better than they are now, so all that aside I am definitely enjoying my football, even if I disagree with much of what goes on.

Maybe try a spell of following a club in league one or two, things are very different down there and it's much easier to watch live.

Piratesoup

Supports
Bayern München
I feel like this with regards to the entire world. The joy is being sucked out of everything. And I don't think there's any way back.

Corridor of Uncertainty

I don't think I can remember a time when I've cared less about football.

Putting things like VAR, money etc to one side, players nowadays seem far more dislikeable than they did 15 or 20 years ago. Maybe they've always been the same, but we're only now seeing it under the microscope of social media.

With both the Greenwood and Zouma incidents within the last few days, I can't bring myself to celebrate or cheer people who turn out to be the lowest of the low. And I know it's not everyone in football, but goodness knows just how many other cnuts there are out there.

Cloud7

Nothing against anyone that feels this way, but it seems like there's a thread expressing this feeling fairly often in recent years. I wonder if there was ever a thread like this made before 2013?
To be fair footballers as characters, in terms of what we know/see about them, and the narratives around football, have all become exponentially more nauseating in the last 6-7 years or so. Luke Shaw promoting NFT's of himself while playing like a secondary school level footballer would be annoying whether we won the league last season or came tenth. Same with the Greenwood stuff, Zouma kicking his cat, Overmars sending dick pics to his employees, etc. The internet, social media and in many cases the players themselves have pulled the curtain and revealed that there are a lot of detestable characters around the top level of football.

That isn't to say that people like that don't exist everywhere else in the world, but football is meant to be an escape from the perils of real life. When real life touches what is supposed to be your escape in ways like that, you can't help but feel distant from it all.

Tom Van Persie

No relation
There’s a lot of people who talk about United being shit prompting stuff like this but in reality surely there’s more to football than your own team and if you enjoyed the sport as a whole you would probably enjoy watching good teams play.
I love the NFL for example and even though my own NFL team is pretty bad but every weekend I manage to enjoy all the games & even consume other content during the week but with football I personally am struggling to do that. I can’t listen to podcasts or watch analysis shows when they are discussing non United stuff. Yeah if two big teams were playing I might have it on if I had nothing else to do but before the weekend starts I am not like looking forward to watch Liverpool play Chelsea. Maybe it’s just me but that just shows me that I have very little love for the sport in itself and the only attachment I have left is with United
In the exact same boat!

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Haven't watched a single game this season outside of the United ones, and they've been a hard watch in themselves. Maybe the champions league will tempt me or I'll come back around to it once the weather gets too rubbish to do anything else, but its become so uninteresting and almost artificial. A couple of things I think contribute.

There's no real flair players or teams anymore. Players like Okocha, Zola, Di Canio, etc. Now everyone's super fast and strong but how good a player is considered seems to be largely down to how functional they are. The closest you get to anything unique is Harry Maguire rugby tackling his own team mates, or Haaland scoring the same goals everyone else occasionally does, but all the time. A lot of games are almost clones of one another. Two teams deploying the same pressing tactics, then every 3 minutes someone pretends to be hurt so they can all have a break.

Also I used to dislike players and teams for being disgusting cheats. Arsenal and Chelsea used to evoke genuine hatred. The same with players like Vieira, Drogba etc. Now every team and every player cheats so its impossible to be anything other than numb to it. Instead my specific dislike of players seems to end up being based more on whether they abuse women, kick helpless animals, etc. Or get picked for England instead of people who are better than them. These aren't things that make me want to watch them more to enjoy them losing. They just make me not want to watch them at all. Where as my dislike of specific teams is based purely on whether they are Liverpool or not, which I can't pin on anything other than finding their fans and media coverage around them a bit much.

The added time idea I think is a good one to combat the games being reduced to spending 90 minutes watching footballers do everything they can to get out of playing football, but then players are so dumb they still do this anyway. Then the managers complain about the added time even though its only added on due to players wasting too much time not playing football during the game. These people are completely lost on the concept of being paid loads because people pay to watch them play football, not sit on the floor holding a game of football hostage.

Anyway yeah. Mainly just wanted to gauge if it was just me that's had a marked drop in interest this season.

JB7

Of course there wasn't. I'd love to see some of these people forced to watch non-league clubs for a few years. It really gives some perspective.

Judas

Open to offers
It’s a watered down and robotic sport, in this country at least. It’s almost too professional and measured for its own good. Even the obsession with stats now leaves me very cold.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
What makes me question it all is Marcus Rashford buying a third rolls royce for half a million. Thats where my sky sports fee is going.

NoLogo

Anyway yeah. Mainly just wanted to gauge if it was just me that's had a marked drop in interest this season.
Not just you, I used to watch so much football outside of United, barely do these days and I only pay half attention to United games any more either. Haven't watched any of our games in a pub for years, which I used to do quite regularly only 3–4 years ago, especially on evenings where we played CL. Even with my home town club that is back in the first league I can't really be bothered, maybe I'm just old and jaded, but football doesn't really manage to hold my interest for too long any more. I watch more TIFO InRealLife videos than actual football these days, that's about all the football I can stomach outside of Manchester United games.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
It’s a watered down and robotic sport, in this country at least. It’s almost too professional and measured for its own good. Even the obsession with stats now leaves me very cold.
I rewatched extended highlights of the Euro 04 the other day. Seeing Zidane, Henry and a teenage Rooney etc play again reminded me why I loved football and really illuminated just how boring and robotic the game has become today.

This bit by @noodlehair is absolutely spot on.

There's no real flair players or teams anymore. Players like Okocha, Zola, Di Canio, etc. Now everyone's super fast and strong but how good a player is considered seems to be largely down to how functional they are. The closest you get to anything unique is Harry Maguire rugby tackling his own team mates, or Haaland scoring the same goals everyone else occasionally does, but all the time. A lot of games are almost clones of one another. Two teams deploying the same pressing tactics, then every 3 minutes someone pretends to be hurt so they can all have a break.

Last edited:

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I don't remember many Everton games of the last few seasons that I have enjoyed and it's one of the most unlikeable teams we have had but I don't mind that. I take Everton for what they are now. I get enjoyment from football in other ways now by watching live lower league games. Try to get to one every few weeks and it's much more fun when you either support as a neutral or start to get behind a teams journey to try and get to the top rather than a club in complete disarray.

Drizzle

I have a few Liverpool supporting friends. By 2015 they had lost the love of the game, detached from football, barely followed what was going on in the league.

Miraculously, their passion for the game returned once they became good again. Now they're the ones who are watching Forest v Burnley on Monday nights while I'm actively avoiding football for long periods as it's causing me nothing but pain and anger.