Television Fallout TV Series

nimic

something nice
Scout
I'm not sure I like that it's releasing all at once. There's no way I'll be able to keep myself from binging it in two or three sittings (depending on how many episodes there are). I thought we'd reached a happy medium where the first 3-ish episodes are released at once, and then either 1 or 2 together after that.

sepulturite

I'm not sure I like that it's releasing all at once. There's no way I'll be able to keep myself from binging it in two or three sittings (depending on how many episodes there are). I thought we'd reached a happy medium where the first 3-ish episodes are released at once, and then either 1 or 2 together after that.
Yeh it's surprising they're doing it this way, when I first heard they were doing that I thought it was because it was going to be crap, but it turns out it might actually be brilliant going by the reviews so far. I'm glad to be honest, because I'm not a fan of the week to week thing anymore to be honest.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Yeh it's surprising they're doing it this way, when I first heard they were doing that I thought it was because it was going to be crap, but it turns out it might actually be brilliant going by the reviews so far. I'm glad to be honest, because I'm not a fan of the week to week thing anymore to be honest.
The week to week thing is essential for TV series that lend themselves to viewer theorizing and discussion, IMO. It definitely works best with skilled creators that leave appropriate clues to be picked up. Obviously the ultimate example is Lost, though also obviously all the theorizing didn't actually amount to that much in the end. But I really enjoyed following the discourse around Severance episode to episode, and the same with Fargo. And also True Detective until it turned out to be shit.

Another older example I just thought of is Battlestar Galactica. It was excruciating to wait for new episodes (and then wait for our shitty internet to download them), but I really liked the community around it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Another older example I just thought of is Battlestar Galactica. It was excruciating to wait for new episodes (and then wait for our shitty internet to download them), but I really liked the community around it.
Even worse when the writing strikes hit and the wait was even longer! I loved analysing Lost in the smallest detail early on before I came to the conclusion that they had no idea what the feck was going on themselves. :lol:

nimic

something nice
Scout
Even worse when the writing strikes hit and the wait was even longer! I loved analysing Lost in the smallest detail early on before I came to the conclusion that they had no idea what the feck was going on themselves. :lol:
Do you remember the detailed analysis that was done with the whispers in the forest or whatever? Or the ancient statues? Or the...

Dan

Got suckered in with them saying they are releasing it a day early, then realised it’s US only. :(

sepulturite

Got suckered in with them saying they are releasing it a day early, then realised it’s US only. :(
Well it's available at 2am later on tonight/in the morning, so I dunno if that's earlier than planned but it's not that far away at all.

Fully Fledged

Well it's available at 2am later on tonight/in the morning, so I dunno if that's earlier than planned but it's not that far away at all.
It is earlier than planned. It was going to be 2am Saturday morning originally.
Tomorrow for me sadly, as I am neither unemployed or a student :(
Yeah me too. I don't work Fridays though so will be able to binge it Thursday night and Friday.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I hate that I have to avoid threads like this and other talk about a series until I've watched it all.

nimic

something nice
Scout
I hate that I have to avoid threads like this and other talk about a series until I've watched it all.
Yeah that too. I won't watch it all at once (nor do I want to), so I can't discuss the amazing thing that happens in episode 4 (or whatever), because people in here will have seen what happens in episode 5 that makes my point moot anyway.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Watching episode 1 now. Feels very much like the games.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
The week to week thing is essential for TV series that lend themselves to viewer theorizing and discussion, IMO. It definitely works best with skilled creators that leave appropriate clues to be picked up. Obviously the ultimate example is Lost, though also obviously all the theorizing didn't actually amount to that much in the end. But I really enjoyed following the discourse around Severance episode to episode, and the same with Fargo. And also True Detective until it turned out to be shit.

Dunno about community but I really enjoyed listening to a podcast about each episode of The Last of Us before watching the next one. Same thing with Chernobyl.

nimic

something nice
Scout
Dunno about community but I really enjoyed listening to a podcast about each episode of The Last of Us before watching the next one. Same thing with Chernobyl.
Same. I also did for Severance, Watchmen, The Plot Against America and a few others. Most prestige HBO shows lately have had one, and I think the trend may have started with Chernobyl. Craig Mazin (the director) was on it, and he hosted the podcast for Watchmen when that came out.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Same. I also did for Severance, Watchmen, The Plot Against America and a few others. Most prestige HBO shows lately have had one, and I think the trend may have started with Chernobyl. Craig Mazin (the director) was on it, and he hosted the podcast for Watchmen when that came out.
Ah. Of course. Didn’t think about the HBO connection.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Oh my God this has been brilliant so far. Yes I will obviously be biased but the first two episodes, especially the first, mint. Will get the rest binged over the next day or so. So happy there is a Fallout series and that it has been handled carefully and respectfully. Love it.

Widow

Aaron Clifton Moten does that same look that Denzel Washington does, I had to Google if they where related. I haven't seen him before but he's playing the role well.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
It's good so far, just don't overpower the main character in first season too much, and it has potential to be something.

mu4c_20le

I'm still on the third episode and heard it gets even better. The only thing is that I wish they spent a few more episodes or even the entire first season just showing life in the vault, like Westworld's excellent s1 just building up the world. Feels like maybe they weren't certain how the show would be received so they just jumped right into the Wasteland.

Writing has been on point though.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
I'm on episode 5 now. Everything down to the computers and little details are spot on.

Big Andy

Bloke

One of the more recent instances of this is "From" which was weekly releases and also had mystery and loads of questions, etc, was the same bloke who did Lost as well by all accounts, so hopefully they won't make the same mistakes they made 20 years ago.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Absolutely! I remember this was one of the first shows that had a companion, offical, podcast. It was essentially Ronald Moore drinking scotch and smoking cigars while watching each episode, but it was an essential part of my viewing experience for that show.

Right now the show that is absolutely leveraging the slow burn is Shogun.

Igor Drefljak

Definitely Russian
Just finished episode 5, will crack on with the rest after some food.

As one poster above said, I also was curious if Maximus was Denzels kid :lol:

Really enjoying it so far. For somebody who absolutely loves the games, collects all the merch and recently bought into the MTG cards, I'm actually super duper happy they're hitting all the little things so well

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Sounds promising according to you fine folks. Will be watching this over the weekend hopefully

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Looks like Fallout 4 is getting an update as well near the end of this month on PC. Including a new quest centred around the Enclave. Will be handy because after watching this show I'll inevitably go on a FO Replay adventure.

sepulturite

Just finished the whole thing, it was absolutely brilliant. The story is fantastic, really well done and thought out.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Great start for me made me want to play fallout 3 again (yes 3, didn't really get on with 4)

Swedish_Plumber

I’ve never played the games and am really liking it. Seen a lot of game die-hards shitting on it for not being in their image. Never really understood why you’d want to watch something that’s exactly the same as something you’ve already read/played.