Fans planning Old Trafford walkout

RedNed77

It’s the 1st of Feb and the end of dry jan, it’s just an excuse for us all to get back on the piss earlier than usual. I’ve not waited all month to be drinking fecking Heineken.

Judas

Open to offers
Snowflake mentality if you think there’s anything wrong with the 58th minute. It’s not a gimmick, it’s a powerful symbol that the club we have right now isn’t what it’s supposed to be. The players who died on that horrible day would be sickened by the current regime, they’d support this as well.
Did you have to sink to the level of using that laughable phrase?

ZupZup

58th minute during the closest match to the anniversary of Munich? A match that is always used for commemoration?

They can feck right off. I’ll be staying put and supporting the team... idiots.

Alabaster Codify7

Do I detect a subtle hint of sarcasm?

Nah, not at all. Just infuriates me when fans deride other fans for actually wanting to try and do something about this bullshit the club is pulling, however futile it may be. I'm not a regular match-goer, but I applaud those fans that are willing to at least be SEEN to be unhappy about this nonsense. Then you get other fans almost mocking them for showing something resembling a spine.

clarkydaz

58th minute during the closest match to the anniversary of Munich? A match that is always used for commemoration?

This is why I question Who is behind it, just announced in the mirror while no fans seemed to be aware of it.

Dozer

Agreed.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
And there's a goal scored, you instinctively try to see who it was, it might be Lingard, you wouldn't want to miss being part of that ....

Stupid idea so early in the game, why not have a synchronized strip in the 69th minute, gerrum off, that would get all the attention you want. And a little bit more.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
The ‘58th minute’ idea is septic.

If you want to draw parallels with previous demise in the club’s history, maybe use the 74th minute in reference to our last relegation (1974). At least that analogy makes some semblance of sense and indicates where these parasitic Glazers are taking us.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
A walkout will get a lot of media attention which is good. Referencing 58 is unnecessary though, especially considering it’s close to February 5th.

redflash

As a match going fan I've always though it would be more effective to boycott the start. Like dont go in until 20 minutes into the game. Especially for a televised game as it would make a huge statement prior to the game that presenters and pundits would pick up on....

...however in most of these cases youd get no joy as at best you'll get a couple hundred people doing it.

Pav1878

I see it as a tribute to those that perished in Munich.

Some of these players are not fit to lace the boots of some of the greats we lost

Duncan Edwards, Eddie Colman, Liam Whelan, David Pegg, Mark Jones, Geoff Bent, Tommy Taylor, and team captain Roger Byrne

Proper footballers.

A penny for the thoughts of Sir Matt and Jimmy Murphy.

Woodward out

Glazers out.

These two not fit to be mentioned in the same paragraph as Sir Matt Busby and Jimmy Murphy,

RIP
This. 58th minute is a tribute. It's close to the Munich anniversary too, what's the problem?

Port Vale Devil

Supports
Port Vale
Should be done when Lingard and Shaw are brought on at 60 minutes to chase the game. The earlier it is, the more poignant it will look but fair play as the only people who can change the current state is the fans.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So why don't they all just pack it in, then? Give up. Stop attending, let the club just slowly dissolve into nothingness. Ole at the wheel in 2025, United 7th in the Championship, 70,000 sheep still spending £110 every year on a red shirt that looks exactly the same as the red shirt they bought 12months earlier - except instead of Skoda it has Lidl as the main sponsor, and it's made by Asics. 70,000 people still chanting 'Five Cantonas' around 30yrs after the bloke last kicked a ball for us. 70,000 people renewing season tickets to watch Jesse Lingard (c), a 34yr old man, who hasn't scored in 4 seasons, dabbing and moonwalking having had a deflected shot trickle into the bottom corner against Brentford away.

Yep, don't bother lads. Just strap in and enjoy the ride.
Because, there is no divine right to win trophies. You support your team through thick and thin.

We had a great 20 year spell. We had a great time under Busby. But in between we've had loads of average seasons.
We're having average seasons now - we're still 5th in the league in a season we're considering a disaster!

We've made a lot of mistakes, but most clubs have. We've spent more than anyone in the Premier league apart from City in the last however many years.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Fecking ridiculous. If you don’t want to support the team, stay home. Walking out in the 58th minute of what will already be a tough game against Wolves and will hand them the advantage on the field.

The reality is, as dire as things are, we are still very much chasing targets on the field, and the last thing the players need is a situation where they are terrified of playing in front of their own fans. We’re 5th and in the EL. Can’t expect the players to keep going for us if the fans have chucked it in for the season on them.

I’m not saying the fans don’t have valid concern, but it’s just the manner that I don’t agree with. If something happened like this against Cardiff last season when the season was done, fair enough. But we’re just getting to the business end of the season and the fans are planning to desert the team when they need them most.

Anyway, I imagine this current generation will shut up if only they get some sort of new puppy in the transfer market. Sign Bruno Fernandes and they’ll be too busy YouTubing to plan a protest.

Alabaster Codify7

Because, there is no divine right to win trophies. You support your team through thick and thin.

We had a great 20 year spell. We had a great time under Busby. But in between we've had loads of average seasons.
We're having average seasons now - we're still 5th in the league in a season we're considering a disaster!

We've made a lot of mistakes, but most clubs have. We've spent more than anyone in the Premier league apart from City in the last however many years.

For now, this will continue to spiral, we are not finishing above 8th and that is dreadful mate for a club the size of ours that has spent as much as we have. It isn't about winning trophies mate, it's about everything that is going on that is preventing us from competing.

Alabaster Codify7

Fecking ridiculous. If you don’t want to support the team, stay home. Walking out in the 58th minute of what will already be a tough game against Wolves and will hand them the advantage on the field.

The reality is, as dire as things are, we are still very much chasing targets on the field, and the last thing the players need is a situation where they are terrified of playing in front of their own fans. We’re 5th and in the EL. Can’t expect the players to keep going for us if the fans have chucked it in for the season on them.

I’m not saying the fans don’t have valid concern, but it’s just the manner that I don’t agree with. If something happened like this against Cardiff last season when the season was done, fair enough. But we’re just getting to the business end of the season and the fans are planning to desert the team when they need them most.

Anyway, I imagine this current generation will shut up if only they get some sort of new puppy in the transfer market. Sign Bruno Fernandes and they’ll be too busy YouTubing to plan a protest.

That's the thing with all these bloody new youngsters isn't it. Too busy Youtubing, Tweeting, twerking and vaping!

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
Again, make sure there's a goal/end game with any protest.

What's the aim?

If the aim is to put pressure on the club to spend money, then fair enough...

If the aim is to change ownership/get rid of Woodward then make sure you are ready for a war. Get PR savvy, get clued up reds involved, get off Twitter to an extent and engage with match going fans. But even the who buys the club or takes over as CEO?

Set expectations too low and people are underwhelmed, set them too high and you run the risk of wasting potential momentum

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
As is a fly over, but that seems lost on the hard of thinking.
That’s more tenuous. Tying directly
as they have done is tacky as feck.

Snowflake mentality if you think there’s anything wrong with the 58th minute. It’s not a gimmick, it’s a powerful symbol that the club we have right now isn’t what it’s supposed to be. The players who died on that horrible day would be sickened by the current regime, they’d support this as well.
For feck sake.

RUCK4444

I’m all for it, too bad 50% of the stadium are day trippers who don’t get to see United very often so probably will not join in.

Nevertheless I hope a fair proportion do leave and it gets a lot of press attention.

Class of 63

Sourness
Going through the Desert on a Horse with no Name
Here's an idea, it might take a lot off effort for some, but it'll be cheap, everybody take a balloon(preferably Red) in and blow it up at at an arranged time, don't tie it off just hold it till the agreed time, then let it go, 75,000 balloons farting around the stadium will get the media's attention ....

And those that can hold a tune could sing "99 Red Balloons"

Last edited:

Whiteside '85

MASSIVE RANT ALERT

This protest needs to happen and I am fully behind it. Ed and Glazers are not treating this club or its fans with the respect that is required. We Are Utd!

I don't find the minute a tasteless gesture. It is in honour of the greatest team we might have produced. Unless you choose to see it differently. I see it as an honourable protest to the way the club is being run.

fergiesarmy1

MASSIVE RANT ALERT

This protest needs to happen and I am fully behind it. Ed and Glazers are not treating this club or its fans with the respect that is required. We Are Utd!

I don't find the minute a tasteless gesture. It is in honour of the greatest team we might have produced. Unless you choose to see it differently. I see it as an honourable protest to the way the club is being run.
As you’ve a legends name I’m in.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
MASSIVE RANT ALERT

That’s no massive rant. I want my 10 seconds back.

Whiteside '85

Think the 58 is that it was 58 years ago we last got beat at home by Burnley
That makes sense. So all I just said is meaningless it was 1962 if I remember right.
Why don't people make that clear at the start? I mean waling out in the 58th minute will mean one thing to most people.

I still support it

#Glazers are the problem

Lost bear

The Glazers see/treat MUFC as a cash cow. If you were making that much money out of the club you would be a happy thing. The only way to jolt them out of their comfy place is to hit them financially. I’m not sure they ever watch the games so probably won’t even notice a walkout.
No probably not but they’ll sure get to hear about it, as will everybody else. Hopefully they’ll begin to realise that we’ve had enough...

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Should be 68th minute to represent the year we won the first European cup of any English team.

Using Munich reference on the home game closest to the anniversary is just incredibly tasteless. If they were going to do it that way they should all stay and clap for the 58th minute to remember them and then leave on 59th.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
If you’re not part of the solution you’re part of the problem.
Quit being part of the fecking problem and put the other guy back on.

But still, tying a protest to Munich is tasteless and trying to one-up others with your dislike of the ownership won’t change that.

BluesJr

Owns the moral low ground
Quit being part of the fecking problem and put the other guy back on.

But still, tying a protest to Munich is tasteless and trying to one-up others with your dislike of the ownership won’t change that.
Like it or not that’s what the plan is, would I have personally chosen that minute? Probably not but I’m not going to fecking moan about it because something like this needs to happen.