Fans returning to stadiums | 4k for Carabao Cup | Suggested 10k for end of season games

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/55010011

A maximum of 4,000 fans are set to be allowed at outdoor events in the lowest-risk areas when the national lockdown in England ends on 2 December, BBC Sport understands.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to make an announcement later on Monday about the return of crowds.
He will make a statement to the House of Commons, and MPs will vote on it later in the week.

Up to 2,000 fans will be allowed in tier two areas but zero in tier three.

The measures are set to be part of the new Covid-19 restrictions in England.

Elite sport has continued behind closed doors during England's four-week lockdown, but grassroots and amateur sport has been halted since 5 November.

TrueRed1999

Somehow bleaker than Nostradamus
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/55010011

A maximum of 4,000 fans are set to be allowed at outdoor events in the lowest-risk areas when the national lockdown in England ends on 2 December, BBC Sport understands.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson is expected to make an announcement later on Monday about the return of crowds.
He will make a statement to the House of Commons, and MPs will vote on it later in the week.

Up to 2,000 fans will be allowed in tier two areas but zero in tier three.

The measures are set to be part of the new Covid-19 restrictions in England.

Elite sport has continued behind closed doors during England's four-week lockdown, but grassroots and amateur sport has been halted since 5 November.
Manchester will more than likely go back into highest tier so doubt we will see any of our fans back until next year.

TrueRed1999

Stop picking on London guys :(
I am gathering from this post your a London Red? :lol: and just stating the obvious that London always does and always will get preferential treatment than the rest of the UK when it comes to the Government :nervous:

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Think this is a bad idea and unnecessary until the vaccine is rolled out

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I am gathering from this post your a London Red? :lol: and just stating the obvious that London always does and always will get preferential treatment than the rest of the UK when it comes to the Government :nervous:
No I don't live in London and I wrote that jokingly.

I do agree that London gets preferential treatment. Like many European countries there's one part which is favoured. The North has been shafted for decades as the UK's power base has generally come from the south.

TrueRed1999

No I don't live in London and I wrote that jokingly.

I do agree that London gets preferential treatment. Like many European countries there's one part which is favoured. The North has been shafted for decades as the UK's power base has generally come from the south.
Ah fair play can't tell anymore online as people keep turning round to me I'm being serious :lol: and yep and that's another reason we hate the south :devil:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Can't have home fans at some grounds and none at others. That's a huge advantage/disadvantage to clubs. Absolute non starter.

Ludens the Red

Well of course. We’re Londoners, we’re better and more important than everyone else. Northerners can’t be expected to enjoy the same treatment, do you guys even have 5G up there?

RonaldoVII

Less than 10% capacity for over half of premier league teams, at best, is pretty ridiculous. Surely it should be % based?

Also agree that it should be all grounds or none, at least per division.

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
Less than 10% capacity for over half of premier league teams, at best, is pretty ridiculous. Surely it should be % based?

Also agree that it should be all grounds or none, at least per division.
Why would it not be percentage base? Stop making so much sense.

Also not all grounds are created equal with transport to/from the group. Surely some should be able to have more than others because of that.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
What sort of crowd does it take to break even?

Id guess at OT you would need 30k.

Pagh Wraith

Simply not true and the PL will never ever go for it. Every club gets treated the same.
What is not true? These are the numbers. Home advantage in top flight football is around 0.30 goals across Europe and about 0.15 goals without crowds. So 0.05 seems to be reasonable estimate for letting a limited number back in.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
What is not true? These are the numbers. Home advantage in top flight football is around 0.30 goals across Europe and about 0.15 goals without crowds. So 0.05 seems to be reasonable estimate for letting a limited number back in.
It will never happen. City played Liverpool at home with no fans and then if there's fans at the return everyone will cry it's unfair.....which it is. The rules should not change mid season. It should be the return of fans (in whatever percentage is possible) for all clubs or none at all.

Steve 007

I’m not a Londoner, I’m Glaswegian but I live and work in London as a secondary teacher.
The Tory government hate Londoners at the moment. We didn’t vote for them, so they are kicking us hard. They’ve gone to war with TFL and the labour mayor and those who live in London are now paying for it. They’ve put fairs up and extended the congestion charge times and days of the week. They even tried to extend it London wide meaning average earners like myself would have to find an extra £300 a month just to drive to work. We are also one of the only areas of England in which cases are rising so we can guarantee to be tier 3.
As for stadiums, it’s a joke, why not say you can’t do it? Or you can and the size of the stadium and people’s ability to spread out dictates the numbers? Where has that number came from?

Last edited:

Pagh Wraith

It will never happen. City played Liverpool at home with no fans and then if there's fans at the return everyone will cry it's unfair.....which it is. The rules should not change mid season. It should be the return of fans (in whatever percentage is possible) for all clubs or none at all.
As the effect is so small, I'd say they should just get over it. We did the same thing in Germany. Some clubs had 10,000 fans in at the start of the season, others 100.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
A week or so ago, Sky said there had never been as many away wins at this point in a Premier League season as there have been this season, so it suggests fans make a difference - at least in this league. Utter joke to only limit it to certain clubs (i.e. mostly southern ones). Either do it across the league or not at all.

Already a farce that we've had several home games against top clubs with no fans, while they'll have fans anyway for the reverse fixtures.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
I can't even imagine how crap the atmosphere is going to be in these big stadiums with say 2000 fans. 4000 isn't much better.
Our pre season friendly Vs Brighton had a small crowd there and it worked pretty well.

Obviously not ideal but just hearing little things like ironic cheers when one of our players were caught offside was actually quite refreshing even with a reduced capacity.

Siorac

Well of course. We’re Londoners, we’re better and more important than everyone else. Northerners can’t be expected to enjoy the same treatment, do you guys even have 5G up there?
There's Covid in the north of England so there must be 5G.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea
A week or so ago, Sky said there had never been as many away wins at this point in a Premier League season as there have been this season, so it suggests fans make a difference - at least in this league. Utter joke to only limit it to certain clubs (i.e. mostly southern ones). Either do it across the league or not at all.

Already a farce that we've had several home games against top clubs with no fans, while they'll have fans anyway for the reverse fixtures.
What about lower league clubs who really need a boost of income?

Would it be fair to punish say Southend (last time I checked their financial situation was dire) potentially plunging them out of existence because Liverpool have too high numbers to host a game?

Judas

Open to offers
Our pre season friendly Vs Brighton had a small crowd there and it worked pretty well.

Obviously not ideal but just hearing little things like ironic cheers when one of our players were caught offside was actually quite refreshing even with a reduced capacity.
True I get that.

I just know being at OT for games with a low capacity and it just feels a bit bleak, but maybe because it'll be ST holders (I expect?) and people properly desperate to be back in their they'll be really up for it.

Camilo

If northerners would just behave and wash their hands like the rest of the country there wouldn't be a problem. Self inflicted I'm afraid.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff

Would it be fair to punish say Southend (last time I checked their financial situation was dire) potentially plunging them out of existence because Liverpool have too high numbers to host a game?
For the lower leagues I support it as they need the income or they'll go bust.

Remember the geese

It should be division specific, so Liverpool should have no impact on Southend.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m not a Londoner, I’m Glaswegian but I live and work in London as a secondary teacher.
the Tory government hate Londoners at the moment. We didn’t vote for them so they kicking us hard. They’ve gone to war with TFL and the labour mayor and those who live in london are now paying for it. They’ve put fairs up and extended the congestion charge times and days of the week. They even tried to extend it london wide meaning average earners like myself would have to find an extra £300 a month just to drive to work. We are also one of the only areas of England in which cases are rising so we can guarantee to be tier 3.
As for stadiums, it’s a joke, why not say you can’t do it? Or you can and the size of the stadium and people’s ability to spread out dictates the numbers? Where has that number came from?
Hope you’re not teaching English Grammar!:)

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
It should really be a percentage of the stadium's capacity, for all teams.

Doesn't seem right that Fleetwood town would have same amount of people in it as 75,000 seater Old Trafford.