Fantasy draft, SF2, Aldo Vs Annah

Which team would win based on all players at their peak?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Problem with that is that ronaldo would have a head start and running the right way so might give him the edge speed-wise. Although that maradona quote and this makes me wonder.

One thing I will say that might be controversial, I dont think ronaldo scores/has much of an impact against elite defensive units, he is always looking for a weak link and your defense doesnt have any.
I don't disagree at all. If Aldo were to make the final he could do with dropping him for a non-TP and bolstering some of the other roles. Not sure it will be possible though, what is it? 50M? And what's the starting bid?

That said, Boniek's runs will create weak spots for Ronaldo to pounce, no doubt.

Annahnomoss

I don't disagree at all. If Aldo were to make the final he could do with dropping him for a non-TP and bolstering some of the other roles. Not sure it will be possible though, what is it? 50M? And what's the starting bid?
25 millions.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I'll see if I can dig something out for good old Bossis as well, but not till the game is not over. Don't want to make it look like I'm doing it to get votes or anything. I refrained from replying to your argument that Zanetti is better than him "defensively" because there weren't many who could look more assured on the ball and calm and composed in defense than Bossis did in his day, and for so many years. This is coming from one of Pupi's biggest fans. I am talking in pure defensive terms, not that he was shy going forward, in fact given his calmness on the ball he would glide past players and scored some peaches, specially that one against ASSE, but yeah behind the ball he was a real champion of a defender. I remember @Gio agreeing with me in one of the earlier drafts that he's usually overlooked in that regard, but from the "Platini generation" of French football, he was without a doubt a real stalwart. He, and a lot of others from that France NT, would have been rated a lot higher if they had reached the final of the 82 WC, which they really deserved to, instead it was decided on the first ever penalty shootout in a WC and we saw the Germans, who were alleged to have fixed their match against Austria earlier in the tournament, go to the final.
Absolutely, Bossis is great there, defensively and on the ball from deep. Your backline is quite clearly underrated but I would say out of that lot the one to upgrade on (and I still rate him highly) is Montero. I've told you before, if you could afford the TPs you should get Jaap next to Koeman. My only caveat is you lose the LCB element when Irwin bombs forward, but Maldini is already playing for Cutch I'm afraid! I may be miissing someone, but those two are the ones that come to mind.

Moby

Dick

That said, Boniek's runs will create weak spots for Ronaldo to pounce, no doubt.
Well I can add Rijkaard and Baresi instead of Simeone and Montero and play Di maria in place of Cristiano.

But the votes have dried out anyway. I'm already proud of the lads to stay in the race throughout the game. Apart from a 20 odd minute period with Annah getting 3 votes and incresing the lead, the votes came in almost evenly for both teams which is a win in itself for me. I was expecting a real hammering given what Annah did to VivaCrappy (who had a great team btw) in the previous round. It's almost like a Bulgaria or a Croatia from the 90s WC. Punched above their weight for a while and entertained the audience but the semi final was a step too big to overcome.

Annahnomoss

I believe it is Vierchowod making the run from his LCB role at around 0:30 reaching a freakish pace with his acceleration. I would say that Scirea was the one who should have picked up the opponent considering he was just next to him.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
He would be sat in the car, angry and confused.
:lol: "Nar, I wonnbe leggin it tah no match cos o no scatty feckin cab not gettin dar on teyme, la. I'll go fer a peint an' a ciggie, la - an hoop Fergie dosn't kill me, la."

Annahnomoss

But Aldo is now the richest so could bid 26M on the two he wants and nail them, right?
Even if he bids 25 he nails them, basically Aldo has enough to outbid the opponent for two players, unless the opponent just wants one player- in which case Aldo would have to spend 55 millions to get that player - leaving the opponent to pick up two. I don't think Cutch has money left but may be wrong.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Even if he bids 25 he nails them, basically Aldo has enough to outbid the opponent for two players, unless the opponent just wants one player- in which case Aldo would have to spend 55 millions to get that player - leaving the opponent to pick up two. I don't think Cutch has money left but may be wrong.
Don't think he does. I believe we we're skint allround, bar Aldo - you didn't have anything left either, did you?

Annahnomoss

I think you'd be best of using him as a CB with Koeman so you can turn it in to a comeback. :mad:

MJJ

You should look up Balu's account of that episode in the main thread. After having played the first game and flown back to Germany his taxi was stuck in a trafffic jam so he got out and ran the last 2kms to the stadium! Perfectly portrays the sort of determined and committed chap he was! Imagine being stuck in a traffic jam on your way to Old Trafford and seeing Rooney running on the sidewalk like a madman... Somehow can't see it happening :lol: He would be sat in the car, angry and confused.

Poor bloke was disappointed when the manager told him he would be on the bench for the first half :(
Off to read it, I love stories/characters like these. Thats why got involved in the mains draft(Think it was the all-time draft, played it after ages where you kept postng stories about the golden oldies), the older players somehow have a certain romance attached to them that this new generation doesnt.

Makes for a very good read.

:lol: Dude sounds a bit crazy though, that much commitment is never good.

Annahnomoss

@Chesterlestreet I think if I am in a supposed lead here it would work greatly to my favour as Anto stated earlier as well. Not sure it works like that because I am in the lead vote-wise though, I've seen people interpret it both ways.

So I don't think people should take it as a rule that one should assume Aldo to be behind at all, vote for whoever would have won teh gae if it was 0-0.

Annahnomoss

Off to read it, I love stories/characters like these. Thats why got involved in the mains draft(Think it was the all-time draft, played it after ages where you kept postng stories about the golden oldies), the older players somehow have a certain romance attached to them that this new generation doesnt.

Makes for a very good read.
It is very interesting, time will forget many of those we consider great and others will turn overrated due to people knowing more about them. I can see Pique turning overrated in 15-20 years, people will read all his inclusions in teams of the seasons and and see all his titles etc.

Moby

Dick
Don't shy out on presenting him now. Always interesting to hear from the manager about the players of choice.
A bit tight on schedule as well mate, shuffling between stuff, so it's tough to edit videos and such. But you can watch this game if you have time. It is a WC classic anyway and a good watch, and Bossis was possibly the best French player on the pitch that day against a stellar German attack of Littbarski and Fischer, and Rummenigge who came on later. Tresor gets a lot of plaudits for this game but IMO Bossis had a better game than him. Both Platini and Giresse were fantastic as well. Perhaps this loss was a blessing in disguise as it drove them to win the European Championship a couple of years later.

MJJ

It is very interesting, time will forget many of those we consider great and others will turn overrated due to people knowing more about them. I can see Pique turning overrated in 15-20 years, people will read all his inclusions in teams of the seasons and and see all his titles etc.
Pique? Imagine torres/ramos in fifty years. People would only look at the trophy hall and think of them as part of the all time greats. One thing that I hate is where have all the cool nicknames gone. Wayne "White pele" Rooney, Lionel "midget" messi doesnt match up to Falcao, the 8th king of rome, der Kaiser, Black panther, Il Phenomeno,etc

Although someone was called the matador(forgot whom) which is kinda cool.

Annahnomoss

Pique? Imagine torres/ramos in fifty years. People would only look at the trophy hall and think of them as part of the all time greats. One thing that I hate is where have all the cool nicknames gone. Wayne "White pele" Rooney, Lionel "midget" messi doesnt match up to Falcao, the 8th king of rome, der Kaiser, Black panther, Il Phenomeno,etc

Although someone was called the matador(forgot whom) which is kinda cool.
:lol: Very true. People these days who would be referred to with such nicknames wouldn't have been taken seriously.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Indeed, unfortunately in this round they are worth less than 3 millions Zimbabwian Dollars though. Won't help me in any way at all if I make it through.
Minimum raise five mill - yeah.

Well, you can do the honourable thing and donate your three mill to the "Useless World Cup Winning Fullback Foundation", recently started by the now unemployed Jorginho or Seginho or whatever the feck his name is. It was you who sold him to me in the first place, after all.

Moby

Dick
:lol:

That foundation is already in place though, Chester. I created it after the Decades Draft when I had to field Zambrotta against Best and Garrincha in consecutive games. :lol:

Moby

Dick
Oh well, the game is well into injury time. We are not the ones to give up before the final whistle but the defense of Team Annah isn't looking like it would allow us an equalizer.

Annahnomoss

I would say that we are on a 0-0 here, who scores first is the game, rather than me having a goal up. Vote for who you believe would be most likely to score. Ronaldo with his incredible physique and having rested with little defensive work all game? Maradona to abuse the fact that everybody are tired(unless he is drunk or busted for steroids by now.)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
@Chesterlestreet I think if I am in a supposed lead here it would work greatly to my favour as Anto stated earlier as well. Not sure it works like that because I am in the lead vote-wise though, I've seen people interpret it both ways.

So I don't think people should take it as a rule that one should assume Aldo to be behind at all, vote for whoever would have won teh gae if it was 0-0.
Oh, c'mon now, mate. Them's the nerves talking - relax, man. I talked to Maradona earlier today - him, Moyesie and me had a few pints (and some lines, but don't tell Moyesie's missus), discussing crossing and other fine subjects. Anyway, Diego assured me he would sooner or later - he made it sound so simple, and when you think about it, it really is - punish those good-but-not-quite-good-enough lads back there for being good, but not quite good enough. He'd have them for breakfast, he said - which I think is a bit of an exaggeration - but he'll clearly have them for supper, when they're all fried and done.

Annahnomoss

Oh, c'mon now, mate. Them's the nerves talking - relax, man. I talked to Maradona earlier today - him, Moyesie and me had a few pints (and some lines, but don't tell Moyesie's missus), discussing crossing and other fine subjects. Anyway, Diego assured me he would sooner or later - he made it sound so simple, and when you think about it, it really is - punish those good-but-not-quite-good-enough lads back there for being good, but not quite good enough. He'd have them for breakfast, he said - which I think is a bit of an exaggeration - but he'll clearly have them for supper, when they're all fried and done.
That would be a brilliant outcome, not an odd one either, but well we are getting close to 90 here, I can see him failing a drug test for Coke in the 91st to follow it up by failing another for Ephedrine in the 94th.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That would be a brilliant outcome, not an odd one either, but well we are getting close to 90 here, I can see him failing a drug test for Coke in the 91st to follow it up by failing another for Ephedrine in the 94th.
I've always thought it ridiculous to ban Maradona for coke, or ephedrine, or whatever it was. They didn't ban Hendrix - did they? Didn't ban the Stones from making Exile On Main St or Coleridge from writing poems whilst wasted on opium. Same thing, in my opinion. Great artists do drugs - it's always been like that.

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
I don't disagree at all. If Aldo were to make the final he could do with dropping him for a non-TP and bolstering some of the other roles. .
That would be ridiculous. C.Ron is well worth the 6 TP here. He is highly rated on here, some even think he belongs in Pele, Diego bracket. From vote winning point of view he is ahead of Messi and just behind Maradona and Pele.

Annahnomoss

I've always thought it ridiculous to ban Maradona for coke, or ephedrine, or whatever it was. They didn't ban Hendrix - did they? Didn't ban the Stones from making Exile On Main St or Coleridge from writing poems whilst wasted on opium. Same thing, in my opinion. Great artists do drugs - it's always been like that.
I agree. Especially considering the peer pressure from so many of the great artists around and before them doing drugs. There is nothing in life which should be illegal, banned and frowned upon if you are peer pressured in to it. Maradona should have been allowed to play with an umbrella drink in one hand, I think he could have been an all-time great even with his talent.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Had to read through the thread before I made up my mind. Thought Annah would run away with the game, but he made a few tactical mistakes and Aldo was spot on, so I gave him my vote. Sorry Annah.

Annahnomoss

Ahh alright, well I am out of here then. :D Aldo did a brilliant job here considering he lost a striker.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Damn, that was close!
You came pretty close to the team that I wanted to build when I started the bidding war with you for Platini at the beginning of this draft. So it felt wrong to vote against my own idea, but yeah, it wasn't enough for a comeback. Got lucky there, almost missed the deadline.