Fantasy Premier League 18/19

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Just seems like everyone has Rashford, Pogba and Lindelof in their teams. What points are people expecting from United defence though realistically? 1 clean sheet? So, 8 points?

You only need a goal and some bonus points from Martial to eclipse that.
I understand the argument, it’s the exact one I used to justify Sane/Silva over Laporte about five posts about yours.

The fact is though you can’t have 11 attackers, so whilst I get the point around attackers ‘only needing a goal and some bonus points’ to eclipse defenders you can’t use that logic ad infinitum, as eventually you’ll need to reconcile picking three defenders.

It’s clearly a bit of a balancing act given you’re limited to three players from each team, as ultimately you’ll have to use some spots from good teams on defenders. In my draft above for example I’ve got three City attackers, two United and Hazard. So that’s six out of a maximum seven attacking spots.

Martial looks a good pick to me (not disagreeing there) but that would mean having no City and Utd in defence, leaving something like Palace or Spurs as potential options - I think Son (or maybe Alli) are just as likely to score as Martial, whereas Lindelof is the best defensive option outside of City/Chelsea players. Balancing those things together it seems better to ‘waste’ a United spot on a defender, as I think it can be covered by Spurs, whereas the reverse doesn’t hold true.

Obviously Martial could score a hatrick and make all that nonsense.

Last edited:

SteveTheRed

I understand the argument, it’s the exact one I used to justify Sane/Silva over Laporte about five posts about yours.

The fact is though you can’t have 11 attackers, so whilst I get the point around attackers ‘only needing a goal and some bonus points’ to eclipse defenders you can’t use that logic ad infinitum, as eventually you’ll need to reconcile picking three defenders.

It’s clearly a bit of a balancing act given you’re limited to three players from each team, as ultimately you’ll have to use some spots from good teams on defenders. In my draft above for example I’ve got three City attackers, two United and Hazard. So that’s six out of a maximum seven attacking spots.

Martial looks a good pick to me (not disagreeing there) but that would mean having no City and Utd in defence, leaving something like Palace or Spurs as potential options - I think Son (or maybe Alli) are just as likely to score as Martial, whereas Lindelof is the best defensive option outside of City/Chelsea players. Balancing those things together it seems better to ‘waste’ a United spot on a defender, as I think it can be covered by Spurs, whereas the reverse doesn’t hold true.

Obviously Martial could score a hatrick and make all that nonsense.
This should be a footer on every post in this thread just change Martial for whoever you are posting about!

I think if I was on a free hit this weekend, I would see if it's possible to get 3 United attacking, 2 City attacking and 1 City defender, 2 Chelsea defence and 1 Chelsea attack - Palace GK and 1 filler.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
This should be a footer on every post in this thread just change Martial for whoever you are posting about!

I think if I was on a free hit this weekend, I would see if it's possible to get 3 United attacking, 2 City attacking and 1 City defender, 2 Chelsea defence and 1 Chelsea attack - Palace GK and 1 filler.
That's easily doable for anyone on a free hit I should think.

United Hobbit

Pogba and Son out so I can get Sterling in? I'd select Deulofeu as the other transfer? It would mean minus 4 deduction.

Or Hazard as opposed to Sterling?

I'll be playing triple captain on Aguero but need a good vice captain

podurban2

Pogba and Son out so I can get Sterling in? I'd select Deulofeu as the other transfer? It would mean minus 4 deduction.

Or Hazard as opposed to Sterling?

I'll be playing triple captain on Aguero but need a good vice captain
I’d save those transfers. Both Pogba and Son could score big.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
What for? They have shown over the past few games that they can easily concede against any opposition. Coupled that with Kepa's indecisiveness and the high price of Chelsea defenders make them really unsuitable.
They're the team with the third most clean sheets in the league this season facing Cardiff & a Brighton side who may rotate quite heavily.

Also, unlike the other "top" teams with good fixtures this week, they have relatively few attackers who appeal.

Mighty Boosh

For people no using free hits or wildcards what players are you looking at getting in to cover you for the next few gameweeks? Chelsea players seem a good option but not quite convinced by Higuain yet and Hazard is too expensive for me

ROFLUTION

What for? They have shown over the past few games that they can easily concede against any opposition. Coupled that with Kepa's indecisiveness and the high price of Chelsea defenders make them really unsuitable.
Gotta look at their opponents too. FFScout mentioned this too - Both of their opponents are in the bottom for chances created, which is half of the equation.

For me Chelsea x 2 is a must (Mainly because there are not that many other good alternatives, if you roll with 1 x City defensive asset and say Schlupp / Lindelof)

ROFLUTION

I’d save those transfers. Both Pogba and Son could score big.
With Son, the underlying stats says no.. Son has been very non creative over the last 4.

Pogba is not my favored choice of United-players neither. 1 assist in 4, and there's a fear that his reaction to Mourinho is not fuelling him so much now. Sometimes has motivation problems against teams like Watford / Wolves when the spotlight isn't so bright on him. Could be wrong on Pogba, though, with him under Ole it's hard to tell.

ROFLUTION

Current team:
Kepa
Luiz - Schlupp - Lindelöf
Hazard - Deulofeu - Dilva - Sterling
Aguero - Rashford - Lukaku

But wont go with it unless I know Lukaku / Rashford is fit.. Hopefully Ole will do some talking on injuries on MUTV or something.

The alternative team:
Ederson
Luiz - Azpili - Lindelof - Schlup
Hazard - Deulofeu - Sterling
Aguero - Rashford - Kane

FFScout mentions that Lukaku has the best underlying stats for his last 4 games, so I'd very much like to have him in there. David Silva also has some good underlying stats, where Son and Kane (And Spurs) have not so good underlying stats, and Son has not been creative at all in his last 4. Deulofeu on the other hand has some good underlying stats, and faces Fulham (5 days before their FA cup game), so I think he'll play both - Fulham seems a decent opportunity.

Schlupp: When you look at away stats for Huddersfield (Scored 3 goals in 4) and Palace home (Conceded 6 in 4) unfortunately it doesn't really ring out a clean sheet for Schlup. But he's attacking, so he is a bit of a wildcard.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Tempted not to go TC for this GW then, I have 11 players all playing twice anyway.
If you’re not playing your free hit then you’d be mad not to triple captain a City player this week.

SteveTheRed

Cardiff and Brighton that's why. They are 3rd and 5th worst goal scorers in the league, not saying they won't get a chance but you've got to think Chelsea can shut them out.

Sassy Colin

Death or the gladioli!
Aliens are in control of my tagline & location
Out of interest, when do you plan to TC if not this week/
No, you're probably right, I misunderstood a previous post.

I only really have Sterling as an option, just hope he plays a reasonable part n both games. Even if he doesn't score, a clean sheet will give him 9 points x 2.

I expect baldy to leave him out of one or the other game though. :(:mad:

ChaddyP

I'm running TC and have sterling Aguero jiminez pogba rashford in my ranks.

I have narrowed it down to Aguero and Sterling. Any suggestions?

Camy89

Love Island obsessive
I've gone balls deep, this is a make or break week for my team:

Fabianski

Wan-Bissaka, Boly, Van Dijk

Sterling (triple captain), Milivojevic, Mane, Pogba

Aguero, Jiminez, King.

Need Sterling to pummel fulham and cardiff. 7 of 11 players playing double gameweeks too.

Amadaeus

Pochémon Fan Club Chairman
Worried about Sterling triple captaincies. Played full 90 minutes in the international break and Pep love to rotate. However he has the capability to bring in much more point than Aguero who was fully rested. Aguero sounds like the safe choice, but Sterling is more likely to be the game changer. However, this is fantasy football, nothing is that easy and I expect Hazard, Pogba or some other random player to bring in more points.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Cardiff and Brighton that's why. They are 3rd and 5th worst goal scorers in the league, not saying they won't get a chance but you've got to think Chelsea can shut them out.
Gotta look at their opponents too. FFScout mentioned this too - Both of their opponents are in the bottom for chances created, which is half of the equation.

For me Chelsea x 2 is a must (Mainly because there are not that many other good alternatives, if you roll with 1 x City defensive asset and say Schlupp / Lindelof)
Cardiff and Brighton have scored against Chelsea previously this season.

The Purley King

I'm running TC and have sterling Aguero jiminez pogba rashford in my ranks.

I have narrowed it down to Aguero and Sterling. Any suggestions?
I have a similar decision to make and have gone with Aguero over Sterling. There is a stat that he's never failed to either assist or score in a home game when he's started - and he surely will start in midweek after having 2 weeks off, as opposed to Sterling who played in both games for England. I think Sterling might be on the bench for one of these.....

I usually get these decisions wrong though :)

ChaddyP

I have a similar decision to make and have gone with Aguero over Sterling. There is a stat that he's never failed to either assist or score in a home game when he's started - and he surely will start in midweek after having 2 weeks off, as opposed to Sterling who played in both games for England. I think Sterling might be on the bench for one of these.....

I usually get these decisions wrong though :)
cheers, may flip a bloody coin

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Ole has only ruled out Valencia, Darmian, and Sanchez.

It's not great confirmation about Lukaku and Shaw though, as he's also said "we'll have to check on one or two others".

Who's gambling then?

Cabin Clown

This is mine currently:

GK: Kepa
DF: Luiz, Lindelof, Wan Bissaka
MD: Sterling, Hazard, Pogba, David Silva
FD: Aguero (C), Rashford, Batshuayi

Subs is fodder.

I'd love to captain Sterling but I give Aguero just slightly more of a chance to start both games.

Jacckk1985

Thinks we should ban Niall
Gonna try and use the whole squad this double gameweek, Bench boost activated. Triple Captain will be left try on next double gameweek.

ROFLUTION

Ole has only ruled out Valencia, Darmian, and Sanchez.

It's not great confirmation about Lukaku and Shaw though, as he's also said "we'll have to check on one or two others".

Who's gambling then?
I think I am.. Lukaku's had two weeks to get his foot back together, so my reasoning is:
- The injury apparently came against PSG, and got worse after playing against Arsenal.
- If it's a knock, a knock should be gone in 20 days
- If it's more than a knock, I think it'd demand its own injury-statement from Ole.

The pitfall is we don't know if Ole's like Fergie in the press conferences with not telling about the injured players..

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
I think I am.. Lukaku's had two weeks to get his foot back together, so my reasoning is:
- The injury apparently came against PSG, and got worse after playing against Arsenal.
- If it's a knock, a knock should be gone in 20 days
- If it's more than a knock, I think it'd demand its own injury-statement from Ole.

The pitfall is we don't know if Ole's like Fergie in the press conferences with not telling about the injured players..
The other thing to take in to consideration though is that we played our best stuff with Rashford up top, Martial and Lingard wide. I would hope Ole sees this, even if Lukaku has found better form since. Maybe in better form with those two either side for movement Lukaku will be better off though. Really tough.

Could see shared minutes.

ROFLUTION

The other thing to take in to consideration though is that we played our best stuff with Rashford up top, Martial and Lingard wide. I would hope Ole sees this, even if Lukaku has found better form since. Maybe in better form with those two either side for movement Lukaku will be better off though. Really tough.

Could see shared minutes.
I think we've created quite a lot with Rashford and Lukaku on the field at the same time. More than Rashford with Martial I think, but yeah shared minutes could be a thing - also with managing the smaller injuries. That goes for all 4 actually.

I think Ole plays more of a 4-4-2 against the midtable teams. For Cup-competitions we sit back a bit more.

ROFLUTION

Fiddled with the free-hit for the last time (Or have I?!)

Ederson
Azpili - Luiz - Schlupp - Smalling
Son - Deulofeu - Sterling - Hazard
Aguero (C) - Lukaku​

Tempted by this, due to the sheer fact that my attack is all strikers or have free roles in their teams. Also have attacking-potential in the back.

Not so keen on Son's form, but he'll be up against a Liverpool side that can't live with a draw, so probably some counter-attack possibilities with Robertson bombing forward. Same with Crystal Palace, Van Aanholt is not one to be shy to go forward, so think at least his opponents are alright for him.

Last edited:

Chillosophy

Fiddled with the free-hit for the last time (Or have I?!)

Ederson
Azpili - Luiz - Schlupp - Smalling
Son - Deulofeu - Sterling - Hazard
Aguero (C) - Lukaku​

Tempted by this, due to the sheer fact that my attack is all strikers or have free roles in their teams. Also have attacking-potential in the back.

Not so keen on Son's form, but he'll be up against a Liverpool side that can't live with a draw, so probably some counter-attack possibilities with Robertson bombing forward. Same with Crystal Palace, Van Aanholt is not one to be shy to go forward, so think at least his opponents are alright for him.
Is Lukaku fit? Having a hard time deciding between him, Rashy and Martial.

ROFLUTION

Is Lukaku fit? Having a hard time deciding between him, Rashy and Martial.
See my above post about my reasoning. He's had 20 days to rest for a knock, so at least that's why I go for him. The underlying stats are clearly in favour of Lukaku over Rashford. And if he plays, then he probably plays more advanced / more on the end of chances than Rashford.

Lukaku tops the list on most chances for last four gameweeks, so I'm taking the chance on him. It's probably 50/50 on who Ole benches/starts of Lukaku/Rashford/Lingard/Martial, so I'll just pick who I believe has the best underlying stats.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
See my above post about my reasoning. He's had 20 days to rest for a knock, so at least that's why I go for him. The underlying stats are clearly in favour of Lukaku over Rashford. And if he plays, then he probably plays more advanced / more on the end of chances than Rashford.

Lukaku tops the list on most chances for last four gameweeks, so I'm taking the chance on him. It's probably 50/50 on who Ole benches/starts of Lukaku/Rashford/Lingard/Martial, so I'll just pick who I believe has the best underlying stats.
I was toying with Lukaku in my head but Higuain has 2 easy games ahead and is a sure starter.

Also is anyone considering bringing in Hudson Odoi? Doubt Sarri will continue to ignore him now. He said Hudson Odoi will play 75-80% of games in the near future too.

Paul_Scholes18

I was toying with Lukaku in my head but Higuain has 2 easy games ahead and is a sure starter.

Also is anyone considering bringing in Hudson Odoi? Doubt Sarri will continue to ignore him now. He said Hudson Odoi will play 75-80% of games in the near future too.
I am not sure I would trust Chelsea right now even with easy games. Cardiff and Brighton will both fight to stay up so it might not be as easy as people think.