Fantasy Premier League 20/21

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
So that looks to rule out the huge double that I feared.

It doesn't necessarily mean a double/blank for the FA cup finalists either, as they could start game week 36 from May 11/12.
They could also equally bolt them onto week 35 though.

Either way I think it confirms that doing a wildcard this week is the way to go, to clear up some major risks, and then it gives 3-4 weeks to sort coverage out if they do make it a double/blank 35-36.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Looks fine, nothing obvious that anyone would go "he's cack".

There are plenty of options (with some must haves) - it basically come down to personal preferences? Do you go for dearer players, do you base choices on fixture difficulty, etc?

I tried to get some top players but also look at easier run ins, hence the Wolves, Arsenal and Leicester players. I was looking at Jorginho (or Perreira) for Neto.

(PS. What's your ranking now?)

I checked today, and I'm 0.1m off that team now, so I'd have to squeeze Jorgy down to a chimpier player, or take 0.1m off the keeper and have a non starter.

It basically comes down to, do I want TAA that badly. Without him it's open to a lot more flex.
Also considering Coady with their run in, and Coleman for Everton with their double in mind.

Rank was about 16k but I daren't even look after last week.
Only ranks that matter to me are in my work league first priority then the other money league. Scraping onto 1st and 2nd so far. But i need a big response this week.

Nickosaur

What chips has everyone got left?
Used WC last week so now I'm just down to bench boost. No idea when I'll end up using it.

Paul_Scholes18

So is Shaw the best defender to get for Cresswell?
Feels there is many decent options, but no standout.
Like a Wolves defender feels good too.

I was dead cert about getting Shaw, but us conceding last game made me doubt us a bit.

I can't get Liverpool defender nor do I want another City or Chelsea defender.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
I checked today, and I'm 0.1m off that team now, so I'd have to squeeze Jorgy down to a chimpier player, or take 0.1m off the keeper and have a non starter.

It basically comes down to, do I want TAA that badly. Without him it's open to a lot more flex.
Also considering Coady with their run in, and Coleman for Everton with their double in mind.

Rank was about 16k but I daren't even look after last week.
Only ranks that matter to me are in my work league first priority then the other money league. Scraping onto 1st and 2nd so far. But i need a big response this week.
Are you precious about Mendy?

Their fixtures are rough and cheaper goalies than him with only a few less points.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Are you precious about Mendy?

Their fixtures are rough and cheaper goalies than him with only a few less points.
Good point. I suppose it "feels" right to have Chelsea coverage.
But not necessarily essential.
Probably important for the sake of 0.1m to get Forster in for current playing status and a double later on.

Paul_Scholes18

Probably important for the sake of 0.1m to get Forster in for current playing status and a double later on.
I think TAA is not essential in the next 3, but beyond those games he looks like a very good pick.

On a wildcard best getting him in early since freeing up the money later will be annoying.

Did it feel right not to WC last week? :)

If this was mid season, I'd stick with mainly top teams where I could but I do think (1) lower teams are challenging well and (2) fixture difficulty is important

Out of interest, I wonder what a WC could look like with a base of two cheapest non-playing goalies, TAA, Salah, Bruno, Son and Kane.

Then see what you could do with remainder. When we're 10-0 up later tonight and I can relax, may try it

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Out of interest, I wonder what a WC could look like with a base of two cheapest non-playing goalies, TAA, Salah, Bruno, Son and Kane.

Then see what you could do with remainder. When we're 10-0 up later tonight and I can relax, may try it
2 non playing keepers? You'd be on a 10 man team every week :)

Who do you like keeper wise? Seems quite difficult to move from Mendy when you look how Martinez's fixtures have dropped, and uncertainty at starting keeper at United & Everton. City having a blank.

Lloris / Forster could be a decent option - with the Tott double, and then Sheff U the week after the blank. Would rely on Forster keeping his place until week 32 or would leave me keeperless though.

Could put together TAA, Shaw, Stones, Holding, Philips Salah, Bruno, Son, Lingard, Nacho, Kane, Watkins with the only sacrifice needing to have a chumpy Mendy at 4.2m as a midfield filler. He plays reasonably often, but isn't a regular.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

Who do you like keeper wise? Seems quite difficult to move from Mendy when you think

De Gea / Hendo could switch either way
Martinez has tough fixtures and hasn't hauled for a good while now, despite being 26 points better than any other keeper.
Ederson - nailed - but the blank in 33
Johnstone guy - is a West Brom guy which would never feel great
Everton guy is 4.5m, but Pickford is bound to be back soon.
Forster will do as a backup, but always the chance McCarthy edges him out
Meslier - Leeds goalie doesn't seem wise despite him being 3rd in the table
Pope - injured at the mo and Brighton haven't been good
Lloris - Blank in 33 and more expensive than Mendy, otherwise he could be a good option to play this week, and 34 v Sheff Utd, with Forster in between
Sanchez for Brighton? But they seem to be a bit late drop off merchants.

Annoyingly, if i do the Johnstone/Forster combo, I'm 0.1m off the below

TAA, Shaw, Dias, Holding, Phillips
Salah, Bruno, Son, Lingard, Jorgy
Kane,Nacho, Watkins
I like Martinez still since he gets a double.

Considering taking a -4 to do Pope to Lloris? Think it is worth it for this week?

If we assume Martinez fail to keep a clean sheet vs City then I need one clean sheet for Lloris to win something.

Plus just 4 points for playing for Lloris and potential save points. Although Martinez probably make lots of saves too, but if conceding 2 goals or more gets a -1 as well. Lloris probably do not concede that many.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I like Martinez still since he gets a double.

Considering taking a -4 to do Pope to Lloris? Think it is worth it for this week?

If we assume Martinez fail to keep a clean sheet vs City then I need one clean sheet for Lloris to win something.

Plus just 4 points for playing for Lloris and potential save points. Although Martinez probably make lots of saves too, but if conceding 2 goals or more gets a -1 as well. Lloris probably do not concede that many.
As you have another playing keeper i'd probably be nervous about making that change.
If you only had Pope, and he was injured and guaranteeing a 0, you'd get your 4 back just through Lloris playing 2.

Also Lloris and Martinez is an expensive combo. It was one of my fails having Pope & Mendy for a month or so.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Did it feel right not to WC last week? :)

If this was mid season, I'd stick with mainly top teams where I could but I do think (1) lower teams are challenging well and (2) fixture difficulty is important
It's that massive double now not happening that makes the WC worth it.
Beforehand I wasn't sure, and I suppose Lingard smashing a good team like Leicester made him an immediate bring in, same with Nacho.
Son is a player to have to cover for a double too. He might blank/not play etc, but if he 23 points it and you didn't bring him it's your own fault. One of those.

Paul_Scholes18

As you have another playing keeper i'd probably be nervous about making that change.
If you only had Pope, and he was injured and guaranteeing a 0, you'd get your 4 back just through Lloris playing 2.

Also Lloris and Martinez is an expensive combo. It was one of my fails having Pope & Mendy for a month or so.
Yeah last time I benched Martinez when Pope had a double he got 12 points. Also last time vs City Martinez almost got a megahaul.

Still if Martinez gets a megahaul it means that City dropped points and a slim hope for the title if we beat Burnley. So I would be happy with that benching. If Martinez gets 1-3 point though as expected and Lloris 9-10 it would hurt a bit.

Who do you like keeper wise?
Leno obviously, hence why I picked him :)

In answer to the first point, I know that but was just thinking out loud (I've already done my WC like 7.99m others did last week :) )

It was purely out of interest and while I get your have a zero point keeper, the point was... would that allow you to have better outfield players? And would that better outfield compensate for the zero point goalie? Just an experiment.

You/me/everybody struggles to get all the players in budget and there has to be a sacrifice yeah? Mendy has 115 points from 31 GWs (I know not played all) so about 4 per week? So let's assume with their tough fixtures, he gets 21 til the end of the season. Would using the extra cash on better outfield players get 21+?

I'm not saying that's what you need to do, just thinking out loud. I'm bored

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Bringing in Mendy was a mistake. I thought West Brom and Crystal Palace were nailed clean sheets and he's conceded in both. Should have stuck to Martinez :(

Ajr

Probably no longer under surveillance
So is Shaw the best defender to get for Cresswell?
Feels there is many decent options, but no standout.
Like a Wolves defender feels good too.

I was dead cert about getting Shaw, but us conceding last game made me doubt us a bit.

I can't get Liverpool defender nor do I want another City or Chelsea defender.
Go by the odds, we have the highest CS chance this week + Shaw has high chance of attacking returns. Wolves also have a high chance of cs, about the same I think? But Coady for example isn't probably going to set up a goal but who knows. I am playing Pep + Tuchel roulette with Dias and Alonso in alongside Shaw and Trent. Dallas and Bamford to come in if they don't play.

Paul_Scholes18

Go by the odds, we have the highest CS chance this week + Shaw has high chance of attacking returns. Wolves also have a high chance of cs, about the same I think? But Coady for example isn't probably going to set up a goal but who knows. I am playing Pep + Tuchel roulette with Dias and Alonso in alongside Shaw and Trent. Dallas and Bamford to come in if they don't play.
Yeah I like to have some United players as well.

Just not sure if Shaw will get rotated near the end?

I hope we can stay in the title race though, but the league could be over by week 35-36 for us.

Could go Maguire though, but same risk with him even if Ole likes playing him in all games.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Bringing in Mendy was a mistake. I thought West Brom and Crystal Palace were nailed clean sheets and he's conceded in both. Should have stuck to Martinez :(
Martinez has 1 cean sheet in 6 though and they have pretty awful fixtures coming up, and still no Grealish who is basically their one man attack.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just looking at the guy number 1 in the world. He had 13 points for Nacho on his bench first sub. Ouch.

Interesting he ditched Salah, went heavy on Wolves and has Lacazette

Even worse for 4th & 5th in the world, 17 point Dallas benched.

Paul_Scholes18

I am really sold on Lloris after looking at clean sheet odds.

martinez 10% and Lloris around 35% for both games. Thus expected returns is 2.4 more points per clean sheet plus 2 extra points for playing.

Then you add potential bonus and save points and Lloris feels clearly worth a -4.

Lloris could get negative points though for conceding, but I don't see Everton and Southampton scoring a lot.

The only way it really backfires is if Martinez gets that clean sheet with 10 saves and 3 bonus.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I am really sold on Lloris after looking at clean sheet odds.

martinez 10% and Lloris around 35% for both games. Thus expected returns is 2.4 more points per clean sheet plus 2 extra points for playing.

Then you add potential bonus and save points and Lloris feels clearly worth a -4.

Lloris could get negative points though for conceding, but I don't see Everton and Southampton scoring a lot.

The only way it really backfires is if Martinez gets that clean sheet with 10 saves and 3 bonus.
Lloris looks a good option. As long as you have playing second keeper (which you do), as Tott play Sheff Utd in the week after the blank too.

Paul_Scholes18

Lloris looks a good option. As long as you have playing second keeper (which you do), as Tott play Sheff Utd in the week after the blank too.
Yeah Martinez and Lloris feel good for the rest of the season.

It is just the trick of avoid benching Martinez hauls.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Can't do everything with this wildcard, so what do people think the priorities should be with these aims?

1. Lining a power midfield 5 of Salah-Bruno-Son-Jota-Lingard
  2. Keeping Watkins as 3rd striker (with Kane-Nacho main two)
  3. Getting TAA in
  4. Changing Mendy & Pope to Lloris & Forster
  5. Keeping one of Dias and Stones involved

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Yeah Martinez and Lloris feel good for the rest of the season.

It is just the trick of avoid benching Martinez hauls.
I'd be more worried about using at least 1m more of your budget than you need to.
You must be missing a big hitter or two?

Paul_Scholes18

I'd be more worried about using at least 1m more of your budget than you need to.
You must be missing a big hitter or two?
Yeah I struggle to get Bruno back while keeping Salah and Spurs. Selling Son for Bruno after this week though.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
One of my earlier drafts below doesn't look too bad. Just that it's 0.1m off working now!

Mendy Forster
TAA Stones Shaw Holding Phillips
Salah Bruno Son Lingard Jorginho
Kane Watkins Ian Nacho

Flaws - no Lloris, no Jota, Dias is probably a safer option than Stones and I have him at 5.8 and he's now 6.2 for bringing back...

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Re: Salah. Personally not going to bring him in until probably GW36 for the last 3 games.

33 I'll free hit him in anyway. 34 they play us. 35 will be a double that he won't have (although he does have a plum home fixture which I hope Jota can cover somewhat) so makes him less of a captain threat.

Might go Bruno to Salah for the last 3 and just set and forget him as captain.

Is it the last DGW this season?
probably not, likely be some more (may be not all sides). Not gteed
Just looking at the guy number 1 in the world. He had 13 points for Nacho on his bench first sub. Ouch.

Interesting he ditched Salah, went heavy on Wolves and has Lacazette

Even worse for 4th & 5th in the world, 17 point Dallas benched.
I had Nacho 2nd sub and lucky that one player rested and Maddison was a covid dickhead.

I also went for Wolves players and Laca (fixtures!)
Can't do everything with this wildcard, so what do people think the priorities should be with these aims?

3. Getting TAA in

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
probably not, likely be some more (may be not all sides). Not gteed

I had Nacho 2nd sub and lucky that one player rested and Maddison was a covid dickhead.

I also went for Wolves players and Laca (fixtures!)

There's one way to fit those priorities in. Which is basically having a 4.2m Davis Villa striker facilitator, and Johnstone/Forster combo in defence.
Keeps Stones.

But the problem is with Kane/Son/Stones and Davis, I'd be down to 10 next week.
Could do a transfer out of one, but then you're wasting it putting Son or Kane back in, and if it's Stones, you'd just start with someone else anyway.

I think realistically it's a decision about TAA or Jota. Taking one out means you can get 4m Phillips in to squeeze funds out elsewhere.

Jota out (6.9) means you can have Jorginho at 4.7m as 5th mid, keep Watkins etc

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?

3. Getting TAA in
I'm going through the same dilemmas with my wildcard. Currently on this:

GKP: Sánchez (Forster)
DEF: Alexander-Arnold, Coufal, Coady (Holding) (Alioski)
MID: Jota, Lingard, Salah, Fernandes, Son
FWD: Kane, Iheanacho (Davis)

Problem is I've still got my bench boost, but as ever I'm being drawn to a strong XI at the expense of a weak bench.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I'm going through the same dilemmas with my wildcard. Currently on this:

GKP: Sánchez (Forster)
DEF: Alexander-Arnold, Coufal, Coady (Holding) (Alioski)
MID: Jota, Lingard, Salah, Fernandes, Son
FWD: Kane, Iheanacho (Davis)

Problem is I've still got my bench boost, but as ever I'm being drawn to a strong XI at the expense of a weak bench.
You've helped me decide I think.

I'll field the exact same as you post above, but still keeping in Shaw & Stones instead of your Coufal (who I've had to trim down) and Coady.

Will fire the wildcard up tonight, as I think Son is going up and someone I'm ditching is going down, so a Friday decision on
two positions
  1. Keeper - Sanchez/Johnstone/Areola in goal
  2. 5th defender Alioski/Ayling/Lowton/Masuaku

Masuaka as a West Ham guy is the tempting one, but I don't like that he's only had 2 games back in the lineup. He did play most of the early games though

Difficult for you, as you'd really want to use the wildcard the week before the BB, but with the Tottenham/City situation next week that can't happen. So you'll have to try and build it up for the mini doubles late on.

Last edited:

Paul_Scholes18

So anyone tempted by Cavani? Not for this week for me, but for Leeds?

Kane to Cavani sounds crazy, but it allow for doing Jota to Bruno as well.

Although yeah I might want Kane back.