Fantasy Premier League 22/23

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
What’s with the attempts to squeeze in 3 premiums? Personally think the value of premium players is in the fact that you captain them. Two players every week taking up 23 odd million without being captained is poor value for money imo.
I think in prior years, the team looked off with 3 premiums, and it looked like you had scrimped on a couple of players to make it happen.

This year it’s very much possible though. There are a few combinations where I would be happy starting every player. It’s tempting this year for that reason.

In one of my combos it would be Salah/Grealish/Tomi starting over Darwin/Foden/Saka. I think three might just be too much without needing the player for captaincy, as you say.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
What’s with the attempts to squeeze in 3 premiums? Personally think the value of premium players is in the fact that you captain them. Two players every week taking up 23 odd million without being captained is poor value for money imo.
While i agree with you but just a thought; premiums (Salah, Son, Haaland, KDB, Kane) start with easier fixtures. And they will deliver 200 points plus they play every week.
With 7-8 mil players you never know. Foden and Mahrez had similiar points like Son or Salah. Rashford, Sancho and Barnes failed last season. Mahrez and Foden had less points than Son or Salah.
It is not easy to find 7-8 mil player who will deliver regulary.

To be clear, i am also in dilemma with that.

paulscholes18

Could be an interesting points battle between Sterling & Martinelli V Diaz & Saka/ Jesus both are 16m for the pair.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Do people feel Cancelo is still an essential?

Without him, I can really buff up my team.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Is it me or there is huge gap in midfield and attack regarding quality. You have those 8 mil and above for who you know that they will deliver but all others (especially in attack) look like a gamble. Seems to me that there is no many decent 7 mil options. I mean, Maddison, Bowen, Saka, Foden, Kulusevski are all 8 mil. That is too high.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"

Not essential but a very good option despite the cost.

Choosing between TAA and Robbo is what's throwing me most. There's not much difference between them in terms of points but TAA just seems like a better option.

Was thinking the same. I am switching between Walker/Dias/Cancelo whole time.
Dias or Cancelo for me. Walker will get clean sheets but only had 3 assists.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Few players are ever actually essential, so nah.

But looking at City's opening fixtures (whu, BOU, new, CRY, NFO) I'd certainly want in on that City defence.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
Few players are ever actually essential, so nah.

But looking at City's opening fixtures (whu, BOU, new, CRY, NFO) I'd certainly want in on that City defence.
Yes I think the early WC might come into play as a very handy chip this year...

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Dias or Cancelo for me. Walker wasn't very good last year, only 3 assists.
Last year they got same number of points in goals+ assists. But Cancelo played 7 games more because Dias was injured.
I think i will go with Dias

And tomorrow i will go with Cancelo... :lol:

Paul_Scholes18

For gameweek one if I did free hit I would not have him.

I would have TAA, James/Chilwell, Perisic, Trippier.

For gameweek two he is the best defender.

With Cancelo you never know when he turns up though.

The weeks when I did not want him to return he got like.

9,6,5, 18, 12, 6, 12,6,6,2 points. Those games included lots of hard games as well. Although against Norwich at home he got just 6.

If you also counts the hits I took to bring in Doherty, sell Doherty and do Rudiger to Cancelo I would have been way better off having him all season.

Dirty Schwein

Supports
Luton Town
For gameweek one if I did free hit I would not have him.

I would have TAA, James/Chilwell, Perisic, Trippier.

For gameweek two he is the best defender.

With Cancelo you never know when he turns up though.

The weeks when I did not want him to return he got like.

9,6,5, 18, 12, 6, 12,6,6,2 points. Those games included lots of hard games as well. Although against Norwich at home he got just 6.

If you also counts the hits I took to bring in Doherty, sell Doherty and do Rudiger to Cancelo I would have been way better off having him all season.
I think he was valuable because not only is he good going forwards, but last year, was the most nailed City defender.

If they buy Cucurella, Cancelo will enter the Pep roulette and it's an easy decision.

But otherwise, I kind of want him in.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Yes I think the early WC might come into play as a very handy chip this year...
As people on Twitter have said, more options to split season up and plans don’t need to be as long term.
  1. First selection - say Aug to Oct
  2. Early WC/changes - say Oct to Dec
  3. World Cup changes (unlimited) - Dec to Feb/Mar
  4. Later WC/changes - rest of season
It’s a game of two halves four quarters?

FH and BB late in season to cover the planned DGWs.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

maniak

Supports
Arsenal
I'm going to organize a league for a community I'm part of but I've never played this, so if you guys can help me with a couple of questions I'd appreciate it.

I was looking at the setting and leagues only allow 16 players? I probably have more people than that.

How does the draft work? It's for the whole season or individual matchdays? Do you have transfers if you start with a draft?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We all know Haaland, the big hitting defenders and Salah.

But who are the immediate stand out value options?

Jesus 8m
Tommy 4.5m Arsenal

Maybe even Grealish at 7m now Sterling has gone? 2nd season Pep attackers often see a lift in numbers?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
We all know Haaland, the big hitting defenders and Salah.

But who are the immediate stand out value options?

Jesus 8m
Tommy 4.5m Arsenal

Maybe even Grealish at 7m now Sterling has gone? 2nd season Pep attackers often see a lift in numbers?
Definitely keeping an eye on both Grealish and Foden at 8.0m, especially if Sterling is not replaced. Game time matters a lot.

Also, from our own team, potentially Bruno. It was only last season he was deemed worthy of owning by a massive swathe of the game at 12m. Now he's come in at 10m, even cheaper than he was the season before that. He returned 150 points last season, which you can probably take as roughly his floor if he's starting regularly given how bad we and he were. If he's a nailed on starter and (crucially) back on penalties if Ronaldo leaves then there's potentially value there, and as a differential if you time it right. Ditto Rashford if his form returns. Basically if you assume United's prices are based on a season that was as bad as we can reasonably get, a few of our players will probably overperform their prices this season as part of any upswing.

Ederson and Allison are probably 0.5m underpriced as well if you like premium goalkeepers. Not idea why they've dropped down from the 6.0m they came in at in the previous few seasons.

Paul_Scholes18

For value Martinelli potentially. Very attacking pick. Mendy in the long run, but not starting with him.

I think Robertson over TAA is underrated. Just risky with TAA higher owned.

Konate for 5 could start and be good. He was the highest scoring Liverpool defender in fantasy CL playoff.

Last edited:

LuckyScout78

Tip : A new factor this season. 5 subs = a player like Liverpool Carvalho will get a lot of minutes. Even coming from the bench. With Carvalho creative abilities and the level of his teammates. And for the price of Carvalho and his quick feets.
Carvalho will get enough minutes to get many points. Really low price for him.

ROFLUTION

Tip : A new factor this season. 5 subs = a player like Liverpool Carvalho will get a lot of minutes. Even coming from the bench. With Carvalho creative abilities and the level of his teammates. And for the price of Carvalho and his quick feets.
Carvalho will get enough minutes to get many points. Really low price for him.
so a player who might get subbed on a lot? Sounds like a solid no for me unless long term injuries hit

Paul_Scholes18

There is a 4.0 Liverpool defender joining Forest I think.

Forest do not have great fixtures so not for me.

Are you guy wanting to play a 4.0 defender from Forest just cause he is 4.0 with tricky games?
For me I rather have Henderson with save points to be honest if I had faith in Forest which I have not.

Also as a bench option he is fine, but I want to have 5 defenders to play for me from the start given how cheap and good the premiums are.

Just my general feeling is that Forest will be bottom 3 for goals scored and at least top 6 for goals conceded.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
There is a 4.0 Liverpool defender joining Forest I think.

Forest do not have great fixtures so not for me.

Are you guy wanting to play a 4.0 defender from Forest just cause he is 4.0 with tricky games?
For me I rather have Henderson with save points to be honest if I had faith in Forest which I have not.

Also as a bench option he is fine, but I want to have 5 defenders to play for me from the start given how cheap and good the premiums are.

Just my general feeling is that Forest will be bottom 3 for goals scored and at least top 6 for goals conceded.
At 4.0 it honestly doesn't matter how good they are really.

The value of that pick (if you opt for it) is just to be able to get more funds from your bench into your starting eleven. You then leave them parked on your bench and accept the 2-points or whatever if you ever have to actually use them. Livramento-style 4.0 defenders who actually perform for you are the exception rather than the rule. If you actually want to use that fifth defender spot, look elsewhere.

0161_UNITED

Salah-less team:

Mendy
Chilwell James Perisic
Odegaard Kulu Foden Diaz
Jesus Haaland Darwin
Subs: Olsen, Tomayisu, Coufal, Neto

thoughts?

Gabriel Djemba-Bebe

Salah-less team:

Mendy
Chilwell James Perisic
Odegaard Kulu Foden Diaz
Jesus Haaland Darwin

thoughts?
Most of your midfielders aren't guaranteed starters. Downgrade Diaz to Rashford, then replace Foden with someone slightly cheaper. That ought to free up the funds to upgrade Kulusevski to Son.

Maluco

Salah-less team:

Mendy
Chilwell James Perisic
Odegaard Kulu Foden Diaz
Jesus Haaland Darwin

thoughts?
Triple Chelsea back line is too great a risk, especially with their CB situation. And you absolutely need one of TAA or Robertson. 200 points for 7-7.5 million.

But I think it’s promising, although you will be relying heavily on Haaland as a captain.

Easy fix would be to lower Neto to a 4.5 as he is the third sub and you will never use him. Use the million to change Chilwell/James to Robertson.

0161_UNITED

Triple Chelsea back line is too great a risk, especially with their CB situation. And you absolutely need one of TAA or Robertson. 200 points for 7-7.5 million.

But I think it’s promising, although you will be relying heavily on Haaland as a captain.

Easy fix would be to lower Neto to a 4.5 as he is the third sub and you will never use him. Use the million to change Chilwell/James to Robertson.
Appreciate it and agree. I have a variant with TAA and Martenelli and upgraded did that exact thing.
Mendy
TAA James Perisic
Kulu Odegaard Diaz Rashford
Haaland Jesus Darwin
Subs: Olsen Neto, Tomayisu, Coufal

that’s pretty good

Paul_Scholes18

At 4.0 it honestly doesn't matter how good they are really.

The value of that pick (if you opt for it) is just to be able to get more funds from your bench into your starting eleven. You then leave them parked on your bench and accept the 2-points or whatever if you ever have to actually use them. Livramento-style 4.0 defenders who actually perform for you are the exception rather than the rule. If you actually want to use that fifth defender spot, look elsewhere.
For me though I rather get an attacking 5 million defender that is nailed with good fixtures. Maybe it is just me, but I feel very good about lots of defenders.

Defenders I wish to have at 5. Digne, Cash, Trippier, Tierney, Gabriel, Doherty, Shaw, United def, Konate(if nailed), Cucurella(if nailed). Plus all the premiums as well and lots of good 4.5 as well.

It is true we had lots of promoted players that has done well. I had Lundstram for example, but right now I feel the value is in defenders personally.

I think if he turns out to be someone worth starting a lot I will buy him then for 4.1 or 4.2. I probably wildcard after 5-6 weeks and that is when Forest have good fixture. If he is starting every game and looks good I might buy him.

Maluco

Appreciate it and agree. I have a variant with TAA and Martenelli and upgraded did that exact thing.
Mendy
TAA James Perisic
Kulu Odegaard Diaz Rashford
Haaland Jesus Darwin
Subs: Olsen Neto, Tomayisu, Coufal

that’s pretty good
Yeah I like that. I think both Jesus and Darwin have the potential to be the type of player people are scrambling to jump on after a few weeks. People forgetting too that Rashford was once a 9 million player. Even for those who don’t rate him as a footballer, that’s what he is capable of in FPL terms.

Paul_Scholes18

Yep, I'm going Dias / Walker this time.
Walker is not attacking enough for me. I know it is hard and do not always work, but I like going for attacking defenders.

If I just want the clean sheet I think Ederson is fine and picking other attacking defenders. Although his lack of saves is annoying.

He was one of the cheapest keepers in fantasy CL in the later stages of the playoff and did well, but I am annoyed I did not have money to upgrade to Courtois which I wanted for semi final second leg.

I always go cheaper keepers for the higher ceiling, but with time Ederson will outscore most of them.

Teja

Walker is not attacking enough for me. I know it is hard and do not always work, but I like going for attacking defenders.

If I just want the clean sheet I think Ederson is fine and picking other attacking defenders. Although his lack of saves is annoying.

He was one of the cheapest keepers in fantasy CL in the later stages of the playoff and did well, but I am annoyed I did not have money to upgrade to Courtois which I wanted for semi final second leg.

I always go cheaper keepers for the higher ceiling, but with time Ederson will outscore most of them.
Hmmmm... yeah. The question is if Sanchez + Dias will outscore Ederson + 5M defender over the season. I'm sure someone crunched the numbers with xPts formulas, so if anyone knows I'm all ears.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Moved things along to this so far. Obligatory big boys at the back, big hitters and a couple of high value potentials.

Trippier scored 2 in about the 5 games he managed to play pre injury last season, so could be big gainz.

Mendy (4m)
TAA Cancelo James Trippier Tommy
Salah Diaz Martinelli Neto (Forest 4.5m starter)
Haaland Jesus (4.5m Leeds)

Newcastle's Bruno at 6m could be better than Martinelli - to be monitored.
Same with Chilwell if Alonso is disappearing off.

redmanc

Mendy
James, Perisic, TAA, Tomiyasu
Salah, Rashford, Raphina, Kulusevski
Haaland, Mitro

Henderson, Jonny, Palhina, Greenwood

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Re: £4m defenders. I don't see any point in that this year because as we've seen over the last few seasons defenders are providing the best value in the game and I don't see that changing this season with how they've priced them again.

I don't see anyone outscoring TAA or Robertson/Cancelo at their price points. I don't see Martinelli out scoring James, Chilwell, Laporte or Dias. Perisic might get rotated for sure but does anyone see Neto out scoring him? Not even worth commenting on the £5m and £4.5m slots either.

I think United could be the ones to upset the status quo if anything after last season. If the new manager gets us firing then we might well have a few underpriced gems like Rashford.

We'll see. Roll on pre season!

Paul_Scholes18

Hmmmm... yeah. The question is if Sanchez + Dias will outscore Ederson + 5M defender over the season. I'm sure someone crunched the numbers with xPts formulas, so if anyone knows I'm all ears.
We have seen 4.5 keepers outscore Ederson many times and we have seen 5 million defenders outscore Dias. To start I rather have Cash and Ederson over Dias and Sanchez.