Fantasy Premier League 22/23

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Extra wildcard probably makes a GW1BB more viable, depending on what cheap options emerge between now and then.

Paul_Scholes18

Extra wildcard probably makes a GW1BB more viable, depending on what cheap options emerge between now and then.
So far there are not enough cheap gems. Neto and Podence if they start maybe the best vs Leeds. Elanga too and Konate.

Problem is do you want all these cheap players beyond the bench boost?

Wildcard gameweek 2 feels too early, but it could work. Maybe this team.

Mendy Meslier
Konate Chillwell/ James Cash Perisic Trippier
Podence Salah Kulu Neto Elanga
Wilson Watkins Vardy

Something like that could be quite decent.

Teja

I might even get him in my normal team, but risky and could be a disaster.
How bad can it be really? Even if one of Laporte / Matip doesn't start in a given GW, the 5th midfielder (Pereira) will come in. Easy options available to swap out in case it isn't a one off.

Paul_Scholes18

How bad can it be really? Even if one of Laporte / Matip doesn't start in a given GW, the 5th midfielder (Pereira) will come in. Easy options available to swap out in case it isn't a one off.
It is more I would go without TAA then and Matip scores from a corner taken by TAA/Robertson and Liverpool keep clean sheet and weekend ruined.

We remember Matip outscoring TAA the last 10 gameweeks which I do not expect, but could happen. If you go Konate and he outscores TAA you might have a chance to win FPL if you spend the money well.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
There finally is a solid argument to go without Salah this year. The value of premiums is in the captaincy, so any more than two is probably a detriment to the team.

You have to believe that Haaland and Kane (under a proper manager, in a better team, without huffing for the first 15 games) can hit very close to Salah’s mark.

It all comes down to how you spend that 1.5 million.

If it’s on one player, it makes a massive difference to the quality of that individual. If it’s on a couple of players? It could have an even bigger impact.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
He rotates with ESR... As far as I remember.
Damn. I can't decide between Martinelli, Rashford and Bruno G. Rashford has potential to be a bargain but i am not sure that he will start. Martinelli will rotate a,lot and Bruno is more a midfielder than forward.

Moby

Dick
Reply from a spurs fan and also one of the better strategists out there.

Definitely a valid concern, but I think it's worth punting on given how crazy we have seen average players playing wingbacks for Spurs. This is actually a proper attacker.

I wonder how it impacts the formation. With Bissouma in as well, it could be a 5-3-2 with Kulu as a RWB.

Maluco

Reply from a spurs fan and also one of the better strategists out there.

Definitely a valid concern, but I think it's worth punting on given how crazy we have seen average players playing wingbacks for Spurs. This is actually a proper attacker.

I wonder how it impacts the formation. With Bissouma in as well, it could be a 5-3-2 with Kulu as a RWB.

This might be enough to put me off him at 33 years old. With 5 subs and wing backs being the most intensive roles, I think it’s a big gamble. Obviously rich rewards, but I don’t know if I fancy looking at the clock in the Spurs game every weekend!

Moby

Dick
This might be enough to put me off him at 33 years old. With 5 subs and wing backs being the most intensive roles, I think it’s a big gamble. Obviously rich rewards, but I don’t know if I fancy looking at the clock in the Spurs game every weekend!
There's no doubt he will be subbed - and that was the case even last season with Conte. He subs his wingbacks that's how it is. But they can also smash 15 points in the first half and walk off with CS points.

I guess we can wait and watch how good Spurs really are. They finished the season in top form, and have a good manager, a settled team with some decent players coming in and no one important leaving. I'm pretty much set on starting with Kane over Haaland. It's an easy switch if Haaland does bang.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
So how much will Eriksen cost when he is unveiled? 6,5 is my guess

Maluco

There's no doubt he will be subbed - and that was the case even last season with Conte. He subs his wingbacks that's how it is. But they can also smash 15 points in the first half and walk off with CS points.

I guess we can wait and watch how good Spurs really are. They finished the season in top form, and have a good manager, a settled team with some decent players coming in and no one important leaving. I'm pretty much set on starting with Kane over Haaland. It's an easy switch if Haaland does bang.
Thats true, it’s the difference between a goal contribution and being subbed at 61 minutes and no goal contribution and going off at 59 minutes. It’s a fine line.

He regularly rotated last season too, so would be surprised if he started a big CL game and then started on the weekend too, so there is that to consider at the same time.

I think I am going to be brave and go Haaland/Kane. I think they will point up there with Salah for 1.5 less it means I could add a Robertson/Cancelo too.

Maluco

Threemium.

Mendy
Trippier Trent Cancelo James Tomiyasu
Salah Martinelli Neto
Kane Haaland

Bench: :lol:
This is actually really good. Martinelli is quality if he starts and Neto is a really good player who should be nailed on at Wolves. Quality defence and 3 premiums. It’s crazy that that back line is possible with those three premiums in the team!

Moby

Dick
This is actually really good. Martinelli is quality if he starts and Neto is a really good player who should be nailed on at Wolves. Quality defence and 3 premiums. It’s crazy that that back line is possible with those three premiums in the team!
Ya and you can play around a bit. Mendy to Raya/Sanchez and can get Perisic etc.

There could also be some starting 4.5m assets. Pereira to Fulham as an attacking midfielder can be a decent bench option with a heavy starting 11.

Maluco

Ya and you can play around a bit. Mendy to Raya/Sanchez and can get Perisic etc.

There could also be some starting 4.5m assets. Pereira to Fulham as an attacking midfielder can be a decent bench option with a heavy starting 11.
Yeah, you could possibly have two starters on the bench in Pereira and Williams (if they go to Fulham/Forest respectively). It’s definitely one to think about if you hit on the right value options.

There are no guarantees in midfield, even at £8 million, in terms of rotation.

LuckyScout78

6.5 for Rashford in midfield is crazy low. The boy is in my team.

If Eriksen completed the deal and De Jong join too. The ingredients and factors that lead to Rashford and United attacking players to do better this season. Rise rise a lot. And 6.5 as a left winger and CF option. 6.5 for Rashford in midfield is a bargain price in Fantasy this year.

Never could i imagine his price would fall so low. 7.5 for Rashford is more closer to the right price for him.

Maluco

Anybody else keep drafting and realizing that 5 at the back is far and away the best option in terms of value, but just don’t like the look of the formation?

I just keep coming back to it. I can’t believe that Cancelo is a million less than DCL and James is the same price as Buendia. It feels like nothing else makes sense…but I don’t want to do it:houllier:

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Anybody else keep drafting and realizing that 5 at the back is far and away the best option in terms of value, but just don’t like the look of the formation?

I just keep coming back to it. I can’t believe that Cancelo is a million less than DCL and James is the same price as Buendia. It feels like nothing else makes sense…but I don’t want to do it:houllier:
Yep. I've just done a 4-5-1 on my second draft and realised how much more value I can get having the extra defender.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Thoughts on Nicholas Pope? Newcastle aren't the strongest at the back but they'll be better than Burnley were last year and the man's a proven FPL save magnet.
For 5 mil? Too much when you have Mendy at 5.0 and premiums at 5.5

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Thoughts on Nicholas Pope? Newcastle aren't the strongest at the back but they'll be better than Burnley were last year and the man's a proven FPL save magnet.
Trippier is same price and carries goal and assist threat. No brainier to go for him over Pope.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
For 5 mil? Too much when you have Mendy at 5.0 and premiums at 5.5
That's what I thought as I originally went for Mendy, then I did some digging into stats from the past few years.
  • Last year both Mendy and Pope got 130 points, despite Pope obviously playing in a much worse team.
  • Over the past 4 seasons Pope has averaged 149 points per year, with his highest being 170 and lowest being last year's 130. Mendy's average is 135 over the past 2 years.
  • The big one. Pope made a whopping 120 saves last year and has averaged 116 saves the past 4 PL seasons. Mendy's average is about half that, last year he got 76.
  • Pope received 12 bonus points last year compared to Mendy's 3. Not a huge difference but technically 4x as many.
On the basis of this I'm edging towards Pope simply because his extra saves/bonus points mean he's able to get anywhere from 3-11 points per game.

Due to his lack of saves/bonus points, Mendy will nearly always get between 2-8. If Chelsea concede then he's not getting many points at all.

Edit - I was sick as a parrot when I wrote this, hopefully it a) makes sense, and b) doesn't sound like condescending drivel.

Last edited:

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

Suspect there will be at least one decent 4m defender pick by the time the season starts, in which case I'd likely move to four at the back.

Maluco

Suspect there will be at least one decent 4m defender pick by the time the season starts, in which case I'd likely move to four at the back.
I did think about that, but surely that is more than made up for my the money saved fielding the likes of Robertson, TAA, James, Cancelo, Chilwell, Perisic etc… ahead of the likes of even the 8 million midfielders? Will a Grealish or a Coutinho outpoint the guys above?

There will be 4.5 picks for midfield too. I don’t really want to play 5 at the back, but it seems counterproductive not to when you look at points/price from last year.

paulscholes18

Best Fourmium I can come up with

Raya
James Tomiyasu Ait-Nouri Dunk
Salah Son Neto Wissa
Haaland Kane

Forster Andreas Brunt Greenwood

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Pretty hard this. Not got a playing bench but:

Henderson
Trippier TAA Cancelo Cash
Martinelli Salah KDB B.Guimaraes Ramsey
Kane

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Pretty hard this. Not got a playing bench but:

Henderson
Trippier TAA Cancelo Cash
Martinelli Salah KDB B.Guimaraes Ramsey
Kane
What do you expect from Henderson? Clean sheets or you are going for saves? I doubt that NF will have many CS this season.

Fabian Keller

Perisic is left wing back not right. As being whole his career left winger, he will have solid numbers in attack (for a defender). Plus Spurs under Conte will have a lot of CS.
Yeah I dunno, he's old, not that good and Spurs have loads of other players. So much choice in defenders, so it seems random to me how keen everyone is on him. Unrelated, but people are sleeping on Callum Wilson and Newcastle in general.

Also have a feeling Brentford will be proper shite. Mendy at 5 is ridiculously cheap.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I did think about that, but surely that is more than made up for my the money saved fielding the likes of Robertson, TAA, James, Cancelo, Chilwell, Perisic etc… ahead of the likes of even the 8 million midfielders? Will a Grealish or a Coutinho outpoint the guys above?

There will be 4.5 picks for midfield too. I don’t really want to play 5 at the back, but it seems counterproductive not to when you look at points/price from last year.
If you're looking for long term value then premium defenders will certainly win out at that price point.

But given we have a transfer every week we're not just looking at long term value, we're also looking to hop on and off players for short-term, value-gaining hot runs. And in those terms I would tend to prefer having, say, an extra mid-price midfield slot over a fifth premium defender slot. I think that's probably the price point where there tends to be the most volatility (i.e. bandwagon chasing) and I'm very happy to play that game when the core of my team will be made of very stable picks.

Even more so given a 4.0 defender offers a different type of value in their own right.

Paul_Scholes18

I think if you had no bench I would go Robertson TAA Cancelo James/Chilwell Perisic, but a 4.5 defender can be great value

The thing is you can't play 6 defenders so relative costs in position is key. If they made mids cheaper you could build an insane team too easy with cheaper defensive gems.
They could raise all defenders roughly with 0.5 and mids lower with 0.5, but doubt they want that.

Maluco

Valid points lads. There are definitely better £4.5 million options that you would be more comfortable starting if someone were out too.

Is anyone considering Son over Salah? And is anyone giving thought to Sterling now after his move? Probably Chelsea’s key forward now, and I’m sure he wouldn’t have moved without guarantees about his role in the team.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
Whats happening with Ricardo Pereira ? 4.5m! If he's over his injuries that could be a bargain.

Paul_Scholes18

Valid points lads. There are definitely better £4.5 million options that you would be more comfortable starting if someone were out too.

Is anyone considering Son over Salah? And is anyone giving thought to Sterling now after his move? Probably Chelsea’s key forward now, and I’m sure he wouldn’t have moved without guarantees about his role in the team.
I think I go Salah due to the fixtures, but for gameweek one I have no real feeling for who will be best. I still usually get good score from just good strategy based around good fixtures.

Son and Salah have equally easy fixtures I say. Salah probably more likely to score one goal. Son more likely with 2 I say. That is my feeling.
On expected points I think Salah is slightly ahead. Maybe 7-8 expected points for each roughly.

Basically do you want to make sure you are not far behind everyone else then pick Salah. If you want to get ahead of all of your rivals and get a big lead then go Son.

Tavern in the town

What’s with the attempts to squeeze in 3 premiums? Personally think the value of premium players is in the fact that you captain them. Two players every week taking up 23 odd million without being captained is poor value for money imo.