Squad is currently..

Areola
Cash Udogie Burn
Salah Saka Son Douglas Luiz Neto
Haaland Watkins(C - against Luton)

Onana Mitchell Lamptey Osula

Will keep an eye on Mitoma, hopefully I get him later for Douglas Luis or Neto

ROFLUTION

I thought this, but Diaby has done next to nothing versus Watkins the last 3-4 weeks.
Beware covering the lesser option in attacks.

(He says, keeping Alvarez instead of Haaland)
huh? Im advocating to have both. Great value in Alvarez.

Moby

Dick
No Trippier? That frees quite a big chunk up, to still get the rest in.
I checked a little and I can keep Trips with the big 5 by downgrading Mitoma to Adingra/Palmer.

Areola, Strakosha
Trippier, Pau, Tsimikas, Lascelles, Taylor
Salah, Saka, Son, Palmer, 4.3
Watkins, Haaland, Alvarez

Basically it's Mitoma, Cash, Gabriel vs Palmer/Adingra, Trips and Pau. You still cover the Villa cleans, and get to keep Trips who has a lot of value and it will cost me 0.3 to get him back if I sell him.

Gawge

I checked a little and I can keep Trips with the big 5 by downgrading Mitoma to Adingra/Palmer.

Areola, Strakosha

Basically it's Mitoma, Cash, Gabriel vs Palmer/Adingra, Trips and Pau. You still cover the Villa cleans, and get to keep Trips who has a lot of value and it will cost me 0.3 to get him back if I sell him.
This team is interesting to me, because this is clearly the way to get all of those current 'must-have' players (of which most people are compromising on one or two).

I am currently opting to miss Haaland and have upgrades on all the 'fringe' players of the squad. It will be interesting which does better.

I suppose my worry with this team is the defence. Like Tsimikas and Lascelles are great option for now, but I'm not sure when they need to be replaced where you can go. Plus a Palmer injury or something also causes big problems.

Moby

Dick
Yeah quite a few have dismissed that option but could be a very spicy differential.
I would be interested if he was cheaper but for 6m it's a bit too much to get a guy who in his own words will always be rotated and spends half the games in the physioroom. I mean they have an attacker who costs a million less and probably gets more minutes, if someone is inclined on punting with a cheap player with those fixtures. Fair play if you get him and he does well obviously.

Moby

Dick
This team is interesting to me, because this is clearly the way to get all of those current 'must-have' players (of which most people are compromising on one or two).

I am currently opting to miss Haaland and have upgrades on all the 'fringe' players of the squad. It will be interesting which does better.

I suppose my worry with this team is the defence. Like Tsimikas and Lascelles are great option for now, but I'm not sure when they need to be replaced where you can go. Plus a Palmer injury or something also causes big problems.
It takes two transfers to fix those things, so I will ask the same thing what exactly do you get by selling Haaland when you are literally getting the 6 biggest names in the game while keeping him, apart from maybe a Trent? If it was a situation like before where you needed another premium like Kane and there was no way to fit them, fine, but right now they can all fit together. So for me I need a lot more reward for going against the best player in the game with juicy fixtures coming up.

I totally agree with the defense point though which is why I tried to fit in Trips, and also because getting him back will cost me way more than I paid, but I think at least him and Torres (you can go for Guehi or whatever) are two solid picks and it's the third guy who is a risk, so you need one of those 3 to be playing (even Burnley have good enough fixtures that you can play Taylor for one game while you have to wait to make the next transfer) which isn't that big a risk to make me start selling Haaland, and again once you have Trips aside from Trent there isn't really any great defender out there that we are missing out on.

Gawge

It takes two transfers to fix those things, so I will ask the same thing what exactly do you get by selling Haaland when you are literally getting the 6 biggest names in the game while keeping him, apart from maybe a Trent? If it was a situation like before where you needed another premium like Kane and there was no way to fit them, fine, but right now they can all fit together. So for me I need a lot more reward for going against the best player in the game with juicy fixtures coming up.

I totally agree with the defense point though which is why I tried to fit in Trips, and also because getting him back will cost me way more than I paid, but I think at least him and Torres (you can go for Guehi or whatever) are two solid picks and it's the third guy who is a risk, so you need one of those 3 to be playing (even Burnley have good enough fixtures that you can play Taylor for one game while you have to wait to make the next transfer) which isn't that big a risk to make me start selling Haaland, and again once you have Trips aside from Trent there isn't really any great defender out there that we are missing out on.
I'm really torn on it, the thing that made me stick is that I can keep my Wildcard by removing Haaland, so if it all goes wrong I can quickly recalibrate.

I suppose comparing to your team, ultimately the things no Haaland allows me is Schar/Saliba/Bowen/Maddison vs Lascelles/Tsimikas/Taylor/Palmer. I do feel confident that my 4 should outscore yours over the next few weeks, but whether that's more than Haaland hauls is very much up in the air.

Mostly when thinking about this decision, it seems like most people have been opting for Haaland+Watkins (and dropping Alvarez) which made me more secure in my decision. However you having both definitely is making me think.

Moby

Dick
I'm really torn on it, the thing that made me stick is that I can keep my Wildcard by removing Haaland, so if it all goes wrong I can quickly recalibrate.
That's a fine strategy and I had the same in mind, that if I had to sell him I'd rather do it before using a WC so that it's easy to fix, however doing it on WC for me is a no go, so fair enough if that's the situation for you.

Schar/Saliba/Bowen/Maddison vs Lascelles/Tsimikas/Taylor/Palmer. I do feel confident that my 4 should outscore yours over the next few weeks, but whether that's more than Haaland hauls is very much up in the air.
Out of them I won't be starting Lascelles and Taylor, and Palmer can be Adingra who has better fixtures (I checked and he has scored 4 less points than Mitoma in last 5 weeks since he has been starting, and during that time Mitoma had one big haul vs BOU so they are kinda even), so the main upgrade seems to be Maddison over say an Adingra and say Saliba over Tsimikas while losing Haaland? Yeah it's not enough for me.

SteveCoppellFan

Haaland is official gone .. ( from my team ).

Ive now purchased a brand new sofa to hide behind every time City are playing.

Going big in midfield .. Salah, Son, Saka, Odegaard and either Maddison or Bruno.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
Yeah quite a few have dismissed that option but could be a very spicy differential.
I needed to downgrade Bowen in midfield to Gordon but I think Gordon + Ferguson is going to be good.

I am now going with:

Areola Turner
TAA Trippier Konsa Branthwaite Kabore
Salah Son Saka Mitoma Gordon
Alvarez Watkins Ferguson

A bit too deep but I'm going to have Branthwaite and Kabore always on bench and rotate the guys up front.

Moby

Dick
I needed to downgrade Bowen in midfield to Gordon but I think Gordon + Ferguson is going to be good.

I am now going with:

Areola Turner
TAA Trippier Konsa Branthwaite Kabore
Salah Son Saka Mitoma Gordon
Alvarez Watkins Ferguson

A bit too deep but I'm going to have Branthwaite and Kabore always on bench and rotate the guys up front.
Pretty much same as me given we both have Trips and a Villa CB, so it's basically Haaland, Adingra, Tsimikas vs TAA, Mitoma, Ferguson. I like it.

Sarni

Pretty much same as me given we both have Trips and a Villa CB, so it's basically Haaland, Adingra, Tsimikas vs TAA, Mitoma, Ferguson. I like it.
Feck, looking at this I'm actually somewhat tempted to go with your players. :lol:

I'll let it roll though, got a good feeling about Brighton duo and TAA. It seems like I'm well short on funds when I make the swap though so you must be on a much better budget.

Moby

Dick
Feck, looking at this I'm actually somewhat tempted to go with your players. :lol:

I'll let it roll though, got a good feeling about Brighton duo and TAA.
Trent can be a great pick, it's just that if you can cover his defensive returns with a guy who is around 4m cheaper then it really depends on attack and bonus, which can be huge of course.

Go with your players, I think both are fine options and will come down to form more than anything.

Sarni

Konsa v Pau is a toin coss for me too, I had Konsa before WC so just kept him but they are basically the same player with similar threat and expected return I guess. Konsa can play right back but probably won't. I'd love Moreno but not sure when he's back.

troylocker

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'

Areola, Strakosha

That looks a little too thin and unbalanced in the midfield for me. Spurs' easy fixtures are over, so I would downgrade Son (who only scores against teams who leaves space for him) to avoid having a "dead" 5th midfielder. There plenty to choose from between 5,5-7,5M. In other words: I'd much rather have two of: Martinelli, Bowen, Gordon, Mitoma than Son + a 4,3. Easy!
And I think it's a bit risky to go with Taylor + two stand ins (Lascelles and Tsimikas) in the back. Lascelles is probably out of the team in gameweek 12 and Tsimikas is not nailed. Taylor will just, like my Al-Dakhil, give you 1, 0 or -2 pointers for the rest of the season if you must play them.

Trippier, Salah, Saka and that trio up top looks nuts though ;)

Moby

Dick
That looks a little too thin and unbalanced in the midfield for me. Spurs' easy fixtures are over, so I would downgrade Son (who only scores against teams who leaves space for him) to avoid having a "dead" 5th midfielder. There plenty to choose from between 5,5-7,5M. In other words: I'd much rather have two of: Martinelli, Bowen, Gordon, Mitoma than Son + a 4,3. Easy!
And I think it's a bit risky to go with Taylor + two stand ins (Lascelles and Tsimikas) in the back. Lascelles is probably out of the team in gameweek 12 and Tsimikas is not nailed. Taylor will just, like my Al-Dakhil, give you 1, 0 or -2 pointers for the rest of the season if you must play them.

Trippier, Salah, Saka and that trio up top looks nuts though ;)
Sonny hyung isn't going anywhere bro. If he only scores vs teams who leaves space, then I am excited to watch him play Chelsea, Wolves, Aston Villa and Man City! He always scores vs City anyway. And I am playing 3-4-3 so the 4.3 will be on the bench, I don't want to put any money on a bench player when saving that allows me to get a Son/Trips.

Fair point with Tsimikas as I already said, as of now he is a starter and the first choice is out for 3 months so I am not going to thinking about his rotation till it happens at which point we will do what is needed.

troylocker

Sonny hyung isn't going anywhere bro. If he only scores vs teams who leaves space, then I am excited to watch him play Chelsea, Wolves, Aston Villa and Man City! He always scores vs City anyway. And I am playing 3-4-3 so the 4.3 will be on the bench, I don't want to put any money on a bench player when saving that allows me to get a Son/Trips.

Fair point with Tsimikas as I already said, as of now he is a starter and the first choice is out for 3 months so I am not going to thinking about his rotation till it happens at which point we will do what is needed.
Fair enough, but I'm willing to bet he (Son) blanks against CP tomorrow.
This weekend Mitoma plays Fulham, Diaby plays Luton, Bowen plays Everton, Martinelly plays SHU etc. all at home....and it's not unlikely Gordon return agaisnt Wolves who's very shaky on the right side.

....and Son's record in the PL against the next few oppos:
Chelsea: 2 goals in 14
Wolves: 0 goals in 9
Villa: 5 goals in 6 !!
City: 4 goals in 14 (not exactly always - 0 returns last season)

Let's see how confident you are in keeping him when he's blanked the next 3 and Palmer's not taking penalties every match during Chelsea's tough run...
I'll be coming back for a longterm Son hold from GW17-32, but before them I'm spreading those funds around.

Good luck!
This is such a fun and frustrating game.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Made an early transfer when I didn't need to.

Udogie and Diaz out. Gabriel and Martinelli in.

Can't move to Saka sadly. But with Jesus out maybe Materinelli gets more central cut ins.

RaddyRed

Supports
Henrik Larsson
This weekend Mitoma plays Fulham, Diaby plays Luton, Bowen plays Everton, Martinelly plays SHU etc. all at home....and it's not unlikely Gordon return agaisnt Wolves who's very shaky on the right side.

Let's see how confident you are in keeping him when he's blanked the next 3 and Palmer's not taking penalties every match during Chelsea's tough run...
I'll be coming back for a longterm Son hold from GW17-32, but before them I'm spreading those funds around.

Good luck!
Son returned decent points against Fulham who would have sat in (I didn't see the game so can't confirm that tbf)

I'd been planning to ditch him, but is their main striker and on form.

Moby

Dick
Hands off my Adingra differential @Moby
I still like Palmer more long term, but I can start with this guy and switch to him, or just save that transfer now.

Good luck!
I don't expect him to score vs Palace but a WC is built not for one gameweek, it's not a free hit. Spurs pretty much have good fixtures except a couple of "tough" ones for a long long time, so as of now there's no way I get rid of him, especially as he might even be a captaincy option when Man City play Liverpool, and again in GW18 when Man City blank and I think Liverpool are playing Arsenal.

As for historic records, yeah it's him playing up front under an attacking manager without Harry Kane and being the primary goalscorer, so it's a no brainer. I will sell Saka before him if I had to lose a "premium" mid.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Keeping Son is a no brainer for me. Nailed OOP as a striker at one of the most attacking teams in the league. Scores against top clubs as well. Easy set and forget.

Moby

Dick
I wouldn't do that with a player like Son - go back a few weeks to GW6 WCers, who ditched him because he had blanked against SHU at home and had Arsenal and Liverpool up next - 3 goals in 2 games and then he blanks again vs Luton. He's an explosive player who will blank in some games and go apeshit in others so if you want his returns you need to just stick with him, I personally won't be hopping on and off especially with a guy like this.

troylocker

Son returned decent points against Fulham who would have sat in (I didn't see the game so can't confirm that tbf)

I'd been planning to ditch him, but is their main striker and on form.
Son returned against Fulham because Bassey singlehandedly gifted them 2 goals. Great finish from Son (as usual, tbf), but Spurs created almost nothing outside the goals they were gifted and he won't get many chances against this kind of teams.

Moby

Dick
Son returned against Fulham because Bassey singlehandedly gifted them 2 goals. Great finish from Son (as usual, tbf), but Spurs created almost nothing outside the goals they were gifted and he won't get many chances against this kind of teams.
But they have found a way in all these type of games which is why they are top of the league right now, I think I mentioned this before to you (seems like half your posts in this thread are telling everyone how shit Spurs/Son are while they are winning game after game :lol: ), but their and Son's touches in the box have gone up massively as compared to when they had Conte/Mou/Nuno etc. So an elite finisher like Son would always end up getting those kind of chances over the 70-80 mins on the pitch and there's a good chance he finishes a few of them.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Areola, Strakosha

You'll have a bit more team value than me, but I'm 0.2m short of this lot... which is probably fairly gettable.
With probably my only regret being no Alvarez.

Areola (Turner)
Gabriel Trippier Pau (Tsim, Lascelles)
Saka Salah Son Palmer Luiz
Haaland Watkins (Archer)

Last edited:

troylocker

I wouldn't do that with a player like Son - go back a few weeks to GW6 WCers, who ditched him because he had blanked against SHU at home and had Arsenal and Liverpool up next - 3 goals in 2 games and then he blanks again vs Luton. He's an explosive player who will blank in some games and go apeshit in others so if you want his returns you need to just stick with him, I personally won't be hopping on and off especially with a guy like this.
I understand where you're comming from and I know that Son is an exceptional finisher and that he's playing striker in a good team. Over the season I believe he'll hit 200+ points again.
I do however think Spurs is massively overrated and they have been massively overperforming this season (by far the most in the league), they are done with all the easiest fixtures, they will probably never play against a 9 man Liverpool again and Son is their by far biggest overperformer. Even by his standards as a consistant xG overperformer he's overperformed (7 goals from 3,91 xG) at an unsustainable level so far this season. For those reasons I don't think Son is a season long hold, especially if it messes up the balance in your team and keeps you from fielding good players with better fixtures.

For a bit of perspective on the overperforming: Rashford is on 1 goal from 3,39 xG this season and our entire attackforce (Garnacho, Antony, Rashford, Bruno, Højlund, Pellistri and Martial) has 2 open play goals combined from 10 xG. This is of course not sustainable either.

My point is:
If I could choose 1 player from all the players not named Salah or Haaland, I'd probably choose Son.
If I could to choose between:
- Son (with medium minus fixtures the next 5) + Palmer (with horrible fixtures) + 4,3M. Where you have to play Palmer every week in tough fixtures.
and
- 2 x 5,5-7,5M (with great fixtures) + Palmer (with horrible fixtures). Where you have a lot more flexibility when selecting your starting 11.

So the question is whether you want to field a 200+ points player + Palmer (we have no idea if his a 50 or 150 point player) every week without any other option or if you want to have the choice between 2 150-200p players and Palmer depending on their fixtures every week.

I'd go for the latter.

With the team you've set up you'll have one front 7 no matter the fixtures and too little flexibility for my liking + I don't think we can expect many points from Palmer the next 6 gameweeks either (he's definitely on my watchlist though)

Moby

Dick
If I could to choose between:
- Son (with medium minus fixtures the next 5) + Palmer (with horrible fixtures) + 4,3M. Where you have to play Palmer every week in tough fixtures.
and
- 2 x 5,5-7,5M (with great fixtures) + Palmer (with horrible fixtures). Where you have a lot more flexibility when selecting your starting 11.

So the question is whether you want to field a 200+ points player + Palmer (we have no idea if his a 50 or 150 point player) every week without any other option or if you want to have the choice between 2 150-200p players and Palmer depending on their fixtures every week.

I'd go for the latter.

With the team you've set up you'll have one front 7 no matter the fixtures and too little flexibility for my liking + I don't think we can expect many points from Palmer the next 6 gameweeks either (he's definitely on my watchlist though)
Palmer can easily be Adingra who has better fixtures in the immediate term, and then after a few games we can re-assess how to reshuffle the funds around, so I never look at "season totals" when picking players, that's a meaningless stat as me picking Palmer or Adingra in GW10 has absolutely nothing to do with their entire season total, I will have the ability to use transfers and change these players around if they don't perform, it's about what team you go with right now based on both form and fixtures.

As for playing the same front 7, that's exactly what I like to have pretty much the entire time I play this game, I almost never rotate with my subs and hate rotation headache, so I am okay to have backups who are only needed in an emergency situation where I get an unexpected benching.

I don't get the point about no flexibility, it will take me two moves to go from Saka and Adingra to Bowen and Gordon or whatever, which can be done for free in a single GW.

athlonmax

Supports
Malaysian National Team
Trippier+Udogie+Diaby+Alvarez ---> Saka+Gabriel+Taylor and Watkins for -8, would you do it?

The rest of the midfield is Salah, Son, Bowen and Gordon. The other defenders is Cash, Porro and Kabore.(Haaland and Archer for forward spots)

RDCR07

Not a bad guy (Whale Killer)
Trippier+Udogie+Diaby+Alvarez ---> Saka+Gabriel+Taylor and Watkins for -8, would you do it?

The rest of the midfield is Salah, Son, Bowen and Gordon. The other defenders is Cash, Porro and Kabore.(Haaland and Archer for forward spots)
No.

Sarni

Ferguson or Pedro? Pedro seems to be playing more recently and is on penalties but with so many injuries he might move behind main striker.

CassiusClaymore

Is it Gaizka Mendieta?
Scout
Supports
The greatest team in history
Just a boring Walker > Gabriel for me as it looks like the latter could rise tonight and Udogie is a risk anyway.

Haven't decided on a hit for anyone yet. Will take a call on Maddison > Saka tomorrow as well as captains armband.

Bus team ..

Areola
Cash Gabriel Trippier
Gordon Maddison Son Diaby Salah
Haaland Alvarez