Books Fantasy Reads

Revan

Assumptionman
Any idea if it lines up with the final TV season which I think also starts soon? They did an amazing job on that imo.
No way. The story in the books is 30 years ahead of when the TV show stands.

Liking it so far the Leviathan Falls. However, I feel that I am gonna get disappointed. No way that they can bring justice to the story in a single book.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ah thanks both, interesting. The show ends this season right? I read the books before the show, but no idea how far I got.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Patrick Rothfuss has been teasing the prologue and a chapter of you know what all week on his Twitter if his charity funding targets were hit - I'm not up to date today but it's not happened as yet I don't think.

Revan

Assumptionman
Patrick Rothfuss has been teasing the prologue and a chapter of you know what all week on his Twitter if his charity funding targets were hit - I'm not up to date today but it's not happened as yet I don't think.
Wait, he wrote a prologue and a chapter in 10 years? Wow, he is getting fast.

Ainu

For some reason I thought there was going to be a 10th Expanse book and I'd have to wait another year to finish it. I'm halfway through book 8 so this is a nice surprise, means I'll finish the series before the end of the year.

It must've been the upcoming collection of short stories that is coming next year, which is listed as the 10th novel on wikipedia, that confused me. Did you guys read any of the short stories? Seems a bit pointless to read them after the complete saga as they're probably intended to be read in between, but if they're good, why not.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Too much about that woman chasing them, too few about the other things.

Felt that they did justice to Romans and Goths though.
Yeah, Tanaka was a meh character despite all the time spent building her up. Kit was another useless arc. Too many introspective sections drag down the pace and the part I was looking for, the Protomolucle was just drowned in science. It's like 80% of the book was just setting up the stage. Too few pages about Duarte himself, after 3 books of beefing him up. Very uneven storytelling.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Finished the Wisdom of Crowds. Reasonably dark first third - felt a little too close to some scenes in real life these days, obviously all borrowing from history too. Still, I love that the characters are what they are, and behave more or less in line with their 'true' selves, unapologetically. Pretty enjoyable.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Worth me starting the first kingkiller book yet? Or give it a couple more years?
I'd go for it if there was a definite date even within 2 years - they are worth reading twice imo.

But who knows. I watched the prologue read on the Twitch thing and it was short so who knows how much he still has to do.

He did seem in a better place however and raised over a million for an amazing cause and is doing things now he never would have revealed before so I will always live in hope.

Ainu

Yeah, Tanaka was a meh character despite all the time spent building her up. Kit was another useless arc. Too many introspective sections drag down the pace and the part I was looking for, the Protomolucle was just drowned in science. It's like 80% of the book was just setting up the stage. Too few pages about Duarte himself, after 3 books of beefing him up. Very uneven storytelling.
Just finished it, didn't feel satisfying at all to be honest. Tanaka was just a very unpleasant character with zero redeeming qualities on a pointless mission, why did we have to spend so much time with her? Kit was a waste of time as well. The whole conclusion just felt incredibly rushed, while at the same time the book felt like a lot of filler. It's a shame actually because the previous book was one of the best since the first couple of books, with a whole lot of just decent books in between. It gave me hopes for this finale. All things considered I'd have to say that this series never delivered on the promise of the excellent first novel.

By the way, thinking back on it, I'm actually surprised that

Filip never made another appearance. Not that I necessarily liked his character, I just found it odd.

Edit: oh and another thing about the ending

I just saw someone on reddit saying Holden had to choose between Destroy, Control or Synthesis. It did fecking feel like a ME3 level ending, didn't it? :lol:

celia

Agreed.

I suspect the book isn't even close to finished either, so I'm not sure the purpose behind releasing a single chapter.
Hyping more the charities he supports?

If I was interested by this series, I would start reading the first book one year before the last book is supposed to be released. I have noticed that for on-going series, I remember quite well the first book and often lot less the other books even if I read the previous book one year ago and the first one 3+ years ago.

Concerning Rothfuss' series, it seems someone either doesn't like it (so no loss if reading it now or later) or likes it and becomes more or less bitter or irritated about waiting (so it may be better to wait before starting the first book or accept there may not be a 3rd book).

--

I am currently reading City of Dragons by Robin Hobb. I knew it was the weakest series but it would have been weird for me to skip four books without at least giving a try.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
He can go feck himself.
Can't argue there.

Though in saying that, I'll still buy the book when/if it's finally released because I do enjoy his writing, though I anticipate it'll be an unmitigated mess.

Revan

Assumptionman
Can't argue there.

Though in saying that, I'll still buy the book when/if it's finally released because I do enjoy his writing, though I anticipate it'll be an unmitigated mess.
Let's face it, neither the third book in the Kingskiller, nor the sixth book in ASOIAF are ever gonna be finished.

In any case, the final book in Kingskiller Chronicles was not supposed to be the end of the story, but only open it up for the remaining saga (adventures of present Kvothe). Otherwise, would have been a depressing story, considering that now Kvothe is kinda powerless. In any case, academical, it is not gonna happen.

Ainu

I'm always a bit puzzled by The Kingkiller Chronicle's success. Granted, I only read the first book years ago, but that was the most hilarious wish fulfillment rubbish I've ever read. That bit where the main guy is playing the most difficult lute music piece in the history of the universe and still plays it a gazillion times better than any human ever despite pretty much all of the strings snapping and everyone being in tears, come the feck on! :lol:

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
I'm always a bit puzzled by The Kingkiller Chronicle's success. Granted, I only read the first book years ago, but that was the most hilarious wish fulfillment rubbish I've ever read. That bit where the main guy is playing the most difficult lute music piece in the history of the universe and still plays it a gazillion times better than any human ever despite pretty much all of the strings snapping and everyone being in tears, come the feck on! :lol:
I don't think it's a great series either (in fact book 2 was actually bordering on poor), but it's beautifully written.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Can't argue there.

He’s clearly spent the last decade reading the many extensive fan theories and speculation online and getting intimidated by them - either they’re better ideas than he has come up with and he wants to write them in, or speculation that had been correct and he’s decided to rewrite bits out.

Whatever it is, I definitely think that without the burden of his online community, their ideas and expectations, he would have released the book years ago.

It’s either that or the other theory is that he held back because of the TV contract (which I believe has fallen through) and part of his deal was to refrain from releasing the final book until it was beneficial to the producers of the TV show.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I recall he was suffering from depression and had trouble adjusting to demands of popular author as it was more of a lifestyle change than he was used to.

Anyways, I love the series. I won't die if it doesn't come out. But I'm happy to wait for it.

I'll back this more than Winds of Winter.

Bobski

Have to agree with some of the criticisms of Rothfuss, he produces, or produced the most beautifully written mediocre characters and story. Style well ahead of substance.

Would be a distant last for me in the decade long wait fantasy author experiment behind Martin and JV Jones.

Trying to think of an ideal fantasy writer Golem, Rothfuss's prose, Martin's plotting, Jordan's word building, Hobb's character work, Eriksen's scope, Sanderson's ending onslaught.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Imagine the carnage if Tolkien was around now, waiting 17 years in-between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Finished The Blacktongue Thief by Cristopher Buehlman. Cool, elaborate world building, interesting character, nice plot with good pace, action and interactions, a couple cool twists towards the end

Overall a really strong book, would reccommend

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Finished The Blacktongue Thief by Cristopher Buehlman. Cool, elaborate world building, interesting character, nice plot with good pace, action and interactions, a couple cool twists towards the end

Overall a really strong book, would reccommend
I thought it tried too hard to be funny. The MC was being an wiseass all book and I was tired of it with first 25%.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Lost the entire afternoon going through that :lol:

And still haven't finished :(