Books Fantasy Reads

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This is great news! I did not finish the series as my free time actually read is limited, but an audiobook would be great!

https://www.dreamscapepublishing.co...guide-to-evil-series-by-author-david-verburg/
Yes. Now if he could get out from yonder(been nearly 2 years since they published any new chapters btw, so maybe) and publish the final version in a way that doesn't involve predatort microtransactions....

I guess the webtoon is never happening either

Anyways, his new serial is pretty fecking amazing too so check it out. Pale Lights

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
In the end I just couldn’t do it. Made it 70% of the way through Ruin and now it’s idling away in my audible library. There’s just no joy in these books and it is exhausting.
I shared your frustration about the plot armour for the bad guys but I still really enjoyed the series and was glad I finished it. I was less enamored with the three books that came after those, but I still quite enjoyed them.

I'm listening to Empire of the vampire at the moment and that's really good so far (I'm about 5 hours into it) and I think it's the same narrator as the John Gwynn series.

DMacgraw

Just started reading The Sword of Kaigen by M.L. Wang last night., 20% in liking it so far.
Just finished The Sword of Kaigen. I enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind reading more stories in the same (Theonite) universe.

Though I was mildly surprised when I reached the end, it seemed so short to me. I guess I've become too used over the last couple of years to the mighty translated cultivation novels that go on for 1500-2000+ chapters!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Just finished The Sword of Kaigen. I enjoyed it, and wouldn't mind reading more stories in the same (Theonite) universe.

Though I was mildly surprised when I reached the end, it seemed so short to me. I guess I've become too used over the last couple of years to the mighty translated cultivation novels that go on for 1500-2000+ chapters!
SoK is great except for the last 5%. They should have stopped at end of plot and not added the melodrama at the end. I still felt Misaki was under utilized and could be more of a badass that she got to be.

Still a lovely read!

DMacgraw

https://www.amazon.com/Thousand-Boo...ation-ebook/dp/B091D9CZCY?ref_=ast_author_mpb

Free books. This is a Cultivation series, so for fans of old school Chinese martial arts stuff like Jet Li and Jackie Chan classics.
I dropped Tao Wong from my list of authors to read because he showed himself to be such a dreadful human being'
He copyrighted a common genre description term "system apocalypse" and asked Amazon to withdraw or refuse to publish books from other authors who used that genre description term.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I mean a copyright issue shouldn't be cause for a "dreadful human being". And it's widely acknowledged that he may not have coined the term, but his series is pretty much synonymous with it though!

For what it's worth....I disagreed with him, but It's not like other authors can't sell their books without this title. It's been known that he has copyright for long time yet authors ignored it and ended up here.

I've interacted with him and he's a decent person. If you do research more you'll find he writes lots of articles to help new authors in marketing strategies, monetization etc.

Over hyped Internet reaction.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Is this more wuxia or xianxia?

I love wuxia (read fan translations of almost all Jin Yong novels and watched tons of wuxia tv shows from mainland China) but I can't get into xianxia as much
Moderns books are hard to classify. I'd say this is a hybrid as we have a powerful warrior progressing from weak to strong as central plotline (wuxia). But it also has spirits and creatures which blend into xianxia.

It's free, so give book 1 a go and see if you like it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Just in case anyone missed it, there's new Malazan out :)

Beachryan

Book 4 of Path to Ascendancy?

It technically was our last year, but releasing in US just now, I think.

I'll be reading that after my current read.
No way! Wow, I feel so deprived :) So far so good. Though, at this stage it's been so long and there are so many characters I need to have a wiki open to recall them all.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Dunno what happened to ICE but the quality in PtA has spiralled downwards to an alarming degree. Dancer's lament was as good as the Malazan Empire books, deadhouse landing was a significant drop but still good, kellanved's reach was terrible. Written in a completely different style, with none of the depth of characterization, cinematic descriptions of scenes and scenery, and a really dry, uninspired plot.

Book 4 got the style back, but i've had it for a year and still haven't finished. For a comparison, I Inhaled The God is not Willing and have been giddily awaiting book 2 since

DMacgraw

Dunno what happened to ICE but the quality in PtA has spiralled downwards to an alarming degree. Dancer's lament was as good as the Malazan Empire books, deadhouse landing was a significant drop but still good, kellanved's reach was terrible. Written in a completely different style, with none of the depth of characterization, cinematic descriptions of scenes and scenery, and a really dry, uninspired plot.

Book 4 got the style back, but i've had it for a year and still haven't finished. For a comparison, I Inhaled The God is not Willing and have been giddily awaiting book 2 since
From Goodreads:
Only a decade later? Do any of the original Malazan characters, Ganoes Paran, Fiddler, Karsa Orlong, Icarium,...etc., appear in the book?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
From Goodreads:

Only a decade later? Do any of the original Malazan characters, Ganoes Paran, Fiddler, Karsa Orlong, Icarium,...etc., appear in the book?
Spindle is a PoV character. Otherwise, iirc no. Maybe in passing, but otherwise only get mentioned

Beachryan

Will agree that the Kellenvad/Dancer series is a bit...different, I think maybe it's just more approachable? The fourth book was good I thought, though it has the 'prequel' problem which I hate - characters that are in the later books are put in dangerous situations and you know they'll be fine.

quadrant

Finished reading The Sun Eater series. Enjoyable read.
I read the first one and really I liked the sort of Dune meets Book of the New Sun vibe, but it sagged in the second half. I have the second book ready to read, but I keep finding other books to read first.

DMacgraw

Talking about the ICE books:
I read the Malazan and ICE books well over 10 years ago, so I can't really remember most of the details, but which book was it where that oily priest who was behind the uprising against the Malazan Empire in the Seven Cities subcontinent (in Deadhouse Gates), who caused Coltaine's Malazan army to be wiped out, and who instigated the crucifixion of Coltaine and his surviving soldiers, was suddenly elected the Malazan Emperor? Orb Sceptre Throne, I think. I was so disgusted I swore to never touch another ICE book again, and I haven't read any of his following books.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
It was Return of the Crimson Guard

And the thing is, apparently
Mallick Rel turned out to be a good emperor, better than Laseen

Beachryan

It was Return of the Crimson Guard

And the thing is, apparently
Mallick Rel turned out to be a good emperor, better than Laseen
Hes also a major character in the latest book too. And bizarrely, pretty awful at organizing and running things. Strange they make him a 'good' character towards the end.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Re Mallick Rel and Lasseen

That was a big plot turn in The Bonehunters too iirc. Adjunct Tavore rebelling to protect the Wickans who were with Coltaine was all because of Rel forcing Lasseen's hand.

The whole death of Lasseen and role of Mallick Rel has never been addressed yet.