Books Fantasy Reads

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Is the narrator American? I've found I struggle with American narrators of fantasy books. British accents just seem to fit fantasy books so much better for me.
What?! Michael Kramer and Kate Reading are the quintessential voices of fantasy!

DMacgraw

The final entry (Book 12) in Will Wight's outstanding Cradle series came out a few days ago. Has anyone here read it yet, and how did you find it? I'm a few chapters away from finishing Er Gen's A World Worth Protecting. I'll start a re-read of the entire Cradle series as soon as I'm done AWWP <rubs hand in anticipation>.

Duafc

Village Lemon
The final entry (Book 12) in Will Wight's outstanding Cradle series came out a few days ago. Has anyone here read it yet, and how did you find it? I'm a few chapters away from finishing Er Gen's A World Worth Protecting. I'll start a re-read of the entire Cradle series as soon as I'm done AWWP <rubs hand in anticipation>.
Ah nice, feels like it's been ages. Didn't realize this was the last in the series. Will refresh on vol.11 and start this today!

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Waybound is awesome. Fast paced, lots of action, good character ARC development for many side characters and a lovely ending.

How's AWWP?

DMacgraw

Waybound is awesome. Fast paced, lots of action, good character ARC development for many side characters and a lovely ending.
How's AWWP?
Fantastic! Can't wait to get back into Cradle :D

AWWP is set in the same universe and follows similar trajectories as the other Er Gen novels, RI, ISSTH, PotT (which I've not yet read), and AWE. Indeed, Wang Lin, the MC of Renegade Immortal, plays a huge role in AWWP and Meng Hao of ISSTH is referenced in passing. That said, I enjoyed more the earlier novels, especially AWE.
You might recall that the climax of ISSTH is the battle between Meng Hao and Allheaven, and one of the important issues in that battle was the fact that Allheaven had formed different universes with his fingers, and that three of his fingers had been broken by powerful beings referred to as The God, The Devil, and The Demon. Well, The God is Wang Lin of RI, the Devil is Su Ming of PotT, and The Demon is Meng Hao of ISSTH. Allheaven is also referenced in AWWP.

DMacgraw

AWWP is set in the same universe and follows similar trajectories as the other Er Gen novels, RI, ISSTH, PotT (which I've not yet read), and AWE.
Finished AWWP.
Once again Er Gen used the last 10 or so chapters to turn the ending of AWWP into an interminable rumination on creation, the meaning the life, and other philosophical musings. The same thing ruined for me the ending of AWE, a book I otherwise loved, and also diminished ISSTH at the end. There's one more translated Er Gen novel I have yet to read, Pursuit of the Truth, but I doubt I'll read it. IET doesn't suffer from ER Gen's insistence on ruining the end of his books with boring philosophical musings, so my next few reads are likely to feature more of IET.

But first, Cradle re-read!
[/Spoler]

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Many thanks to those mentioning Cradle. On underlord now and it has been a super fun read.

Also, thank you @Edgar Allan Pillow for the alert on free kindle editions. I got those and as a bonus you can upgrade to add audiobook for $2.00 (at least through first 6 books)! So basically 6 audiobooks for $12!

Duafc

Village Lemon
Waybound was great, a bit rushed but that's the whole series identity really. Wouldn't say it was my favourite but a very satisfactory ending.

defeating Northstrider was top notch, similarly the Malice battle was excellent and emotional. Reigan Shen was a good battle throughout if a little dragged out however I would have liked a bit more of an even split between cradle and ascending. There was more to give outside of cradle in that final book - maybe that's a separate series and this one should rightly end soon after leaving cradle but I dunno.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Pat Rothfuss can go feck himself until Doors of Stone is released.

Anyway with that off my chest, I’m half way through The Wheel of Time with the final 6 audiobooks already in my library. I have 2 credits to use before I cancel my Audible membership for a while and am looking for some recommendations for that to read next if anyone could be so kind :)
Stephen King's Fairy Tale.

DMacgraw

Finished my re-read of the entire Cradle series following the release of the final book in the series, Waybound (Book 12). Overall, what a great and enjoyable series! The final book, Waybound, tied everything off nicely and left few, if any, sour notes behind*.
My only regret, though expected from all the previous buildup, is that Akura Malice died and, even more sadly, that she ended up being killed by her own daughter. Much as I disliked what a bad mother she was, and how she wanted to retain her own power to the exclusion of everything else, I still didn't want her own daughter to kill her. Just as Northstrider eventually saw reason and ascended, I would have wanted Malice to ascend instead of Mercy killing her.

DMacgraw

@DMacgraw I'm reading Lord Xue Ying and it's good. Not as good as AWE, but still good.
I'm into the first few pages of my next book after just finishing Waybound, Solo Levelling by Chugong. This is my first Korean cultivation novel. Actually, the choice of the next book came down to Solo Levelling or Lord Xue Ying, and I chose SL only because I wanted to experience a Korean perspective of cultivation fantasy. I'm looking forward to LXY if you found it good, thanks.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I'm into the first few pages of my next book after just finishing Waybound, Solo Levelling by Chugong. This is my first Korean cultivation novel. Actually, the choice of the next book came down to Solo Levelling or Lord Xue Ying, and I chose SL only because I wanted to experience a Korean perspective of cultivation fantasy. I'm looking forward to LXY if you found it good, thanks.
Solo Leveling is great. I've only read Vol 1 and really liked it.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Finally finished Lies of Locke Lamorra. Started it about 4 years ago but kept stopping to read other books. Really enjoyed it in the end. I’ve got book 2, so I’ll see you all in 2027 for my thoughts!

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Finally finished Lies of Locke Lamorra. Started it about 4 years ago but kept stopping to read other books. Really enjoyed it in the end. I’ve got book 2, so I’ll see you all in 2027 for my thoughts!
At the rate you're going you will probably on have to wait 5-10 years when you are caught up for book 4. Book 3 (the last book released) came out in 2013!!!!!! Lynch is on Mount Notreleasemore with Martin and Rothfuss.

Devil You Know

Woah, had no idea this thread existed! I love fantasy books.

For any WoT fans out there who haven't seen this, I've just watched a Brandon Sanderson Q&A about the final book. Some really interesting stuff in there, especially about Lanfear.

Last edited:

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
At the rate you're going you will probably on have to wait 5-10 years when you are caught up for book 4. Book 3 (the last book released) came out in 2013!!!!!! Lynch is on Mount Notreleasemore with Martin and Rothfuss.
This is why I largely worship at the Abercrombie alter

whitbyviking

Woe, had no idea this thread existed! I love fantasy books.

For any WoT fans out there who haven't seen this, I've just watched a Brandon Sanderson Q&A about the final book. Some really interesting stuff in there, especially about Lanfear.
Bookmarked this, will have a listen tomorrow. Be nice to have something positive to listen to about the series after what they did to it with that abomination of a TV show.

Bobski

It is delightful just how much care and affection Sanderson still has for WOT.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
Lynch has had some pretty significant health issues so I think he can have a pass.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Book 3 gets a relative slating but I really enjoyed it. The first one is superior of course.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Just finished up the Cradle series and a big thanks to everyone who recommended it!

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
I know it's not classic Fantasy in the spirit of this thread but I'm off on holiday tomorrow and have got the Thrawn trilogy. Read them when they were freshly published and can't remember a thing about the plot but only that I really enjoyed them so that's my holiday reading sorted. Shit - 25 years ago just realised.

DMacgraw

@DMacgraw I'm reading Lord Xue Ying and it's good. Not as good as AWE, but still good.
I finished Lord Xue Ying today. I found it fairly similar to other IET books (CD, DE, ST) in terms of the characters, power progression, fights, etc. To me, it is not quite as good as Desolate Era, but is in the same ballpark as Stellar Transformations. I'll probably read some other cultivation authors (Cuttlefish, I think) before coming back to IET.

DMacgraw

John Bierce released the final book in his excellent Mage Errant series in mid-May. I finally found time to do a complete series re-read, and I think the final book ended the series really well. I consider Mage Errant second only to Cradle among the Western progression fantasy stories. Highly recommended.

Next on my to-be-read list is another of the top-ranked mighty cultivation novels, Lord of the Mysteries by Cuttlefish.

Bobski

Humble Bundle have a fantastic bargain going on Tad Williams. Get the superb Otherland Series, Shadowmarch and the Memory, Sorrow and Thorn + Last King of Osten Ard sequels, all stone cold classics plus some excellent stand alones, all for less than £14. Only catch is that they are for Kobo so a bit of jumping through hoops if you want them on Kindle instead.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Lord of the Mysteries by Cuttlefish.
I've heard so much about this. Nearly started this myself a month ago before I got sidetracked into other books. Let me know how this goes.

John Bierce released the final book in his excellent Mage Errant series in mid-May. I finally found time to do a complete series re-read, and I think the final book ended the series really well. I consider Mage Errant second only to Cradle among the Western progression fantasy stories. Highly recommended.
Definitely +1. Loved all books and it had a perfect ending too!