Books Fantasy Reads

DMacgraw

Yep, i have created one ebook containing all the books. It's currently around 7.3k pages and 7MB in size. I used a handy Firefox plugin called "WebToEpub". It works better than any other software/website I've previously used.
Thanks, Rake. I tried to send you a pm but I kept getting error messages; would not accept anything greater than 420 characters! So, see below.
Thanks for your tip on WebtoEpub.

I added it to my Firefox and Chrome extensions, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to create an epub, as there seem to be no instructions and the interface is anything but intuitive. Hopelessly confused by the first chapter, last chapter buttons which do not accept urls, and the Pack Epub button which returns an error. Could help me with:
1. How do you create the blank book to store all of, say, A Practical Guide to Evil?
2. Do you add into the book at once all the published chapters of APTGE, and how do you do that?
3. If not, how do you add the individual chapters from the APTGE website as they are published?

For example, GrabMyBooks allows you to set up the epub with title, author, and cover, then you add chapter by chapter to the epub by going each chapter on the website and adding the whole page or the selected text. I see something similar with WebtoEpub, with spaces for input of title, author and cover, but the next step to add the chapters defeats me.

Thanks for your help

Rake

Thanks, Rake. I tried to send you a pm but I kept getting error messages; would not accept anything greater than 420 characters! So, see below.
Thanks for your tip on WebtoEpub.

I added it to my Firefox and Chrome extensions, but I'm having a really hard time figuring out how to create an epub, as there seem to be no instructions and the interface is anything but intuitive. Hopelessly confused by the first chapter, last chapter buttons which do not accept urls, and the Pack Epub button which returns an error. Could help me with:
1. How do you create the blank book to store all of, say, A Practical Guide to Evil?
2. Do you add into the book at once all the published chapters of APTGE, and how do you do that?
3. If not, how do you add the individual chapters from the APTGE website as they are published?

For example, GrabMyBooks allows you to set up the epub with title, author, and cover, then you add chapter by chapter to the epub by going each chapter on the website and adding the whole page or the selected text. I see something similar with WebtoEpub, with spaces for input of title, author and cover, but the next step to add the chapters defeats me.

Thanks for your help
- Navigate to the table of contents - https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/table-of-contents
- Enter the plugin interface. Starting URL should be - https://practicalguidetoevil.wordpress.com/table-of-contents/
- Enter title etc.
- The parser shows the posts (chapters) by the date of publishing. By default you will see the oldest ones first. If you reverse the order, you will see the newest first. The default is 10k chapters per epub.
- To create the file just click "Pack EPUB". Wait for it to complete and a dialog box will pop up asking you where to save the file.

3. There is no way to add new chapters to the epub via this plugin, but there is a merger located here - https://github.com/dteviot/MergeWebToEpub
Create a separate file with the new chapter/s and just merge it with the old one. Alternatively, you could just compile the whole book once again.

DMacgraw

I just finished watching the Live With Brandon Sanderson episode he ran right after this announcement. What a machine (in a wonderful way) this guy is!!!!

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
:lol:
I sent the link to my wife who replied with "I am already watching it right now!!"

We are now debating which bundle. :cool:
I would have liked to get the HC bundle (Have the HC of all the 4 Stormlight books) but the cost of that with the shipping to India is going to be prohibitively expensive :(

Last edited:

Rake

Confusing page. I don't see an executable file that you can click to run directly online or to download and install on a desktop. Help!
Sorry for the late reply. Just skip this one. Try some merger online and it should be fine. Can't recommend a specific site.

DMacgraw

Sorry for the late reply. Just skip this one. Try some merger online and it should be fine. Can't recommend a specific site.
No problem, my friend. I found an epub merger that is an extension in Calibre. Thanks.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Blokes - have recently finished and enjoyed muchly;

Prince of Thorns series
Jade City series
The First Law series
Dresden files
Night Angel trilogy
Lies of Locke Lamora

Others I can’t remember.

Any good recommendations along similar lines? Just started the Black Company but not loving it so far.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

Prince of Thorns series
Jade City series
The First Law series
Dresden files
Night Angel trilogy
Lies of Locke Lamora

Others I can’t remember.

Any good recommendations along similar lines? Just started the Black Company but not loving it so far.
I am still struggling with that one have tried starting it a few times.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United

Prince of Thorns series
Jade City series
The First Law series
Dresden files
Night Angel trilogy
Lies of Locke Lamora

Others I can’t remember.

Did you read the next 2 Gentlemen Bastard books? I enjoyed them all and really wish he would start publishing again, it has been 9 years!

Duafc

Village Lemon
Did you read the next 2 Gentlemen Bastard books? I enjoyed them all and really wish he would start publishing again, it has been 9 years!
Ye, always looking for series and always see them through (except some super long ones that just die a bit).

Agreed it really is up there as one of the goats for me!

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Prince of Thorns series
Jade City series
The First Law series
Dresden files
Night Angel trilogy
Lies of Locke Lamora

Others I can’t remember.

Sandman Slim

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
I have recently started collecting Star Wars Legends books and I am trying to read/collect them in chronological order. I'm currently reading The Lost Tribes of the Sith and really enjoying it so far.

Have any of you read any of the Legends stuff?

DavelinaJolie

I'd stick with it, I found it a bit heavy going at the beginning because he just kind of thrusts you into the world, by the end of the trilogy I was loving it.

Otherwise I quite liked the first three books in Lynn Flewelling's Nightrunner series.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Been absent for ages because of the great work of Rake - am still working through A Practical Guide to Evil and it is amazing. Can't recommend highly enough. Cannot believe this isn't a published work.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I have not touched a book in months since accidently stumbling onto Critical Role. I know it's not technically literature, but as an auditory story telling medium it is awesome. Already 87 episodes in (so like 300 hours????) with hundreds of episodes to go. As someone who rarely get the chance to read a physical book and relied on audiobooks this is not much of a swerve I guess. The imagination of the DM is up there with some of the best authors. Hell, Rothfuss guested on multiple episodes and you could see the awe in his face.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Been absent for ages because of the great work of Rake - am still working through A Practical Guide to Evil and it is amazing. Can't recommend highly enough. Cannot believe this isn't a published work.
Told ya :lol:

Where you at?

DMacgraw

Book series completed in the last few months:

Kim Harrison, The Hollows
Dead Witch Walking
The Good, The Bad and the Undead
Every Which Way but Dead
A Fistful of Charms
Verdict: Did not continue this 15-book series. Got fed up with the willful stupidity (death wish?) of the central character, but who constantly escapes what should normally be the fatal consequences of her choices.

Robert Jackson Bennett, Standalones
The Company Man
American Elsewhere
Verdict: The Company Man was okay, kind of a blend of science fiction and fantasy. But DNF American because it was straying too much into Horror, which I usually avoid

Robert Jackson Bennett, The Divine Cities Trilogy
City of Stairs
City of Blades
City of Miracles
Verdict: Great read, highly recommended

Will Wight, The Travellers Gate Trilogy
House of Blades
The Crimson Vault
City of Light
Tower of Winter (short Story)
Verdict: Cracking read, action-packed, highly recomended

Benedict Jacka, The Alex Verus Series
Fallen
Forged
Risen
Favours (short story)
Verdict: A great and satisfying conclusion to the 12-volume Alex Verus series, my second favorite urban fantasy series after The Dresden Files

Jack Vance, The Lyonesse Trilogy
Suldrun's Garden
The Green Pearl
Madouc
Verdict: good read, recommended

Will Wight, Elder Empire Saga
Of Sea and Shadow
Of Shadow and Sea
Of Dawn and Darkness
Of Darkness and Dawn
Of Kings and Killers
Of Killers and Kings
Verdict: Another great series by Will Wight. Unique presentation; each brace of books covers a series of events told from two opposing viewpoints. Highly recommended

Fonda Lee, The Green Bone Saga
Jade City
Jade War
Jade Legacy
Verdict: Excellent read, highly recommended

Will Wight, Cradle
Unsouled
Soulsmith (reading now)
Verdict: I'm only at the beginning of this uncompleted 10-book (so far) series, but I now trust Will Wight to deliver an unputdownable read

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I've started reading some web serials in Royal Road.

Wandering Inn by Pirate Aba - Starts off a bit slow, but man this is EPIC. so many plots weaved together brilliantly into a good story line. There are already some eBooks out for completed volumes.
Beware of Chicken by Casualfarmer - A slice of life fantasy book with a OP MC and a generally light and heart warming fantasy story. Really enjoyable and totally bingeable. eBook is out next month.
Paranoid Mage by Inadvisable Compelled - A super Urban Fantasy with a unique MC. Sets off from Page 1 and has been brilliant so far. eBook is out in Kindle. Still reading....

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
@DMacgraw Divine Cities is just plan spectacular. As are Will Wight's books. The good thing about Cradle is that each book is better than the previous one and by Book 3 it just blows up. Book 4 is one of my favourites!
+1 to this. I took @Edgar Allan Pillow ‘s advice and gave these a go and after some initial skepticism I was absolutely blown away. Top 5 series for me.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Just finished the Riyria Revelations series, very solid, the twists were painfully obvious but it didn’t really bother me.

DMacgraw

Cradle is seriously addictive. I finished the 10-book series and, while waiting for Book 11, started The Poppy War by R F Kuang. But I couldn't even get through Book 1 of The Poppy War, the story seemed so bland and uninteresting. Currently re-reading Cradle.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Cradle is seriously addictive. I finished the 10-book series and, while waiting for Book 11, started The Poppy War by R F Kuang. But I couldn't even get through Book 1 of The Poppy War, the story seemed so bland and uninteresting. Currently re-reading Cradle.
Try Defiance of the Fall and He Who Fights With Monsters. Both are good from start but pick up superbly after about 25%

Beachryan

Many months later, I'm STILL reading a Practical Guide to Evil. It's good. It's long. I love it.

Beachryan

Where you at?
Honestly, I don't really know! I'm refusing to look at the % complete bit on my kindle, and I don't have page numbers.
Am at the start of the campaign against Keter, following all the Grand Alliance negotiations and Kairos' swan song.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Honestly, I don't really know! I'm refusing to look at the % complete bit on my kindle, and I don't have page numbers.
Am at the start of the campaign against Keter, following all the Grand Alliance negotiations and Kairos' swan song.
Oooooh, some of my favourite chapters those.

Don't think i've seen the Undead Evil Necromancer trope carried to this extreme, and executed so well, before. Nessie really is a thing of horror

Are you keeping up with the extra chapters too? Just a heads up, you want to check those out too if you haven't yet

Last edited:

DMacgraw

Try Defiance of the Fall and He Who Fights With Monsters. Both are good from start but pick up superbly after about 25%
Defiance of the Fall is a completed serial so I have it ready to read after I finish Mage Errant and Arcane Ascension, which are next on my TBR list. Also high up on my TBR list are the completed serials Mother of Learning (by Nobody103), and A Practical Guide to Evil by David Verberg. The Wandering Inn is already over 9 million words and still going ... a daunting task that I intend to tackle only when it is finished. I intend to start a whole bunch of web serials currently on-going on Royal Road, but only when they are completed. Currently compiling:
Pale, by John C McCrae (Wildbow)
Heretical Edge, by Cerulean
The Gods are Bastards, by D D Webb
Metaworld Chronicles, by David J Wuto (Wutosama)
Savage Divinity, by Ruffwriter
Forge of Destiny, by Yrsillar

DMacgraw

Has anyone tried any of the translated Chinese cultivation serials on Wuxiaworld? There are some highly recommended serials like Lord of Mysteries, Kingdom's Bloodline, Coiling Dragon, Reverend Insanity, Re: Monarch, Renegade Immortal, I Shall Seal the Heavens, ..., etc. I would appreciate any comments on these completed serials.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Don't tell him that! He clearly doesn't want to know.
Huh. Took that more as a can't be bothered to check rather than don't wanna know. But ok, edited. Thanks for the heads up i guess...?

Duafc

Village Lemon
On the 3rd book after seeing this post. Very decent so far.