Books Fantasy Reads

stoinz

Just re-read the Wheel of Time series. The first 3 and the last 3 are awesome!
Not sure if it has been mentioned but here are my two recommendations:
1. Mike Carey's Felix Castor series
2. F Paul Wilson's Repairman Jack series.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
On audible, all of the first law books are narrated by Steven Pacey who is, arguably one of the best narrators I've ever heard.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I was a huge fan of the first law books, so much so the I picked them as my first suggestion for a mini book club my wife and I do. It had been my first reread in over a decade and;

They just don’t hold up. I mean, they’re not bad, they just aren’t as fantastic as I remember them being. The first book is the best by far and the second 2 just rush through a story that should have taken multiple more books to flesh out. My feeling is that at the time they were novel, at least to me. I read them pre-GoT and it was my first exposure to grimdark. Since then there have been so many fantastic new entries into the fantasy genre that they just lost their luster.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

I was a huge fan of the first law books, so much so the I picked them as my first suggestion for a mini book club my wife and I do. It had been my first reread in over a decade and;

They just don’t hold up. I mean, they’re not bad, they just aren’t as fantastic as I remember them being. The first book is the best by far and the second 2 just rush through a story that should have taken multiple more books to flesh out. My feeling is that at the time they were novel, at least to me. I read them pre-GoT and it was my first exposure to grimdark. Since then there have been so many fantastic new entries into the fantasy genre that they just lost their luster.
I reread them before my copy of The Wisdom of Crowds arrived, and i sincerely don't agree. The only thing that probably changed for me is that, now, i think i put the three stand-alone novels above both trilogies. There are some of the best fantasy characters ever written in those 9 books. And even though the element of surprise that comes with reading it for the first time is gone, it's nice to actually read a fantasy writer for whom prose isn't just a vessel to take the plot from point A to point B. Plus, i know that i'm in the minority, but i love Before They Are Hanged. Gokta and Cosca together and some of the best subverting of the genre's tropes. If i may ask, since you didn't give away anything, why the spoiler?

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
I reread them before my copy of The Wisdom of Crowds arrived, and i sincerely don't agree. The only thing that probably changed for me is that, now, i think i put the three stand-alone novels above both trilogies. There are some of the best fantasy characters ever written in those 9 books. And even though the element of surprise that comes with reading it for the first time is gone, it's nice to actually read a fantasy writer for whom prose isn't just a vessel to take the plot from point A to point B. Plus, i know that i'm in the minority, but i love Before They Are Hanged. Gokta and Cosca together and some of the best subverting of the genre's tropes. If i may ask, since you didn't give away anything, why the spoiler?
Mainly because, since it is my opinion on the books and everyone thinks differently, I did not want to unduly influence someone to read/not read them. I guess that cat is out of the bag based on your post :), so I can expound in the open. For whatever reason, on reread, it just felt hollow. Maybe it was because I had just finished the Divine Cities trilogy, which is some of the best writing I have encountered, but it just didn't hit me like I remember the first time I read it.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Mainly because, since it is my opinion on the books and everyone thinks differently, I did not want to unduly influence someone to read/not read them. I guess that cat is out of the bag based on your post :), so I can expound in the open. For whatever reason, on reread, it just felt hollow. Maybe it was because I had just finished the Divine Cities trilogy, which is some of the best writing I have encountered, but it just didn't hit me like I remember the first time I read it.
Oh, i figured that much but, then again, i've read posts in which people even give scores to books and i wasn't so sure. Anyway, i can agree that it's somewhat thin on "big events" and "magical extravaganzas", and it doesn't go into great lengths when it comes to talking about the lore of the world. These usually mean a great deal to most avid fantasy readers, but Abercrombie makes it clear early on that this is not his game. I don't know if you've read the second First Law trilogy, but - and this is the definition of a non-spoiler by the writer's choice - on the very first page of the first book, JA basically gives away the whole plot. Not of the first book, of the whole trilogy. It takes guts to do that and he pulls it off with the journey he takes his characters on. I'm in the minority, but i'll take that over Sanderson's 500 pages of "magic shite and battles everywhere" any day. Well, at least we can agree that The Divine Cities is one hell of a trilogy. Much recommended.

Last edited:

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Oh, i figured that much but, then again, i've read posts in which people even give scores on books and i wasn't so sure. Anyway, i can agree that it's somewhat thin on "big events" and "magical extravaganzas", and it doesn't go into great lengths when it comes to talking about the lore of the world. These usually mean a great deal to most avid fantasy readers, but Abercrombie makes it clear early on that this is not his game. I don't know if you've read the second First Law trilogy, but - and this is the definition of a non-spoiler by the writer's choice - on the very first page of the first book, JA basically gives away the whole plot. Not of the first book, of the whole trilogy. It takes guts to do that and he pulls it off with the journey he takes his characters on. I'm in the minority, but i'll take that over Sanderson's 500 pages of "magic shite and battles everywhere" any day. Well, at least we can agree that The Divine Cities is one hell of a trilogy. Much recommended.
Common ground! :)

To be clear, I don't think that it is a bad trilogy, just that it is missing something. That something is not magic or epic battle scenes (although it has those), as those are not what draws me into books. I think if I had to define what that "something" is it would be a deep and profound connection to the characters. My favorite fantasy novel is the Lies of Locke Lamoroa and by the end of that book I was totally and completely invested in Locke and Jean, so much so that I instantly restarted the Audible recording just so I could spend more time with them. In the Cities trilogy I was fully invested in each books main character and was heartbroken when the second and third books did not have the same main character...at least until I became enraptured by the "new" main character in each book. World building, magic systems, and epic story telling are all components of a fantasy novel, but for me the soul of the novel is the bond between reader and character. If that is present everythig else falls in place.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Common ground! :)

To be clear, I don't think that it is a bad trilogy, just that it is missing something. That something is not magic or epic battle scenes (although it has those), as those are not what draws me into books. I think if I had to define what that "something" is it would be a deep and profound connection to the characters. My favorite fantasy novel is the Lies of Locke Lamoroa and by the end of that book I was totally and completely invested in Locke and Jean, so much so that I instantly restarted the Audible recording just so I could spend more time with them. In the Cities trilogy I was fully invested in each books main character and was heartbroken when the second and third books did not have the same main character...at least until I became enraptured by the "new" main character in each book. World building, magic systems, and epic story telling are all components of a fantasy novel, but for me the soul of the novel is the bond between reader and character. If that is present everythig else falls in place.
More common ground, since you prefer character building! IMHO, Abercrombie's characters are one of his big pluses as a fantasy writer. Perhaps you agree more with my partner, who likes the books, but she also feels that his characters are straight out of Holywood big budget film scripts. I really like his characterization and how each of his main cast fights against his/her flaws and ends up embracing them or succumbing to them. And the stakes are always high for everyone because JA's world is a very cruel and unforgiving one. I guess this does the trick for me. The Lies of Locke Lamora is a book to which history will be very kind. One of the best fantasy novels ever written, as far as i'm concerned. My problem with the series is that nothing that followed could match the first book. Pretty good, by all means, but when you've had a taste of the sublime... I believe that Bennett's story is just so good that it can carry the characters (and their changes) on its own. Everything works and all the pieces seem to be in the right place. And his characters, well-written as they are, benefit massively from that.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
More common ground, since you prefer character building! IMHO, Abercrombie's characters are one of his big pluses as a fantasy writer. Perhaps you agree more with my partner, who likes the books, but she also feels that his characters are straight out of Holywood big budget film scripts. I really like his characterization and how each of his main cast fights against his/her flaws and ends up embracing them or succumbing to them. And the stakes are always high for everyone because JA's world is a very cruel and unforgiving one. I guess this does the trick for me. The Lies of Locke Lamora is a book to which history will be very kind. One of the best fantasy novels ever written, as far as i'm concerned. My problem with the series is that nothing that followed could match the first book. Pretty good, by all means, but when you've had a taste of the sublime... I believe that Bennett's story is just so good that it can carry the characters (and their changes) on its own. Everything works and all the pieces seem to be in the right place. And his characters, well-written as they are, benefit massively from that.
I think Lynch knows this as well as he is pulling a Rothfuss on the 4th book. The third book (RoT) was better than #2, but while both are great, they are not nearly as transcendent as Lies. Also, he apparently is a giant asshat.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
JA's characters are great, the only problem is aside from a very few select ones(Monza, Dogman) they tend to be giant arseholes you can't help but dislike and the worst part is some of those characters grow in good ways, become likeable and then shit happens and they either die or turn into horrible arseholes you want to see dead :lol:

GaryLifo

I think Joe's prose is actually incredible. There's also some terrific cadence to the way he brings back recurring lines for comedic effect.

That's the thing about....

And

Say one thing about....

Or

You have to be realistic...

SinNombre

I have book 1 of the first law, licanius and farseer series to start - let’s see how they pan out.

Sounds like I should give divine cities a go as well.

I think Lynch knows this as well as he is pulling a Rothfuss on the 4th book. The third book (RoT) was better than #2, but while both are great, they are not nearly as transcendent as Lies. Also, he apparently is a giant asshat.
I gave up in the middle of book 2 - maybe something to go back to but it felt so repetitive.

Lies is definitely amongst my top 5 favorite fantasy books as a stand-alone.

Surprised that some of you guys don’t like Sanderson. Words of Radiance and the Way of Kings are both excellent - he hasn’t able to maintain that quality sure.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

Robin Hobb is another one with a great prose. I'd suggest to anyone who might find The Farseer trilogy a bit slow, or even underwhelming at first, to stick with The Realm of the Elderlings and continue to the Liveship Traders and The Tawny Man trilogies. Some great books in there.

It's not that i don't like Sanderson. He's great at what he does (especially writing the magic systems), he's prolific and he finishes what he starts (yes, George and Patrick, i'm looking at you). It's just that i feel that his books are the equivalent of a popcorn action film. Always fun to read, but the characters don't really leap off the page. And i will always thank him for giving us an ending to the WoT. Although, somewhere in the middle of Towers of Midnight, i was already missing Jordan's medium-paced storytelling that allowed the reader time to reflect and take it all in.

On another note, George said that 75% of Winds of Winter is "roughly" done. He was hesitant to provide us with a date, though, because he expects that the final draft, the one that will survive the butcher's cleaver in the Editor's room, will still exceed 3000 pages.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I have somehow gravitated away from the 'mainstream' authors like JA and Hobb. Indie and Self Pub have some excellent gems and it's been a revelation to me.

Sanderson - Seems to follow RJ in having his books lose focus. In Stormlight, first 2 were great, 3rd was nice and I still haven't picked up the 4th (RoW).

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Ok, looking for a good Urban fantasy, any suggestions? Have read Dresden Files, Sandman Slim, Nightside, Rivers of London, Alex Verus, tried Iron Druid(it sucks) and a few more of that ilk and didn't like 'em

Doesn't have to be real world UF either, AU is fine, just so long as the setting is modern/futuristic(but preferably not space opera)

Bobski

Robin Hobb is another one with a great prose. I'd suggest to anyone who might find The Farseer trilogy a bit slow, or even underwhelming at first, to stick with The Realm of the Elderlings and continue to the Liveship Traders and The Tawny Man trilogies. Some great books in there.

It's not that i don't like Sanderson. He's great at what he does (especially writing the magic systems), he's prolific and he finishes what he starts (yes, George and Patrick, i'm looking at you). It's just that i feel that his books are the equivalent of a popcorn action film. Always fun to read, but the characters don't really leap off the page. And i will always thank him for giving us an ending to the WoT. Although, somewhere in the middle of Towers of Midnight, i was already missing Jordan's medium-paced storytelling that allowed the reader time to reflect and take it all in.

On another note, George said that 75% of Winds of Winter is "roughly" done. He was hesitant to provide us with a date, though, because he expects that the final draft, the one that will survive the butcher's cleaver in the Editor's room, will still exceed 3000 pages.
Agree with you about Sanderson, I like some of his books, Way Of Kings especially but outside of the WOT books I have never really felt the urge to re-read any of his work, his tells a good story, is excellent at building towards climaxes or crescendos but the actual writing always comes across as a bit functional, not something I can just luxuriate in. All about taste of course.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Try Paternus by Dyrk Ashton. It's a mythology based UF.

Got a slow YA type start, but persist for 100 pages or so and the book takes off. Lots of action.
Already tried. Was meh. Interesting and everything but after a while i dunno, kinda just lost my interest midway through the second book
Ethereal Earth by Josh Erikson is another good one.

Try superhero stuff? Lots of good UF there.
Superhero stuff is fine. Will give Ethereal Earth a look. Ta

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
Already tried. Was meh. Interesting and everything but after a while i dunno, kinda just lost my interest midway through the second book

Superhero stuff is fine. Will give Ethereal Earth a look. Ta
Forging Hesphestus (sp?) by Drew Hayes is a great take on the superhero genre. He is a prolific writer, so books in the series will keep coming.
He also wrote another superhero series, Superpowered’s I think, that was good, but FH and the sequel are really good.

Ainu

Going by Ainu’s review from earlier - just downloaded book 1 of the licanius trilogy from an earlier reco on this thread.

I haven’t read the first law books though have heard of them. Thanks - will give it a gander.
Might be worth mentioning that, despite my earlier comments, I'm still reading Farseer, albeit at a slower pace. I don't think you should dismiss it based on my post alone. I'd say it's at least worth a shot for the strength of its prose, world building and characterization.

On Licanius, I found the whole thing a bit meh. Not bad or anything, but fairly unremarkable in terms of writing and not the most interesting or developed characters, with one notable exception I guess.

Jotun

Regarding Joe Abercrombie, I fell in love in his writing so much, that it's hard to read anything else. His characters are great, his battle and fight scenes are awesome and he has a tendency to create these larger than life characters. Also the way he subverts expectations, particularly in first trilogy was excellent. Although now we all expect it from him. Finally, I never thought there could be a more epic character than Logen Ninefingers but then there was Whirrun.

On top of that, the guy has such a wicked sense of humor. Can't wait for The Devils.

mitChley

On Licanius, I found the whole thing a bit meh. Not bad or anything, but fairly unremarkable in terms of writing and not the most interesting or developed characters, with one notable exception I guess.
I read Licanius trilogy earlier this year and I'd agree with you. I found it completely unmemorable, I had to google the plot again to remind myself what happened.

I also just don't see the appeal in Joe Abercrombie's stuff, I think I posted in here saying I was halfway through The Blade Itself and wasn't captured by it at all, I finished the First Law trilogy and was glad to be done, I've zero motivation to read the next trilogy.

On the other hand I absolutely love Sanderson's stuff, I think I've read all but the odd novella. Just this week I've finished rereading the first 4 Stormlight Archive books and loved them even more than the first time I read them.

celia

Ok, looking for a good Urban fantasy, any suggestions? Have read Dresden Files, Sandman Slim, Nightside, Rivers of London, Alex Verus, tried Iron Druid(it sucks) and a few more of that ilk and didn't like 'em

Doesn't have to be real world UF either, AU is fine, just so long as the setting is modern/futuristic(but preferably not space opera)
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett even if the setting isn't that modern (there are trains and cars though)

GaryLifo

I read Licanius trilogy earlier this year and I'd agree with you. I found it completely unmemorable, I had to google the plot again to remind myself what happened.

I also just don't see the appeal in Joe Abercrombie's stuff, I think I posted in here saying I was halfway through The Blade Itself and wasn't captured by it at all, I finished the First Law trilogy and was glad to be done, I've zero motivation to read the next trilogy.

On the other hand I absolutely love Sanderson's stuff, I think I've read all but the odd novella. Just this week I've finished rereading the first 4 Stormlight Archive books and loved them even more than the first time I read them.
Fair enough, people have different tastes and that's great.

Some writers hit a tone with you (and Joe did with me) but others don't. For example, I really struggled with, and eventually gave up on 'Use of weapons' by Iain M Banks after absolutely loving 'Player of games'.

mitChley

Fair enough, people have different tastes and that's great.

Some writers hit a tone with you (and Joe did with me) but others don't. For example, I really struggled with, and eventually gave up on 'Use of weapons' by Iain M Banks after absolutely loving 'Player of games'.
I consider myself very lucky Sanderson is up my street as the man is so damn prolific there is always something on the near horizon to look forward too.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
City of Stairs by Robert Jackson Bennett even if the setting isn't that modern (there are trains and cars though)
Read it already, fantastic book but not what i would consider UF

SinNombre

Which novellas have you not read? I haven’t read his non-Cosmere stuff but finally finished white sand last week as the last unread cosmere story.

mitChley

Which novellas have you not read? I haven’t read his non-Cosmere stuff but finally finished white sand last week as the last unread cosmere story.
I've not read any of the Skyward novellas as it was the books I like the least of his, and I'm sure there is the odd one here or there that I've also missed.

Himannv

Regarding Joe Abercrombie, I fell in love in his writing so much, that it's hard to read anything else. His characters are great, his battle and fight scenes are awesome and he has a tendency to create these larger than life characters. Also the way he subverts expectations, particularly in first trilogy was excellent. Although now we all expect it from him. Finally, I never thought there could be a more epic character than Logen Ninefingers but then there was Whirrun.

On top of that, the guy has such a wicked sense of humor. Can't wait for The Devils.
I'm in a similar place because he's kind of ruined other fantasy novelists for me. I do get some of the criticism though - after about the 11th read you kind of see some common characteristics pop up in characters from different books. I feel his standalone novels (excluding Red Country) are his best works though as he seems less constrained when writing those. The Heroes is probably my favourite book of all time. Looking forward to The Devils!

GaryLifo

I've only ever read the first mistborne novel out of the Sanderson catalogue. I'm currently looking for something to use my audible credit on and was thinking of the way of kings. Can anyone who has already listened to the audiobook advise me whether the narrator is good given it's likely to be about 45 hours long? :lol:

Revan

Assumptionman
Might be worth mentioning that, despite my earlier comments, I'm still reading Farseer, albeit at a slower pace. I don't think you should dismiss it based on my post alone. I'd say it's at least worth a shot for the strength of its prose, world building and characterization.

With regards to Licanius, I think that the writing is mediocre (a bit like early days Sanderson), and the characters except Tal and the antagonists are very one-dimensional. But I think that the story continuously improved, and the last book did a wonderful job of tying up so many loose ends. The very last chapter is one of the most memorable things I’ve ever read, and gave me that bittersweet feeling that not many books give (Hyperion Cantos, Liveship Traders, Wheel of Time would be the others).

I also think that the relationship between Tal and Elliaria was so strong, despite it being up to the last chapter only in Tal memories. But yeah, outside Tal, there was not much interest from me.

WI_Red

Redcafes Most Rested
Supports
Atlanta United
With regards to Licanius, I think that the writing is mediocre (a bit like early days Sanderson), and the characters except Tal and the antagonists are very one-dimensional. But I think that the story continuously improved, and the last book did a wonderful job of tying up so many loose ends. The very last chapter is one of the most memorable things I’ve ever read, and gave me that bittersweet feeling that not many books give (Hyperion Cantos, Liveship Traders, Wheel of Time would be the others).

I also think that the relationship between Tal and Elliaria was so strong, despite it being up to the last chapter only in Tal memories. But yeah, outside Tal, there was not much interest from me.
Hyperion, for me, is in a class by itself for the gut punch(es) it delivers. Phenomenal writing.

Revan

Assumptionman
Hyperion, for me, is in a class by itself for the gut punch(es) it delivers. Phenomenal writing.
Indeed. And I am talking for the fourth book which has a phenomenal climax (the first one is obviously the best overall and the best sci-fi book).

GaryLifo

Indeed. And I am talking for the fourth book which has a phenomenal climax (the first one is obviously the best overall and the best sci-fi book).
Are the audio book versions good as well do you know? That audible credit is still unspent!

SinNombre

I've only ever read the first mistborne novel out of the Sanderson catalogue. I'm currently looking for something to use my audible credit on and was thinking of the way of kings. Can anyone who has already listened to the audiobook advise me whether the narrator is good given it's likely to be about 45 hours long? :lol:
If it is Michael Kramer, it is very good.

I have recently switched to audiobooks and he is a great narrator.