Books Fantasy Reads

The Bloody-Nine

If you liked The First Law, you'll like it. At the beginning I thought it was a little too similar, but it opens up into its own thing.

DMacgraw

DamnDamnDamnDamnDamn!!!!!

Worm just pulled the most absolutely mind-blowing world-ending role-reversal of all time!!! What a shocker! I'm completely speechless. About 3564 pages into the 'book', everything has been turned upside down, yet in a way that completely makes sense. Absolute genius (Wildbow, the author). There is now about 800 pages to go, and I can't imagine how it is all going to turn out.

Every fantasy fan should read this.

DMacgraw

Finished Worm. What a series! It goes straight into my Top 10, about the same level as The Dresden Files.

I am ready to start a new completed series while also following Part I of Oathbringer that TOR is providing for free on its website, and I am considering one of:
The Gentleman Bastard series by Scott Lynch
The Iron Druid Trilogy by Kevin Hearne
The Bartimaeus Sequence by Jonathan Stroud

I would appreciate any comments or suggestions on which of these is best. Alternative series suggestions are also welcome.

The Bloody-Nine

Book one of The Gentleman Bastards is great. The second is good. The third not so good. In fact, I didn't finish it. The series is set to include another four books so it's far from finished.

I haven't read the other two.

DMacgraw

Book one of The Gentleman Bastards is great. The second is good. The third not so good. In fact, I didn't finish it. The series is set to include another four books so it's far from finished.

Thanks for your input. I wasn't aware that Gentleman Bastard is incomplete. I already have ASOIAF and Stormlight Archive hanging, and I'm not in the mood to start another incomplete series (I've so far refused to read Rothfuss because of that), so that knocks out Gentleman Bastard for now. Anybody familiar with Iron Druid and/or Bartimaeus?

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Thanks for your input. I wasn't aware that Gentleman Bastard is incomplete. I already have ASOIAF and Stormlight Archive hanging, and I'm not in the mood to start another incomplete series (I've so far refused to read Rothfuss because of that), so that knocks out Gentleman Bastard for now. Anybody familiar with Iron Druid and/or Bartimaeus?
Have you read the Prologue and the first 3 chapters of Oathbringer on Tor? I read the Dalinar POV and the dialogue seemed a bit off to me. Even more than is usual for a normal Sanderson novel.

I have read Iron Druid and its great fun in the popcorn reading variety.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Anybody familiar with Iron Druid and/or Bartimaeus?
What harshad said. It's bit ott and not much of critical value, but as a entertainer, it's rock and roll fun. The interactions between Atticus (the hero) and his dog (Oberon) are my personal favourites. I love that series.

Bartimaeus is more YA about the wisecracking genie. I don't remember much, but it was one of favourites when I started fantasy series. It's a 4 book series and I only have good memories of it.

DMacgraw

Have you read the Prologue and the first 3 chapters of Oathbringer on Tor? I read the Dalinar POV and the dialogue seemed a bit off to me. Even more than is usual for a normal Sanderson novel.
I am one of the commenters on the TOR Oathbringer read, under a different handle. The (very young) Dalinar depicted in the POV is completely different in character, attitude and beliefs from the (older) Dalinar we know today. The in-book explanation is that the younger Dalinar was under the influence of The Thrill, 'powers' granted by one of the Unmade to turn selected Alethi warriors into unthinking blood-thirsty killing machines. Seen from that perspective, the book so far has not struck any discordant chords with me.

DMacgraw

I have read Iron Druid and its great fun in the popcorn reading variety.
What harshad said... Bartimaeus is more YA about the wisecracking genie. I don't remember much, but it was one of favourites when I started fantasy series. It's a 4 book series and I only have good memories of it.
Thanks to you both. Looks like the trick would be to 'clean the palate' so to speak with Iron Druid and Bartimaeus, and then tackle Worm once again in a few weeks. The more I think about Worm the more in awe I am of the story. Not only is it non-stop action across 20+ normal-sized books, but the overall story all hangs together in a way so many published and popular book series do not.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
I am one of the commenters on the TOR Oathbringer read, under a different handle. The (very young) Dalinar depicted in the POV is completely different in character, attitude and beliefs from the (older) Dalinar we know today. The in-book explanation is that the younger Dalinar was under the influence of The Thrill, 'powers' granted by one of the Unmade to turn selected Alethi warriors into unthinking blood-thirsty killing machines. Seen from that perspective, the book so far has not struck any discordant chords with me.
I should have been more clearer in that the bit that felt off to me was while reading chapter 1&2 and not chapter 3, which is the flashback chapter.

Runner

Im planning to pre-order Oathbringer this weekend. How are two enjoying it so far?

DMacgraw

So far, it is much as I expected. We have the prologue, which gives further details about the Gavilar assassination, from the point of view of the Parshendi (Eshonai). I liked the new insights into why and how the decision was made to assassinate Gavilar. The chapters released so far (1-3) merely show the aftermath of the big battle, how things are settling down, and the preparations for the everstorm with its accompanying voidbringers. As I said, it is so far what I expected. The Stormlight Archive is one of my favorite series.

Revan

Assumptionman
Any opinions on Sapkowski? To which authors could he be compared?
He's quite unique to be fair. The story follows for most part Geralt, but the content is very mature, and the politics is almost ASOIAF level.

I would highly recommend it, especially if you've played the games.

Anyway, I have taken a long break from reading and basically didn't read at all during my holidays (typically read several books while I am at beach). Time to get back in the third book of Malazan, and then I am thinking to start either Codex Alera or The Dagger and the Coin.

The only noteworthy book that will be released until the end of the year is Oathbringer and probably the seventh book of Expanse.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands

I enjoyed all of the Gentlemen Bastards books - am really looking forward to the new one.

Of course everyone will ba anticipating book 3 from Rothfuss but I can't see that happening for at least a couple of years.

Big fan of Joe Abercrombie as you know from the Newbie thread.

Other recommendations would include Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow trilogy and the Magicians series by Lev Grossman. One caveat being I tried watching the tv series based on it and I couldn't stand it - but I did enjoy the books themselves.

caid

I just finished the 8th book of Malazan.
It was good, I enjoyed it. More of the same really.
Crazy end and I like Kruppe as narrator
I'm going to take a break before reading the last two.

The Bloody-Nine

I enjoyed all of the Gentlemen Bastards books - am really looking forward to the new one.

Of course everyone will ba anticipating book 3 from Rothfuss but I can't see that happening for at least a couple of years.

Big fan of Joe Abercrombie as you know from the Newbie thread.

Other recommendations would include Anthony Ryan's Raven's Shadow trilogy and the Magicians series by Lev Grossman. One caveat being I tried watching the tv series based on it and I couldn't stand it - but I did enjoy the books themselves.
Glad to see you've been promoted, old bean.

I am going to try The Dresden Files after I finish A Crown For Cold Silver.

The Cat

Glad to see you've been promoted, old bean.

I am going to try The Dresden Files after I finish A Crown For Cold Silver.
You too pal.

I will add Dresden to my list I think. Am building up quite a library.

I am ingrigued by a previous post about a "Worm" book - it sounds quite incredible will have to look that one up.

The Bloody-Nine

You too pal.

I will add Dresden to my list I think. Am building up quite a library.

I am ingrigued by a previous post about a "Worm" book - it sounds quite incredible will have to look that one up.
I think it's an online only thing, from what I've seen in this thread. Sounds pretty weird.

The Cat

Will have a look for a download when I've finshed the current book I think.

Also got The Black Company lined up.

The Bloody-Nine

I don't think it's a download. I mean it's written online and updated on a regular basis. I could be wrong but that's the impression I got.

The Bloody-Nine

Yeah, it's a 'web serial.'

Worm is a self-published web serial by John "Wildbow" McCrae that subverts common tropes of superhero fiction. It is one of the most popular web serials on the internet,[4][5] with a readership in the hundreds of thousands.[2] It was McCrae's first novel.[6]

Worm features a bullied teenage girl, Taylor, who develops the superpower to control worms, insects, arachnids and other simple lifeforms.[7][8] Using a combination of ingenuity, idealism, and brutality, she struggles to do the right thing in a dark world filled with moral ambiguity.[9][10]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Worm_(web_serial)

Tim Henman

Come on Tim!
I actually have a Kindle version of Worm. Can send it to anyone privately, but try not to post it online anywhere as the author wants to publish the series some day and ebook copies floating around will hurt his chances apparently.

Cnaiür urs Skiötha

He's quite unique to be fair. The story follows for most part Geralt, but the content is very mature, and the politics is almost ASOIAF level.

I would highly recommend it, especially if you've played the games.

Anyway, I have taken a long break from reading and basically didn't read at all during my holidays (typically read several books while I am at beach). Time to get back in the third book of Malazan, and then I am thinking to start either Codex Alera or The Dagger and the Coin.

The only noteworthy book that will be released until the end of the year is Oathbringer and probably the seventh book of Expanse.
Thanks. Just ordered books 1 - 7.

Also the whole Shattered Sea and Book of Words trilogies.
Together with the complete Crown of Stars series and the remaining Shadowmarch books I think I will be fine for the whole next year.

Dagger and Coin is great.

Codex Alera is on my list too but I hope it is not too simplistic/juvenile.

DMacgraw

@C.U.S., Codex Alera is anything but juvenile. It is intense graphic violence from the very first chapter to the end of the 6-book series. If that kind of thing is to your taste, you'll love it.

@Revan and @edgar, Memories of Ice is my favorite Malazan book as well. Revan, you might find it a little easier to follow because you are already familiar with the characters from Gardens of the Moon.

I am following the free chapters of Oathbringer being serialized on TOR and I have the feeling it is going to be a great book.

DMacgraw

I am reading Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanne Clarke. The first 10 or so chapters have been such a drag. I thought I read a recommendation on this board that it is full of humor, or am I mistaking it for something else? Has anybody here read it, and does it get any better?