Books Fantasy Reads

TheSamulator

classic sam. they love me, tbh
I finally finished The Way of Kings last night. Only really got 'hooked' towards the end of the book when the pace started to pick up somewhat. Until like 70% of the way through i was constantly questioning whether i should bother carrying on. I'm glad i did in the end though and i'm excited to see what comes next.

Have to say though, sometimes some of the conversations are pretty hard to read. They sort of read like Sanderson's trying to be waaaaaay too clever and not really succeeding at it.

Revan

Assumptionman
The aspect emperors conclusion really dissapointed me. I liked the idea of it, but so much of Bakkers writing is intentionally vague to a degree that leaves me frustrated.

I think the thing that really was lacking was the Kellhus PoV we didnt get for like 3 books. I think a little more of his thought processes could have opened up a lot of clarity to things that frustrated me.

Ah well, maybe his continuation of the books would answer some things.
I think that the ending of it was great, but I didn't like the saga as much as the first trilogy.

The dark and grim stuff was also too much for my liking. I was already having some trouble in the first trilogy (which makes the likes of Lawrence and Abercrombie look like cute puppies in comparison), but the second saga here was really exaggerated in that aspect.

Obviously, I am gonna read the third saga in the second Apocalypse and see how this is gonna be concluded. Not a big fan of the writer though, usually I like fantasy/Sci-fi books where philosophy is part of the story. In these books, the story is just an encapsulation for the philosophy the author wants to tell.

The Bloody-Nine

I finished Kings of the Wylde. Where to begin. I liked certain aspects of it (some of the characters, and I thought the Heartwylde was a cool concept) and I disliked other aspects. It occasionally strayed over the line of what I like in my fantasy books, in terms of prose. Modern slang, modern sayings, that kind of thing. Not nearly as bad as A Crown for Cold Silver, which pissed me off to the point where I binned it, but still occasionally jarring. I'm not sure if mixing in so many different monsters worked in the end. Examples from Greek Mythology, your classic fantasy goblins, ogres, etc, etc. It was all just a little too much by the end, I thought. Almost comic book-esque.

The next one is out in April, but I'm not sure if I'll pick it up. I'm not even sure if it's a direct sequel, going by the title.

Last edited:

DMacgraw

Yup. Oberon is just so much fun.
Absolutely. I was reading Book 4 yesterday, and I laughed aloud and spent the rest of the day chuckling to myself about Oberon being assessed a negative 20 sausages penalty for making a bad Schwartzenneger pun!

DouLou

Been caught pooping
I think that the ending of it was great, but I didn't like the saga as much as the first trilogy.

The dark and grim stuff was also too much for my liking. I was already having some trouble in the first trilogy (which makes the likes of Lawrence and Abercrombie look like cute puppies in comparison), but the second saga here was really exaggerated in that aspect.

Obviously, I am gonna read the third saga in the second Apocalypse and see how this is gonna be concluded. Not a big fan of the writer though, usually I like fantasy/Sci-fi books where philosophy is part of the story. In these books, the story is just an encapsulation for the philosophy the author wants to tell.
He seems to have written these books for a very small following and I think it shows. I get what ya mean about the darkness of it, I think my main issue with the book is all his characters felt so cold and interchangeable. Like none of them had that kind of depth that made you really get to know them? It's ok though, even if I didn't fall in love with the characters I did fall in love with the world itself.

I dunno, with time for it to settle in I have come to appreciate it a bit more. It's certainly something unique. I think the whole time
I was expecting Kellhus to have some masterplan and I wanted to see it come into fruition, but his whole plan became undone by a God possessing him at the final hour. It's a bit anti-climatic because this God was never really brought to the front as a main antagonist. I know Bakker dropped hints and stuff, and in the end you can kinda see where it came from. But it just felt like a real let down to have this character be one-upped in such a way

Ah well. Maybe a sequel can bring some closure. I think Bakker can definitely go further into the story now that the Gods have really been brought into it.

Revan

Assumptionman
The third book in Codex Alera was really, really good. Enjoyed it much more than the first two books, and I am going to start the fourth book immediately.

DMacgraw

Codex Alera is somewhere in the middle of my top 10 best fantasy series, along with Jim Butcher's other series, The Dresden Files. From the first page of Book 1 to the last page of book 5, Alera is breathless non-stop action. The only series I have read that tops Codex Alera in terms of intense action is Worm. I am astounded that it isn't more prominently discussed in the Fantasy community (perhaps the huge popularity of The Dresden Files overshadows it?).

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Finished City of Blades. Outstanding read.

A story which sublimely blends a investigation story with the Divine in a Fantasy land. . Spot on! Perfect blend of action and story telling. Crisp and efficient writing.

Exceptional world building and character development.

Now to start City of Miracles, the final book in the trilogy.

Highly recommended!

Last edited:

celia

I finished The Fall of Dragons by Miles Cameron, the 5th and last book of The Traitor Son Cycle. I am more glad to be done with this series, especially since I felt like I forgot half of what happened in book 3 and 4 and this last book didn't really have slow moments.

I really liked the two first books but I am unsure of the three last. That makes me want to delay Oathbreaker until book 5 is close. It was quite surprising I forgot so much of book 4 of The Traitor Son when I read it one year before.

I will probably read City of Blades soon since I really liked the first book.

Revan

Assumptionman
Codex Alera book 3 was really great, and the fourth book was decent. However, the fifth book suddenly became a bad midless copy of the Wheel of Time, and the sixth book seems to be even worse so far.

Have read only a quarter of the final book so far, and I was seriously tempted to just stop reading it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
City of Miracles
(Divine Cities Book #3)

A fitting end to the trilogy. It's far shorter than the previous two books and content seems a bit thin. Despite being a very good read, I'd put this as the weakest of the trilogy. Again conflicted emotions on the climax, though I loved the read. Leaves the world open for another trilogy, if needed. I hope so!

One of the best trilogies, I've read. Very refreshing change from epic fantasy!

Revan

Assumptionman
Finished Codex Alera. The last book was better than the previous one, but not as good as book 3 or 4. It also looks a lot like Wheel of Time, but significantly worse in every aspect.

As a saga, while it might be worth it just for books 3 and 4, I still would not recommend it to anyone.

Revan

Assumptionman
I never knew that 144000 number in the Second Apocalypse comes from Jehowa Witnesses.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin

Finished Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim. A light potboiler fantasy in the mould of Dresden Files. Hero is a half-human (Angel dad, human mom) magician who is caught in cosmic politics. Has lots of action, magical fights between demons, angels and everything else in between.

It's probably like Dresden starring John McClane. Action packed, but not really of critical value. Just pure fun.

Last edited:

DMacgraw

@Edgar Allan Pillow
I have not read much horror/supernatural other than The Exorcist and The Omen decades ago. My most recent foray into that genre was the webserial Pact by Wildbow, after I finished his first superlative webserial Worm. But I couldn't really get into Pact because I found the subject matter (witchcraft, the occult, horror) repellent. However, I absolutely love The Dresden Files and, most recently, The Iron Druid Chronicles, which are mostly fantasy with some light touches of the supernatural. I am intrigued by your characterization of Sandman Slim as a cross between Dresden and Supernatural TV. Where would you draw the line between the two? Bearing in mind my love of Dresden and dislike of the occult, is Sandman something you think I would like?

I am now on the 9th book of the Iron Druid Chronicles (Besieged). I have really enjoyed the series and would strongly recommend it. After Iron Druid I plan to start the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka, which is claimed to be in the vein of Dresden and even has a recommendation by Jim Butcher on the covers.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Edgar Allan Pillow
I have not read much horror/supernatural other than The Exorcist and The Omen decades ago. My most recent foray into that genre was the webserial Pact by Wildbow, after I finished his first superlative webserial Worm. But I couldn't really get into Pact because I found the subject matter (witchcraft, the occult, horror) repellent. However, I absolutely love The Dresden Files and, most recently, The Iron Druid Chronicles, which are mostly fantasy with some light touches of the supernatural. I am intrigued by your characterization of Sandman Slim as a cross between Dresden and Supernatural TV. Where would you draw the line between the two? Bearing in mind my love of Dresden and dislike of the occult, is Sandman something you think I would like?

I am now on the 9th book of the Iron Druid Chronicles (Besieged). I have really enjoyed the series and would strongly recommend it. After Iron Druid I plan to start the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka, which is claimed to be in the vein of Dresden and even has a recommendation by Jim Butcher on the covers.
On second throught, I'd take Supernatural away as it has no horror elements. More of Dresden/McClane hybrid very similar to Dresden. The story has less emotional content than Dresden, but follows similar theme as fight between good vs evil with sandman caught inbetween but fitting into neither side. If you liked Dresden and Iron Druid, you'd like this.

As for Benedict Jacka, I read the first book "Fated" Was decent, but somehow never felt the urge to continue on with the series. Maybe I'll give the second book a whirl something later.

Another series that may interest you is Nightside by Simon R Green.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!

Finished Richard Kadrey's Sandman Slim. A light potboiler fantasy in the mould of Dresden Files. Hero is a half-human (Angel dad, human mom) magician who is caught in cosmic politics. Has lots of action, magical fights between demons, angels and everything else in between.

It's probably like Dresden starring John McClane. Action packed, but not really of critical value. Just pure fun.
I read today that a movie with this name is in production. Is it based on this book or just a coincidence

DMacgraw

On second throught, I'd take Supernatural away as it has no horror elements. More of Dresden/McClane hybrid very similar to Dresden. The story has less emotional content than Dresden, but follows similar theme as fight between good vs evil with sandman caught inbetween but fitting into neither side. If you liked Dresden and Iron Druid, you'd like this.

As for Benedict Jacka, I read the first book "Fated" Was decent, but somehow never felt the urge to continue on with the series. Maybe I'll give the second book a whirl something later.

Another series that may interest you is Nightside by Simon R Green.
Thanks. Who is the McClane you refer to above?

After the 9-book Iron Druid series I will probably read something else before I get back into urban fantasy. I am thinking of the Hyperion Chronicles based on recommendations in this thread, but I could also check out traditional epic fantasy series, and I have on my list His Dark Materials (Philip Pullman), The Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne (Brian Staveley), The Powder Mage Trilogy (Brian McClellan), and The Grim Company (Luke Scull). Based on your recommendation I am putting on my urban fantasy reading list the Sandman Slim and Nightside series along with Alex Verus.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Just about to start Book 6 in the WoT series. It's definitely got it's hooks into me. The world building and magic system are so well fleshed out and I can tell it's only going to get grander in scale. I am getting a bit bored of this whole "Men think women are so confusing and irrational" and "Women think men are so dumb and simple" thing going on with a few of the main characters. I mean I do get they are all a bit young but it feels like this is something that won't really ever go away. I can handle it but I really wish I wasn't constantly reminded how the opposite sex seems to find each other so confusing. Anyways, great stuff so far... I guess I won't be reading anything else for a few months yet.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
I mean I do get they are all a bit young but it feels like this is something that won't really ever go away. I can handle it but I really wish I wasn't constantly reminded how the opposite sex seems to find each other so confusing.
Yeah, that's annoying, but since women Aes Sedai have been in charge for long time and men have been blamed for saidin taint and everything that superiority complex runs throughout the series.

Revan

Assumptionman
Just about to start Book 6 in the WoT series. It's definitely got it's hooks into me. The world building and magic system are so well fleshed out and I can tell it's only going to get grander in scale. I am getting a bit bored of this whole "Men think women are so confusing and irrational" and "Women think men are so dumb and simple" thing going on with a few of the main characters. I mean I do get they are all a bit young but it feels like this is something that won't really ever go away. I can handle it but I really wish I wasn't constantly reminded how the opposite sex seems to find each other so confusing. Anyways, great stuff so far... I guess I won't be reading anything else for a few months yet.
Worse part of the series is exactly that. And it won't get (much) better in that aspect.

SmashedHombre

Memberus Anonymous & Legendus
It's one of the reasons I gave up on the WoT series multiple times tbh. It just made me start disliking most of the characters for continuing with that nonsense when the whole world was falling apart.

DMacgraw

I am getting a bit bored of this whole "Men think women are so confusing and irrational" and "Women think men are so dumb and simple" thing going on with a few of the main characters.
Look on this way, and it is referenced by @Edgar Allan Pillow above. Even in our own world, where men have been the dominant gender for most of our common history, statement #1 is a fairly common sentiment among many men and statement #2 is also common among some women who feel superior to men. Now consider a society where the gender roles are reversed, where women have been the dominant gender and men have been considered as cock ups for over three thousand years. Under such circumstances I would expect statement #1 to be even more prevalent among men, who have been subservient to women for over three thousand years, and statement #2 to be near universal among women, who have been the top dogs for all that time. Male WoT readers may find the frequent expression of these sentiments somewhat annoying, but I submit that it is logically consistent and an accurate reflection of the WoT society.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Finished City of Blades. Outstanding read.

A story which sublimely blends a investigation story with the Divine in a Fantasy land. . Spot on! Perfect blend of action and story telling. Crisp and efficient writing.

Exceptional world building and character development.

Now to start City of Miracles, the final book in the trilogy.

Highly recommended!
Thanks for this, just read the trilogy and it's probably the most I've enjoyed one since the Locke Lamora series. Really good stuff. Authour hasn't really written much else either, which is impressive!

DMacgraw

Finished the books published to date (8 so far with the 9th due out later this year) in the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka.
The series tackles issues that are generally smaller than and less complex than in The Dresden Files or perhaps even the Iron Druid Chronicles, but I quite enjoyed the series all the same. Iron Druid is scheduled to wrap up on 9th book coming up, and indeed it looks like Kevin Hearne has already started a new series and is moving on. But, from the way things are going with Alex Verus, I think the series has a few more books in it. I would rate the Alex Verus series at approximately the same level of enjoyment as the Iron Druid Chronicles (other tastes may vary).

DMacgraw

I am about 50 pages into Book 1 of the Hyperion Cantos, and I'm not getting into it. Maybe it is just because I am not partial to travelogues, which is more or less what has been happening so far. I hope it get much better soon, because I'm bored.

Revan

Assumptionman
I am about 50 pages into Book 1 of the Hyperion Cantos, and I'm not getting into it. Maybe it is just because I am not partial to travelogues, which is more or less what has been happening so far. I hope it get much better soon, because I'm bored.
It probably isn't for everyone. If you don't like a bit philosophy, history of religion and just intrigue in general, then you probably won't like it that much.

It is by far my favorite sci-fi series of books.

DMacgraw

@Revan: thanks. I have a long, long list of books and series on my fantasy reading list, not to mention the previously-read books I would like to revisit some day, such as Worm, so I don't want to regret a lot of time spent on a book that turns out not to my tastes.

Beachryan

It probably isn't for everyone. If you don't like a bit philosophy, history of religion and just intrigue in general, then you probably won't like it that much.

Just to back this up, it's number 1 on my list of series. I'm so envious of people that haven't read it, because you get the chance to for the first time :) I'd stick with it for at least the first couple hundred pages or so, at least til the real stuff gets going.

Another of his books is being turned into a TV show premiering soon - the Terror. Good book, good cast, no idea if the show will be good.

Kearnkoff69

Try to stick with it if you can. Hyperion flipped a switch in my brain in a way most art is incapable of. It started slowly for me, but once I got into it I was so hooked that I ended up reading the whole series. It's incredible.

Kearnkoff69

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Dark Tower series is one of the best books I've ever read.

Beachryan

Just finished the two 'Malazon prequels' by Ian Esslemont. Pretty good, found it far more approachable than the main series. Really wish I'd read these before the actual series, would make the later stuff a lot more meaningful.

Anyone read any of his other stuff? Trying to decide if it's worth it, or should start something else.

DouLou

Been caught pooping
Don't know if it's been mentioned, but the Dark Tower series is one of the best books I've ever read.
I loved the world, the characters, the journey, but Stephen King really fecked up his two main villains in that book.
Randall Flagg goes out like a chump to another antagonist I really couldn't give two shits about, and the Crimson King is just some looney stuck on a balcony
. The ending itself was ok by me, didn't love it or hate it but it kinda worked.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs

Just to back this up, it's number 1 on my list of series. I'm so envious of people that haven't read it, because you get the chance to for the first time :) I'd stick with it for at least the first couple hundred pages or so, at least til the real stuff gets going.

Another of his books is being turned into a TV show premiering soon - the Terror. Good book, good cast, no idea if the show will be good.
Would you two recommend Hyperion to someone that doesn't like JRR Tolkien but does like George Martin, Frank Herbert and Rogers Zelazny?

Beachryan

Would you two recommend Hyperion to someone that doesn't like JRR Tolkien but does like George Martin, Frank Herbert and Rogers Zelazny?
I've not read anything other than the original Dune, but have read all of GoT and the nine princes of amber. I'd say Hyperion is definitely more, erm, philosophical than any of those. Good action and mystery to for sure, but it's deeper I'd say. More adult and difficult too.

As I think I posted earlier, that series marked me as almost the 'best' of sci fi fantasy. Little bit like when I finally finished the Malazan Books of the Fallen just had to say, yep, not a lot more an authour can do with regards to that kind of military fantasy/world building. Can't recommend either enough.