Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

Moby

Dick
anything but Kempes at 10 is a waste IMO. He is defensively hard working too so really good player to have in there IMO.
It's not really a waste, though. I can understand where you are coming from and surely he will add more to the midfield battle than Hidegkuti, but Kempes was a really complete and versatile attacking player. Over here, he is playing off Romario, an inside forward if you will, which is well suited for him, given his high levels of mobility and work rate. He was never a traditional number 10.

Moby

Dick
The guy who man marked Eusebio in the World Cup!

Nobby Stiles

Pol 1. Maradona 2. P. Maldini 3. Breitner 4. Zizinho 5. Boniek 6. Ocwirk 7. Zito 8. Ferdinand 9. Cohen 10. Careca 11. Gregg
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. Cristiano Ronaldo 7. Lev Yashin 8. Lúcio 9. Leandro 10. Grosso 11. Sneijder
Aldo 1. Garrincha 2. Romário 3. Scirea 4. Gentile 5. Kempes 6. Ballack 7. Lizarazu 8. Burgnich 9. Hidegkuti 10. Danilo 11. Stiles
Theon 1. Beckenbauer 2. Zico 3. Baggio 4. Kohler 5. R. Carlos 6. Socrates 7. Andrade 8. Van Hanegem 9. Maier 10. Piola
Rpitroda 1. Zidane 2. Masopust 3. Varela 4. Desailly 5. Batistuta 6. Nasazzi 7. Figo 8. Zoff 9. Eyzaguirre 10. Hagi
Paceme 1. Platini 2. Rijkaard 3. Djalma Santos 4. Thuram 5. Tigana 6. Ademir 7. Cabrini 8. C. Maldini 9. Clodoaldo 10. Voronin
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo 2. Cannavaro 3. Rivaldo 4. Brehme 5. Vieira 6. Coluna 7. Schiaffino 8. Kahn 9. Julinho 10. Mauro Ramos
Desert 1.Moore 2. Meazza 3. Passarella 4. Busquets 5. Makélélé 6. Pirlo 7. Messi 8. Caniggia 9.Branco 10. Grosics
Annah 1. Didi 2. Iniesta 3. Ronaldinho 4. Stoichkov 5. Leonidas 6. Lahm 7. Vicente Lucas 8. Bellini 9. Stam 10. Zambrotta
Crappy/Pippa 1. Fontaine 2. Krol 3. Kopa 4. Vogts 5. Dunga 6. Ruggeri 7. Tarantini 8. Leonel Sanchez 9. Mauro Silva 10. Ricardo Zamora
Fergus 1. Matthäus 2. Falcao 3. Rivelino 4. Nilton Santos 5. Karlheinz Förster 6. Chumpitaz 7. Tostao 8. Manuel Amoros 9. Banks 10. Rummenigge
Balu/NM 1. Cruyff 2. Jairzinho 3. Carlos Alberto 4. Davids 5. Silvio Marzolini 6. Frank de Boer 7. Forlan 8. Gilmar 9. Ceulemans 10. Haan
Anto 1. Puskas 2. Neeskens 3. Bozsik 4. Czibor 5. Ghiggia 6. Junior 7. Mazurkiewicz 8. Gamarra 9. Seeler 10. Chilavert
Gio. 1. Eusebio 2. Figueroa 3. Laudrup 4. Xavi 5. Keane 6. Da Guia 7. Briegel 8. Lato 9. Zagallo 10. Jorginho
Cutch 1. Müller 2. Facchetti 3. Cafu 4. Santamaría 5. Cubillas 6. Bergomi 7. Monti 8. Nesta 9. F Albert 10. F Walter
TITO 1. Charlton 2. Baresi 3. Zanetti 4. Schnellinger 5. Tardelli 6. Paolo Rossi 7. Perfumo 8. Vavá 9. Gascoigne 10. Cerezo

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Surprising pick Aldo, did you just pick Stiles to be a sub?

Both Danilo and Stiles were on my shortlist for the last midfield space (going for someone else though)

Moby

Dick
Surprising pick Aldo, did you just pick Stiles to be a sub?

Both Danilo and Stiles were on my shortlist for the last midfield space (going for someone else though)
I picked him to give me a more defensive alternative in midfield. Depends on the opposition.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
It's not really a waste, though. I can understand where you are coming from and surely he will add more to the midfield battle than Hidegkuti, but Kempes was a really complete and versatile attacking player. Over here, he is playing off Romario, an inside forward if you will, which is well suited for him, given his high levels of mobility and work rate. He was never a traditional number 10.
He wasn't a traditional number ten but he was a perfect number ten. He isn't like a Platini who will carve out great cutting edge passes. But he will work his socks off in the midfield battle and he has the energy to get in the box late which makes him so difficult to mark. He scored most of his goals coming in to the box late. You're right in that he isn't waste in his position but certainly not used to his max either but of course that's just my opinion buddy!

Moby

Dick
He wasn't a traditional number ten but he was a perfect number ten. He isn't like a Platini who will carve out great cutting edge passes. But he will work his socks off in the midfield battle and he has the energy to get in the box late which makes him so difficult to mark. He scored most of his goals coming in to the box late. You're right in that he isn't waste in his position but certainly not used to his max either but of course that's just my opinion buddy!
Fair enough. When I picked him I never had him down as a number 10 because I want my number 10 to be creative and set up the front three, that's my first and foremost requirement. Kempes being such a versatile player helps that a lot. You can probably compare him to the old school Rooney who would play a roaming role on the left side and provide excellent work rate while also contributing fully to the attacking play. Hence, I always had Kempes in that left sided inside forward-ish role. Specially considering I have Romario up front, he should benefit a lot from a roaming forward (a la Stoichkov at Barca).

RoadTrip

Fair enough. When I picked him I never had him down as a number 10 because I want my number 10 to be creative and set up the front three, that's my first and foremost requirement. Kempes being such a versatile player helps that a lot. You can probably compare him to the old school Rooney who would play a roaming role on the left side and provide excellent work rate while also contributing fully to the attacking play. Hence, I always had Kempes in that left sided inside forward-ish role. Specially considering I have Romario up front, he should benefit a lot from a roaming forward (a la Stoichkov at Barca).
That's fair enough too!

Annahnomoss

I think if you turn it around and ask "Who is more suited for the left wing role" you will also get the answer "Kempes". That is the entire problem isn't it? The reason why Hidegkuti is central and Kampos is slightly wider?

I would probably use them the same way if I wanted a 4-2-4.

Annahnomoss

I think you did really well at building the team around that fact. Romario is so incredibly dangerous inside the box but he isn't going to be the hard working player defensively or the creator. Now you have others capable of making up for that and you also have Garrincha who gets to find Romario with his crosses. :drool:

RoadTrip

I think if you turn it around and ask "Who is more suited for the left wing role" you will also get the answer "Kempes". That is the entire problem isn't it? The reason why Hidegkuti is central and Kampos is slightly wider?

I would probably use them the same way if I wanted a 4-2-4.
I agree - don't get me wrong with those players I'd do the same thing. Anyway let's leave it for the matches! I'm not expressing what I mean clearly right now, I've had a few cold ones =p.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Sorry :lol:

Was debating over a player so got a few games up to see what he was like - I'll post now

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Antonio Rattin - Dominant Argentinian Captain

Sent off against England in one of the World Cups most controversial ever refereeing decisions, kicking off one of footballs great international rivalries

RoadTrip

Pol 1. Maradona 2. P. Maldini 3. Breitner 4. Zizinho 5. Boniek 6. Ocwirk 7. Zito 8. Ferdinand 9. Cohen 10. Careca 11. Gregg
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. Cristiano Ronaldo 7. Lev Yashin 8. Lúcio 9. Leandro 10. Grosso 11. Sneijder
Aldo 1. Garrincha 2. Romário 3. Scirea 4. Gentile 5. Kempes 6. Ballack 7. Lizarazu 8. Burgnich 9. Hidegkuti 10. Danilo 11. Stiles
Theon 1. Beckenbauer 2. Zico 3. Baggio 4. Kohler 5. R. Carlos 6. Socrates 7. Andrade 8. Van Hanegem 9. Maier 10. Piola 11. Rattin
Rpitroda 1. Zidane 2. Masopust 3. Varela 4. Desailly 5. Batistuta 6. Nasazzi 7. Figo 8. Zoff 9. Eyzaguirre 10. Hagi 11. Marinho Chagas
Paceme 1. Platini 2. Rijkaard 3. Djalma Santos 4. Thuram 5. Tigana 6. Ademir 7. Cabrini 8. C. Maldini 9. Clodoaldo 10. Voronin
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo 2. Cannavaro 3. Rivaldo 4. Brehme 5. Vieira 6. Coluna 7. Schiaffino 8. Kahn 9. Julinho 10. Mauro Ramos
Desert 1.Moore 2. Meazza 3. Passarella 4. Busquets 5. Makélélé 6. Pirlo 7. Messi 8. Caniggia 9.Branco 10. Grosics
Annah 1. Didi 2. Iniesta 3. Ronaldinho 4. Stoichkov 5. Leonidas 6. Lahm 7. Vicente Lucas 8. Bellini 9. Stam 10. Zambrotta
Crappy/Pippa 1. Fontaine 2. Krol 3. Kopa 4. Vogts 5. Dunga 6. Ruggeri 7. Tarantini 8. Leonel Sanchez 9. Mauro Silva 10. Ricardo Zamora
Fergus 1. Matthäus 2. Falcao 3. Rivelino 4. Nilton Santos 5. Karlheinz Förster 6. Chumpitaz 7. Tostao 8. Manuel Amoros 9. Banks 10. Rummenigge
Balu/NM 1. Cruyff 2. Jairzinho 3. Carlos Alberto 4. Davids 5. Silvio Marzolini 6. Frank de Boer 7. Forlan 8. Gilmar 9. Ceulemans 10. Haan
Anto 1. Puskas 2. Neeskens 3. Bozsik 4. Czibor 5. Ghiggia 6. Junior 7. Mazurkiewicz 8. Gamarra 9. Seeler 10. Chilavert
Gio. 1. Eusebio 2. Figueroa 3. Laudrup 4. Xavi 5. Keane 6. Da Guia 7. Briegel 8. Lato 9. Zagallo 10. Jorginho
Cutch 1. Müller 2. Facchetti 3. Cafu 4. Santamaría 5. Cubillas 6. Bergomi 7. Monti 8. Nesta 9. F Albert 10. F Walter
TITO 1. Charlton 2. Baresi 3. Zanetti 4. Schnellinger 5. Tardelli 6. Paolo Rossi 7. Perfumo 8. Vavá 9. Gascoigne 10. Cerezo

Moby

Dick
FYI I will be travelling whole day today (19 Dec) so in case it comes back to me just skip me. And anyway I need a keeper and both Pol and Cal have one so no issue.

Cutch

Northern Ireland. Stretty W3102, Row 2, Seat 129
Bit surprised by the last few picks, with Pol, Cal and Aldo all now with 7 europeans if my sums are correct. Thought Rpitodra would have been going for a 1970 or before left back, as he's only got the 4 meeting that criteria at present (Eyzaguirre, Nasazzi, Varela, Masopust). Zoff didnt play til 74.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Theon 1. Beckenbauer 2. Zico 3. Baggio 4. Kohler 5. R. Carlos 6. Socrates 7. Andrade 8. Van Hanegem 9. Maier 10. Piola 11. Rattin
Rpitroda 1. Zidane 2. Masopust 3. Varela 4. Desailly 5. Batistuta 6. Nasazzi 7. Figo 8. Zoff 9. Eyzaguirre 10. Hagi 11. Marinho Chagas
Paceme 1. Platini 2. Rijkaard 3. Djalma Santos 4. Thuram 5. Tigana 6. Ademir 7. Cabrini 8. C. Maldini 9. Clodoaldo 10. Voronin 11. Jair
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo 2. Cannavaro 3. Rivaldo 4. Brehme 5. Vieira 6. Coluna 7. Schiaffino 8. Kahn 9. Julinho 10. Mauro Ramos 11. Buzánszky

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Paceme 1. Platini 2. Rijkaard 3. Djalma Santos 4. Thuram 5. Tigana 6. Ademir 7. Cabrini 8. C. Maldini 9. Clodoaldo 10. Voronin 11. Jair
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo 2. Cannavaro 3. Rivaldo 4. Brehme 5. Vieira 6. Coluna 7. Schiaffino 8. Kahn 9. Julinho 10. Mauro Ramos 11. Buzánszky
Desert 1.Moore 2. Meazza 3. Passarella 4. Busquets 5. Makélélé 6. Pirlo 7. Messi 8. Caniggia 9.Branco 10. Grosics 11. Novak

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Annah is usually asleep at this time anyway, no need to rush. I think he usually comes on around noon.

RoadTrip

Bit surprised by the last few picks, with Pol, Cal and Aldo all now with 7 europeans if my sums are correct. Thought Rpitodra would have been going for a 1970 or before left back, as he's only got the 4 meeting that criteria at present (Eyzaguirre, Nasazzi, Varela, Masopust). Zoff didnt play til 74.
Shit, thats a miscalculation on Zoff. (By me)