Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
And he is not wrong. He was the best player in the world until Maradona waltzed around England, then Belgium and played Burruchaga through on goal.

Should be easy enough to get a compilation/highlights from Euro 84. Magnificent.
The Euros are often incredibly tough tournaments yet rarely get the outstanding players the recognition they deserve. It's all about the worldcup, which is really sad in some cases like Platini and Rummenigge for example.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
The Euros are often incredibly tough tournaments yet rarely get the outstanding players the recognition they deserve. It's all about the worldcup, which is really sad in some cases like Platini and Rummenigge for example.
And Schmeichel. Has a goalkeeper ever had a better tournament than him in '90?

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
And Schmeichel. Has a goalkeeper ever had a better tournament than him in '90?
I'd argue Kahn in 02 was better up until the final, but well, after the final, the answer is probably no.

There are many more players who played an outstanding Euro but never excelled at a worldcup, Netzer is another great example in 72.

Snow

I'd argue Kahn in 02 was better up until the final, but well, after the final, the answer is probably no.

There are many more players who played an outstanding Euro but never excelled at a worldcup, Netzer is another great example in 72.
And with, as a German, that puts it beyond the doubt that Schmeichel was better :smirk:

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
That one fecking ball, the moment it dropped and Ronaldo scored, Kahn was never the same again. Still good, but he was almost invincible for 4 years and that was gone after that moment :(.

Annahnomoss

What does that mean? Until? He played in 2 different World Cups. In '86 and '98. Denmark didn't qualify for '90 or '94.
What does the age have to do with it? He was the main main of a team that wouldn't be there at all if not for him or his brother. Like you said, he was in the team of the tournament, having played 5 games. 2 of those were against France and Brazil, the two best teams of the tournament.

My point is that Laudrup is much higher rated outside of a WC draft. He produced all his best football outside of the world-cup. He had his best tournament at the age of 34 when his club-team was Vissel Kobe who were playing in Japans second league.

He had a good tournament and his inclusion was fair, I am not at all insinuating that it wasn't. I don't rate Laudrup higher than Hagi for example who was just picked. Of course Laudrup is a big name and will get votes, nobody knows he was pretty much retired already.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Anto wrote a brilliant post about Platini in the 'tiers of greatness thread' he linked above. That's really worth a read about how deep the perception of a player can fall despite being so incredibly brilliant for such a long time.

edit:
that post:
https://www.redcafe.net/threads/tiers-of-greatness.367894/page-8#post-13171432

I'm reading the thread now, quite enjoyable.

The posters in there know their stuff. Dailymotion has quite a few classic European matches so i'm going to knock them out, I watched United vs Juventus the other night.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Anyone going to be around for a while? Will be offline for a long while after...

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
What does that mean? Until? He played in 2 different World Cups. In '86 and '98. Denmark didn't qualify for '90 or '94.
What does the age have to do with it? He was the main main of a team that wouldn't be there at all if not for him or his brother. Like you said, he was in the team of the tournament, having played 5 games. 2 of those were against France and Brazil, the two best teams of the tournament.
Well yes he was immense in '86 as well when he was at his physical peak. It's up to the voters to decide whether they want fetch-and-carry, leave-defenders-on-their-arses '86 Laudrup or the cerebral, quick-minded and quick-footed genius of '98. He did plenty of both in both tournaments in any case.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Only been an hour chaps, here now

Hmm some more good picks, tough draft this.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Have to say there are a few players who, while I can kind of understand why they haven't been picked, really do deserve it especially in the context of this draft.

Snow

My point is that Laudrup is much higher rated outside of a WC draft. He produced all his best football outside of the world-cup. He had his best tournament at the age of 34 when his club-team was Vissel Kobe who were playing in Japans second league.

He had a good tournament and his inclusion was fair, I am not at all insinuating that it wasn't. I don't rate Laudrup higher than Hagi for example who was just picked. Of course Laudrup is a big name and will get votes, nobody knows he was pretty much retired already.
In this draft, you might be right to rate Hagi higher and I agree that he's rated higher if it's not limited to just the WC. It was the way you said it. That 'until'. Didn't fit seen as he's only played in two World Cups and played for a "mediocre" nation that really doesn't stand a chance of winning the thing. It's all the more impressive that a player from that kind of nation makes that kind of impact.

Annahnomoss

In this draft, you might be right to rate Hagi higher and I agree that he's rated higher if it's not limited to just the WC. It was the way you said it. That 'until'. Didn't fit seen as he's only played in two World Cups and played for a "mediocre" nation that really doesn't stand a chance of winning the thing. It's all the more impressive that a player from that kind of nation makes that kind of impact.

I see how it could cause confusion, my meaning of the "until" was more in relation to his age rather than how many World Cups he had.

Snow

I see how it could cause confusion, my meaning of the "until" was more in relation to his age rather than how many World Cups he had.
Fair enough. I just don't like seeing Laudrup mentioned as a player without him being referenced to gods is all.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Silvio Piola - 30 goals in 34 games for Italy, 5 goals in 4 games in the 1938 WC including two in the final

Moby

Dick
Danilo Alvim

One of the best technically refined holding midfielders of his generation, not only does he provide a good shield for the defense but also the ability to turn defense into attack in an instant. He constantly fed that strong Brazilian attack in the 50 WC and the benefited hugely from it.

Pol 1. Maradona 2. P. Maldini 3. Breitner 4. Zizinho 5. Boniek 6. Ocwirk 7. Zito 8. Ferdinand 9. Cohen
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. Cristiano Ronaldo 7. Lev Yashin 8. Lúcio 9. Leandro
Aldo 1. Garrincha 2. Romário 3. Scirea 4. Gentile 5. Kempes 6. Ballack 7. Lizarazu 8. Burgnich 9. Hidegkuti 10. Danilo
Theon 1. Beckenbauer 2. Zico 3. Baggio 4. Kohler 5. R. Carlos 6. Socrates 7. Andrade 8. Van Hanegem 9. Maier 10. Piola
Rpitroda 1. Zidane 2. Masopust 3. Varela 4. Desailly 5. Batistuta 6. Nasazzi 7. Figo 8. Zoff 9. Eyzaguirre 10. Hagi
Paceme 1. Platini 2. Rijkaard 3. Djalma Santos 4. Thuram 5. Tigana 6. Ademir 7. Cabrini 8. C. Maldini 9. Clodoaldo 10. Voronin
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo 2. Cannavaro 3. Rivaldo 4. Brehme 5. Vieira 6. Coluna 7. Schiaffino 8. Kahn 9. Julinho 10. Mauro Ramos
Desert 1.Moore 2. Meazza 3. Passarella 4. Busquets 5. Makélélé 6. Pirlo 7. Messi 8. Caniggia 9.Branco 10. Grosics
Annah 1. Didi 2. Iniesta 3. Ronaldinho 4. Stoichkov 5. Leonidas 6. Lahm 7. Vicente Lucas 8. Bellini 9. Stam 10. Zambrotta
Crappy/Pippa 1. Fontaine 2. Krol 3. Kopa 4. Vogts 5. Dunga 6. Ruggeri 7. Tarantini 8. Leonel Sanchez 9. Mauro Silva 10. Ricardo Zamora
Fergus 1. Matthäus 2. Falcao 3. Rivelino 4. Nilton Santos 5. Karlheinz Förster 6. Chumpitaz 7. Tostao 8. Manuel Amoros 9. Banks 10. Rummenigge
Balu/NM 1. Cruyff 2. Jairzinho 3. Carlos Alberto 4. Davids 5. Silvio Marzolini 6. Frank de Boer 7. Forlan 8. Gilmar 9. Ceulemans 10. Haan
Anto 1. Puskas 2. Neeskens 3. Bozsik 4. Czibor 5. Ghiggia 6. Junior 7. Mazurkiewicz 8. Gamarra 9. Seeler 10. Chilavert
Gio. 1. Eusebio 2. Figueroa 3. Laudrup 4. Xavi 5. Keane 6. Da Guia 7. Briegel 8. Lato 9. Zagallo 10. Jorginho
Cutch 1. Müller 2. Facchetti 3. Cafu 4. Santamaría 5. Cubillas 6. Bergomi 7. Monti 8. Nesta 9. F Albert 10. F Walter
TITO 1. Charlton 2. Baresi 3. Zanetti 4. Schnellinger 5. Tardelli 6. Paolo Rossi 7. Perfumo 8. Vavá 9. Gascoigne 10. Cerezo[/quote]

Polaroid

I still think that's harsh on his worldcup in 82, he was brilliant in the beginning, just got unlucky with his injury during the tournament.
Don't get me wrong Balu, I am not saying he should not be in this draft, just that he was not at his best and there is another more suitable fit for my team. Change this to an all-time draft and I would take Kalle in a heartbeat.

Annahnomoss

Cal picks Grosso.

Pol 1. Maradona 2. P. Maldini 3. Breitner 4. Zizinho 5. Boniek 6. Ocwirk 7. Zito 8. Ferdinand 9. Cohen
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. Cristiano Ronaldo 7. Lev Yashin 8. Lúcio 9. Leandro 10. Grosso
Aldo 1. Garrincha 2. Romário 3. Scirea 4. Gentile 5. Kempes 6. Ballack 7. Lizarazu 8. Burgnich 9. Hidegkuti 10. Danilo
Theon 1. Beckenbauer 2. Zico 3. Baggio 4. Kohler 5. R. Carlos 6. Socrates 7. Andrade 8. Van Hanegem 9. Maier 10. Piola
Rpitroda 1. Zidane 2. Masopust 3. Varela 4. Desailly 5. Batistuta 6. Nasazzi 7. Figo 8. Zoff 9. Eyzaguirre 10. Hagi
Paceme 1. Platini 2. Rijkaard 3. Djalma Santos 4. Thuram 5. Tigana 6. Ademir 7. Cabrini 8. C. Maldini 9. Clodoaldo 10. Voronin
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo 2. Cannavaro 3. Rivaldo 4. Brehme 5. Vieira 6. Coluna 7. Schiaffino 8. Kahn 9. Julinho 10. Mauro Ramos
Desert 1.Moore 2. Meazza 3. Passarella 4. Busquets 5. Makélélé 6. Pirlo 7. Messi 8. Caniggia 9.Branco 10. Grosics
Annah 1. Didi 2. Iniesta 3. Ronaldinho 4. Stoichkov 5. Leonidas 6. Lahm 7. Vicente Lucas 8. Bellini 9. Stam 10. Zambrotta
Crappy/Pippa 1. Fontaine 2. Krol 3. Kopa 4. Vogts 5. Dunga 6. Ruggeri 7. Tarantini 8. Leonel Sanchez 9. Mauro Silva 10. Ricardo Zamora
Fergus 1. Matthäus 2. Falcao 3. Rivelino 4. Nilton Santos 5. Karlheinz Förster 6. Chumpitaz 7. Tostao 8. Manuel Amoros 9. Banks 10. Rummenigge
Balu/NM 1. Cruyff 2. Jairzinho 3. Carlos Alberto 4. Davids 5. Silvio Marzolini 6. Frank de Boer 7. Forlan 8. Gilmar 9. Ceulemans 10. Haan
Anto 1. Puskas 2. Neeskens 3. Bozsik 4. Czibor 5. Ghiggia 6. Junior 7. Mazurkiewicz 8. Gamarra 9. Seeler 10. Chilavert
Gio. 1. Eusebio 2. Figueroa 3. Laudrup 4. Xavi 5. Keane 6. Da Guia 7. Briegel 8. Lato 9. Zagallo 10. Jorginho
Cutch 1. Müller 2. Facchetti 3. Cafu 4. Santamaría 5. Cubillas 6. Bergomi 7. Monti 8. Nesta 9. F Albert 10. F Walter
TITO 1. Charlton 2. Baresi 3. Zanetti 4. Schnellinger 5. Tardelli 6. Paolo Rossi 7. Perfumo 8. Vavá 9. Gascoigne 10. Cerezo

Polaroid

Pol 1. Maradona 2. P. Maldini 3. Breitner 4. Zizinho 5. Boniek 6. Ocwirk 7. Zito 8. Ferdinand 9. Cohen 10. Careca 11. Gregg
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. Cristiano Ronaldo 7. Lev Yashin 8. Lúcio 9. Leandro 10. Grosso
TITO 1. Charlton 2. Baresi 3. Zanetti 4. Schnellinger 5. Tardelli 6. Paolo Rossi 7. Perfumo 8. Vavá 9. Gascoigne 10. Cerezo

Annahnomoss

Pol 1. Maradona 2. P. Maldini 3. Breitner 4. Zizinho 5. Boniek 6. Ocwirk 7. Zito 8. Ferdinand 9. Cohen 10. Careca 11. Gregg
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. Cristiano Ronaldo 7. Lev Yashin 8. Lúcio 9. Leandro 10. Grosso 11. Sneijder

Snow

Two good "final" picks there Pol. Ridiculous to only have 2 Brazilians. You've straightened that out.

Moby

Dick
Yeah it's pretty attacking and almost a 4-2-4. Having fullbacks who usually won't need help from the wide players is helpful in implementing that.

Annahnomoss

Yeah it's pretty attacking and almost a 4-2-4. Having fullbacks who usually won't need help from the wide players is helpful in implementing that.

I like that you waited with the number 10/AM pick until very late as usually people go the exact opposite route. You got a great player really late because of it.

Moby

Dick
I like that you waited with the number 10/AM pick until very late as usually people go the exact opposite route. You got a great player really late because of it.
Yeah, I had Ballack earlier to give me that flexibility so if I didn't get a good number 10 I would have played him there. For two cycles straight I had anto down as one who will pick Hidegkuti and no one else, as he didn't I got lucky.

Annahnomoss

Yeah, I had Ballack earlier to give me that flexibility so if I didn't get a good number 10 I would have played him there. For two cycles straight I had anto down as one who will pick Hidegkuti and no one else, as he didn't I got lucky.

That was a nice strategy, as far as 4-2-4 goes it is very impressive. Of course always risky to play such formations so it will be interesting to see how the voters look at it.

Moby

Dick
That was a nice strategy, as far as 4-2-4 goes it is very impressive. Of course always risky to play such formations so it will be interesting to see how the voters look at it.
Yeah, I usually pick a lot more defensive teams and prefer everyone apart from the striker to put a foot in, I think this is a rare instance I've gone for such an attacking line up so let's see.

Annahnomoss

Yeah, I usually pick a lot more defensive teams and prefer everyone apart from the striker to put a foot in, I think this is a rare instance I've gone for such an attacking line up so let's see.

Yeah it is why it will be interesting. Not many people combine a 4-2-4 with class picks so for me it will be the first time seeing how the voters will look at that.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'm trying to figure out how Cal will line-up, but I really have no idea how you can fit Pele, Kocsis, Gerson, C. Ronaldo, Overath and Sneijder in one team?
Something like:​
Ronaldo Pele Kocsis​
Sneijder Overath​
Gerson​
???​
That looks like goals, lots and lots of goals for both teams.​