Fantasy Tournament: World Cup All-Time All-Stars

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
What do people make of Planicka compared to Zoff? For my first game I don't have a choice but going forward will impact my picks greatly given they are different in all three categories (location, wins and pre/post 70), so interested to know what you guys think.

Edit: everything except location***

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I'd really be for drawing the matches while we wait so we can make write-ups etc in the meanwhile. Would just be nice with an extra day for that.
Do we really start matches before christmas? I'm not sure that's a good idea actually.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Do curved arrows score bonus points? =P.
I guess not, most people seem to have problems with footballers running in a straight line as pointed out by a straight arrow (at least that's what I'm told), I have no idea what they think if you confuse them with curved arrows :lol:.

paceme

Golly Gilmore
“What’s the matter, lager boy, scared you might ta
WTF? Do you have trouble with righ and left? I feel like I'm looking into a mirror. BTW, Jair played inside, he wasn't an out and out winger for Brazil (Chico and Friaca were).

Yeah, I don't like the fac t that if you want to make a slight change you need to restart all over again. Better than printscreen and cropping, mind.

I just dumped everyone on there :lol: I know he played as an inside forward, he will be cutting inside whenever he has the ball. I think of it similar to most 4-2-3-1s these days with the two 'wide' players given freedom to roam wherever, hence why Cabrini is sitting back. As I said, he sits there to provide an outlet on counters, not to hug the touch line.

Annahnomoss

Do we really start matches before christmas? I'm not sure that's a good idea actually.

I don't want to start them, just make the draws so instead of 13 people waiting for 3, those 13 can use the time in preparing for their game.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
They are awesome and give you complete design freedom.

Here's the crux of it: Magyars + perfect Magyar fits, Uruguayan right flank, Paraguayan core (that's what had me in two minds on whether to pick Carvalho, a better partner overall, but may as well have completed the trio). And Junior, who is brilliant, and is writing the Underdog United samba anthem as we speak.

I'm still confused why Neeskens and Seeler have the same colour, sorry, me and my boring and logical world can't comprehend artistic freedom like that. You do know that Netherlands isn't part of Germany, right? Different nations, different people, differently mentality, slightly different language. Okay they still sing in their national anthem about how they descend from German blood, but still we deserve different colours, I'm sure of it. They also never played together in a team, I'm not even sure, if they ever played against each other at all.

/edit:
okay I get it now, they're the perfect Magyar fits, sorry, the picture was so overwhelming that I couldn't look past the colours to read the text :(.

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I'm still confused why Neeskens and Seeler have the same colour, sorry, me and my boring and logical world can't comprehend artistic freedom like that. You do know that Netherlands isn't part of Germany, right? Different nations, different people, differently mentality, slightly different language. Okay they still sing in their national anthem about how they descend from German blood, but still we deserve different colours, I'm sure of it. They also never played together in a team, I'm not even sure, if they ever played against each other at all.
Carvalho and Junior don't even get any colors!

Annahnomoss

More arrows :drool:. I love arrows. Can we make a role that says every team has to use at least 3 arrows in their formations? That would be awsome, mine wouldn't look as confusing then.

:lol: Seriously, how do you show Cruyffs involvement and movement by the use of graphics? He will be seen playing on both wings, as a striker, in the midfield. Will be a hard task to really show how influential he can be.

In reality I think he is one of the best players to build a team around as he has no problems stepping down to the midfield to have the ball at his feet.

Snow

Yeah, but it's better to not have a color at all, instead of sharing one with a Dutch player :lol:.
I will make a same type of sheet and have van Hanegem share his color with the German trio. It's even more fitting because it's van Hanegem.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I will make a same type of sheet and have van Hanegem share his color with the German trio. It's even more fitting because it's van Hanegem.
I think that hurts him way more than me. It's actually one of the reasons why I didn't want to pick him, I wouldn't have played him in the same team as any German player.

Won't hold it against your team in the games, of course, but it would have felt wrong to me anyway.

Thisistheone

What do people make of Planicka compared to Zoff? For my first game I don't have a choice but going forward will impact my picks greatly given they are different in all three categories (location, wins and pre/post 70), so interested to know what you guys think.

Edit: everything except location***
Good call I think. Keepers don't swing votes a great deal compared to the 10 outfield players. Which is why nearly everyone left it til the last round or two.

Snow

I think that hurts him way more than me. It's actually one of the reasons why I didn't want to pick him, I wouldn't have played him in the same team as any German player.

Won't hold it against your team in the games, of course, but it would have felt wrong to me anyway.
It's a new time we live in. Time of forgiveness and compassion.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
:lol: Seriously, how do you show Cruyffs involvement and movement by the use of graphics? He will be seen playing on both wings, as a striker, in the midfield. Will be a hard task to really show how influential he can be.

In reality I think he is one of the best players to build a team around as he has no problems stepping down to the midfield to have the ball at his feet.
Imentioned to Balu a few drafts ago instead of using arrows I considered placing a Boniek shirt at RM/RW/LW/2nd striker with a disclaimer: "no one has any idea where he will show up".

Ended up deciding against it as I would never hear the end of it, but it was very accurate IMO.

I think that's clearly an issue actually but then, I'm the one saying Varela would be a misfit in anything but a Uruguayan side... I fancy him in mine though, has good known company and a bunch of players the underdog under siege message would really appeal to.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Good call I think. Keepers don't swing votes a great deal compared to the 10 outfield players. Which is why nearly everyone left it til the last round or two.
Yeah, I just wanted those two specifically and couldn't see how prioritising them would put my other players at risk, but it was clear from the outset there were plenty of goalies around.

Still baffled by a few picks there, mind.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
I think that's clearly an issue actually but then, I'm the one saying Varela would be a misfit in anything but a Uruguayan side... I fancy him in mine though, has good known company and a bunch of players the underdog under siege message would really appeal to.
I thought about discussing it when he was picked, but then decided, it's not worth it. If the players fit each other on the pitch, then I'm fine. I'd have much more problem with someone trying to play Cruyff and Maradona in the same team, as van Hanegem next to Matthäus in midfield.

RoadTrip

Imentioned to Balu a few drafts ago instead of using arrows I considered placing a Boniek shirt at RM/RW/LW/2nd striker with a disclaimer: "no one has any idea where he will show up".

Ended up deciding against it as I would never hear the end of it, but it was very accurate IMO.

Leave Varela out of it =P.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
In case someone doesn't know the story, van Hanegem's father and I think 3 siblings were killed in the war and he never got over his hatred for Germany (I don't blame him for it, at all). I think it all became public knowledge, when he was the only player who didn't attend the gala dinner after the worldcup final in 74.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands

Jesus, lets not get ridiculous.

I'm sure lots of players have had problems with certain countries, its not at all surprising and should have no influence on this draft.

RoadTrip

In case someone doesn't know the story, van Hanegem's father and I think 3 siblings were killed in the war and he never got over his hatred for Germany (I don't blame him for it, at all). I think it all became public knowledge, when he was the only player who didn't attend the gala dinner after the worldcup final in 74.
I honestly think if we start considering things like this, it opens a lot of problems for all the teams. But each to their own methods of debating I guess.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Yeah, I said, I won't consider it, I only said, I wouldn't have done it. But I also wouldn't have picked Messi or some other players in this draft, so I don't see a problem, really. Thought it's still interesting to talk about.

Polaroid

Tentative schedule

1st round
Match 1 - 2 Jan
Match 2 - 4 Jan
Match 3 - 7 Jan
Match 4 - 9 Jan
Match 5 - 11 Jan
Match 6 - 14 Jan
Match 7 - 16 Jan
Match 8 - 18 Jan

Break of 5 days before draft of 4 rounds start on 23 Jan, before the QF draw

RoadTrip

Yeah, I said, I won't consider it, I only said, I wouldn't have done it. But I also wouldn't have picked Messi or some other players in this draft, so I don't see a problem, really. Thought it's still interesting to talk about.
Indeed! Didn't know that.

Fergus' son

Gets very easily confused

Interesting.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Tentative schedule

1st round
Match 1 - 2 Jan
Match 2 - 4 Jan
Match 3 - 7 Jan
Match 4 - 9 Jan
Match 5 - 11 Jan
Match 6 - 14 Jan
Match 7 - 16 Jan
Match 8 - 18 Jan

If possible, I'd very much like to be in the first half of the draw, I'll be on holiday with limited access from 11th onwards...

Polaroid

Will suggest that all use footballuser. Once the draw is out, teams on the left should line up with their GK at the top and teams on the right line up with GK at the bottom

crappycraperson

"Resident cricket authority"
Scout
Tentative schedule

1st round
Match 1 - 2 Jan
Match 2 - 4 Jan
Match 3 - 7 Jan
Match 4 - 9 Jan
Match 5 - 11 Jan
Match 6 - 14 Jan
Match 7 - 16 Jan
Match 8 - 18 Jan

I won't be free till 5th Jan. So please schedule mine from match 3 onwards

Polaroid

If possible, I'd very much like to be in the first half of the draw, I'll be on holiday with limited access from 11th onwards...
After the draw is out, we can make the switch. same for crappy

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Can't have a World Cup draft without this man getting picked - 4 goals in 3 matched including a hat-trick in the final, the only player ever to do so

Cal?

CR7 fan
Pol 1. Maradona 2. P. Maldini 3. Breitner 4. Zizinho 5. Boniek 6. Ocwirk 7. Zito 8. Ferdinand 9. Cohen 10. Careca 11. Gregg
Cal 1. Pelé 2. Sándor Kocsis 3. Gérson 4. Blanc 5. Overath 6. Cristiano Ronaldo 7. Lev Yashin 8. Lúcio 9. Leandro 10. Grosso 11. Sneijder 12. Luis Cubilla
Aldo 1. Garrincha 2. Romário 3. Scirea 4. Gentile 5. Kempes 6. Ballack 7. Lizarazu 8. Burgnich 9. Hidegkuti 10. Danilo 11. Stiles
Theon 1. Beckenbauer 2. Zico 3. Baggio 4. Kohler 5. R. Carlos 6. Socrates 7. Andrade 8. Van Hanegem 9. Maier 10. Piola 11. Rattin 12. Geoff Hurst
Rpitroda 1. Zidane 2. Masopust 3. Varela 4. Desailly 5. Batistuta 6. Nasazzi 7. Figo 8. Zoff 9. Eyzaguirre 10. Hagi 11. Marinho Chagas 12. František Plánička
Paceme 1. Platini 2. Rijkaard 3. Djalma Santos 4. Thuram 5. Tigana 6. Ademir 7. Cabrini 8. C. Maldini 9. Clodoaldo 10. Voronin 11. Jair 12. Taffarel
Jayvin 1. Ronaldo 2. Cannavaro 3. Rivaldo 4. Brehme 5. Vieira 6. Coluna 7. Schiaffino 8. Kahn 9. Julinho 10. Mauro Ramos 11. Buzánszky 12. Szymaniak
Desert 1.Moore 2. Meazza 3. Passarella 4. Busquets 5. Makélélé 6. Pirlo 7. Messi 8. Caniggia 9.Branco 10. Grosics 11. Novak 12.
Annah 1. Didi 2. Iniesta 3. Ronaldinho 4. Stoichkov 5. Leonidas 6. Lahm 7. Vicente Lucas 8. Bellini 9. Stam 10. Zambrotta 11. Carrizo 12. Gerets
Crappy/Pippa 1. Fontaine 2. Krol 3. Kopa 4. Vogts 5. Dunga 6. Ruggeri 7. Tarantini 8. Leonel Sanchez 9. Mauro Silva 10. Ricardo Zamora 11. Hamrin 12. Buffon
Fergus 1. Matthäus 2. Falcao 3. Rivelino 4. Nilton Santos 5. Karlheinz Förster 6. Chumpitaz 7. Tostao 8. Manuel Amoros 9. Banks 10. Rummenigge 11. Klinsmann 12. Preud’homme
Balu 1. Cruyff 2. Jairzinho 3. Carlos Alberto 4. Davids 5. Silvio Marzolini 6. Frank de Boer 7. Forlan 8. Gilmar 9. Ceulemans 10. Haan 11. Schwarzenbeck 12. Willi Schulz
Anto 1. Puskas 2. Neeskens 3. Bozsik 4. Czibor 5. Ghiggia 6. Junior 7. Mazurkiewicz 8. Gamarra 9. Seeler 10. Chilavert 11. Carvalho 12. Rodríguez Andrade
Gio. 1. Eusebio 2. Figueroa 3. Laudrup 4. Xavi 5. Keane 6. Da Guia 7. Briegel 8. Lato 9. Zagallo 10. Jorginho 11. Roma 12. Fillol
Cutch 1. Müller 2. Facchetti 3. Cafu 4. Santamaría 5. Cubillas 6. Bergomi 7. Monti 8. Nesta 9. F Albert 10. F Walter 11. Goycochea 12. Ayala
TITO 1. Charlton 2. Baresi 3. Schnellinger 4. Zanetti 5. Tardelli 6. Paolo Rossi 7. Perfumo 8. Vavá 9. Gascoigne 10. Cerezo 11. Carbajal 12. Asamoah

Annahnomoss

Can't we increase the speed a bit? Have 2 matches per day? That is how it always was in hte newbies and wen't really well.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
@Polaroid
Can't we play two matches on the same day, at least in the first round? Or do you have any bad experiences with 2 games at the same time?

Annahnomoss

Can't we play two matches on the same day, at least in the first round? Or do you have any bad experiences with 2 games at the same time?

Yes, please. It will just be incredibly boring to have 2 matches per month pretty much. Every draft I have been in has had 2 matches at the same time the first round and usually the 2nd too.

The first round should be a definite though.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
They might want a 2nd one, like a few other managers did :).