Farmer's League: how and when did this originate and become caf lexicon?

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Doesn't seem to be reference to the Ligue 1 without the aforementioned thrown in on here these days.

To what effect? Do people using this term not realise that so-called Farmer's league is the biggest exporter of talent in Europe?

Can someone explain this jibe, please.

Dec9003

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
It's from the same geniuses on Twitter that also came up with things like 'pace merchant'

Tarrou

are farmers leagues actually a thing? You'd like they'd too busy farming, and like even if they weren't like, why would there be a league of just farmers anyway?

Raven

To be fair, I've played in an actual farmers league (rural league anyway). I see why people might label it as such. Quality of football is poor and is exactly why PSG bottled it again.

Grylte

"nothing wrong with some friendly incest, bro"
are farmers leagues actually a thing? You'd like they'd too busy farming, and like even if they weren't like, why would there be a league of just farmers anyway?
That's honestly what i thought this thread was about :lol:

Trizy

It's an hilarious insult used as a stick to beat PSG and their players.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
To what effect? Do people using this term not realise that so-called Farmer's league is the biggest exporter of talent in Europe?

That’s the problem, I guess. Everyone decent fecks off.

The Eredivisie is the same. Massive producer of talent, but no-one would argue the standard is up there with the rest.

It’s basically a jibe at the standard of the league, and PSG at the same time. It’s saying that the standard is so low that the players are semi-pro and hence have other jobs. It’s also saying PSG don’t have to do very much to be successful because of this.

KennyBurner

Doesn't seem to be reference to the Ligue 1 without the aforementioned thrown in on here these days.

Don't get sucked into it. It all originates from twitter and banter between fans. You could also add plumbers to the list as well. basically any league outside the top 3 is a farmers league according too twitter.

Bola

Is it the Kronenburg advert that Cantona did? The one were the French hop farmers were treated like global superstars instead of the football players

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Yep - there's a video dotting around on youtube with the stats about this.
Massive links to loads of African countries talents, and a huge country all help them along.

TheScriptwriter

Supports
Juventus
Its the same when people say "he is not a premier league" player and when a player fails in the league, its "they can't handle the intensity". When premier league stars like Coutinho and Hazard fail in other countries you never hear anything.

Idxomer

The premier league has been average or worse for years and a few point that out.

binary bot
Its a meme used by that weird fanboy fraction on twitter to wind people up.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The 7th best team in the farmers league just beat the greatest team in the history of the universe (per BT sport) love to see it

fps

About three people said it ever and then it got cited in that internet way where a couple of idiots who should be ignored become the basis of discussion. Now everyone is using it as a straw man thing.

Schmeichel's Cartwheel

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Its the same when people say "he is not a premier league" player and when a player fails in the league, its "they can't handle the intensity". When premier league stars like Coutinho and Hazard fail in other countries you never hear anything.
As a fan of a team in another league, do you find the British media arrogant in assessment of the premier league to others? Because as a fan of United it’s something that’s bothered me for years.

Paul_Scholes18

The quality difference between the top 5 leagues is not that big. We see good sides from all of them in the CL, but also many that fails in the europa league too.

Jack-C20

Can someone give me a quick catch up? I’ve heard/seen jibes at the french league but never heard of the ‘farmer’ thing.

Web of Bissaka

Hence Farmer's League.

Their biggest clubs produced and harvest great talents to ship and sell to other teams in Europe at various leagues. Being rich from that, they are also strong enough to pool in and attract enough strong players to win their league more consistently than the other teams within. Good harvest of talents.

And then there's the rich teams boosted by rich owners who similarly win domestic competitions yearly always. Great harvest of trophies... locally.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Not sure what to make of that. Kind of funnyon one hand but surprised that a Frenchman in France would be following English language football banter to the extent that he'd know the term. Seems a bit sensitive unless it's just some PA in charge of his Twitter. I know English is a second language to many but I thought he'd be caught up in his own football culture. Maybe I'm just ignorant but I neither know nor care what people from other countries say or think about United or the premier league in their own languages and of course I'm not even a player. If I was I'd have even less time to consider such things.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
Still a farmers league. Last final in what, 2004?

Trezeguet17

Just take a look in the Transfer Forum. Sometimes you get the feeling "Premier League proven" is for some people more important than the players actual ability. It is like achievements of players don't count if they haven't achieved them in the prem (hyperbolical speaking)
And it is a pure English thing. I am around at many Fan Forums and never ever heard the term "La Liga proven" or "Bundesliga proven".