Father John Misty

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Ex-drummer for the Fleet Foxes, real name Josh Tillman. Pretty good, some brilliant songs imo so if you like Iron & Wine, Fleet Foxes, Bon Iver and the likes you'll probably like some of this guys stuff.

He's quite eccentric and I can't quite figure out whether I like his live performance 'acts'(such as the last video there, or whether he's just a bit of a pretentious dick with good music.

Archie Leach

Gooner
Supports
Arsenal
I love the album, probably my favourite this year along with D'Angelo. He's a tool though. He spends half the album boasting about how hot his wife is.

Chateau Lobby, Strange Encounter, Holy Shit, Bored in the USA, Nothing Good Ever Happens at the Goddamn Thirsty Crow are my favs.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I like him. His lyrics, at least on 'I Love You, Honeybear' are fairly humorous too.
I love the album, probably my favourite this year along with D'Angelo. He's a tool though. He spends half the album boasting about how hot his wife is.

Chateau Lobby, Strange Encounter, Holy Shit, Bored in the USA, Nothing Good Ever Happens at the Goddamn Thirsty Crow are my favs.
Nitpicking: Wasn't 'Black Messiah' from last year?

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
I own cancer and delirium , it's so depressing. I love it.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll

Yeah, he seems like a bit of a tool alright. Has some pretentious lyrics, but also some quite amusing ones to be fair.
I own cancer and delirium , it's so depressing. I love it.
Haven't listened to much of his J Tillman stuff, must get onto that next.

Jiggs'Hamstring

When I heard 'Hollywood Forever Cemetery Sings' a couple of years ago I thought it was incredible. Haven't heard anything else I've liked from him since. But the new record's getting amazing reviews so I'll keep trying with it.

Mojo_

its more fun being a feeder
Now we're on this indie trip; may I also throw in a band by the name of Okervil River; I'm sure there's a spelling mistake there somewhere, anyhow a very very good band indeed.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
Thought this thread was going to be about a paedophile priest.

sammymc

fear fun was my album of 2012 and honeybear is the best thing this year. Yep he's a bit pretentious but dont have a problem with that but what he does do is put on a good show, went to see him in the workingmans club, dublin in 2012 and last month in Whelans...2 of the best gigs Ive been to, if you get the chance to go see him do so.

here he is doing a cover of Heart Shaped Box by nirvana

and his own song Holy Shit

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Very good album. Probably lacks genuinely brilliant songs. Bored in the usa and the first half of the love song at the end are the only that hit such heights imo. I seem to really like parts of songs rather than full songs. Still will be one of the better albums this year.

Maagge

Interesting Facebook post from him:
Father John Misty said:
I had a very strange dream that I abruptly woke up from around 3am early this morning. I was crab-walking around a neighborhood in New Orleans that, though it does not exist, is a recurring location in my dreams. My childhood friend Brian Kawamura was was telling me I still owed the tennis rental place $7000 when the French psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan was suddenly standing over me, saying over and over, "The only thing crazier than a peasant who believes he is King, is a King who believes he is a King." He put one of those birthday Burger King crowns on my head and out of the clouds a sort of "Switched on Bach" version of "Ode To Joy" began to play. A crowd which had formed around me began to sing along, with tears streaming down their faces. The crowd was obviously hypnotized and I assumed if I crept away discreetly no one would notice. The earth became a sort of treadmill, and though the locations (The Great Wall of China, a McDonald's where I had my 3rd birthday, the town from Michael Haneke's The White Ribbon, Vignola's restaurant in Rockville, Md.), "Ode To Joy" and the crowd remained all around me. All of a sudden it was time to soundcheck, which I was late for, and Barack Obama offered to give me a ride on Air Force One. He told me he needed urgent advice regarding some important policy decisions, and we spent the day in Hawaii playing basketball, petting his dogs, golfing and the like when I, gripped with anxiety, told him I really needed to get to soundcheck so we needed to discuss the ruling of the free world. By this time he had turned into an obscene visage of my Father and said, "I have one injunction for you, son: That you enjoy life. It is by this mandate that all is ruled. It is the true tyranny; the equalizing force that binds us all." I jumped out of Air Force One and landed on top of this massive pink, sparkly, glowing blob that stretched for miles beyond miles, covering entire cities, and I had to keep gulping down chlorophyll because the thing was emitting insane levels of EMF's, so my mouth and hands were stained dark green. Down inside the blob I could see thousands of familiar faces and one of them was Lou Reed on a catwalk hand-cuffed to supermodels who had adopted babies handcuffed to them and Lou said, "Delete those tracks, don't summon the dead, I am not your plaything. The collection of souls is an expensive pastime." Then I woke up.
https://www.facebook.com/fatherjohnmisty/posts/866484873459098

Maagge

This fella's Instagram account is something else. He's like a parody of a parody or something.

LouisDanGaal

will have to check it out later, I thought his last album really tailed off, great 4 or 5 songs before just becoming very boring and unadventurous

Unlikely lad

Still trying to decide if the "Bedding Taylor Swift every night inside the Oculus Rift" line is pure, unadulterated genius or if it's just shit.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Father Chewie Lewie.

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Been listening to this a lot over the past few days and it's absolutely excellent. He's the best lyricist I've heard in a long time.

robinamicrowave

Wanted to be bran, ended up being littlefinger
Supports
Man City
Such a good lyricist, like him a lot. He's like some pretentious post-modern Elton John when I listen to him, it's great.

Stringer

His new album is my favourite one this year. Took a couple of listens initially as it isn't as varied as ' I Love You, Honeybear' but like every song on it now. 'So I'm Growing Old On Magic Mountain' is incredible.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Not as lush as ILYH but could be the better album. Randy Newman-ish, in a good way.