Favorite "ordinary" player to watch/support.

Mark_GrumpyLion

I was thinking about this today and I would love to hear your thoughts. We all enjoy watching the great players like Messi and Ronaldo play. But which ordinary players do you really enjoy and why?

For me, Lasse Schöne from Ajax is one player I will always enjoy watching and supporting. He's at his level at Ajax, but he's a very smart and versatile player in his own right.

Let's hear it guys.

derace

arnautovic

if he is in the mood he is such an awesome player to watch

dannyrhinos89

OMG socks and sandals lol!
Sorry but mine's Probably firmino :( He's actually a really good player.

Also I've liked watching Santi Cazorla for a few years now.

Billy Jim

Mines a bit of a weird one, but Tom Huddlestone.

Lovely crisp passer with both feet, great range, cracking shot. He just can't move.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Always liked Jordan Rhodes since his Huddersfield Town days. Would like to see him get a proper run in the Boro team as I think he'd score a couple of goals... but doubt that'll happen.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Wes Hoolahan - Remarkably positive footballer, always looking to make things happen and has really nice technique. 34 now and more exciting than ever to watch.

Beñat - Unlucky to be Spanish.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
I don't watch enough non-United matches to really say, but I used to love watching Morten Gamst Pederson play. Not sure if he'd fall in the ordinary bracket though.

SirAF

Ageist
For some reason I had a soft spot for Mark Viduka back in the days.

Ish

Lights on for Luke
I love to watch flair players.

Not sure if some of these would be classified as "ordinary" but:

Ginola (fued with Cantona aside), di Canio, Juninho (Boro), Denilson, Aimar, Vicente & Joaquin to name a few. Bolasie is suprisingly entertaining out of the current lot.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
My pick this year would be Henk Veerman. Great name and a massive striker (201 cm and built like a tank) with surprisingly quick feet and creative ideas at times. Not too long ago he was still working as a plasterer and playing as a semi-pro, considering to give up football because he made more money with his job. Now he's living the dream with a full professional contract playing for a nice eredivisie club and he started well this season.

In England it's more difficult because not that many players are avarage. Tadic is a genius at times. Maybe Gylfi Sigurðsson, nearly every time I've watched him over the years he scored a goal and looked very very good.

Schöne has been very enjoyable this season too, playing like a poor man's Iniesta at times.

Mark_GrumpyLion

My pick this year would be Henk Veerman. Great name and a massive striker (201 cm and built like a tank) with surprisingly quick feet and creative ideas at times. Not too long ago he was still working as a plasterer and playing as a semi-pro, considering to give up football because he made more money with his job. Now he's living the dream with a full professional contract playing for a nice eredivisie club and he started well this season.

In England it's more difficult because not that many players are avarage. Tadic is a genius at times. Maybe Gylfi Sigurðsson, nearly every time I've watched him over the years he scored a goal and looked very very good.

Schöne has been very enjoyable this season too, playing like a poor man's Iniesta at times.
Yeah, that's a good call. I made this thread after seeing that he was out for tomorrow and remembering that I really like him.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Dirk Kuyt obviously.
Some others:
Tom Beugelsdijk (ado)
Yassin Ayoub (fc Utrecht)
Duplan(ado)
Nathan Rutjes for his personality(Roda)

Last edited:

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Michail Antonio. Loved watching him at Wednesday. He's always looked capable of making a step up but it took a while for him to get the opportunity. Glad to see him in the Premier League and looking like he belongs.

He was offered an opportunity at Spurs when he was in his early teens, but his mum said no. Instead he worked his way up through non-league football. To miss out on that opportunity and to still make it in to the Premier League via a more difficult route is impressive.

He's great to watch. Powerful, two footed, monstrous in the air and a good dribbler. Never the most talented player on the pitch but often one of the most effective.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I've really enjoyed watching Andrew Hjulsager from Brøndby this season. Of course the whole team has performed better than previous seasons (finally), but he has been one of the most improved. Good feet, always looking to make something happen and very industrious. Plenty of assists and goals from him so far.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
James Tomkins. Chris Brunt. Sessegnon.

Arnautovic is a cnut.

Last edited:

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Mines a bit of a weird one, but Tom Huddlestone.

Lovely crisp passer with both feet, great range, cracking shot. He just can't move.
Agree actually. Has great technique always in how he connects with the ball.

Red_Aaron

I've always been of the opinion that Nathan Dyer is an excellent footballer and should have played for England, especially when you consider the dross that's been capped lately.

He's not exceptional by any means but he is very much a rarity for an Englishman in that his touch is very good in tight areas, rarely misplaces a pass and is an intelligent runner. He's a shortarse though and had he been 6in taller i reckon he could've been a top player

I've bored my friends with this opinion many a time and they had a good laugh at my expense when he was deemed not good enough for Swansea and loaned out to lowly Leicester at the start of last season.

Needless to say i had the last laugh
/partridge