Favourite Commentator?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
So when you watch his best commentary moments in the video above you don’t think it’s pretty epic? Genuinely gives me goosebumps that video.
No, he just shouts like a nutjob most of the time. Agression and "passion" isn't the only thing in commentary for me. His rosey intros also annoy me. To be fair to him, Gray did the same thing, but he was the spice added to the classic commentary of Tyler. I think they call the loud ones 'colour' commentary? (May be mistaken). But for me they should be used to add some flavour to the normal sane and intelligent sounding voice that takes you through a football match. Drury's regular voice is too boring IMO.

Tyler (accompanied by Gray) and Tyldesley have really great commentating voices for me.

TrustInJanuzaj

'Liverpool are a proper club'
No, he just shouts like a nutjob most of the time. Agression and "passion" isn't the only thing in commentary for me. His rosey intros also annoy me. To be fair to him, Gray did the same thing, but he was the spice added to the classic commentary of Tyler. I think they call the loud ones 'colour' commentary? (May be mistaken). But for me they should be used to add some flavour to the normal sane and intelligent sounding voice that takes you through a football match. Drury's regular voice is too boring IMO.

Tyler (accompanied by Gray) and Tyldesley have really great commentating voices for me.
Personally I’m abit of a football romantic on commentary, I love to watch back old goals and commentary moments can amplify that. I think Drury does a fantastic job of enhancing certain goals and memories. “RED LETTER DAY, SCOTT MCTOMINAY!” Awesome commentary at the Manchester Derby last year. To be fair I used to love Gray for the same reason. He had so much passion and I attached that to many of my favourite goals. “Take a bow son”.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Personally I’m abit of a football romantic on commentary, I love to watch back old goals and commentary moments can amplify that. I think Drury does a fantastic job of enhancing certain goals and memories. “RED LETTER DAY, SCOTT MCTOMINAY!” Awesome commentary at the Manchester Derby last year. To be fair I used to love Gray for the same reason. He had so much passion and I attached that to many of my favourite goals. “Take a bow son”.
Fair enough. You're probably right about those specific moments. I just think the regular voice that takes you through a game (not the 'epic' moments) needs to be much more calm and better sounding. Even in the regular moments his voice is still that boisterous one which comes across as pretentious. But to each their own.

Matt007a

Barry Davies for me. Never tried too hard to be noticed but spoke with clarity and passion none the less.

Tyler and Gray was a great partnership in the 90s and early 00s. I think what I like about those older games is actually the lower sound quality. You could hear them having to shout to be heard when there was a goal and it added to the immersion that you were there and the noise was in your living room. Now the sound is so crystal clear it sounds like they’re in an office and not even in the stadium. That was before Covid too.

Barry Davies for me. Never tried too hard to be noticed but spoke with clarity and passion none the less.

Tyler and Gray was a great partnership in the 90s and early 00s. I think what I like about those older games is actually the lower sound quality. You could hear them having to shout to be heard when there was a goal and it added to the immersion that you were there and the noise was in your living room. Now the sound is so crystal clear it sounds like they’re in an office and not even in the stadium. That was before Covid too.
i despise Tyler’s “and it’s live” catchphrase now - it’s just awful, and feels like he has to muster up some strength to blurt it out.

i agree Tyler and Gray were great at the start of the PL and in the 90’s - it felt fresh and dynamic.

these days I don’t know It’s better when I don’t notice who is commentating. It’s often the CL-commentators that ruin it for me. Especially in the occasion they have 2 co-commentators, or even worse Jamie Redknapp at pitchside talking his usual bollocks.

JanK

Supports
Napoli
I like this Spanish commentator a lot. When it's live, then I can peacefully be in another room and I feel what's going on in the game. Although my Spanish is weak a f, I still enjoy the commentary. He brings the atmosphere to you.

In England, Martin Tyler is a legend. I always feel like his volume button is tuned a bit higher compared to other ones. And he has the ability to create an atmosphere, too. Actually I like Gary Neville, too. Even with his orgasmic reactions.

In Italy, there are two massive legends - Caressa and Zampa. One has a vibe with him (I think it came in 2006 when Italy won the WC) and Zampa is just something different.
Caressa gives ultimate goosebumps.

Zampa would jump in front of a train with his family for AS Roma and it is felt in his commentating. But it makes him unique.

How pure the emotions can be? He is crying. This is just amazing.

Reactions: Cheimoon

GueRed

Brian Moore. (RIP) cant believe its 20 years since he passed. ITV legend.

Peter Brackley. (RIP) Channel 4 Football Italia Legend.

Jonathan Pearce. For Radio Only. Loved listening to him commentate United games on Capital Gold.

Martin Tyler, Clive Tyldsley and Peter Drury are good.

Darren Fletcher is the best of the new generation coming through I think

GueRed

as for co-comentators Andy Gray by far my favourite.

Closely followed by Ron Atkinson (before racist tirade) then Andy Townsend.

as for co-comentators Andy Gray by far my favourite.

Closely followed by Ron Atkinson (before racist tirade) then Andy Townsend.
i can’t get past the tactics truck with Townsend. I enjoyed Atkinson as well. I don’t think there were many ex-managers who did that role before him.

Of the modern day ones, I quite like Hoddle and dare I say it… McManaman.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I used to love the radio commentary by Peter Jones and Bryon Butler, so many good memories. Also Jimmy Armfield was an excellent co commentator.
Yep, one of the best co commentators on radio. Calm and articulate but not at all sensationalist.

RUCK4444

None. They all get on my tits recently.

I especially hate it when they all place some extreme importance on players who used to play for the opposition team... who cares?

I find them more annoying than the fake crowd noise.

BlackBen

Clive Tyldesley & Andy Gray just because of FIFA 07 .

Peter Drury is my current favorite although sometimes it feels like he’s trying too hard to be poetic.

George the Cat

Brian Moore. (RIP) cant believe its 20 years since he passed. ITV legend.

Peter Brackley. (RIP) Channel 4 Football Italia Legend.

Jonathan Pearce. For Radio Only. Loved listening to him commentate United games on Capital Gold.

Martin Tyler, Clive Tyldsley and Peter Drury are good.

Darren Fletcher is the best of the new generation coming through I think
I like Jonathan Pearce on MOTD too, for me he’s the best out there nowadays.
I really don’t like Drury or Fletcher on BT who cannot hide his ABU credentials.

stubie

1. Brian Moore
2. Barry Davies
3. Peter Brackley

out of the current ones I like the freelancers Dan Mason & Warren Boyce who have done work for BT, also think Dave Stowell is decent as well

GueRed

i can’t get past the tactics truck with Townsend. I enjoyed Atkinson as well. I don’t think there were many ex-managers who did that role before him.

Of the modern day ones, I quite like Hoddle and dare I say it… McManaman.
haha the Townsend truck only lasted a few weeks.

Ron Atkinson was good, insightful and was always positive with United. At a time when ABU was at it's height it was refreshing.

Cant stand McManaman :)

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Who was that commentator/reporter that was involved in some dodgy stuff a couple of years back ?

Gentleman Jim

It's absolutely amazing! Perfect even.
Supports
city
Peter Drury head and shoulders the best of the current crop.
Barry Davies was terrific too.

Favourite analysts are Efan Ekoku and Nedum Onuaha.

MC89

Supports
Celtic
Ian Crocker, always remember lambert’s goal..... and there queuing up heeeeere.

GueRed

Ian Crocker, always remember lambert’s goal..... and there queuing up heeeeere.

I like Ian Crocker. Did a lot of Premiership games in the 90's as well as Scottish.

Nowadays I think its only Scottish.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Robbie Savage as much as people want to call him a cnut he see’s it through a footballers eyes...
Came to same that. Quite often I catch him on BT lately and I don't mind him. Seems to know what he's talking about with a nice little slight United bias which is okay when it comes to European games imo. Compared to hypercorrective anti United bias from Gaz it's good for a change sometimes.

Xaviesta

Supports
Barcelona
My top 5 in order. Tyler might not everybody's cup of tea but I'm not exposed to his Sky Sports commentary. On the world feed of the Premier League and the Champions League and SBS Australia for World Cups, he's very good.

Barry Davies
Brian Moore
Jon Champion
Martin Tyler
Peter Drury

croadyman

Yeah Brian Moore for me as well, in fact rather than watching City beat Palace I enjoyed an old Big Match Live from 91/92 with him and Ian St John in their pomp doing an Arsenal v Spurs game

Dr. StrangeHate

Andy Gray, Martin Tyler, and the guy who said "you couldn't write a fairly tale like that".

Forgot the best one of all, Jimmy Liddel.

Last edited: