Favourite Commentator?

OverratedOpinion

I just watched a video of Peter Drury's best commentary moments and it got me thinking as to who fans favourite commentators are.

Drury genuinely gives me goosebumps at times so he would probably be my choice, how about yourselves?

Quite interested in fans from France, Spain, Italy and Germany. Are there real legends like Martin Tyler for instance.

EvilChuck

Clive Tyldesley always made European games seem important, to the point where even a game with 2 teams you didnt care about was must watch

FatTails

I liked a younger Martin Tyler. I don’t know how to say this nicely, but he’s hard to listen to these days. Sounds like he’s running out of breath all the time.

Probably Drury.

Reactions: Cheimoon

Deery

Dreary
Robbie Savage as much as people want to call him a cnut he see’s it through a footballers eyes...

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
I liked a younger Martin Tyler. I don’t know how to say this nicely, but he’s hard to listen to these days. Sounds like he’s running out of breath all the time.
Same. He peaked for the Macheda goal. He was okay pre-Aguero.

Him and Andy Gray were a good team back in the day.

OverratedOpinion

Clive Tyldesley always made European games seem important, to the point where even a game with 2 teams you didnt care about was must watch
What I was thinking when watching the Drury video is how on earth do they sound so passionate about a game that they probably don't give a shit about?

It is actually a real talent.

OverratedOpinion

I think my favourite ever commentary moment was Tyldesley and it was actually Batistuta's goal against United.

"What a fantastic hit" and he sounded genuinely scared by the power the ball had just been struck with.

Zoo

If we’re talking currently then it really is slim pickings. Standards are so bad that “Fletch” and Sam Matterface have top commentary gigs.

A notable exception would be the combo of Jon Champion and Ally McCoist.

Chairman Steve

Barry Davies was under appreciated in my opinion. Clive Tydlesley is good too but strays a little too much into MUTV mode every once in a while.

1990s and 2000s Martin Tyler was pretty good too.

OnlyTwoDaSilvas

Gullible
Clive Tyldesley. I don't even know if he's a good commentator. I just associate his distinct voice with Champions League coverage on ITV.

I liked Martin Tyler throughout the 90s and 00's. He used to just commentate, now he seems to go off on bizarre tangents. He also has a knack for sounding very excited when one team scores and utterly miserable when the other team scores. It's like he's got money on the game.

Motson too, before he started to lose it a bit. Similar to Tyldesley, just an iconic voice.

ArjenIsM3

None of the Dutch ones that's for sure. They're always slagging off United, unless we're winning 6-2 of course, then they say stuff like "of course United were favourites".. :rolleyes:

ShinjiNinja26

Clive Tyldesley for me. I think it’s because I grew up with him commentating the Champions League so it always seemed a big occasion. It’s the same with the PL I always associate it with Andy Gray and Martin Tyler.

OverratedOpinion

None of the Dutch ones that's for sure. They're always slagging off United, unless we're winning 6-2 of course, then they say stuff like "of course United were favourites".. :rolleyes:
Haha I have listened to a couple on streams and they always seemed to sound totally disinterested in the game, makes sense as they were United games.

Tottenhamguy

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Does anyone know the name of this commentator? He covers a lot of German football

Edit: His name is Phil Bonney. He did the commentary to the game when Lewandoski scored 5 goals in 9 minutes.

Last edited:

Berbaclass

Clive Tyldesley. I don't even know if he's a good commentator. I just associate his distinct voice with Champions League coverage on ITV.

I liked Martin Tyler throughout the 90s and 00's. He used to just commentate, now he seems to go off on bizarre tangents. He also has a knack for sounding very excited when one team scores and utterly miserable when the other team scores. It's like he's got money on the game.

Motson too, before he started to lose it a bit. Similar to Tyldesley, just an iconic voice.
He's basically turned into Alan Partridge at Swaffham County Fayre

klayton88

The one commentator I genuinely enjoy listening to is Glen Hoddle. Really insightful, can tell he has a great footballing brain. Doesn't hog the mic (Jenas/Savage).

“Put your brain into gear and if you can add to what’s on the screen then do it, otherwise shut up” - Richie Benaud.

Jacko21

Peter Drury’s commentary for South Africa’s opening goal in the 2010 World Cup is so so good.

Berbaclass

I think Drury is a bit cringy, almost like he's trying a bit too hard to say something clever most of the time.