Favourites to win World Cup?

Cantona_7_

Very few people have Maradona above Messi.

Maradona existed in a period where football was romantic and a single player could truly run a whole game, and arguably a whole season. Maradona’s Napoli achievements will be unique forever. It was like Vardy at Leicester but on steroids. His WC win in 86 was as good a tournament performance as you’ll ever see.

It’s unfair to expect Messi to achieve the same. He’s clearly a better player. But I’d rather have been a Napoli fan in 1990 than a Barca fan, in any Messi year.
I don't think this is so clearly, Maradona really were several steps over everybody else in his time, Messi obviously got a greater career but talent wise I think its close

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
I don't think this is so clearly, Maradona really were several steps over everybody else in his time, Messi obviously got a greater career but talent wise I think its close
Honestly mate, any kind of comparison is ridiculous.

Maradona would have smacked seven bells of shit out of Pep if he’d been forced into that Barca side.

Messi probably would have struggled against 90’s Serie A defences while in a team that asked him to do everything.

But… they were both perfect players for their time. Messi is underrated. Maradona has his perfection stretched over a period it didn’t cover.

christy87

Supports
Dipping tea in toast
Hopefully Brazil or Argentina, it's been 20 years of European dominance, Portugal and Netherlands have a good shout if they can get a good run in the tournament, can't see France doing it they could implode if anything and England will shit the bed.

Cantona_7_

yea I agree with you on everything you say exept that Messi is underrated

NewYorkRed

France easily but I do think DD may have overstayed his welcome there and could be the reason they don’t win. Then any out of Brazil, Portugal, USA ;).

ROFLUTION

Not many in this thread are looking at the paths the countries have to the final.

Spain/Germany (same group) will possibly face Brazil and Belgium/Croatia on their way to the semis.

The “easiest” paths to go to the semis are France/Denmark and England + Netherlands + Argentina imo.

they possibly face mexico/argentina/netherlands/france/ecuador/england/denmark on the way to the semis. At the semis everything can happen so the best form-team (or least knackered with good width) from these mentioned could reach the final.

not saying any of these will win it, but many favorites i.e Brazil/Spain/Germany/Belgium will meet each other and have a tough route to the final.

If not for injuries I’d say France but we (Denmark) have beaten them twice now lately so they’re not the same state as last time around. Best form teams of these outsiders are probably Argentina, Netherlands and Denmark imo. As seen at the euros Denmark just doesnt have enough quality in width for this format though like a nation like England (many games for few players), which is probably why a big nation with quality all around will win it again this time around.

Last edited:

The Brown Bull

It's Coming Home.
I am so pissed off at FIFA over this World Cup! It’s just not right having it in December in fcuking Quatar! Normally less than two months from a World Cup I would be getting exciting but not this time. I will be taking Eric’s advice and not watching. Fcuk FIFA.

Bert_

Pretty unpredictable I reckon. You can't underestimate how hard it is to switch mentality from club football to an international tournament. Far easier when you're domestic season is done and dusted and it's your sole focus! Which applies to the vast majority of players in the top teams at least. Can see some unfancied teams going deep into the latter stages. Could well end up being the only thing that keeps it interesting as it's hard to get excited about tournament held in a desert by oil barons at the best of times.

Reactions: Invictus

Swordsman

They do have an outside chance, not as much as Germany France etc but probably the 4-5th best squad. For one even without a striker they can play 2-3 attackers, CR7 may also regain form for one last hurray just in time for their “pass the ball to CR7” tactic.
Prepare your razor, you have a 10% chance of shaving it bald
I shall take my chances..90% to keep my hair is more than enough.

avgp_1

Not many in this thread are looking at the paths the countries have to the final.

Spain/Germany (same group) will possibly face Brazil and Belgium/Croatia on their way to the semis.

The “easiest” paths to go to the semis are France/Denmark and England + Netherlands + Argentina imo.

they possibly face mexico/argentina/netherlands/france/ecuador/england/denmark on the way to the semis. At the semis everything can happen so the best form-team (or least knackered with good width) from these mentioned could reach the final.

not saying any of these will win it, but many favorites i.e Brazil/Spain/Germany/Belgium will meet each other and have a tough route to the final.

If not for injuries I’d say France but we (Denmark) have beaten them twice now lately so they’re not the same state as last time around. Best form teams of these outsiders are probably Argentina, Netherlands and Denmark imo. As seen at the euros Denmark just doesnt have enough quality in width for this format though like a nation like England (many games for few players), which is probably why a big nation with quality all around will win it again this time around.
Well said. The draw really gave Brazil and Spain the short stick. Argentina for me have the best possible chance to clinch it, they could well have a similar path to the final as 2014 and then having experienced the Copa win, they can finally go into a final with the confidence of having won one.

antk

Wouldn’t rule out Spain getting to the final, teams packed with world class players and it’s almost impossible to get the ball off them.
Really? I have trouble naming more than 3. Pedri, Laporte, Carvajal...

And then? Ramos, Thiago, Torres, Gavi? Don't get me wrong there are good players but Spain looks exactly like a "more than a sum of its parts" team to me.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Really? I have trouble naming more than 3. Pedri, Laporte, Carvajal...

And then? Ramos, Thiago, Torres, Gavi? Don't get me wrong there are good players but Spain looks exactly like a "more than a sum of its parts" team to me.
I think they have very good midfield with Pedri, Gavi, Rodi, Busquets, Thiago

Busquets/Rodri
Gavi/Thiago Pedri

danamann

My personal favourites are the Netherlands and Brazil. Expect Belgium, Portugal and Spain to disappoint.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
I expect at least one if not two teams not mentioned in all these favourite lists to make the semis.

Always the same names rolled out, always half of them turn out to be complete dogshit.

Thunderhead

Supports
City
i've already backed Argentina, don't think there is any clear favorite and stuck £25 of my free skybet credits I'd been saving for the WC on them at 10's

RVN1991

Brazil
Argentina
France

Would love a Brazil V Argentina final. I think France matches them in quality, especially with Benzema back but I feel they have some injury issues that might hurt them, although some of their younger alternatives (Saliba/Tchouameni/Camavinga) could soften the blow.

MalaysianRed7

I really think that Denmark have a chance, and am very surprised that they haven’t had as much as a mere mention in this thread. They really impress me in every international break and have done so since the Euros especially. Really solid at the back and creative in attack, with a lot of players who don’t sound amazing but do a really good job in terms of what they are told to do (Maehle, Stryger Larsen, Delaney, Poulsen etc). Most importantly, they have a great team spirit and I’m sure perspective on life as a whole after what happened to Christian at the Euros. All this was epitomised by the defeat of France in June where København’s Cornelius of all people scored twice, notwithstanding the total outclassing of the world and Nations League champions last month, orchestrated by Eriksen. I hope and think that they will top the group over France. The only problem for them is that once they reach the latter stages, I’m not sure how they’ll cope with the pressure having never even made a World Cup semi final in their entire history. Nevertheless, @Scandi Red said that he thinks a first time winner is possible, and I fully agree.

Otherwise, I really fancy Argentina. They look extremely solid and have excellent options at the back in the form of Martinez (GK), Martinez, Romero and Otamendi, and their front options aren’t too shabby either for very obvious reasons. The entire squad and manager also looks to be pulling in the same direction, and that is to get Messi his elusive first World Cup title. That can go a very long way, as shown by them winning the Copa America on Brazilian turf last year. Messi has also hit form again at the perfect time, and I think at this point, he is simply too old, experienced and of course good to freeze on the biggest stage at his last ever World Cup, which he has unfortunately done in the past. The only problem for them is, if Denmark do top their group as I predict them to, they will be playing France in the RO16. There might be some PTSD there from 2018.

Then we have Brazil who are invariably and deservedly favourites at every World Cup. Forget the world class likely starters such as Alisson, Marquinhos, Silva, Casemiro, Neymar and Vini Jr. It’s more so that they’ll be able to call on the likes of Ederson, Rodrygo, Guimaraes, Antony and Jesus from the bench if needs be. They have by far the best depth of any nation at the World Cup and play the most easy on the eye football, which you expect from Brazil anyway but don’t necessarily always get, such as in 2014 where they were awful to watch. We will get it from them this time though. The only warning I could give this brilliant side is to wake up early in the tournament, as they could be sucker punched by Portugal or Uruguay in the RO16. Brazil have been knocked out by the first serious nation they faced in each of the last 4 World Cups (France in 2006, Netherlands in 2010, Germany in 2014 and Belgium in 2018).

Overall, I’d say, from most to least likely to end up as winners:

1) Brazil
2) Argentina
3) Denmark
4) Spain
5) Germany
6) Netherlands
7) Belgium
8) France - It just doesn’t look like a dynamic, happy camp.
9) Senegal
10) England - I live there and enjoy doing so, so it would be nice if England won it just to give the nation a morale boost. However, any objective person can see that it simply will not happen for a multitude of reasons. The only reason they get in my list over Portugal is because of the kind draw. Sneak past Senegal, albeit as per my list, I wouldn’t even make them favourites to do that, and anything is possible when there are only 8 teams remaining.

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Argentina Portugal final?

Martinez and Dalot to score….while Messi and Ronaldo sit on the bench:D

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
I'm trying to find the odds for Ireland but I'm hitting a brick wall.

Swordsman

Very few people have Maradona above Messi.

Maradona existed in a period where football was romantic and a single player could truly run a whole game, and arguably a whole season. Maradona’s Napoli achievements will be unique forever. It was like Vardy at Leicester but on steroids. His WC win in 86 was as good a tournament performance as you’ll ever see.

It’s unfair to expect Messi to achieve the same. He’s clearly a better player. But I’d rather have been a Napoli fan in 1990 than a Barca fan, in any Messi year.
Are you still Napoli fan now ?

Castia

Feels like there’s absolutely zero hype

I have to keep reminding myself that it starts in a matter of weeks.

Argentina to win it.

P-Ro

"Full Member"
Supports
Chelsea and AFC Wimbledon
When Flick was made Germany manager I fancied them. Have changed my mind since and feel Spain will win it. Also Morata at 33/1 for top goalscorer might not be a bad shout.
More chance of Harry Maguire getting the golden boot than that big girls blouse.

Strelok

Probably Ronaldo. If not him then Andre Silva, Goncalo Ramos, or Joao Felix.
It'll be Ronaldo. Their coach simply doesn't have the balls to drop him.
They do have an outside chance, not as much as Germany France etc but probably the 4-5th best squad. For one even without a striker they can play 2-3 attackers, CR7 may also regain form for one last hurray just in time for their “pass the ball to CR7” tactic.
Prepare your razor, you have a 10% chance of shaving it bald
Imo the chance of Portugal winning the WC with Ronaldo starting is pretty much the same with them out from groups stage. Tbh similar to United they'd be a much better team without him imo. I watched some Portugal games in the last Euro and he was simply non existent in most of them. And he's even regressed considerably since.

Real Name

Its strange to see some posters mentioning Denmark or Senegal but not one mentioned Croatia, even as a dark horse.

Oh well.

Shakesy

WW Head of Recruiting
Semis: Brazil v Germany and Argentina v France
Finals: Germany v France
Winner: Germany

Favorites: Brazil (red hot till semis)

Disappointing: England (quarters implosion when Southgate subs in celery for GK and gets Kane to set himself on fire @stolenfromsomeposteridontremember)

Swoobs

Supports
Florentina
It'll be Ronaldo. Their coach simply doesn't have the balls to drop him.

Imo the chance of Portugal winning the WC with Ronaldo starting is pretty much the same with them out from groups stage. Tbh similar to United they'd be a much better team without him imo. I watched some Portugal games in the last Euro and he was simply non existent in most of them. And he's even regressed considerably since.
Ya I get that point about Ronaldo, I have been saying for at least 2 years that he made teams worse (not only this season although he still had goals in him previously) only for CR7 fans to jump at me :lol:
However we cannot rule out that he can suddenly produce goals in a short-lived purple patch in the WC, even if he makes the team worse but goals win you games

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
'Because Germany' can never be discounted. That 2002 team that got to the final had absolutely no business being anywhere near it if they were wearing any other shirt.:lol:
The draw makes a big difference. Germany's route to the final in 2002 - Ireland, Cameroon and Saudi Arabia in the group stages, followed by Paraguay, USA and South Korea - was a freak event. Even then they struggled to get past most of those sides to the extent that Kahn won the Golden Ball.

Strelok

Ya I get that point about Ronaldo, I have been saying for at least 2 years that he made teams worse (not only this season although he still had goals in him previously) only for CR7 fans to jump at me :lol:
However we cannot rule out that he can suddenly produce goals in a short-lived purple patch in the WC, even if he makes the team worse but goals win you games
That scenario is surely possible. NT football can be quite unpredictable sometime. But imo based on what we've seen of him the last two years it's almost impossible imo.

Club football is usually much more well oiled than NT football so it's actually easier for old past it strikers to score. NT football is less well oiled, thus to score you'd often have to rely on moments of brilliance from your forwards or mistakes from your opponents. That's why you'd often see many young forwards suddenly rose after these tournaments. They're young and fast this kind of game suit them. Problem with Ronaldo is he's no longer fast or powerful so unless some miracle happens I don't think he'd have a good WC.

carvajal

Supports
Real Madrid
I'd say Brazil. Their attack is dazzling but someone has to rise up alongside or above Neymar. Vini, Rodrygo, Antony...
I think Argentina are lacking in midfield although Scaloni seems to be doing very well.
I don't have an opinion on Germany because I haven't seen them with this coach.
In theory, France, even with some injuries, is the most complete team, but maybe this Deschamps project is exhausted.
I rule out Portugal, not because of their talent but because of their coach.
As a surprise I would like Uruguay,at least for the semis. Araújo,Valverde,Darwin,Giménez,Betancur seems a good base(I don't know if Suárez gives the level or if Cavani keeps going).
Spain, I don't trust the CB, Busquets is not well and we need Ansu Fati.
I can imagine what you or my five year old son can imagine. Ball control, lack of goals and a team with a top class attack punishing us. In any case quarter or semis seems reasonable.

DevTheRed

Not many people saying Italy? They’ve looked great at times under Mancini.

Couldn’t resist. Brazil or Argentina!