FBI investigation leads to indictments of FIFA Officials on corruption charges

Status
Not open for further replies.

Barca84

Supports
Doesn't support Barca
I dunno but Fifa must have thought so.
There's no way whatsoever the FAI had a case and I don't think FIFA thought so either. It's a bribe to a cash strapped football association in return for their support (sound familiar?) not fear of any impending legal action. This has clearly been FIFA's primary modus operandi for maintaining their power base and the FAI are talking out of their arse on this one. They took a bung just like so many others have. Add this to the hugely embarassing mewling that emanated from the FAI following elimination of their national team and the whole saga is pretty pitiful.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
There's no way whatsoever the FAI had a case and I don't think FIFA thought so either. It's a bribe to a cash strapped football association in return for their support (sound familiar?) not fear of any impending legal action. This has clearly been FIFA's primary modus operandi for maintaining their power base and the FAI are talking out of their arse on this one. They took a bung just like so many others have. Add this to the hugely embarassing mewling that emanated from the FAI following elimination of their national team and the whole saga is pretty pitiful.
The FAI are a shower of pricks anyway, so pitiful behaviour is not surprising. I think you are right on the legal issues too, in that there were none. I was embarrassed by the talk at the time. The money was probably hush money in general, as opposed to being specificly about the handball. With so much to hide FIFA didn't need anybody rocking any boat, no matter how small.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
That's what I thought too.

Ireland got screwed over by the ref, but that happens all the time, it's football. What were the FAI going to do? Appeal the ref's call? Makes no sense. Every team that lose an important match through a dubious offside call might make the same argument.

Much more likely that FIFA gave the FAI the money to keep them generally happy, achieving two ends: Put a quick stop to any further murmuring about France not really deserving their place in the upcoming WC – and secure the Irish vote in upcoming elections.

A general sort of bribe, in other words – not proper blackmail on the FAI's part.

Ugly no matter how you look at it, of course. And I wonder what happened to that money.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
It wasn't a mere bribe - it (potentially) compromised the FAI...which was likely part of FIFA's plan, not to mention their probable policy in general.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
I'd love to see a Team America World Police sequel where they take down FIFA with Sepp Blatter depicted as a Blofeld type villain, just like he is in real life.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
It wasn't a mere bribe - it (potentially) compromised the FAI...which was likely part of FIFA's plan, not to mention their probable policy in general.
Yes – that's the thing. If you hand someone five mill under the table you're a crook, but you also make a crook of the sap who happily accepts it.

And if, against all odds, the other guy is actually an honest man – well, then, you just say he misunderstood your intentions if he makes a fuss about it.

It's a good scheme. But sooner or later...

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
I'd love to see a Team America World Police sequel where they take down FIFA with Sepp Blatter depicted as a Blofeld type villain, just like he is in real life.
At some point they'd be lured to Blazers secret apartment of dangerous pets.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Wonder if bribes and kickbacks will be an option in FIFA 16
There's going to be a mini-game when you try and select a stadium to play in, you first have to 'secure the agreement' of the relevant FA by kicking a bag of money over a series of moving FBI posters into their grubby hands.

ArmandTamzarian

Supports
Liverpool
At some point they'd be lured to Blazers secret apartment of dangerous pets.
:lol:

After esaping Blazer's apartment of dangerous pets they then corner Blazer who starts laughing maniacly, Team Amercan look at each other puzzed when Blazer suddenly reveals he is...

A JEDI KNIGHT!

feck me there is so much material here :lol:

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
Didn't know Irina was Blatter's lover before meeting Ronaldo. I'm sure Blatter bribed her.

Kentonio

Scout
Supports
Chelsea
Daily Mash said:
Traces of FIFA found on 80 per cent of banknotes

FOUR in every five banknotes has been used for an illegal payment by FIFA, investigators have confirmed.
Currencies from the euro to the dollar to the Angolan kwanza contain clear traces of FIFA’s sweaty fingers when illuminated under ultraviolet light.

An FBI spokesman said: “Almost every note in your wallet has, at one time, been used in a multimillion dollar bribe between football federations, usually in squalid toilets.

“When riffled through, the banknotes issue a whispering sound which, when amplified 100 times, says ‘It’s for the good of world football,’ and ‘they’re only opposing Qatar because they’re racist’.

“The historical figures that appear on the notes, from Egypt’s Rameses II to the UK’s Adam Smith, have all begun to resemble Sepp Blatter’s distinctive, ‘bummed turtle’ countenance.

“And, if left sealed in a vault, they will begin to move very gradually toward Switzerland as if going home.”

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
Yes – that's the thing. If you hand someone five mill under the table you're a crook, but you also make a crook of the sap who happily accepts it.

And if, against all odds, the other guy is actually an honest man – well, then, you just say he misunderstood your intentions if he makes a fuss about it.

It's a good scheme. But sooner or later...
Delaney is a dick.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?

After esaping Blazer's apartment of dangerous pets they then corner Blazer who starts laughing maniacly, Team Amercan look at each other puzzed when Blazer suddenly reveals he is...

A JEDI KNIGHT!

feck me there is so much material here :lol:

We could stretch this to a trilogy.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
The FAI are a shower of pricks anyway, so pitiful behaviour is not surprising. I think you are right on the legal issues too, in that there were none. I was embarrassed by the talk at the time. The money was probably hush money in general, as opposed to being specificly about the handball. With so much to hide FIFA didn't need anybody rocking any boat, no matter how small.
Obviously the Irish had no case, but the money was just to keep them from affecting the World Cup in terms of PR and attention. They, and sponsors, wouldn't have wanted to hear the Irish complain about tournament and the negative publicity.

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Blatter banged Irina Shayk? The things Ronaldo does for that Golden Ball. :lol:

unchanged_lineup

Tarheel Tech Wizard
Leaving A Breakfast On All Of Your Doorsteps
Supports
Janet jazz jazz jam
Here's the latest from Ireland...

Friday’s FAI statement begins: “This action is being taken because Fifa has confirmed the transaction. As such, it is the view of the FAI Board who met today, that they are no longer obliged to abide by the confidentiality agreement with Fifa.This is also being done to demonstrate that the Board of the Association acted at all times in the best interests of Irish football, and in full compliance with Irish company law.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...-banking-details-of-5m-fifa-payment-1.2239375

Also, if you haven't checked out this yet, it'd be good for a guffaw-a-minute if it wasn't for the terrifying fact of realising how many people probably trust this for information and are on Jack "ZOMG CONSPIRACY" Warner's side..

http://sunshinett.com/epaper/107/107.html

JustFootballFan

Thinks Balotelli & Pogba look the same
Supports
Liverpool
Today is the beginning of a new era. Gone are the days of corruption and manipulation. Just pure honest football. As a result Scotland mauled Qatar.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Here's the latest from Ireland...

Friday’s FAI statement begins: “This action is being taken because Fifa has confirmed the transaction. As such, it is the view of the FAI Board who met today, that they are no longer obliged to abide by the confidentiality agreement with Fifa.This is also being done to demonstrate that the Board of the Association acted at all times in the best interests of Irish football, and in full compliance with Irish company law.”

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/soc...-banking-details-of-5m-fifa-payment-1.2239375

Also, if you haven't checked out this yet, it'd be good for a guffaw-a-minute if it wasn't for the terrifying fact of realising how many people probably trust this for information and are on Jack "ZOMG CONSPIRACY" Warner's side..

http://sunshinett.com/epaper/107/107.html
They actually have link to the contract between FIFA and FAI - signed by Jerome Valcke no less!

http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/2094246-fai-document-1.html

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Those Shayks up to no good again...

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
So if the Times had the tapes 5 years ago, why are they coming out now?

Also, it was pretty clear Blatter wanted a sub-Saharan country to get the 2010 World Cup. Morocco and Egypt really didn't have much of a chance for 2010. All four other bids were from North Africa. He would have given 2006 to South Africa if the New Zealand ExCo member had voted like he was supposed to rather than abstaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.